Schlitterbahn thread

RD3

I can't find one here.

I took Monday off for vacation and took my older 2 boys because they are very strong swimmers (9yo, 7yo).  I took them last summer also on a Monday.  Both times we hit the Old Park only.

We got there at 11am and brought a cooler.  We were there until after park closed.  The boys had a blast!  Me too.  Last year we got there at 10am and left before 6pm.  They were tired.  This year they hit their 2nd wind at 5pm and honestly that 6-8pm window was the best because the shade was definitely kicked in and the lines had disappeared. 

By the way, I asked some of the staff which day was the best to go for the lines and they all said Wednesday.

Some takeaways...

1. Pack more food.  I brought sandwiches, chips, waters, gatorades...  It wasn't enough.  I had enough waters and gatorades but not enough food.  We ended up getting 2 personal pizzas at some pizza place.  I should have packed more food...
  2. They got the $8 refillable slurpee deal and that worked out.  They got 2 or 3 refills (at like $1.50 per refill).
  3. Get the splash cash.  I got the splash cash, loaded it up, and then walked back to my car and left my money clip in there.
  4. Skip the $12 locker and leave your phone and money in your car.  I know that we are all addicted to our smart phones but this is a water park which spells disaster for phones.  And do we need to put our phone around our neck?  Just leave it in your car.  And getting splash cash, then you don't need the locker.  I left my cooler and towels in a corner and there was nothing valuable to steal.
  5. My kids loved the rides that were the oldest.  Berbahn is a simple water slide but they rode that like 10 times in a row trying to race each other.  And the downhill racer which those are probably older than me.

I think I'm getting season tickets next year.  I have a lot of good friends from NB and they tell me that towards the end of the year they sometimes offer deals where you can buy season tickets for 2019 and you get the rest of this year for free.  I definitely want to go to Schlitterbahn again this year and I have vacation to burn to avoid a weekend.  And next year with a season pass, I can go on a weekend and not have to be too concerned about missing anything.

Next time we need to go to the New Park though...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

I always liked the old park over the new park

I went to the New Park years ago.  Like when I was at UT.  But my memories of it was that it had less shade.  We were on Monday July 23 and that was the hottest day of the year to date.  You couldn't really tell with the shade and the cold water.  It truly was the hottest, coolest time in Texas.

I've said it all before on the other thread.

I'm glad you had a great time, but remember it is a park almost completely operated by children. From the very top of the leadership structure on down. What the Henry's and Schlitterbahn need more than anything is a management company to be brought in and do a 360 review of the company and force them to implement the necessary changes.

</debbie_downer>

• Like 1

15 hours ago, relapse98 said:

I've said it all before on the other thread.

I'm glad you had a great time, but remember it is a park almost completely operated by children. From the very top of the leadership structure on down. What the Henry's and Schlitterbahn need more than anything is a management company to be brought in and do a 360 review of the company and force them to implement the necessary changes.

</debbie_downer>

Isn't it kinda late for that?

• 10 months later...

Schlitterbahn Waterparks and Resorts — which has dealt with a gruesome death, indictments and financial troubles — is selling the bulk of its holdings.

Ohio-based Cedar Fair has an agreement with the owners of Schlitterbahn to purchase the company’s New Braunfels park and resort property as well as their Galveston park.

“It’s important to know that Cedar Fair values Schlitterbahn’s character and brand promise,” the Henry family — Schlitterbahn’s owner — said in a statement. “They have committed to not only keeping Schlitterbahn awesome but helping us grow!”

RELATED: Schlitterbahn is celebrating 40 years this summer with freebies and other special deals

The sale agreement comes as a Schlitterbahn entity was required to pay off a $186.4 million note by June 1 to Kansas City Real Estate Investment Trust. The maturity date on the loan had been extended a month.

The Henry family decided to sell the properties last year and has been working to identify a buyer to take over, according to the statement.

The company will continue to operate its South Padre waterpark and resort, which will be rebranded eventually. Corpus Christi is a Diamond Beach property.

Ticket and season pass prices as well as reservations will not change, the company said. Events will continue as scheduled.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Schlitterbahn Waterparks and Resorts — which has dealt with a gruesome death, indictments and financial troubles — is selling the bulk of its holdings.

Ohio-based Cedar Fair has an agreement with the owners of Schlitterbahn to purchase the company’s New Braunfels park and resort property as well as their Galveston park.

“It’s important to know that Cedar Fair values Schlitterbahn’s character and brand promise,” the Henry family — Schlitterbahn’s owner — said in a statement. “They have committed to not only keeping Schlitterbahn awesome but helping us grow!”

RELATED: Schlitterbahn is celebrating 40 years this summer with freebies and other special deals

The sale agreement comes as a Schlitterbahn entity was required to pay off a $186.4 million note by June 1 to Kansas City Real Estate Investment Trust. The maturity date on the loan had been extended a month.

The Henry family decided to sell the properties last year and has been working to identify a buyer to take over, according to the statement.

