Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

Baseball is a crazy game. I don't really have any issues with most of the decisions Espada has made this year, but almost none of them have worked out. He won't get a 2nd year at this point, but not because he's made horrible managerial decisions. Just crazy how some managers just have better luck than others. It's what I love, and hate, about baseball. It really is a game of inches and lucky/skillful managerial decisions. 

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Altuve’s gonna keep running those bases like a madman, until there’s a free run on the table.   That’s when you stop.  It’s not worth it unless there’s a degree of difficulty attached.  

I am not as confident as I was three days ago.  

12 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

.  Damn shoulda kept Maton and Neris. 

Their 7.71 and 6.75 ERA’s, respectively, aren’t exactly what I’d want in our bullpen….

The roles they’d fill in this pen are at 4.50 (Scott) and 2.45 (Montero)

it’s our lockdown 7/8/9 guys that are unbelievably putrid right now.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

on the bright side, 6 of 7 losses have been to NYY and Texas - both are very good clubs.  Play the shit teams and climb back to .500. 

Yeah.

not concerned until the end of April. I feared this type of start when the schedule came out (and still fear it’s going to get worse before it goes better).

it’s clear this team is all out of sorts and can’t find its rhythm…yet . Blame a new coach, news guys in new roles, injuries, complacency. But they’ll find it eventually 

Edited by UTexasFight

4 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Yeah.

not concerned until the end of April. I feared  tonight start when the schedule came out (and still fear it’s going to get worse before it goes better).

it’s clear this team is all out of sorts and can’t find its rhythm…yet . Blame a new coach, news guys in new roles, injuries, complacency. But they’ll find it eventually 

This is usually me, but there is usually some bad luck or a key injury to help me look forward to brighter days.  Outside of the two wins, we have seen a LOT of bad baseball.  Bad approaches at the plate.  Badly located pitches.   Bad base-running.  Starting pitching has been the one slightly bright spot, and even that has faltered a couple of times.  

Bregs looks horrible.   J. Abreu looks even worse so far than he did while purportedly  injured last year.  Altuve is hitting, but his TOOTBLANing is worse.  Despite some decent results, Yordan has been missing a lot of meaty pitches.   I can’t even begin to talk about the bullpen.  

Of course it can all turn around, but I’m seeing more worrisome signs than bright spots for now.  I’ll always root for this team and hold out hope, but my confidence in them is fading rapidly.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe we will turn this around at some point, but this looks and feels different than other years when we started slow. Who knows. Baseball is the hardest sport to predict. We just have so many issues right now and for me it’s mainly the offense and consistency. Every fucking game it’s meaningless singles followed by pop outs or strikeouts to 4-5 home runs and a blowout win. The bullpen against the Yankees wouldn’t have lost had we scored fucking runs so why the bullpen does blow ass it would be nice if the offense could produce some runs and have a bigger lead going into the 7th inning. 

9 minutes ago, WBT said:

Y'all are funny

I know everyone is wishcasting on the season like it’s a for sure thing we’re just gonna turn it on and be in the alcs again but we aren’t very good right now and haven’t done anything to make anyone think we’re gonna be consistently better as the season goes on.

Right now we look like a 83 win team at best. Could that change when we get verlander and others back? Yea but seasons past can’t be the only thing you stand on as proof. Those teams had to actually turn it around to make us believers. We will see I guess. I hope we do turn it around and start winning some games with consistent scoring and not an explosion of runs every 4 games and then back to singles and strikeouts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

haven’t done anything to make anyone think we’re gonna be consistently better as the season goes on.

Only multi-year team and individual teack records.  But other than that, nothing.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, WBT said:

Only multi-year team and individual teack records.  But other than that, nothing.

So wishcasting off previous seasons? I mean at some point the window closes and we are who we are. I think in year 8 we are closer to being a 83 win team than a 95 win team. But I would love to be wrong, right now I’m just posting off what I see after 9 games. When it starts to change I’ll change my tune but that’s just me.

Speaking of. What’s your lowest win total that realistically gets us in the wild card? 87? 90?

Four times last season, the Astros had a stretch of at least 8 games when they won 2 or fewer games. The Rangers had five such stretches.

Astros
6/4–11:  2-6
6/15–4:  2-7
8/18–25:  2-6
9/11–19:  2-6

Rangers
6/7–16:  2-7
6/29–7/6:  2-6
7/21–30:  2-7
8/16–27:  1-9
8/30–9/8:  1-7

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m still a hard over. I’m going to laugh at all yall by the all star break. 

41 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I'm pretty sure you're right, but man, slow starts suck.

Ok.  I’m back in.  Rest of the season starts today!

10 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Ronel coming off a no hitter. What’s the history of guys after a no no? They usually get roughed up right? I just want to see the bats get going.

back to back no hitters