Tennessee

Kentucky

OU

NC State

UCSB

Oklahoma State

Florida State

Arizona

Selection show is tomorrow morning at 11 am CT on ESPN2.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Order they were announced = alphabetical

By site name, not team name. With the team names above being in a seemingly random order, I didn’t want people to think that was seed order.

13 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Dallas Baptist had more Q1 wins this year (9) than Oregon State and Arizona combined (7)

I don’t know how the SOS is calculated or impacts RPI, but it seems pretty biased.  UCF is sitting low 30s in RPI, and they finished 4.5 games behind us.

UCF cancelled a mid-May game with Bethune Cookman.  Maybe it was weather, but I suspect there are multiple cancellations for RPI purposes.  Throw out the lowest 2-3 games so this doesn’t happen.  There are multiple reasons to play local, poor teams so that shouldn’t be discouraged.  And a team shouldn’t be at a disadvantage because they play Houston Christian early and another cancels Bethune late.

Mid week games are a different animal.  Early season is different than end of season.  Oregon State lost 9 of 14 games by 1 run.  All that matters.

• Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I don’t know how the SOS is calculated or impacts RPI, but it seems pretty biased.  UCF is sitting low 30s in RPI, and they finished 4.5 games behind us.

UCF cancelled a mid-May game with Bethune Cookman.  Maybe it was weather, but I suspect there are multiple cancellations for RPI purposes.  Throw out the lowest 2-3 games so this doesn’t happen.  There are multiple reasons to play local, poor teams so that shouldn’t be discouraged.  And a team shouldn’t be at a disadvantage because they play Houston Christian early and another cancels Bethune late.

Mid week games are a different animal.  Early season is different than end of season.  Oregon State lost 9 of 14 games by 1 run.  All that matters.

Biggest flaw with the RPI is how it weights road games to protect the northern teams that spend their first month of the season on the road. That being said there is hardly a college baseball environment daunting enough for a team to have to be in the top 25 for it to be a Q1 home win while only needing to be in the top 60 for it to be a Q1 road win.

We were also an anomaly, you hardly see any teams with 12 Q1 wins and 8 Q4 losses.

Relative to where we are currently in the RPI, if we played Tennessee on the road and won, we would gain about half as many points as we would lose to a Q4 team at home. If you took even just 3 of our Q4 losses off our resume we would be anywhere between 25-30 in the RPI.

It’d be interested to hear the committees discussions.  Is it the best x number of at large teams or the best resumes?  Baseball is so different than any other sport that the discussion could so several different ways.

Then you’d have to discuss the impact of pitching rotations.  Texas is a great example.  It’s not particularly surprising that we fared well in weekend series, and that we were different early than late.  We are limited in consistent pitching depth, but we are competitive for 3 game series.  That’s one reason we’re likely better suited for a super regional than a regional.  We can piece together a best 2 of 3 but are less likely to beat a great #1 pitcher and less likely to come out of the losers bracket.

With RPI, you can’t unsee the rankings if that’s used in any basis.  I’m not totally trusting that committee fully evaluated all events otherwise.

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

It’d be interested to hear the committees discussions.  Is it the best x number of at large teams or the best resumes?  Baseball is so different than any other sport that the discussion could so several different ways.

Then you’d have to discuss the impact of pitching rotations.  Texas is a great example.  It’s not particularly surprising that we fared well in weekend series, and that we were different early than late.  We are limited in consistent pitching depth, but we are competitive for 3 game series.  That’s one reason we’re likely better suited for a super regional than a regional.  We can piece together a best 2 of 3 but are less likely to beat a great #1 pitcher and less likely to come out of the losers bracket.

With RPI, you can’t unsee the rankings if that’s used in any basis.  I’m not totally trusting that committee fully evaluated all events otherwise.

To cross over into another sport, the BCS was without a doubt the best ranking system I've seen in my personal opinion, the issue was always not having a playoff. Something similar should definitely be used in all sports in my opinion. A ranking system that takes the average of several ranking systems in order to try and eliminate outliers.

