The 2024 Quest for Lord Stanley's Cup - general NHL playoffs discussion thread

Pretty excited about next year for the Bruins, personally.  They well overacheived this year after losing Bergeron, Krejci, Bertuzzi, Clifton, Foligno, Hathaway, Orlov.  Have one of the best goalies in the league, a bunch of young talent and a ton of cap room.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Pretty excited about next year for the Bruins, personally.  They well overacheived this year after losing Bergeron, Krejci, Bertuzzi, Clifton, Foligno, Hathaway, Orlov.  Have one of the best goalies in the league, a bunch of young talent and a ton of cap room.  

Exactly this. Disappointing but not mad considering I thought we would suck this year. Trade Ullmark, fill in the middle of the ice, and continue to develop the young players. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I'm so glad @blacklab banned me from the Stars thread. There is so much talk here during the game. Lots of Avs- Stars conversation in here. It's totally not all in the Stars thread.

Wanna chat about the game?  

• Haha 1

I thought it was interesting that the NHL announced that starting next season they will no longer say ‘too many men on the ice’ and instead say ‘too many players on the ice’.

Also, ‘odd man rush’ is changing to ‘odd player rush’.

39 minutes ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

I thought it was interesting that the NHL announced that starting next season they will no longer say ‘too many men on the ice’ and instead say ‘too many players on the ice’.

Also, ‘odd man rush’ is changing to ‘odd player rush’.

oh no, how will we ever cope?

anyway, I think the Oil tie this shit up tonight. McJesus always rebounds after a bad game. Wouldn't at all be surprised to see VAN finish, but gun to my head going with EDM.

Here’s some talk about the series-
why don’t you give your balls a tug you tit fucker.
Lol. You pussies hid out in your thread and complained to blacklab. You don't get to talk shit now.
Wanna chat about the game?  
See my response to @Pato del Muerto

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Lol. You pussies hid out in your thread and complained to blacklab. You don't get to talk shit now. See my response to @Pato del Muerto

We didn't hide, you twat. We talked about our team in our thread, and you came in and took big avs logo shit in the middle of the room. And I highly doubt anyone told on you - you're not that important. 

So, since you want to talk. How'd that depth work out for the avs? Are they still more than a 1 line team? Loved that MacKinnon, Rantanen, AND Makar were all on the ice for the gwg against. Mush's stick kick on crying mac was the icing on the cake. 

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Lol. You pussies hid out in your thread and complained to blacklab. You don't get to talk shit now. See my response to @Pato del Muerto

What are the big roster moves you guys are going to try to make to attempt to stay competitive with the Stars considering Nichuskin's untradeable contract with a $6.125 cap hit through 2030?

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

What are the big roster moves you guys are going to try to make to attempt to stay competitive with the Stars considering Nichuskin's untradeable contract with a $6.125 cap hit through 2030?

Also, which of mackinnon and makar had the low round at castle pines today?

• Haha 1

We didn't hide, you twat. We talked about our team in our thread, and you came in and took big avs logo shit in the middle of the room. And I highly doubt anyone told on you - you're not that important. 
So, since you want to talk. How'd that depth work out for the avs? Are they still more than a 1 line team? Loved that MacKinnon, Rantanen, AND Makar were all on the ice for the gwg against. Mush's stick kick on crying mac was the icing on the cake. 
And you cried to blacklab when I was being mean to you. Fuck off, pussy.

32 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
8 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

No, I did not. Maybe someone else did, but I did not. Anyway, go Stars!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
9 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

How was the rest of the weekend?  Good Sunday night?

• Drool 1

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
20 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I doubt it was him. 

• Like 1

fwiw, I do feel bad for Parise. but there are tons of stellar players who go their whole career without a cup. it's just that hard and just that fleeting. Only guy on the avs I would have rooted for getting a cup. oh well.

who y'all got tonight? seems like a coin toss for me. I have a feeling we're gonna see like a 5-4 game, but maybe 6-4 with an empty netter. I really don't know who I could say will come out on top, but as a Stars fan, I think our better matchup is the oil. I also don't think it matters - Stars matchup well against either. Should be fun!

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

I doubt it was him. 

It wasn't. I'd be happy to ss my pm's if that would shut him up.

29 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

fwiw, I do feel bad for Parise. but there are tons of stellar players who go their whole career without a cup. it's just that hard and just that fleeting. Only guy on the avs I would have rooted for getting a cup. oh well.

who y'all got tonight? seems like a coin toss for me. I have a feeling we're gonna see like a 5-4 game, but maybe 6-4 with an empty netter. I really don't know who I could say will come out on top, but as a Stars fan, I think our better matchup is the oil. I also don't think it matters - Stars matchup well against either. Should be fun!

It wasn't. I'd be happy to ss my pm's if that would shut him up.

I feel like Edmonton finds a way to win it but who knows.  I agree I don't know who I prefer from a Stars perspective.  In a way it's the exact opposite of the situation the Mavs were in last night.  I wasn't sure who presented a better matchup, arguments each way, but the Mavs were going to be pretty decent sized underdogs to either team.  Here it is the opposite.   Edmonton and Vancouver are pretty different styles and I don't think 1 is clearly better than the other (as we've seen this series).  But Stars should be relatively heavy favorites over either.  I'm rooting for OT (both because game 7 OT is the best and because clearly just want the winner worn down).

