2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

I’m somewhat surprised the fan base has cooled on Herman so quickly. I understand it, and I’m right there with the them, but I’m still surprised given how the Charlie wars went down.

It was obvious to anyone with a brain cell Strong was an idiot and doomed the second he brought over Watson as his OC. Yet if you questioned Strong on shaggy in years 1 or 2 you were labeled as having bitchassedness or being a racist and we’re getting errbody.

While I’m not convinced Herman is doomed, given his terrible staff and player personnel decisions, his arrogance, and his insistence on protecting buddies while preaching accountability and effort to his players, I have significant doubts. Looks like I’m not alone.
outcomes are not what determine bitchassedness. bitchassedness isn't about the observation, it's about the delivery.

so far, the bitchassedness has been less for this regime... but it rears it's head from time to time.

all of you prople are racists, tho.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Oh dear. A poster who is a blend of snail snot and fecal matter somehow given form and the ability to type doesn't like my opinion. Oh dear. I don't know if I can live with myself. I might feel bad or something. Oh my. Is... is that a tear forming at the corner of my eye? Am I shaking from fear, or did I simply have too much coffee?
Oh dear.
I don't even know what this is about, but I want to quote "snail snot and fecal matter."

I think that's fairly original. is that fairly original?

During Chuck's tenure somebody on Shaggy informed me that you can usually tell a coach by his second year and proceeded to produce data that proved that point pretty persuasively. So I agree, this year is the big one.
I remember that post. I think it was Neverwent... I found it hard to refute, except that it was backward looking and means nothing for tomorrow... but the correlation was real.

I also remember after Shawn Watson's first year including Arky bowl game debacle saying that the OL was so bad that Watson deserves a pass and that it was impossible to make a judgment on his performance.  Good times, good times.
that was me... and it was true. still is.

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I'll believe it when I see it. More to the point, if you have to be shaken into change and aren't into constantly looking to improve, once you do have success, you're likely to regress. That's what happened with Mack, for example.

The reason you see guys like Saban and the Purple Wizard do well year after year is that these guys are always looking to see what they can do better, no matter how successful they were before. 

They also keep their assistants around for longer than a year despite what failings they may display.

55 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Can't wait for both of their good QBs and Aniebonam to be back healthy and electric for the one game against us before imploding again.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Snacks said:
4 hours ago, Lhorn said:
I also remember after Shawn Watson's first year including Arky bowl game debacle saying that the OL was so bad that Watson deserves a pass and that it was impossible to make a judgment on his performance.  Good times, good times.

that was me... and it was true. still is.

Actually the Arky bowl game greatly illustrates both points. That was by far the worst offensive line group I’ve ever seen, and I would have been happy to give Watson et al a pass except for the fact Watson continuously put our poor talent further behind the 8 ball. 

Late in the game we get the ball back and Shawn wants to take a shot. We have Camrhon Hughes at RT and Swoopes playing QB. An OT who couldn’t block air and a QB who struggled to read defenses. So Shawn dials up a PA pass off a 7 step drop with Swoopes turning his back to the defense.  Right there he’s asking Hughes to do what he hasn’t done all year, and if by some miracle he achieves it he’s asking his QB to complete the fake, make a quick read of the secondary he’s had his back to and throw a strike. I believe Hughes missed his block and Swoopes was sacked or had to scramble for a short gain.

Destined for failure, because Watson decided to use his poor talent stupidly in adherence with his offensive dogma. 

About as stupid as going empty on 3rd and long against any defense with a pulse and TN manning one tackle position. 

Im not asking for coaches to succeed with every call, but I think asking them not to ensure failure of an already challenged group isn’t too much to ask. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Game plan:  sell out to stop the run.  make their LB's cover.

I’d split out our blocking TE and throw a couple WR screens to him on critical downs. They’d never expect it for a second year in a row!!

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

The cuntiness on this thread has reached a new shaggy high. And that is saying something. You can be skeptical without spouting a bunch of retarded football diarrhea from your mouth. 

Yes, but no one in this entire country seems to be able to do that

1 hour ago, CastHorn said:

Ugh this is going to be a tough game. I didn't know they had so many of their best players coming back. I don't trust either of our qbs (and Beck) to keep up with their skill players.

