Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

23 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Β 

Stros keep playing like this and the city gonna be paying us to park, amirite?

Β 

(looks like they voted to β€œsend to committee” which the trash Chron article I read did absolutely nothing to explain what that means or when there will be further action on this)

Β 

Β 

Thats probably councils way of saying "we want to approve this, but we are also pussies and don't want to be the bad guys who approve it so we will send it to commitee so they can be the bad guys and approve or recommend approval"

8 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

At least there’s Masters coverage to flip over to when we’re down 4-0 by 1:30 todayΒ 

Weather delay and late start. Will be a shitshow there.Β 
also- yall are being silly. This is a good team w good team that has things going against them right now.Β 
we will be fine.Β 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

also- yall are being silly. This is a good team w good team that has things going against them right now.Β 
we will be fine.Β 

Correct.Β Β 

Some of y'all simply don't deserve this team.Β  Every time I see Astros fans get dragged for being little bitches I get pissed, then read this thread and realize our fans fucking suck.Β  Of course all fan groups suck when you get down to it.Β  The Astros can go 0-162 and I'll be disappointed but wouldn't lose a single second of sleep.Β  They have given me something I wanted my whole life and then got there 3 more times and did it again.Β  The Rangers spent ungodly amounts of money as did the Dodgers to get where they are right now.Β 

No front office stays together more than a few years if they are successful.Β  It could have been the greatest culture on earth and Sig and Stearns would have left.Β  Luhnow might still be here, and I hate that he's not.Β  The Astros should have stuck with him like the Red Sox did with Cora.Β  And if the culture in the office was good they would have.Β  It wasn't.Β  It was cut throat and so Crane's hands were tied.Β  And honestly 80% of you would have done the same thing.Β  Personally I would have told the commissioner to pound sand.Β  He has only the authority the owners allow him to have.Β Β 

I'm not asking people to pretend like better moves couldn't have been made, of course in hindsight that's true.Β  But ALL of you thought Abreu was at least the right signing.Β  Maybe not the best contract, but it was lauded EVERYWHERE, including here.Β  Same can be said for many of the moves.Β  Montero was ultimately a below market rate deal and had been outstanding the year before.Β  Even when they go and get Hader there is whining and bitching for getting the best closer in baseball.Β  The truth is if the team doesn't go 120-42 and sweep every Playoff series it isn't enough for some of you.Β  And it's a fucking beating to read.

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

Some of y'all simply don't deserve this team.Β  Every time I see Astros fans get dragged for being little bitches I get pissed, then read this thread and realize our fans fucking suck.Β 

1. Β This is my own fault, but I’ve been reading the comments in The Athletic and you just described every teams’ fans. Β 
Β 

2. Β I also think Houston fans, in general, have some entitlement to generational trauma from 30 years of getting SO close but not winning a championship until the Rockets in 94. Β The Oilers, in particular, are mostly to blame but also fuck the Mets, fuck Kevin Brown, fuck cocaine and the Celtics (frankly fuck Boston), etc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

1. Β This is my own fault, but I’ve been reading the comments in The Athletic and you just described every teams’ fans. Β 
Β 

2. Β I also think Houston fans, in general, have some entitlement to generational trauma from 30 years of getting SO close but not winning a championship until the Rockets in 94. Β The Oilers, in particular, are mostly to blame but also fuck the Mets, fuck Kevin Brown, fuck cocaine and the Celtics (frankly fuck Boston), etc.

All of this is true.Β  I even said all fans groups suck really.Β  I just liked thinking ours was above all of it, when I guess no one's fans are.

The Oilers were so special to me and caused generational trauma for sure.

I'm generally on board with the "team will be fine" sentiment, but they are using up a lot of runway early in the season.Β  April was a tough month on paper before the season started.Β  Combine that with the glacial start for several players, and things look way worse than they really are.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

Correct.Β Β 

Some of y'all simply don't deserve this team.Β  Every time I see Astros fans get dragged for being little bitches I get pissed, then read this thread and realize our fans fucking suck.Β  Of course all fan groups suck when you get down to it.Β  The Astros can go 0-162 and I'll be disappointed but wouldn't lose a single second of sleep.Β  They have given me something I wanted my whole life and then got there 3 more times and did it again.Β  The Rangers spent ungodly amounts of money as did the Dodgers to get where they are right now.Β 

No front office stays together more than a few years if they are successful.Β  It could have been the greatest culture on earth and Sig and Stearns would have left.Β  Luhnow might still be here, and I hate that he's not.Β  The Astros should have stuck with him like the Red Sox did with Cora.Β  And if the culture in the office was good they would have.Β  It wasn't.Β  It was cut throat and so Crane's hands were tied.Β  And honestly 80% of you would have done the same thing.Β  Personally I would have told the commissioner to pound sand.Β  He has only the authority the owners allow him to have.Β Β 

I'm not asking people to pretend like better moves couldn't have been made, of course in hindsight that's true.Β  But ALL of you thought Abreu was at least the right signing.Β  Maybe not the best contract, but it was lauded EVERYWHERE, including here.Β  Same can be said for many of the moves.Β  Montero was ultimately a below market rate deal and had been outstanding the year before.Β  Even when they go and get Hader there is whining and bitching for getting the best closer in baseball.Β  The truth is if the team doesn't go 120-42 and sweep every Playoff series it isn't enough for some of you.Β  And it's a fucking beating to read.

it's not about 2017-2023, but 2024 where the whining so far has been justified particularly because of the 1B , bullpen, and the perma-decline of Bregs. Pitching injuries matter a lot but when 3 or 4 hitters are worthless every game, that's a major concern.Β 

Β 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I'm generally on board with the "team will be fine" sentiment, but they are using up a lot of runway early in the season.Β  April was a tough month on paper before the season started.Β  Combine that with the glacial start for several players, and things look way worse than they really are.