The company will continue to operate its South Padre waterpark and resort, which will be rebranded eventually. Corpus Christi is a Diamond Beach property.

Ticket and season pass prices as well as reservations will not change, the company said. Events will continue as scheduled.

This explains the absence of the never ending commercials on radio and TV and the lack of promotions at Circle K and other conveince stores.

The Corpus operation went to bankrupcty court and the new group that bought it has done a good job of finishing the project and actually adding some ammenties to it.   Much closer to the vision that was orginally sold to the community vs what the Henry's accomplished.

On 7/29/2018 at 9:01 AM, TXLNGHRN10 said:

I always liked the old park over the new park

I was a lifeguard at the old park.  Best shape I've ever been in my life.  Day after day of pulling fat asses in tubes out of the dead section of the turns, and pushing them down as hard as possible.

Edited by Mach 1

The original was greatness and I loved going as a kid. 

When they opened the expansion next door I used to go around the lazy river and dive down where the intake grates were to look for paper money that would get caught there (back when people used to carry cash). One time I found a $20 and I felt like I was a king. Probably blew it on funnel cakes.

I haven't been in a good 20 years, but took my kids yesterday. $200 for 4 tickets (2 adults, 2 kids), 4 basic meal bands and 2 drink bands. 

Successfully converted my 3 year old from being a timid first time tube rider into a fucking tubing addict.

We'll be back, but only because they gave us discount coupons for the next visit.

23 minutes ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

We're going to stay at the resort here in August
Any recs? Pro tips? 
Staying on the old side. Not sure what to do for breakfast and dinner???? Should we pack in food and cook?

You can pack in.
Local places to eat:

We are at Los Gallos for tacos a couple of times, at least, a week. You'll see a couple of big ol blond hair boys probably working the register and drive through. They are the owners. Tell them Sam says hi. You will want to order only 1 taco unless you are a giant. Their tortillas are unbelievably big. We've been there before when a touron orders 3 tacos for himself, we snicker, the food comes, and their table goes "holey shit" because 3 tacos there will feed an army.

I have a group of auslanders that get together for a stammtisch breakfast at Krause's every couple of weeks. Their breakfast prices are quite reasonable - my usual go to has been the breakfast sandwich on a house bun with bacon and egg over medium. But lately I've started getting the 1 egg omelet (it has at least 2 or 3) with cheddar and house fries or hashbrowns. Lunch and dinner are also good and they have music about 4 times a week. I will forewarn you that the service sometimes sucks and the kitchen can be slow AF. I know this going in, I have multiple waitresses who know our order and I don't seem to have near the problems others do but I do hear a lot of complaints about them.

Skip The Gristmill and eat at their sister joint Mozie's across the street. Great burgers. Pro tip: If going to listen to someone in Gruene Hall, order ahead some garlic fries at Mozie's, pick them up and carry them into the hall.

Other good places to eat are Freiheit (the burgers), McAdoo's (seafood - fondue rocks), Clear Springs (fried catfish and what not, suprisingly the burgers kick ass). Burgers at Lone Star Float House are good and the view doesn't suck.  Same thing with the Float In. Another good breakfast spot is Granny D's up by Canyon Lake. And across the street from Granny D's is Mrs. Bush's Pies. Mrs. Bush may be a little bit on the peculiar side but her pies are legit.
Maybe grab some breakfast at Texas' oldest bakery, Naeglin's.      

</New_Braunfels_Biggest_Supporter>
If you have any other local questions, fire away.

Oh, and if you are staying in the old side... you do know that you can bring alcohol into the park. Just pour it into Yeti cups etc and noones the wiser. Now if you switch over to the old side, they'll inspect your stuff. But since your room is inside the gates of the old side, there is no inspection.

Edited by relapse98
  • Like 2

On 7/30/2018 at 9:09 AM, relapse98 said:

What the Henry's and Schlitterbahn need more than anything is a management company to be brought in and do a 360 review of the company and force them to implement the necessary changes.

Man, I must be a wizard or something.  Of course, what the workers have been told is that they are doing a great job and the new owners aren't going to change anything except invest money to make it better. But I'm pretty sure they will bring in some of their own people to evaluate things.

37 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

You can pack in.
Local places to eat:

We are at Los Gallos for tacos a couple of times, at least, a week. You'll see a couple of big ol blond hair boys probably working the register and drive through. They are the owners. Tell them Sam says hi. You will want to order only 1 taco unless you are a giant. Their tortillas are unbelievably big. We've been there before when a touron orders 3 tacos for himself, we snicker, the food comes, and their table goes "holey shit" because 3 tacos there will feed an army.

I have a group of auslanders that get together for a stammtisch breakfast at Krause's every couple of weeks. Their breakfast prices are quite reasonable - my usual go to has been the breakfast sandwich on a house bun with bacon and egg over medium. But lately I've started getting the 1 egg omelet (it has at least 2 or 3) with cheddar and house fries or hashbrowns. Lunch and dinner are also good and they have music about 4 times a week. I will forewarn you that the service sometimes sucks and the kitchen can be slow AF. I know this going in, I have multiple waitresses who know our order and I don't seem to have near the problems others do but I do hear a lot of complaints about them.