On 5/18/2024 at 10:13 PM, Chewbacca said:

I didn’t complain to anyone. You were a trolling cunt in that thread. You and the city of Denver can eat a bag of cocks. Cry more. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I feel like Edmonton finds a way to win it but who knows.  I agree I don't know who I prefer from a Stars perspective.  In a way it's the exact opposite of the situation the Mavs were in last night.  I wasn't sure who presented a better matchup, arguments each way, but the Mavs were going to be pretty decent sized underdogs to either team.  Here it is the opposite.   Edmonton and Vancouver are pretty different styles and I don't think 1 is clearly better than the other (as we've seen this series).  But Stars should be relatively heavy favorites over either.  I'm rooting for OT (both because game 7 OT is the best and because clearly just want the winner worn down).

Edm is like a worse col and van is like a worse vgs.  While both can beat us, we’ve already beaten better versions of them. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Edm is like a worse col and can is like a worse vgs.  While both can beat us, we’ve already beaten better versions of them. 

End is slightly better than Col and Van slightly better than a fully healthy Vegas team. This series will be hard. But with our legs back I expect to win in 5 or 6. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

End is slightly better than Col and Van slightly better than a fully healthy Vegas team. This series will be hard. But with our legs back I expect to win in 5 or 6. 

Yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. VGK was poised to go all the way again. They had the horses - I have no doubt if they had beaten the Stars they'd be waiting for this matchup instead of us. Everyone agrees they were not an 8 seed, at least as far as skill goes. Also, VGK had the second best goalie tandem with Hill and Thompson behind only Boston's duo. NYR are probably 3rd in that ranking, but that's a matter for a later round. I don't think EDM or VAN feel great about their goaltender situation right now. Goaltending is likely what did COL in more than anything, with being too top heavy being the second reason. VAN can roll 4 lines, but give up a lot. EDM rely on a handful of people and have iffy goaltending. Gonna be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

I agree with Pato. I think both a healthy Vegas and Colorado were the better versions although pretty similar.  Doesn't mean it will be an easy series and we could certainly lose.

Posted (edited)

I mean we’re splitting hairs here but I think Col has taken a major step back for 2 years now. I don’t think they’re a top 4 team in the West. We should’ve won in 5. It was a markedly easier series than Vegas, who was too banged up all year to be able to seed well. Vancouver had a better season in every respect than Vegas, and the same can be said about the Col-Edm comparison. 

Edited by Rex Kramer

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How was Edmonton outside of their 17 game win streak?  Bad before, and just ok after I think. 

True. I may be too reliant upon overall numbers. But if we’re comparing top line talent, I take Edm over Col all day particularly without Val. And I take Edm’s goaltend situation over Col all day. 

Fact is, both of these teams is streaky and neither is that great. Have a plan for their Ohtani/Trout and the rest of the team is meh. 

5 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I mean we’re splitting hairs here but I think Col has taken a major step back for 2 years now. I don’t think they’re a top 4 team in the West. We should’ve won in 5. It was a markedly easier series than Vegas, who was too banged up all year to be able to seed well. Vancouver had a better season in every respect than Vegas, and the same can be said about the Col-Edm comparison. 

Agreed we are splitting hairs but I'm guessing if Vancouver wins the Stars will be slightly bigger betting favorites than they were against Vegas and same for Edmonton compared to Colorado if Edmonton wins.    Vancouver is a pretty significant home dog even tonight.  Vancouver gets no love from power rankers or oddsmakers while they continue to love Edmonton.  

16 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Agreed we are splitting hairs but I'm guessing if Vancouver wins the Stars will be slightly bigger betting favorites than they were against Vegas and same for Edmonton compared to Colorado if Edmonton wins.    Vancouver is a pretty significant home dog even tonight.  Vancouver gets no love from power rankers or oddsmakers while they continue to love Edmonton.  

We will be sizable favorites in either matchup. We are the favorites to win the cup at present. 

8 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

But if we’re comparing top line talent, I take Edm over Col all day particularly without Val. And I take Edm’s goaltend situation over Col all day. 

Agreed on first but disagree on 2nd.  Georgiev ended up playing fine overall.  Not elite but he wasn't the reason they lost.  Edmonton doesn't seem to trust Skinner at all.  He had a good game 6 but has had several clunkers.  I guess if you mean Edmonton has a different option to go to I agree with you but certainly not considered a strength 

I still have twitchy nightmares about JS Giguere and Jonathan Quick - two goalies who backstopped otherwise good-but-not-great teams to Stanley Cup victories. That is to say, it's possible to lose the Cup with top tier goalkeeping, but you're not winning it without it.

Vancouver's replacement for the replacement GK rose up and stole a couple of games. Now, it seems he may have overperformed. In a scoring battle with leaky goalies, Edmonton wins.

Besides, the Stars have to play the Oilers in the playoffs for good things to happen. It's always been that way.

• Drool 1

On 5/18/2024 at 10:13 PM, Chewbacca said:

Oh look, the hairy fuck from loser city. hilarious.  how the fuck do you hide in a thread?  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Skipper said:

How was the rest of the weekend?  Good Sunday night?

I'm wondering how many people up here forked out thousands of dollars to watch both the Nuggets and the Avs lose three home games each in a single playoff round.

• Hook 'Em 1