2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

The feeling seems to be that the Dinich piece from ESPN was very Chip Brownish, in that she sought out a few disgruntled players and coach and built the narrative of a "toxic culture" based on those malcontents' stories. Most of the team is in Durkin's corner, and apparently a few of their players have even left camp and claimed not to return until Durkin is reinstated.

Yeah the ESPN story was nothing more than a cover for the shit going down in Columbus. It's tragic that the kid died, and if the investigation proves that the program was at fault then those responsible should be held accountable, but there have been deaths at other schools and there weren't hit pieces written about the coach.

Moreover that she never interviewed other players or former bosses is evident that they wrote the story to match the conclusion that had already been drawn.

Edited by HtownHorn

Maryland could be mentally fractured, or it could be some sort of bizarro rallying cry for their fallen teammate and their fallen coach, and the National media will absolutely be paying attention to this game. If we shit the bed again, the story will be about Maryland overcoming adversity, the coaching job by Canada, and more stories about Jordan McNair. A sidebar story will be Tom Herman and the Longhorns, and questions about the seat getting warmer, back to back losses to Maryland, etc. This game fucking matters, bottom line, and this story only further adds to its scrutiny in the National press.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

A win over Maryland is meaningless in the eyes of the public because we're Texas and they're Maryland.

The gauntlet of USC, TCU, @KSU, OU will shape public perception, and most likely, our season.

I would set the public reaction scale as:

Lose (regardless of score): LOLTEXASSTILLSUCKSLOL

Barely Win: Who Cares

Steamroll: You have my slight attention.  

We really need to kick the ever-living shit out of them.  

Edited by BigVegasHorn26
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I thought the same thing, but on the flip side, Herman abhors TBs that can't control the rock, and that was one of the few selling points anyone could offer about Porter last year. The guy needs to stay 6th string and graduate quickly. 

I've heard all along that Anderson was going to be fine as the opening game starter, but they weren't just going to throw him in there and create culture issues. He's looked good, not great, which is just fine. They're letting him earn the role in the team's eyes.

When a player is being sourced for info, their perspective isn't always going to line up with reality. They all know how services are viewing upperclassmen heading into a season, but their ability to grasp development in real time, or how transient preseason draft rankings are, is suspect.

I hope Ingram is a bad ass and makes us all forget Kyle Porter 2017, but Daniel Young is an excellent back to have starting in this offense. If Ingram comes on, Carter controls the football, and Johnson somehow stays healthy, along with Watson and Young looking good, the optionality in the backfield for this season will be absurd compared to what we were dealing with last season. Good problems to have.

Who are you, and what did you do with CTJ?

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No clue from my end. I'm pretty much from Missouri regarding everything on offense, even if I was hearing a bunch of hype for players/units. We still have 3 terrible components to the offensive staff in Warehime, Meh, and Beck (as a playcaller). The OL was the worst OL I think I've ever seen. We beat the shit out of our QBs and Ehlinger is one of the dumbest decisionmakers I've ever watched. Our WRs are like the children of an alcoholic parent - they never know what's coming at them next from the position coach and they can't even predict who will regularly start. The TEs are an absolute unproven commodity and I have zero faith in Anthony Beck making a material difference in any facet. I won't believe that we've figured TB out until I fail to see Kyle Porter take meaningful snaps for multiple games in a row. So outside of wanting to be hopeful and hearing positive, believable takes on Anderson, I don't have much regarding the O. 

Never mind, he's back . . .

12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No clue from my end. I'm pretty much from Missouri regarding everything on offense, even if I was hearing a bunch of hype for players/units. We still have 3 terrible components to the offensive staff in Warehime, Meh, and Beck (as a playcaller). The OL was the worst OL I think I've ever seen. We beat the shit out of our QBs and Ehlinger is one of the dumbest decisionmakers I've ever watched. Our WRs are like the children of an alcoholic parent - they never know what's coming at them next from the position coach and they can't even predict who will regularly start. The TEs are an absolute unproven commodity and I have zero faith in Anthony Beck making a material difference in any facet. I won't believe that we've figured TB out until I fail to see Kyle Porter take meaningful snaps for multiple games in a row. So outside of wanting to be hopeful and hearing positive, believable takes on Anderson, I don't have much regarding the O. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5927355

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Machinator said:

A win over Maryland is meaningless in the eyes of the public because we're Texas and they're Maryland.

The gauntlet of USC, TCU, @KSU, OU will shape public perception, and most likely, our season.

A win over MD is not meaningless.  B10 school, on the road is a good win.

24 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Partly true, but... overall, it's only meaningful if we lose (loltexaslollollol) or kick the shit out of them with 20 freshmen playing the whole second half (dammmmnnntexas). A close win is a full-grown meh. We might just as well see meaningfulness from whipping Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina or any other basketball school.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Again, to us it isn’t meaningless. We are double digit favorites. We are expected to crush them. The rest of cab won’t think twice. If we don’t, that’s when it is a bigger deal, and not just for us. 

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Partly true, but... overall, it's only meaningful if we lose (loltexaslollollol) or kick the shit out of them with 20 freshmen playing the whole second half (dammmmnnntexas). A close win is a full-grown meh. We might just as well see meaningfulness from whipping Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina or any other basketball school.

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

47 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Again, to us it isn’t meaningless. We are double digit favorites. We are expected to crush them. The rest of cab won’t think twice. If we don’t, that’s when it is a bigger deal, and not just for us. 

Right, this isn't hard. 

Obviously, given that the only alternative to winning is losing (captainobvious.gif), there is no such thing as a "meaningless" win in the eyes of Texas fans. But nobody outside Austin is going to give a rat's ass if we beat Maryland by 2, or by 20. Just get to September 15 unbeaten, and we'll go from there.

Edited by Machinator

It is an important win psychologically.  We started and ended the regular season poorly last year.  We are coming off a bowl win with a much improved roster imo.  Beat Maryland and Tulsa, and Gameday will come to Austin.  Our young guys need some reps in cleanup time before USC.  If this team goes undefeated in non conference play, 9 wins will be certainly achievable.

I feel really good about this season with the work that the staff and team has put into building a competitive team.  These guys are almost there, and we should be competing for the conference championship this season.  

Maryland is in't a cream puff team.  They are a Power 5 conference team.  They beat us last year at home.  The horns lost to Kansas two years ago.  No team should be taken lightly. A win against them on the road sets the tone for the season and will kickoff the Mensa revenge tour.  The road to 10 wins starts in College Park.

• Like 1

we ended the year beating a mizzou team who was better than this year's maryland team.  our d should be the same or better, o will be better.  we are going to mudstomp maryland.  

if herman and staff weren't idiots and actually prepared for last year's maryland game, we wouldn't have lost.  herman may be an asshole mensa prick, he may be a slow learner, but i doubt he makes the same stupid mistake twice.

30 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

if herman and staff weren't idiots and actually prepared for last year's maryland game, we wouldn't have lost.  herman may be an asshole mensa prick, he may be a slow learner, but i doubt he makes the same stupid mistake twice.

It happens more than you think. OU use to use early practices to game plan against Texas and they would have several close games early on because of it. Mack just practiced and game planned like it was any other game.

2 hours ago, elnimo said:

Maryland is in't a cream puff team.  They are a Power 5 conference team.  They beat us last year at home.  The horns lost to Kansas two years ago.  No team should be taken lightly. A win against them on the road sets the tone for the season and will kickoff the Mensa revenge tour.  The road to 10 wins starts in College Park.

Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that no one nationally is really going to notice us until the SC game unless we lose.