2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

21 minutes ago, Jacob McCandles said:

^^^^ this right here.

There are really only seven plays in football:  inside run; off-tackle run; sweep; misdirection (counter, boot, reverse); play action pass; roll out pass; drop back pass. Everything else (formation, personnel groupings, blocking scheme, option plays, RPO, route combos) are window dressing. If your talent on O is greater than the talent on the opposing D, the less window dressing you need. Bama beats most teams because they overpower them with talent. Same with Clemson. Same with OhState. Same with the 2006 NC team for us.

Texas should always have enough talent to beat nine/ten of the teams on its schedule without "window dressing." It has not been in that position lately.   

Yes and No. But in support of this, I DO think we over-complicate things sometimes when talking about offensive play-calling/scheming in the NFL and the Power 5 D1 level. You want good, great coordinators and minds, but if you don't have the right QB, or the right pigs and horses around the "ehh ok" QB etc... (and etc... and etc...), even the good coordinators are going to be made to look like a fool sometimes. 

I think people underestimated how big of a total rebuild this was that Herman walked into, and how, outside of WR, poor of shape this offensive roster was left in. 

Edited by UncleBuck

Play calling can sometimes be bad. But it really isn’t the reason we’ve been so shitty. Our players have just not been good. And most fans just don’t want to believe that. But with last year specifically, if you look at a team without a dominant O line, or even mediocre O line you can’t even begin to operate against decent teams. Add to that a weak and extremely young RB group, with an extremely young and often injured QB group, with a young and inexperienced WR group.... I don’t really know what we expected. Instant gratification? I guess, I feel like I’m starving and need wins to feed me too. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yes and No. But in support of this, I DO think we over-complicate things sometimes when talking about offensive play-calling/scheming in the NFL and the Power 5 D1 level. You want good, great coordinators and minds, but if you don't have the right QB, or the right pigs and horses around the "ehh ok" QB etc... (and etc... and etc...), even the good coordinators are going to be made to look like a fool sometimes. 

I think people underestimated how big of a total rebuild this was that Herman walked into, and how, outside of WR, poor of shape this offensive roster was left in. 

I agree was rebuild BUT Herman also lost two games because he and staff completely overlooked opponent: Maryland - no film study, lots of terrible formations, play calls etc & TT - that goofy ass play on the 1 yd line where Sam faked around and stuff instead of just smash mouthing the ball (shit hand it to Poona if you want to get cute like that)

Herman needs to take every opponent seriously and realize he cannot sleep on anyone. I don't think he was prepared for how hated UT is by teams that play them and how teams get up for them. No one hates UH, it's just another game.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

if you don't have the right QB, or the right pigs and horses around the "ehh ok" QB etc... (and etc... and etc...), even the good coordinators are going to be made to look like a fool sometimes. 

Emory Bellard, Bill Yoeman, Hal Mumme, The Pirate are all just a few of the great offensive minds who came up with dynamic window dressing to change offensive football. I suspect that none of them could have produced with our talent the past few years ... primarily the (lacking)O-Line talent.

Edited by Jacob McCandles
typos
  • Like 1

I'm fine with last season and I was seriously pissed after the Maryland game. 7 wins was the minimum he needed to get and it was more about the coaching staff getting establish and the team getting adjusted to the new way of doing things. Given the relatively good amount of continuity for the program despite losing a few guys to the NFL, I'd say 9 is the floor for a successful season this year. 

• Like 1

Bunch of sandy vaginas in this thread. 

Last year we had a catastrophic collection of injuries to our offensive line.  I've never seen an offensive line take the collection of injuries our offensive line took over that year at either the college or pro level ever.  Not that it can't happen again or that everything is just "fixed" now.  Despite this collection of injuries Herman had us at 7-6 with several of those losses being very close games we could have or should have won. 

I think Herman is a hell of a coach. I compare Charlie's first year and Herman's first year and I see no BYU embarrassment.  No Baylor, Kansas State, or TCU games and  where we didn't look like we belonged on the field.   Plus a better bowl performance by miles. Now in fairness Charlie left the cupboard more filled than Mack.  I don't want to turn this shit into a Charlie v. Herman debate, but I think we are going to be just fine this year.  I have faith in Herman and Orlando.

17 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I agree was rebuild BUT Herman also lost two games because he and staff completely overlooked opponent: Maryland - no film study, lots of terrible formations, play calls etc & TT - that goofy ass play on the 1 yd line where Sam faked around and stuff instead of just smash mouthing the ball (shit hand it to Poona if you want to get cute like that)

Herman needs to take every opponent seriously and realize he cannot sleep on anyone. I don't think he was prepared for how hated UT is by teams that play them and how teams get up for them. No one hates UH, it's just another game.

Mistakes were made. There is no denying that. A lot of them. A lot inexcusable. 

13 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

^^^^ cute window dressing because the coaches knew they couldn't overpower f'ing Maryland!!! Same thing with Tech in the last game. Same thing with OkState in OT. They didn't "try to get cute," they "had to get cute" because that was the only option. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jacob McCandles said:

^^^^ cute window dressing because the coaches knew they couldn't overpower f'ing Maryland!!! Same thing with Tech in the last game. Same thing with OkState in OT. They didn't "try to get cute," they "had to get cute" because that was the only option. 

Tech. My god. I thought I would have loved watching a Longhorns game where Connor Williams was your lowest graded offensive lineman by the stat geeks. That was straight trash. 

28 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I think people underestimated how big of a total rebuild of this program that Herman walked into, and how, outside of WR, poor this offensive roster was. 

