2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Tell you what, fucker, the next time you're in Houston, let me know and I'll call in a chip and get you in for free. You'll be disappointed if you're looking for anything that isn't above board and top of the mark though. You'll have to check in with someone like SydneyCarton or Huckleberry if you want some sort of joint involved with happy endings. 

I own the day spa with the inventor of this legendary beauty:

1178570.jpg

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Ctj opened a happy endings parlor with Greg Davis. I think we could all see this coming.

Neither the WR nor you get full release.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

It never fails that the 9.95ers, who are supposedly watching the same practice, see completely different things.

It was a closed scrimmage. They’re going off what their sources say. That being said, I’m skeptical of all things OB.

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

In reading that article, and others, I'd challenge that it's a scam. There are medically verified reactions in the body to ice baths and cryotherapy, he he agrees on, and then there is a lot of stuff untested or not fully tested. Things get problematic when claims around those advanced effects are either overzealous or downright dubious. I feel like what guys like that author should really say is: "It's not clear how helpful this treatment is, although it's clear that at worst, it's got a placebo effect and is doing you no harm. Still though, you're an idiot to pay $100+ per treatment when you could do this at home for free." Then their agenda would be clear and people can take from it what they will. This line of thinking is akin to those who lament people wasting money by going out to dinner, when they could just be making dinner at home. Two different worldviews, both sides of which view the other as rather sad.

Full Disclosure: I've had ice baths for athletic recovery purposes, but never done cryo. I am a silent owner in a day spa that does not have cryo, but does many other treatments that the customers seem to enjoy quite a bit, even if the medical verifications to their outputs remain debated. Hell, I'm sure there are guys out there writing that massage therapy is a waste of money and unproven by science, but I know few people who get massages that don't swear by them, including athletes.

Sorry for the thread derail, but somewhat relevant conversation when thinking about our S&C and nutrition programs for the team. 

Ah, your place does stem cell injections?

7 hours ago, Red Five said:

It sure seems like they’re trying to move Kerstetter off RT.

Am I crazy for thinking our best starting O-line might be Anderson, Vahe, Kerstetter, Imade, Okafor?

Shack has only ever been serviceable at center and I've heard center might ultimately be Kerstetters most natural position. Rodriguez is meh and Imade sounds like he suddenly became a man this offseason. Casey Studdard was raving about him looking beastly on the radio last week. 

18 minutes ago, AndThenIWentToTexas said:

Am I crazy for thinking our best starting O-line might be Anderson, Vahe, Kerstetter, Imade, Okafor?

Shack has only ever been serviceable at center and I've heard center might ultimately be Kerstetters most natural position. Rodriguez is meh and Imade sounds like he suddenly became a man this offseason. Casey Studdard was raving about him looking beastly on the radio last week. 

I would pump the brakes on Imade until we actually see him play a down.

Okafor always seemed to be more of a swing guy at tackle than a long term solution.

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Anything from Maryland practices?  Who may be starting at QB for them in a couple of weeka?

The feeling seems to be that the Dinich piece from ESPN was very Chip Brownish, in that she sought out a few disgruntled players and coach and built the narrative of a "toxic culture" based on those malcontents' stories. Most of the team is in Durkin's corner, and apparently a few of their players have even left camp and claimed not to return until Durkin is reinstated.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

Josh Brolin Avengers voice: Fuck Chip Brown.  That said, I don’t recall Chips hit piece having specific, verifiable and consistent instances of unacceptable behavio like the Dinich piece. I personally feel like the  aftermath of the death and the relative ease of verifying the behaviors will make Durkin a goner.  Those players who left will have to deal with that.  I hope they choose to come back and play us. Either way the storyline of the game will make a win for us meaningless outside the circle of our team and fan base.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Josh Brolin Avengers voice: Fuck Chip Brown.  That said, I don’t recall Chips hit piece having specific, verifiable and consistent instances of unacceptable behavio like the Dinich piece. I personally feel like the  aftermath of the death and the relative ease of verifying the behaviors will make Durkin a goner.  Those players who left will have to deal with that.  I hope they choose to come back and play us. Either way the storyline of the game will make a win for us meaningless outside the circle of our team and fan base.  

A win over Maryland is meaningless in the eyes of the public because we're Texas and they're Maryland.

The gauntlet of USC, TCU, @KSU, OU will shape public perception, and most likely, our season.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

A win over Maryland is meaningless in the eyes of the public because we're Texas and they're Maryland.

The gauntlet of USC, TCU, @KSU, OU will shape public perception, and most likely, our season.

This. I can see us beating USC KSU. Likely OU if midget is Playing. Tcu hex has rivaled the purple wizard. Just no idea what to think. OU I still think is a toss up. For whatever reason but if our play backs up our finally attitude of pipe hitting FU. We win 

Edited by Sgt Hulk

48 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Nah, no one will give a shit, especially with the program in disarray. It's only notable if we lose.

I will give a shit, for whatever that is worth. I’d like to be vaguely relevant heading into the USC game. I’d like to see 9+ wins this season. That’s hard to imagine without beating Maryland. I’ll start worrying about what anyone else thinks when we prove we can breathe a faint breath near 10 wins, I guess. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I will give a shit, for whatever that is worth. I’d like to see be vaguely relevant heading into the USC game. I’d like to see 9+ wins this season. That’s hard to imagine without beating Maryland. I’ll start worrying about what anyone else thinks when we prove we can breathe a faint breath near 10 wins, I guess. 

Well obviously we will all care - I was talking about the CFB universe writ large.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

The feeling seems to be that the Dinich piece from ESPN was very Chip Brownish, in that she sought out a few disgruntled players and coach and built the narrative of a "toxic culture" based on those malcontents' stories. Most of the team is in Durkin's corner, and apparently a few of their players have even left camp and claimed not to return until Durkin is reinstated.

I like the sound of that.

Hopefully more players follow suit.

I'm okay with a weakened Maryland after watching us completely shit the bed against them last year before all of their QBs went down and they seemed like a shitty team at the end of the year. The final may have been a 10 point margin, but the game wasn't nearly that close in the 2nd half. IIRC there was a late Texas TD and then Maryland ran out the clock in our red zone. (I could be wrong, but I remember thinking "The score doesn't look quite as bad as it really was.")