The Dallas Stars 2024 Playoffs Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, markstanco said:

He is probably putting the finishing touches on that article this afternoon. 

Yeah I'm sure. It's probably been keeping him up at night.

Denver Post columnist crying about the Benn hit:

DALLAS — Jamie Benn needs to “feel” you, as Nuggets coach Michael Malone likes to say. Right between the ears.
If the NHL won’t send a message to Benn, the Dallas Stars’ goon in green, then the Avalanche must. Starting with Game 3 Saturday night at Ball Arena.
Legal hit? More like calculated assault. At worst, the Dallas captain should’ve seen five minutes in the sin bin for his cheap shot of Avs defender Devon Toews some 2:43 into the second period of Game 2.
Benn launched. He left his feet. Toews’ head snapped like a crash test dummy. Officials declared it a shoulder-on-shoulder crime and suggested we all move on. To paraphrase my best pal Deion Sanders, that’s some bull junk, right there.
For one, even if the Stars winger was aiming for Toews’ shoulder, at least one angle showed him connecting directly with No. 7’s neck. Which, last I checked, is connected to and immediately south of the head.
“I mean, does he catch a piece of his shoulder? Yeah, I guess you could argue that,” Avs coach Jared Bednar, whose team returns to Denver after a road split at American Airlines Center, replied when I asked about the collision. “But the target is high and it’s at his head, and he makes contact with the head. And I’ve seen, many times, guys get called for the head shot and penalty with a lot less than that. But I guess they didn’t think so.”
Two, Benn knew exactly what he was doing. The Stars knew what he was doing. Dallas coach Pete DeBoer, whose Vegas teams delighted in pushing the Avs around in the postseason, knew darn well.
“Benner has been outstanding in this playoff. I thought against Vegas he did and he did (it) smart,” the Stars boss said late Thursday night. “He did it at the right times and he did it clean. But his presence physically is having an impact for us in these playoffs in a real positive way.’’

Kareem Jackson, my man, you chose the wrong sport. DeBoer woulda loved you.
In the NFL, Benn’s shot is an ejection, a fine, a suspension and a chat with the safety cops.
In the NHL, it’s a “real positive” presence, a strategic wrinkle in a no-holds-barred, merciless bracket.

The refs decided the hit was at Toews’ shoulder blade and not a head shot. Some slo-mo angles showed otherwise, especially as the D-man pinged off another Dallas player like a rag dol. By the letter of the law, it looked (makes air quotes) “clean.”
But barely legal is still barely.
“It is what it is,” Bednar said. “You’ve got to play through it.”
You’ve got to respond. After that hit, Gabe Landeskog would’ve found a convenient, strategic moment in the action to kindly re-arrange Benn’s face.
Once a bully knows they can get away with murder in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, there’s only way to stop a killing spree.
Someone’s gotta pick up the Captain’s spine. Someone’s gotta let Benn know that this won’t stand. And neither will he.
Someone’s gotta pick up Landy’s steel. Landy’s soul.
It’s not in Nathan MacKinnon’s game, bless him. It’s not in Cale Makar’s DNA, although a reactive shove after Toews got clocked landed him in an awkward headlock for a few seconds.
“Hopefully there was no intent into the head,” Avs forward Andrew Cogliano said of the Benn ambush.
Then, instead of walking it back, Cogs walked it forward.
“Maybe there was, obviously, a little bit to the head,” he added. “But, yeah, I don’t know.”
He knew. Everybody did.
“It’s a physical game this time of year,” Bednar said, “but I just can’t understand how that was not a penalty. Even if it isn’t a five (minute major).”
Join the club. Fortunately, Toews returned to the ice, but Benn needs a break. And a lesson. If the league won’t do it, somebody in burgundy and blue needs to apply a little elbow grease.
Better yet, the whole elbow.