Edited by Bruh Man

Ugh this is going to be a tough game. I didn't know they had so many of their best players coming back. I don't trust either of our qbs (and Beck) to keep up with their skill players.
That's grade A bitchassery there, Hager and GJ are gonna end piggies season again, he'll have to wait for a season Texas isn't on the schedule.
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

They do, but there's also a reason the're #80 in Callahan's rankings. Basically all those guys except Aniebonam are really good *for Maryland*. We should be able to out-talent them. Heck, we only lost by 10 last year when we did every player on our team that wasn't Holton Hill seemed to be operating at peak tard.

On 8/5/2018 at 2:38 PM, Bodacious Bevo said:

Alex Dunlap at OB has a few guys that he gets super high on. Kirk Johnson is one of them. Casey Thompson is another. It's really about potential more than anything else. 

I like his OL evaluations the most. He actually has a charting and grading system for the OL that he keeps updated.

So, you are saying he has a "type"?

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Drew Mehringer decided to make an example of Collin Johnson last year because he apparently, in Mehringer's world, got too full of himself and wasn't "aligned". Being buddies with Foreman didn't help him. The WR unit got the worst of the 2017 coaching premise that they were going to beat the shit out of the team until the entitlement wore away. The side effects of that approach included Hemphill-Mapps getting completely disenfranchised and randomly suspended on multiple occasions to the point where he checked out from attending classes by November; Devin Duvernay negging the program to recruits on official visits; and Collin Johnson losing track of which way was up and not knowing where the next kick to his crotch was coming from by the staff. The near total team revolt ahead of the Texas Bowl was a wake up to many on the staff, including Herman. 

Some lessons were learned, but not all of them. During film session with WR recruits and their dads this spring, allegedly, Mehringer made a point of talking shit about the existing talent, including Johnson, to the tune of turning the families off completely, or damn near so. 

LJH also hates him, and there's even more stupid shit to the Wilson and Higgins recruitments involving Mehringer 

On the bright side, a couple of the lesser talented non-diva WRs who don't play might not hate him 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jacob McCandles said:

^^^^ this right here.

There are really only seven plays in football:  inside run; off-tackle run; sweep; misdirection (counter, boot, reverse); play action pass; roll out pass; drop back pass. Everything else (formation, personnel groupings, blocking scheme, option plays, RPO, route combos) is window dressing. If your talent on O is greater than the talent on the opposing D, the less window dressing you need. Bama beats most teams because they overpower them with talent. Same with Clemson. Same with OhState. Same with the 2006 NC team for us.

Texas should always have enough talent to beat nine/ten of the teams on its schedule without "window dressing." It has not been in that position lately.   

Don't agree with this take. Beck is known for a lack of creativity when it comes to the running game. In clutch or key situations, he will always default to the QB draw for an extra blocker with little regard to our personnel strengths and weaknesses. We saw this time and again last year and it started to become very predictable on 3rd and less than 5. it leads to nonsense like this:

image.png

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

You say "tequila talk" like that's a bad thing

A proper mix for Burnt Orange Kool-aid for the preseason is this:

In a large glass or mug 20-26 oz, size depending on proximity to refill or crusin, if hunting tail I suggest the large Yeti or like type big cup.

1) Fill to above half with ice

2) float the ice with Heradura Reposado

3) Top with OJ to a true Burnt Orange

4) Drink and become more ready for the season that awaits us.

Under its influence you will actually like our QB, line and corches after al it can only help.

Edited by Domedriver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

They do, but there's also a reason the're #80 in Callahan's rankings. Basically all those guys except Aniebonam are really good *for Maryland*. We should be able to out-talent them. Heck, we only lost by 10 last year when we did every player on our team that wasn't Holton Hill seemed to be operating at peak tard.

I watched that game again this weekend to see if I could root cause some of our main issues. 

On defense, I have no idea why Malik Jefferson thought it was a good idea to go pro. This single game film cost him any chance of being drafted in the first or second round. He made Reed Boyd look like the love child of Mike Singletary and Lawerance Taylor. I do not think I can recall a single play where he wasn’t completely fucking lost. 

As Texas fans we havd been exposed to some shitty linebacker play but this was the gold standard for suckage. Simple zone read plays were easily executed- even by backups against the happless Wheeler and Jefferson. The 2000 OU game did not display as much incompetence from the linebacking unit. 

