2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

27 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Kerstetter at 1st team center sounds big.

About fucking time.

Also as @closetojumping said fumbles will sideline porter once and for all. Herman did say that the team was practicing a lot more 12 personnel and in that situation, I could see porter being used as a blocker, but not much else. 

27 minutes ago, ousux said:
38 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Any scientific evidence cryo tanks work as advertised? Even if it's a placebo, good that we have them for recruiting purposes I guess..

they're just a more expensive ice bath. Same principle of reducing inflammation after workouts. Now all the cryo therapy places opening up in the suburbs, those are scams.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Viper said:

they're just a more expensive ice bath. Same principle of reducing inflammation after workouts. Now all the cryo therapy places opening up in the suburbs, those are scams.

In reading that article, and others, I'd challenge that it's a scam. There are medically verified reactions in the body to ice baths and cryotherapy, he he agrees on, and then there is a lot of stuff untested or not fully tested. Things get problematic when claims around those advanced effects are either overzealous or downright dubious. I feel like what guys like that author should really say is: "It's not clear how helpful this treatment is, although it's clear that at worst, it's got a placebo effect and is doing you no harm. Still though, you're an idiot to pay $100+ per treatment when you could do this at home for free." Then their agenda would be clear and people can take from it what they will. This line of thinking is akin to those who lament people wasting money by going out to dinner, when they could just be making dinner at home. Two different worldviews, both sides of which view the other as rather sad.

Full Disclosure: I've had ice baths for athletic recovery purposes, but never done cryo. I am a silent owner in a day spa that does not have cryo, but does many other treatments that the customers seem to enjoy quite a bit, even if the medical verifications to their outputs remain debated. Hell, I'm sure there are guys out there writing that massage therapy is a waste of money and unproven by science, but I know few people who get massages that don't swear by them, including athletes.

Sorry for the thread derail, but somewhat relevant conversation when thinking about our S&C and nutrition programs for the team. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I feel like what guys like that author should really say is: "It's not clear how helpful this treatment is, although it's clear that at worst, it's got a placebo effect and is doing you no harm. Still though, you're an idiot to pay $100+ per treatment when you could do this at home for free." 

That's kind of what I took from the article/podcast, just not in so many words

Some athletes have been doing the cold-water version for some time: ice baths, literally a bathtub full of water and ice. This is great for orthopedic sore spots like shoulders and knees that might need an ice pack after a workout,

Athletes who turn to cryotherapy often do so to treat chronic joint pain or to help muscles recover from exercise; exactly what we typically use ice packs for. Since the ice pack is in direct contact with your skin, it can conduct the heat away far more efficiently than a cryosauna, and is way more convenient and affordable.

But mix a little science literacy into your visit and understand what you actually will receive, and the prospect gets a whole lot cheerier. If you're into adrenalin rushes, a visit to -170°C/-275°F in your skivvies might be just the thing for you. It's not free like a jump into a snow bank or an icy mountain lake, but if you've got the $50-100 to spare, why not get your rush from standing in the coldest freezer you'll ever see? 

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

wow, we can put a man on the moon but they can't capture audio at a press conference...

Yeah first weak ass response by CDC but whatever, still happy to have him. He should know though that the LHN broadcast has mics but the youtube ones do not. I'm not sure they do online either. As to the post practices, I get that it's more difficult but something can be arranged to capture the 10 or so people huddled in a small space. 

28 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Yeah first weak ass response by CDC but whatever, still happy to have him. He should know though that the LHN broadcast has mics but the youtube ones do not. I'm not sure they do online either. As to the post practices, I get that it's more difficult but something can be arranged to capture the 10 or so people huddled in a small space. 

Wasn't it someone other than CDC who replied to that one?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Why didn't you ever tell me that you owned a massage parlor? I thought we were friends.

Tell you what, fucker, the next time you're in Houston, let me know and I'll call in a chip and get you in for free. You'll be disappointed if you're looking for anything that isn't above board and top of the mark though. You'll have to check in with someone like SydneyCarton or Huckleberry if you want some sort of joint involved with happy endings. 

I own the day spa with the inventor of this legendary beauty:

1178570.jpg

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Tell you what, fucker, the next time you're in Houston, let me know and I'll call in a chip and get you in for free. You'll be disappointed if you're looking for anything that isn't above board and top of the mark though. You'll have to check in with someone like SydneyCarton or Huckleberry if you want some sort of joint involved with happy endings. 

I own the day spa with the inventor of this legendary beauty:

1178570.jpg

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No clue from my end. I'm pretty much from Missouri regarding everything on offense, even if I was hearing a bunch of hype for players/units. We still have 3 terrible components to the offensive staff in Warehime, Meh, and Beck (as a playcaller). The OL was the worst OL I think I've ever seen. We beat the shit out of our QBs and Ehlinger is one of the dumbest decisionmakers I've ever watched. Our WRs are like the children of an alcoholic parent - they never know what's coming at them next from the position coach and they can't even predict who will regularly start. The TEs are an absolute unproven commodity and I have zero faith in Anthony Beck making a material difference in any facet. I won't believe that we've figured TB out until I fail to see Kyle Porter take meaningful snaps for multiple games in a row. So outside of wanting to be hopeful and hearing positive, believable takes on Anderson, I don't have much regarding the O. 

If anyone was wondering what a Grimdark 9.95 report would look like, there you go. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, I look a little non-white because I'm Mexican, not Vietnamese.

3 hours ago, Mileslong said:

wow, we can put a man on the moon but they can't capture audio at a press conference...

So what you're saying is if the press conference was being held in 1969/1970's we could capture audio.  However, currently not only can we not capture audio, but we have to rely on the Russians to host the press conference.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

37 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Herb Hand likes to tinker with lineups and cross-train linemen extensively. I wouldn't take a snapshot from the first scrimmage in pads as set in stone.

I hope Herb Hand likes to call the plays too.... Also coach the WR how to block on the edge... @3:00 jump pass from wildcat

Edited by Zavala
  • Like 1