What a bitch-made column. Anson Carter or Bissonette said maybe — maybe — you could call charging but the contact to head was on the rebound off Wyatt. They also the proof it wasn’t a head shot was that Toews came back and played. If it had been a head hit, not a chance he gets cleared to play.

this is what all the CTE bullshit has wrought.  it's fucking hockey dude.  no one threw an MMA spinning back fist or even an elbow or forearm.  and there was no contact to the head.  the snap of the head is a natural reaction when you get jacked.  sure come at Benn.  I'm sure he'll be ready.

christ if the spinning back fist that draws blood isn't a major then what Benn did is a normal play.

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Denver Post columnist crying about the Benn hit:

It was a dirty hit and I don't know how they waived off the penalty.  I saw a clear hit to the head.  I'm just glad Toews came back and seems to be OK.

Maybe Manson needs to kick Benn's ass again.  He hit him into the Stars bench last night.

It was a dirty hit and I don't know how they waived off the penalty.  I saw a clear hit to the head.  I'm just glad Toews came back and seems to be OK.

Maybe Manson needs to kick Benn's ass again.  He hit him into the Stars bench last night.

giphy.gif
  • Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

bullshit. cry more. it was a clean hit and I'd love to see colorado come after benn. that shit would be hilarious. while they're focused on him we'll go score 3. fuck the avs. bitch made team and fans,

I'll never forget I was in durango with the ex. Car broke down on the way to Lake Powell so we stopped there for night. Stars just happened to be playing the avs and I was sitting at a bar watching when some hillbilly saddled up next to me and challenged me to a drinking contest - loser pays the tab. he sat there and ripped the stars while we pounded back drinks. He was convinced he could drink me, a sissy Texan, under the table. I outlasted him (and so did the Stars) and he finally got pissed and paid the tab and walked out - not without calling me and my team pussies. I was hammered as fuck, but I won. Lol. Bitch.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

bullshit. cry more. it was a clean hit and I'd love to see colorado come after benn. that shit would be hilarious. while they're focused on him we'll go score 3. fuck the avs. bitch made team and fans,

lulz.  Avs won't be focused on Benn.  Just Manson.  He can handle that by himself. And lol at bitch made team.  How is your one Cup 25 years ago treating you?

Avs got what they wanted out of the first 2.  Split and bring the series home.  And they should probably stop giving the Stars 4 free power plays going forward.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Don't worry guys - I know how to scare away this Denver fan.

Hide contents

16301622.png.332432de9c9729a98886c2415798f3ea.png

I've made my peace with that series.  Gotta be healthy to win a chip and the Nuggets are not healthy right now.

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Avs fans were claiming that this was a clean hit about this time last year:

Makar got suspended for that hit.  Are you saying Benn should also be suspended?  Dude went shoulder first into Toews' head and left his feet.

Great time at the AAC last night.  Way too close for comfort and we have to figure the 3rd period out but good W.  Fuck the Avs and their bitch ass fans crying about that hit.   And maybe keep your head up if you are along the boards dumbass.  

On a flight to Vegas for the weekend.   Let's grab game 3 and the series momentum Saturday.

24 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Makar got suspended for that hit.  Are you saying Benn should also be suspended?  Dude went shoulder first into Toews' head and left his feet.

he didn't hit is head.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

you saw a clear hit to the head just like the dumbass announcer who had to backtrack after getting all excited, not paying attention to the video, and admit he couldn't tell if Benn hit his head.  his arm stays down.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

No he didn't. Stop making shit up.

He went shoulder to shoulder on him, elbow down, and hit him hard enough that his head whipped around, making it look in real-time like he had hit his head. Even the annoncers were talking about it.

It was a helluva big hit, but it was clean and legal. 

1 minute ago, wood said:

No he didn't. Stop making shit up.

He went shoulder to shoulder on him, elbow down, and hit him hard enough that his head whipped around, making it look in real-time like he had hit his head. Even the annoncers were talking about it.

It was a helluva big hit, but it was clean and legal. 

Dude, I saw it.  And so did all of you, but it was your guy so you'll back him.

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, that's why Toews went in to get tested for concussion protocol.  Because he totally didn't hit his head.