Same, just hope it's not a mad sprint that ends up futile... which is what's easy to imagine for me even if I try to think positively about the team.

Edited by YChang

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

we will be fine.Β 

I thought you’d be on the plane crashing in the mountain team like myself, @Mitch HedbergΒ and @cabowaboΒ considering the foundation is crumbling with the piss poor performances by Espada and Dana and gutting of the analytics department.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

I'm not asking people to pretend like better moves couldn't have been made, of course in hindsight that's true.Β  But ALL of you thought Abreu was at least the right signing.Β  Maybe not the best contract, but it was lauded EVERYWHERE, including here.Β 

As much as it pains me to say, that pompous ass Keith Law actually was one of the few, if not only, writer who panned the signing at the time. Said his bat speed had shown signs of slowing down, and that trend likely wouldn't reverse. So, yeah, he pretty much nailed it.Β 

12 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

I thought you’d be on the plane crashing in the mountain team like myself, @Mitch HedbergΒ and @cabowaboΒ considering the foundation is crumbling with the piss poor performances by Espada and Dana and gutting of the analytics department.

Look at the lineup. They are performing 20% better than average and that’s what you’d expect for the year/ that’s really good. The sequencing will come.Β 
we’ve got a bunch of guys that we know are good on the IL right now that should come back, and are getting good stuff from some guys that are surprising. It will be a really good staff.Β 
I’m not worried about what everyone though would be the best back end of the pen in baseball 2 weeks ago.Β 
it’s fine. This year. I’m nervous in the intermediate to long term because no Luhnow.Β 
Β 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

it's not about 2017-2023, but 2024 where the whining so far has been justified particularly because of the 1B , bullpen, and the perma-decline of Bregs. Pitching injuries matter a lot but when 3 or 4 hitters are worthless every game, that's a major concern.Β 

Β 

Bregs starts like shit every year and ends up a 4 WAR player. Same as it ever was.Β 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

As much as it pains me to say, that pompous ass Keith Law actually was one of the few, if not only, writer who panned the signing at the time. Said his bat speed had shown signs of slowing down, and that trend likely wouldn't reverse.

He’s a 37 year old ball player and that’s in Cubano years-I don’t think expecting bat speed declines is indicative of any particular insight. Β 
Β 

The problem is the aging curve hasn’t been a curve, it’s been a cliff. Β We would be fine with Joey Vitro’s age 36-37 seasons (cherry picking here because Votto was terrible at 38). Β 
Β 

As far as overall run production, I have suspicion we’re going to look back at last year and this year’s team and see positives in run scoring but I feel the lineup construction lacks the ability to generate runs easily that maybe a more contact oriented team could produce. Β We seem to be very feast or famine. Β 

35 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

I've been a pretty good fan so far this year. Β I think I have at least.

• Haha 3

I say it at some point every year, and I will say it again this year.Β  The internet sports doom prophet is the easiest space to occupy online.Β  If the team outperforms your predictions of the sky falling, you get to be "pleasantly surprised."Β  But if things do go down the shitter, you get to say "I told you so!"Β  It's a nutless, soulless position that I have zero respect for.

By tying our allegiance to a particular team, we have all agreed to allow ourselves to be emotionally manipulated by the outcome of a child's game.Β  That's part of the allure of sports.Β  It is beyond me why someone would start that journey from a place of negativity.Β  The beauty of rooting for a sports team is the anticipation that something good is about to happen.Β  A negative outlook from the outset breaks the equation and sucks the joy out of being a fan.Β  Why even do it?

Β 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I say it at some point every year, and I will say it again this year.Β  The internet sports doom prophet is the easiest space to occupy online.Β  If the team outperforms your predictions of the sky falling, you get to be "pleasantly surprised."Β  But if things do go down the shitter, you get to say "I told you so!"Β  It's a nutless, soulless position that I have zero respect for.

By tying our allegiance to a particular team, we have all agreed to allow ourselves to be emotionally manipulated by the outcome of a child's game.Β  That's part of the allure of sports.Β  It is beyond me why someone would start that journey from a place of negativity.Β  The beauty of rooting for a sports team is the anticipation that something good is about to happen.Β  A negative outlook from the outset breaks the equation and sucks the joy out of being a fan.Β  Why even do it?

Β 

Check out my posts on the football, Rockets and Texans threads for each team’s past season. I have been optimistic about each and am happy about the progress they all made. Like everyone here, I hated how the Astros finished last season. I’m pissed at how we’re blowing opportunities to win another WS with Dusty’s moronic decisions last year and with the idiots in charge this season. Once this window closes for good, it’ll be another decade at best until we are good enough again to contend for a title (if we’re lucky to have a guy who knows what he is going unlike Dana).

Edited by Macklemore

19 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Once this window closes for good, it’ll be another decade at best until we are good enough again to contend for a title (if we’re lucky to have a guy who knows what he is going unlike Dana).

I wonder if Dana might be better for a rebuilding team. Β I think I’m stealing this from @Wulaw HornΒ but maybe he’s not a war-time consigliere.

• Hook 'Em 2