2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

24 minutes ago, Chopper said:

A private company bought AAS. I believe they're best known for stripping newspapers down to the bare minimum and stuffing the profits into the pockets of the owners. 

How dare owners require businesses turn a profit! 

Fuck AAS. I hope all of their sports writers get gay AIDS and die. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 6:14 PM, satyanash said:

Bobby Burton: Thursday

Hide contents

Nagging injuries have a way of affecting a team. That's why Jeff McCulloch's recent injury is concerning. In and of itself, it's really not that big of a deal. McCulloch is expected to only be sidelined for the next couple of weeks. The setback will likely push McCulloch into nothing more than a bit role for the first couple of games this season as he gets back into playing shape and his strength returns.

But when injuries across the entire team start to mount, that's when it becomes a much larger discussion. I'm not writing this to sound the alarm bells. It's just one new injury after all. Instead, I think we just need to keep the injuries in mind. The next couple of weeks are about the Longhorns emerging a better team, and a large part of that is for the team to be as healthy as possible. McCulloch's setback is a small one. Let's hope there aren't more than 2 or 3 others over the next couple of weeks, and certainly not injuries to primary contributors.

incredulous.gif

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

That would bother me if the Statesman were worth reading anymore. As it is... meh.

Yeah, I should've said...while there have been some good journalists there, It's been a big underperformer quality-wise for the past 25 years, and it's gotten much worse as they struggled with the internet. The sports section has always been worthless to the best of my recollection. 

The new punter was the only one who took snaps in the spring so I'd think so. I think the coaches will keep Rowland at PK since he was decent there but with the new kickoff rule, who knows. I think he'll still do FGs too until he starts fucking up.
Wait, did you say Rowland was decent? He fucking sucked at kickoffs as well...sometimes he could find the ez, sometimes he couldn't. Rowland shouldn't even suit up as long as Dicker is decent...as in truly decent.

32 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

I continue to be a bit amazed at the 9.95ers whistling past the kicking game graveyard. Not a single comment about the FG kickers. This vexes me.

Kicking has a huge mental component to it. You can look like a world-beater in practice only to fall short when the lights come on.

• Like 1

Watching the 1996 Big 12 Championship against the Nebs and I am amazed at the level of talent on that Texas team.  We had probably the greatest collection of backs with the Priest, Ricky and Shon Mitchell.  A real offensive line, Adams and McGarrity at WR, Real TEs in Pat Fitzgerald and Derek Lewis and Dawson kicking.

On the D we had probably the stoutest DL with Akins and Casey Hampton, good linebackers and the secondary of the Gods led by Bryant Westbrook!

I dream of the days we have that level of talent again and I hope we have a real corch!

20 minutes ago, Domedriver said:

Corching counts!  Gary _arnell on D and the Wine Drinker,  It was heart breaking

And then the following year we gave John Mackovic a blank check to hire Darnell's replacement, only to watch him promote Bobby Jack Fucking Wright. That was the beginning of the end for Mackovic.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, South Austin said:

And then the following year we gave John Mackovic a blank check to hire Darnell's replacement, only to watch him promote Bobby Jack Fucking Wright. That was the beginning of the end for Mackovic.

Are you saying you'd take issue with Herman if Orlando left, and we promoted Mehringer to DC?

Based on the OB podcast they want to see an OL of Anderson, Vahe, Kerstetter, Okafor and Cosmi. 

I do agree with the notion that one of Cosmi, Kerstetter or Okafor needs to play inside if they don't win one of the tackle spots. I'm going to guess all 3 are likely better than Shack or Rodriguez. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Based on the OB podcast they want to see an OL of Anderson, Vahe, Kerstetter, Okafor and Cosmi. 

I do agree with the notion that one of Cosmi, Kerstetter or Okafor needs to play inside if they don't win one of the tackle spots. I'm going to guess all 3 are likely better than Shack or Rodriguez. 

One more year and we can finally upgrade Vahe. I respect what he’s done for the program and wish him nothing but the best, but he’s a liability in pass protection. 

19 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

One more year and we can finally upgrade Vahe. I respect what he’s done for the program and wish him nothing but the best, but he’s a liability in pass protection. 

I generally hope we have 1-2 guys pushing all of our projected starters at some point this year, honestly.  

On 8/2/2018 at 12:09 PM, TheFlagship said:

As with every other season this decade, our win total will be dictated by QB play. I think 7-8 wins is the ceiling without above average QB performance (aka what we’ve had for last 8 years). Assuming Sam is the guy and he takes the next step and becomes an all-conference player, then we can win 10 games if not more. Otherwise, it’ll be more of the same unfortunately.

Until I see consistent discipline and decision making out of our QB(s) and the necessary improvement on the OL, I'm hard pressed to say I expect 9 wins. Doesn't mean we won't get that many, or even more...just means it will be really hard within generally better play on the offensive side. With enough time to throw and enough holes to run through, I feel our receivers and RBs are good enough to hit that mark. And unless the D takes a big step back, we should be solid enough over there. OU's loss of Mayfield could be key to our season...but we know we'll still have to fight to take the game. That won't change.