Skip The Gristmill and eat at their sister joint Mozie's across the street. Great burgers. Pro tip: If going to listen to someone in Gruene Hall, order ahead some garlic fries at Mozie's, pick them up and carry them into the hall.

Other good places to eat are Freiheit (the burgers), McAdoo's (seafood - fondue rocks), Clear Springs (fried catfish and what not, suprisingly the burgers kick ass). Burgers at Lone Star Float House are good and the view doesn't suck.  Same thing with the Float In. Another good breakfast spot is Granny D's up by Canyon Lake. And across the street from Granny D's is Mrs. Bush's Pies. Mrs. Bush may be a little bit on the peculiar side but her pies are legit.
Maybe grab some breakfast at Texas' oldest bakery, Naeglin's.      

</New_Braunfels_Biggest_Supporter>
If you have any other local questions, fire away.

Oh, and if you are staying in the old side... you do know that you can bring alcohol into the park. Just pour it into Yeti cups etc and noones the wiser. Now if you switch over to the old side, they'll inspect your stuff. But since your room is inside the gates of the old side, there is no inspection.

No Pat's Place? We always liked eating there after a long float of drinking. That may have made the food better. Also I know people like to shit on The Gristmill, but I think it's fun and you can't beat the view from outside.

Just now, SimonBolivar said:

No Pat's Place? We always liked eating there after a long float of drinking. That may have made the food better. Also I know people like to shit on The Gristmill, but I think it's fun and you can't beat the view from outside.

Pat's is good. For some reason it usually gets skipped in our dining out. And parking there this time of year can suck big time - the lot is fairly small and they have a few street permits you can borrow, but if those are all gone and it's full. SOL.

The view at Gristmill is nice, the food I sometimes take issue with and we have had some legendary f'ups with service there in the past that have tainted our view.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, relapse98 said:

english. If you switch over to the NEW side, they'll inspect your stuff. Stay on the old, you are good.

• 2 years later...

Bump.

Thinking about taking my kids up to the park this wknd as they have never been.   I haven't been since the early 90's.   Any logistical changes?   I like to travel light so I see not to bring  phones, money clips, etc.   Do I have to bring a cooler?  Can I not just buy some food and water?    Do we just find a chair somewhere and leave towels etc?

I will never ever, ever willfully step foot into that place.  I fucking hate waiting in line for anything.

That being said.  IF you ever want to go and enjoy the park... go on Mother's day.  Only a few crazy ass mother's want to go with their kids to Schlitterbahn, so you can actually ride a few of the good rides. 

3 hours ago, midtown said:

Bump.

Thinking about taking my kids up to the park this wknd as they have never been.   I haven't been since the early 90's.   Any logistical changes?   I like to travel light so I see not to bring  phones, money clips, etc.   Do I have to bring a cooler?  Can I not just buy some food and water?    Do we just find a chair somewhere and leave towels etc?

I went early June for a weekend. There are some covid things to consider (or were then). You have to register for a time slot and may not be able to get in until 1 or 2 if they’re already full. This is waved if you book a room with them. The old side isn’t open every day - think that was a staffing issue as they had a ton of people training so maybe it’s resolved now.

Our last day was a Monday and only the new park was open. They also shut down the long rapids tube ride which sucked. But the park wasn’t very busy so there wasn’t a huge impact on lines while we were there.

We waited at most 30 minutes for a ride but also made sure to knock out slides before crowds showed up. They open the gates about 30-45 minutes before park open and let the rides start 10-15 before official open. That meant we got 1-2 rides each slide before the masses made the waits not worth it.

Drop your stuff at a table and go. I had a waterproof cell phone holder so I didn’t have to leave anything valuable behind.

Kids loved it and were exhausted so overall a decent weekend. Muck and Fuss has some really good burgers.

• 1 year later...

Bumping for this year...

I haven't been since I was a kid, but am thinking of taking the fam Sunday of Labor Day weekend since we'll be in town for the opener. I'll sure that'll be one of the worst days to go, but aside from it being a crowded cluster, advice/tips on any way to get discounted tickets or things I should know ahead of time?

Not really. We took my kids, both six, on a Wednesday in June.  Got there when it opened and knocked out the Masterblaster and WolfPack early. It's not my favorite place because of the lines but it's whatever.  Kids loved it. 

Find some comfortable water shoes.  I came back with blisters.

I'd say get there early and then just try to survive.

• Hook 'Em 1

I took my two boys (8 and 6) in early July for two days. We spent the first day at the new park and the second at the old. We rode all the big rides first each day and then tooled around on the no line type attractions for the rest of the day. They had the time of their lives and haven’t stopped talking about it. It’s kind of expensive and the lines suck. However, it was the first time my kids have actually thanked me for anything and meant it.

• Hook 'Em 2