The committee shit needs to go in all sports especially because there is absolutely no transparency. They always send up someone to speak on ESPN that stutters and makes a farce of the process and sticks to talking points, and even then they almost always end up contradicting themselves.

• Like 1
  • Drool 2

The committee really should send 2 of Vanderbilt, Florida (assuming they make it which I'm beginning to think they will), and Mississippi State out to Corvallis and Tuscon to make them earn those regionals. 

13 minutes ago, chase25 said:

To cross over into another sport, the BCS was without a doubt the best ranking system I've seen in my personal opinion, the issue was always not having a playoff. Something similar should definitely be used in all sports in my opinion. A ranking system that takes the average of several ranking systems in order to try and eliminate outliers.

The committee shit needs to go in all sports especially because there is absolutely no transparency. They always send up someone to speak on ESPN that stutters and makes a farce of the process and sticks to talking points, and even then they almost always end up contradicting themselves.

There was considerable discussion about people not liking the computers but using multiple methodologies did offset some potential bias.  People will give you bias no matter what.

Margin of victory was impactful yet we weren’t smart enough to impose caps that followed something along the line of gameflow.  Leading by 30 entering the 4th is different than winning by 30 and scoring 14 in the last 5 minutes which is different than winning by 3 on a late FG.  They should be weighed differently.

Ultimately, you won’t get universal agreement so in football the answer is limited teams in bigger conferences.  I’m not sure what the answer would be in baseball.

There was considerable discussion about people not liking the computers but using multiple methodologies did offset some potential bias.  People will give you bias no matter what.

Margin of victory was impactful yet we weren’t smart enough to impose caps that followed something along the line of gameflow.  Leading by 30 entering the 4th is different than winning by 30 and scoring 14 in the last 5 minutes which is different than winning by 3 on a late FG.  They should be weighed differently.

Ultimately, you won’t get universal agreement so in football the answer is limited teams in bigger conferences.  I’m not sure what the answer would be in baseball.

Yeah regardless the committees need to go. Every year it seems like somebody questionable gets a regional over somebody else because their AD was on the selection committee. This year it was ECU 

https://d1baseball.com/stories/2024-d1baseball-field-of-64-projections/

Posted (edited)

I mentioned earlier I am shocked ECU is hosting, but I’m honestly even more surprised Arizona is hosting. RPI in the 30’s in the 6th (!) best RPI conference. Every time they played a team with a pulse, they seemed to lose. Series losses to Oregon, Oregon State and San Diego. Also lost a series to Washington (lol) and lost 2 of their 3 in their early season tournament in Frisco.

Arizona was 3-9 (!!!!!!!!) in Q1 games. 3 and 9.

Edited by Hookem2147

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I mentioned earlier I am shocked ECU is hosting, but I’m honestly even more surprised Arizona is hosting. RPI in the 30’s in the 6th (!) best RPI conference. Every time they played a team with a pulse, they seemed to lose. Series losses to Oregon, Oregon State and San Diego. Also lost a series to Washington (lol) and lost 2 of their 3 in their early season tournament in Frisco.

So you're saying we should hope we get sent to Tucson? 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, TornACL said:

So you're saying we should hope we get sent to Tucson? 

Absolutely. But I have a feeling they are going to send one of the host snubs there. Maybe Miss State. Another angle they could want is LSU as the 2 seed. Jay Johnson back to the place he left LSU for.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

Lsu getting hot at the right time... amazing that they are now a solid #2 seed.

Just seems like a no-doubter that ncaa/espn will put Texas in the aggy regional to boost TV ratings. 

The Horns/aggy softball Super's match-up was amazing must see TV. Glad Texas softball fought thru struggles and won!!! 🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Balcones said:

Our resume wasn’t too far off of Arizona. A run in the tournament and we might have been hosting.

Arizona was 11-1 in Q4 games.

We were 13-8.

Arizona was also the regular season and tournament champions in their conference. Also played the #1 non con SOS. I don’t think they deserved to host but our resume wasn’t close and we weren’t climbing 20 RPI spots to get into the low 30’s even with a 4-0 run.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

16 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We were 13-8.