On offense, well Tim Beck went Potato. 

Maryland is a terrible team in a shit conference. If we do not show up and suck, we win this game. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I watched that game again this weekend to see if I could root cause some of our main issues. 

On defense, I have no idea why Malik Jefferson thought it was a good idea to go pro. This single game film cost him any chance of being drafted in the first or second round. He made Reed Boyd look like the love child of Mike Singletary and Lawerance Taylor. I do not think I can recall a single play where he wasn’t completely fucking lost. 

As Texas fans we havd been exposed to some shitty linebacker play but this was the gold standard for suckage. Simple zone read plays were easily executed- even by backups against the happless Wheeler and Jefferson. The 2000 OU game did not display as much incompetence from the linebacking unit. 

On offense, well Tim Beck went Potato. 

Maryland is a terrible team in a shit conference. If we do not show up and suck, we win this game. 

I don’t think they are anything special, but they have talent and some solid position groups with depth. It’s about what you would expect from a lower mid tier P5 team. Their Running game can be lethal. I think if we make them one dimensional we should be able to jump on them quick.

6 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I was really hoping somebody would step up and convince me the OL is better this year than I think it is.  Sadly, that has not happened.

Are you retarded? We haven’t seen them do anything yet. Not even a scrimmage. Most of us aren’t $9.95ers and we aren’t going to make shit up just to humor you.

Are you an aggy by chance?

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Maryland fans expect their offense to be better this year still I'm not worried about our defense. They should be motivated after the shitshow last year. Can the offense consistently put up TD's not FG's on the road in a semi-hostile environment? IDK. 

As far as talent goes, I'd take their rb's, Carter and Aniebonam on our team.   

50 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Re Malik.  Let me refresh your memory.  He was a little unsteady but he had quite a few really good plays in that game.  In just the first five or six of this tape there’s a couple of wow plays and a couple of wtf plays   

This is why highlights are not a good representation of what halpened. He was fucking awful in that game. . 

• Like 2

We are going to win at least 10 games unless our quarterback room has a complete meltdown.  Sam can be a stud if it all works.  Cam Rising or Casey may have done just as well as Sam if the roles were reversed.  Rising is a big dude with a big arm, and is free from big game losing brain farts.  Casey is a Big 12 QB that most of our competitors would have liked to have including,  little Lincoln.  I am dranking the koolaid.  Tope Imade is a big bad mofo that is kicking seniors asses and raising hell.  Tre Watson, Johnson and Ingraham breaking ankles and Young showing out like the bowl game.  Less than a month.  Sign me up.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

We are going to win at least 10 games unless our quarterback room has a complete meltdown.  Sam can be a stud if it all works.  Cam Rising or Casey may have done just as well as Sam if the roles were reversed.  Rising is a big dude with a big arm, and is free from big game losing brain farts.  Casey is a Big 12 QB that most of our competitors would have liked to have including,  little Lincoln.  I am dranking the koolaid.  Tope Imade is a big bad mofo that is kicking seniors asses and raising hell.  Tre Watson, Johnson and Ingraham breaking ankles and Young showing out like the bowl game.  Less than a month.  Sign me up.  

ISWYDT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GotThatFire said:

Who’s the ankle breaker at :13 

1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

Ankle breaker looks like Tre Watson.  

He's up to full contact now

Watson is still no-contact. CTH said the presser that they'll test him again on Monday and hopefully he'll be ready for contact. Right now just 7v7 and individual drills. 

I'm guessing the ankle breaker is Kyle Porter Kirko Grinds or Toneil. Level 2 that Kirk's fast twitch moves have been super so far. I know we're all tempering expectations for him but it's good to hear he's still fast and quick after the injuries, although CTH has already said he needs to learn to apply it within the playbook. 

Even if Kirk doesn't make it to the season healthy (and I'm still quite skeptical that he does), every snap he plays in practice is good for the defense, because he's one the two most talented backs on our team right now.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

I'm gonna get on the record that I think Kirk makes it to the season healthy and finishes the year with the highest ypc on the team. Limited carries (3rd or 4th most) and not a lot of TDs. 

Now let me go find some wood to knock the fuck out of

E: Going off nothing but blind faith and belief in his grind here. It's one of my bold predictions for the season. Speaking of, we need a 'Call your shot' type thread in the week leading up to the season. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Like 1