Dutch Oven Recipes

Hank_Hill

3 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Have had both a Lodge enamel and bare cast iron for like 3 months and have barely used either outside of chili. What y'all got? Thinking carnitas soon.

I assume both are home use rather than camping.

If you cook it in a pot or bake it in the over, you can use the Dutch oven.  So.... generic type ideas...

Stovetop

• gumbo
  • soups
  • beans
  • posole rojo
  • pot roast
  • stews

Oven

• cobblers
  • fritatas
  • meat loaf
  • cornbread
  • bake bread

so seriously, if you have a recipe, try in the dutch oven

Girlfriend bought a new Lodge dutch oven that we used this weekend when we were camping.  Made beer bread, garlic parmesan potatoes, and a blackberry/peach cobbler.  I was a little nervous about using it for the first time on the trip but everything turned out really good.  Plus, it was kind of cool using campfire coals as the heat source.

for the cast iron - if you have a gas range - best way to cook red meat. ribeyes, lamb steaks, pork chops, etc. 

for the enamel, stews a nice. braising always nice. look up some nice meat and veggies braises for the enamel. save the stock for bonus wins. 

Made this schweinebraten in my enamel dutch oven yesterday:

ec839ffcaa038f845d14c5172d93d660.jpg

Used this recipe as a go-by (didn't use leeks, changed proportions a bit on some other stuff, but generally followed the technique).  It was out-fucking-standing.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/authentic-schweinebraten-german-pork-roast-bavarian-style-446331

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Damn man, were you able to get that crisped up in the dutch oven or did you throw the shredded pork under the broiler for a couple of minutes?

If you simmer the pork chunks in the dutch oven, eventually the liquid cooks off, leaving behind the fat.  Crisp the chunks in the dutch oven in that fat.  It requires attention to the pot as the last liquid dissolves....but man, it's good stuff.

22 hours ago, dcbc said:

It's a long process, but Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon recipe makes heavy use of a dutch oven and is absolutely delicious.  Peeling those pearl onions sucks.

Dutch oven is perfect for any meats like short ribs or shanks that need to be browned or seared before slowly braising.  Not gonna post recipes, but usually after the meat searing, you take the meat aside and saute the aromatics in the pan juices until soft, add back the meat and other veggies and wine/stock and finish in a slow oven for many hours until the meat is tender.  Then pull the meat and reduce the stock until it reaches the desired viscosity.  Don't salt or season before that point or you will be screwed with a sauce that is way too salty.  Not to hijack, but an Insta-pot or an electric pressure cooker does this kinda stuff really well, too.   

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 2:00 PM, Surly Bevo said:

Taco Bell bean burrito for breakfast with a beer

Taco bell bean burrito for lunch with 4 beers

Taco bell bean burrito for dinner with 6-10 beers

Sheets and a heavy comforter

You stole my joke!

I was going to add "super pissed off wife".

I only use our dutch oven when we camp and it's been a while but from what I remember:

Stew meat

Can of golden mushroom soup

Beef broth or water, whatever you have

Can of tomato paste

Whatever veggies you like: celery, jalapeno, carrots, onion, garlic, potato 

Whatever seasonings you feel like, you can't screw this up.

Cook it for many several hours and it'll be good as fuck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Dutch oven is perfect for any meats like short ribs or shanks that need to be browned or seared before slowly braising.  Not gonna post recipes, but usually after the meat searing, you take the meat aside and saute the aromatics in the pan juices until soft, add back the meat and other veggies and wine/stock and finish in a slow oven for many hours until the meat is tender.  Then pull the meat and reduce the stock until it reaches the desired viscosity.  Don't salt or season before that point or you will be screwed with a sauce that is way too salty.  Not to hijack, but an Insta-pot or an electric pressure cooker does this kinda stuff really well, too.   

I've done that recipe in the instant pot.  Not quite as good, but took about 2.5 hours instead of 6.

Cherry chocolate dumP cake (not dumb)  

1 box Devil's food cake mix (I usually add a teaspoon of shredded coconut and tell diners that "It looks like weevils got into the cake mix.")

1 can of red  cherries in syrup 

20 oz bottle of cherry coke

Pour cherries into Dutch oven, sprinkle cake mix over the cherries (with or without weevils), and pour on the cherry coke.

I've only done this on raft trips with a 12" Dutch, but this is the charcoal distribution: 5 or 6 underneath the oven, 20 on the outside rim of the lid, and 3 or 4 on the middle the rim