You do understand that you don't need to be hit in the head to suffer a concussion, right? Right? And you also understand that being tested for it doesn't mean you have a concussion, right?

Just now, wood said:

You do understand that you don't need to be hit in the head to suffer a concussion, right? Right? And you also understand that being tested for it doesn't mean you have a concussion, right?

Yeah, I'm thankful he doesn't have a concussion.  But let's quit with the 'didn't hit him in the head' bullshit, mmmkay?

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

Dude, I saw it.  And so did all of you, but it was your guy so you'll back him.

Nah I can separate my feelings from it, unlike you, apparently. If there's a bad call that helps my team, I can admit it. 

Just now, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, I'm thankful he doesn't have a concussion.  But let's quit with the 'didn't hit him in the head' bullshit, mmmkay?

I would do that ... had he actually hit him in the head. 

watch it at .25 speed. principal contact the shoulder, head whipped, hit in head by Johnston on the follow through. It was reviewed and determined to be a clean hit and it was. And no, Chewbacca ain't no Kid. He's more like Baron Munchausen, imagining a fight that isn't there. again, cry more. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, that's why Toews went in to get tested for concussion protocol.  Because he totally didn't hit his head.

that was all for show to try to get the major.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yet you won't, so color me skeptical on that.

Like I said, I'm the guy who can separate my love for my team from what I see on the screen. You must be the other guy.

OK. Cool. You do you. 

When I first saw it in real time, I thought he might have hit him in the head and would have been fine with a penalty if that's what the replays actually showed him doing. Then I saw the replays that confirmed that he indeed did not hit Toews in the head. His head whipped around because of how hard Benn hit him, not because he had hit  him in the head. 

Now, what do you think about Hintz & Marchment on the receiving end of phantom Embellishment calls that kept the Stars from going on the powerplay? 

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

First one was hintz, and Colorado had already come back to tie I think. The pp would have been to go back ahead.  I didn’t think that one was a good call. 

the one on marchment last night, yeah he threw his feet forward so I could see that it was embellishment, but I see what appears to be embellishment lots of games and it almost never gets called. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

First one was hintz, and Colorado had already come back to tie I think. The pp would have been to go back ahead.  I didn’t think that one was a good call. 

the one on marchment last night, yeah he threw his feet forward so I could see that it was embellishment, but I see what appears to be embellishment lots of games and it almost never gets called. 

Thanks. Yeah I was wondering if both were actually on Marchment. Can't 'member shit. And yeah the one on Hintz was was huge because the Stars should have been on the PP. The Marchment one I can actually see as being embellishment, but like you said, we see worse all the time that don't get called. That's why I wonder what he did that made it so bad that this time they called it.  Odd that it's been called twice in the last two games to keep us off the PP.

But anyway, it don't make a shit. 

Edited by wood

watch it at .25 speed. principal contact the shoulder, head whipped, hit in head by Johnston on the follow through. It was reviewed and determined to be a clean hit and it was. And no, Chewbacca ain't no Kid. He's more like Baron Munchausen, imagining a fight that isn't there. again, cry more. 

It’s clear as day to me at 2:50 of the clip. It was shoulder to shoulder and his neck whipped due to the force of contact. They called a major and then reviewed and say no penalty. Remember you can only confirm/reverse major call there. You can’t knock it down to a 2-min minor.

I do know one thing — whoever wins this series is gonna wipe the floor with Edmonton/Vancouver winner in the WCF.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Hawndoh said:

Why the game gotta start so late? Sucks.

Because for some damn reason they have to show the games on the same channel instead of having one on tnt and the other on espn. They alternate nights, but apparently not possible to alternate in the same night

Man, I don’t ever want to see the day (or night) when 9:00 on a Saturday is too late for a sporting event I give a shit about. 
I'm an hour earlier than you are, and I'll watch the whole game, but no reason for such a late start on the weekend.

46 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Man, I don’t ever want to see the day (or night) when 9:00 on a Saturday is too late for a sporting event I give a shit about. 

I gotta get up for work at 2:30. It’s less than ideal for me. 

• Like 1