To further support my argument that the Jimmys and the Joes are more important that the X's and the O's, do we really think Urban keeps a known abuser on staff if the abuser wasn't a top 5 recruiter? The primary focus of a college football program is talent accumulation. Just ask the middle of the road OC from Oklahoma who won a crystal football because he could convince talented high school football players to put ketchup on a Popsicle ... 

ok...last year wasnt good...lets recap

* incredible amount of injuries on the O-line...check

* dumbassed play calling by the OC...check

*4 games lost by freshman mistakes at crucial times...check

* having only i freshman and one sophmore QB on scholorship...check

Yep...almost every box checked. How in hell did we win 7 games?

12 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

ok...last year wasnt good...lets recap

* incredible amount of injuries on the O-line...check

* dumbassed play calling by the OC...check

*4 games lost by freshman mistakes at crucial times...check

* having only i freshman and one sophmore QB on scholorship...check

Yep...almost every box checked. How in hell did we win 7 games?

All of your bullet points referred to one phase of the game. We had a damn-near transcendent talent on special teams and a pretty good defense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

This wasn't just a case of "not having the talent", they literally didn't even have a whole POSITION that they needed/want on the field in TE. They just hoped Gray could block ok and didn't rely on Brewer too much, he didn't seem too ready.

You’re making my point. If you don’t have a serviceable TE then quit running plays using a....TE. It’s not an accident that one of the games where we showed a pulse was against KSU where we ran a lot of 2x2 and used plays that didn’t ask TN to block OZ. 

Buh...buh... that’s not our offense. Your job is to win fucking games and not run your offense. When the latter impedes the former you adjust the latter unless you are one of a number of tard offensive minds or smug coaches who’s gonna fail his way. 

Win with what you have. Don’t struggle trying to do what you prefer to do because you don’t have  what you need to do it your way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Well, sure... But Beck and Watson have demonstrable tendencies towards underperformance. So, you know, sometimes that pathetic thing that looks like a mongoloid duck with no feathers and a gimpy leg really is just exactly what it looks like.

It’s hard to watch a Brian Harsin work, and to a lesser extent Giblet, and then watch a Watson, Beck or Davis work and not notice that one group does pretty well provided transcendent talents, and the other group just manages to always be pretty good to excellent. 

The other data points ro consider is who snapped up Watson and Davis when the left UT ( no one), and who has been relieved of playcalling duties quickly atbhis last two stops. And lastly, when Herman mentions best in the business he doesn’t mention anyone on offense. It goes from GOAT and want them in my foxhole to collaborative effort. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

1 hour ago, BERT said:

I said it somewhere on the other site that in year one winning was not Herman's number one priority. Pretty sure nobody agreed with me. I hope year two winning is priority number one. 

For better or worse, this is where I am putting my faith this season. 

Edited by rickyspub

All of your bullet points referred to one phase of the game. We had a damn-near transcendent talent on special teams and a pretty good defense.
Only part of the special teams were truly special, the abysmal FG kicking pretty much negated everything Dicko did for our defense.

20 minutes ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Only part of the special teams were truly special, the abysmal FG kicking pretty much negated everything Dicko did for our defense.

The FG kicking was pretty special, just not the good kind.

56 minutes ago, selvahorn said:

24 days guys... be strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it just me or is the desperation level going up day by day as the season gets closer.  I'm thinking we wipe the floor with Maryland.  Problem there is keeping the team focused and not overconfident.  But that's a much better problem than losing to Maryland again.  

I've had my hopes of a great season dashed to many years in a row, so going in thinking we will suck will help me be surprised if we do better.

You would think we would be due for that "play over our talent" season by now. We seriously need that this year for Herman to have any shot at winning a title here, if we are 7-5 again this year i'm not sure he will be able to pull in a great class in 2020 and might lose a portion of the 2019 class as well.

Important season coming up. 

34 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Don’t say “we”, you dense mouth-breather. 

I want Texas to win more than anything.

However, my desire for that doesnt change the fact of this 8 year long nightmare.

I will expect an apology in october.

• Fuck You 14

Some of Wickline's evaluations look terrible. 
Nickelson-good kid and somebody that really did care about the program but couldn't block in pass pro to save his life. 
Delance-I was reading somewhere the other day that he's struggling at Florida. Believe he's going to be the 2nd or 3rd string LT. 
Imade- third year and he's a backup. Maybe there's some potential but I haven't heard much about Imade. 
Garrett Thomas-yikes
Rodriguez-maybe slightly above average guard at best. At least I hope. 
Anderson-yikes
Okafor-has some potential. Probably still too early to reach a conclusion on Okafor. 
Hodges-decent tackle but certainly nothing special. 
If not for Connor Williams this is bad. Really bad. 

wasn't Connor Williams a Mack recruit?

14 minutes ago, Snacks said:
17 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:
Some of Wickline's evaluations look terrible. 
Nickelson-good kid and somebody that really did care about the program but couldn't block in pass pro to save his life. 
Delance-I was reading somewhere the other day that he's struggling at Florida. Believe he's going to be the 2nd or 3rd string LT. 
Imade- third year and he's a backup. Maybe there's some potential but I haven't heard much about Imade. 
Garrett Thomas-yikes
Rodriguez-maybe slightly above average guard at best. At least I hope. 
Anderson-yikes
Okafor-has some potential. Probably still too early to reach a conclusion on Okafor. 
Hodges-decent tackle but certainly nothing special. 
If not for Connor Williams this is bad. Really bad. 

Read more  

wasn't Connor Williams a Mack recruit?

No, he committed to Charlie in the 2015 cycle