Arizona was also the regular season and tournament champions in their conference. Also played the #1 non con SOS. I don’t think they deserved to host but our resume wasn’t close and we weren’t climbing 20 RPI spots to get into the low 30’s even with a 4-0 run.

So they won their conference, won their conference tourney and played the toughest non-conference schedule in the country.

Sounds like a worthy host to me.  I think throwing the western part of the country a bone and a reward for a difficult schedule is reasonable too. We are where we are in part for all the favorable shit the ACC/SEC have gotten the past 20 years.

I suppose they could have won more conference games, but the objective is to win it.  Nobody that wins a regional or super regional really cares if they go undefeated.  Win and advance.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

So they won their conference, won their conference tourney and played the toughest non-conference schedule in the country.

Sounds like a worthy host to me.  I think throwing the western part of the country a bone and a reward for a difficult schedule is reasonable too. We are where we are in part for all the favorable shit the ACC/SEC have gotten the past 20 years.

I suppose they could have won more conference games, but the objective is to win it.  Nobody that wins a regional or super regional really cares if they go undefeated.  Win and advance.

I don’t think the 6th best RPI conference should be getting multiple hosts, but that is just my opinion. Their overall resume was better than Texas (silly discussion, we were never close to hosting). Arizona had 5 losing weekends on the year and a RPI in the 30’s. You just don’t typically see the committee reward that, but maybe they will weigh conference titles more moving forward.

The biggest issue I continue to have is the committee seems to change their criteria randomly. One year RPI is king, then the next year it’s conference titles. There needs to be some level of consistency. Indiana State went out and played a tough non con schedule too and had the same number of Q1 wins as Arizona with a RPI of #10 and will be playing on the road.

Edited by Hookem2147

26 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Zero chance. 

Zero chance if we ran the table in the tourney and OSU loses their first two?

Actually I think we leap OSU (maybe not RPI but hosting opportunity) if we beat them and advance further than them.  Maybe not enough to host.  But winning 6 of 8 against two teams that ultimately end up hosting is a strong data point.

Obviously it matters not at this point.

Zero chance if we ran the table in the tourney and OSU loses their first two?

Actually I think we leap OSU (maybe not RPI but hosting opportunity) if we beat them and advance further than them.  Maybe not enough to host.  But winning 6 of 8 against two teams that ultimately end up hosting is a strong data point.

Obviously it matters not at this point.

Agree moot point, but RPI wasn’t gonna get above 40 or so and the Q4 losses were ultimately the demise 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We were 13-8.

We are 38-39 going into the Big 12 tournament. 

6 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Zero chance if we ran the table in the tourney and OSU loses their first two?.

That’s my point. If we finished 39-21 or 40-20 we would have been Lowe 30 or high 20 with a big 12 runner up and tournament champs/runner up. SOS probably in low 20s/high teens.

53 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I don’t think the 6th best RPI conference should be getting multiple hosts, but that is just my opinion. Their overall resume was better than Texas (silly discussion, we were never close to hosting). Arizona had 5 losing weekends on the year and a RPI in the 30’s. You just don’t typically see the committee reward that, but maybe they will weigh conference titles more moving forward.

The biggest issue I continue to have is the committee seems to change their criteria randomly. One year RPI is king, then the next year it’s conference titles. There needs to be some level of consistency. Indiana State went out and played a tough non con schedule too and had the same number of Q1 wins as Arizona with a RPI of #10 and will be playing on the road.

This is a flaw of the RPI.  ISUs tough non-conference is buoyed by Big 10 Tuesday games which mean more to ISU because they have to go all in midweek to hold up their RPI.  Arizona run ruled their only Big 10 opponent. ISU split with that same Indiana team.

ISU lost 3 of 4 to Vandy/S Miss.  The losses were by 24.  Contrast that to Zona that lost 6 games by a combined 12 runs to Northeastern, San Diego, TCU, DBU and Bama.

ISU lost twice in their conference tourney.

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

That’s my point. If we finished 39-21 or 40-20 we would have been Lowe 30 or high 20 with a big 12 runner up and tournament champs/runner up. SOS probably in low 20s/high teens.

I’m with you.  It wasn’t a 0% chance.