2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

21 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Who's your No. 1?  Young?

Yeah. Carter seems lost in the shuffle. 

Young, Ingram, Watson (3rd down back type). 

I think until Carter proves he's not a fumbling machine he's going to have a tough time getting reps.

Edited by texasstrong12

16 minutes ago, Caver60 said:

I sort of wish we'd build a proper pen or corral for him in the stadium and not put him in a corner.

I was thinking of a golden 20’ pedestal with a full sized bronzed aggy milkman in his “Whooop!” pose at the base for Bevo to shit on. 

No one returned my calls

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, sdm said:

Chip Brown trying to foster his premise that Calvin Anderson is weak and small, Herman shuts him down. Fuck you you cunt chip brown.

You can really see that Tom Herman hates Chip Brown, and with good reason. Chip better watch his ass. He thinks he’s untouchable and I’m ready for Herman to give him the Alex Jones treatment. 

• Like 1

I believe the key to this season is all on the OL. If the OL continues to suck, the team will suck. The team that controls the LOS on both sides of the ball wins. 

What you are saying Coach Madden is that if we can have a coherent offense and score points and limit the points scored by the other team we should win?

SIAP, but the recap of the scrimmage in the DMN said Gary Johnson was limited due to a groin injury. I haven't seen this before and I could have sworn I read he had a stinger.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/texaslonghorns/2018/08/11/three-takeaways-following-texas-first-scrimmage-including-win-defense

20 minutes ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

SIAP, but the recap of the scrimmage in the DMN said Gary Johnson was limited due to a groin injury. I haven't seen this before and I could have sworn I read he had a stinger.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/texaslonghorns/2018/08/11/three-takeaways-following-texas-first-scrimmage-including-win-defense

He had the groin injury during spring. These fucks don't even update their stories.

What you are saying Coach Madden is that if we can have a coherent offense and score points and limit the points scored by the other team we should win?
That sounds like an excellent plan, have you ever considered becoming coach of the Longhorns?

5 hours ago, Domedriver said:

So is this real?  Are they really closing off San Jacinto and doing the street thing?

I hope so.  I have been hit twice by fat cat alumni hags in suburbans pissed to have to drive through the crowd after another ugly loss.

Fuck the bitch!  No cars on San Jac is righteous!

That’s kind of the way I interpreted the email from Exes as well. God I hope it’s true. Opens up San Jac extensively without cars on each side. 

looks like cosmi ran over ojomo in the circle drill. i hope the hype is real with him. him and kerstetter were two great late recruiting pickups. it's always a good idea to leave a spot or two for late blooming olinemen. 
Think you could take on a college o-linemen at 14? Ojomo will be truckin fools himself by the end of camp..

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ousux said:

Think you could take on a college o-linemen at 14? Ojomo will be truckin fools himself by the end of camp..

yes I would think about takeing on a college O lineman at 14.

but deffinatly not at 16.........

Edited by TexasTroll

21 hours ago, sdm said:

Chip Brown trying to foster his premise that Calvin Anderson is weak and small, Herman shuts him down. Fuck you you cunt chip brown.

Herman did say in his comments that they needed to get Anderson as big and strong as possible as fast as possible. That leads me to believe there may be some truth to it, but a lot of that can be overcome with good technique. Just ask the purple wizard.

13 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

looks like cosmi ran over ojomo in the circle drill. i hope the hype is real with him. him and kerstetter were two great late recruiting pickups. it's always a good idea to leave a spot or two for late blooming olinemen. 

I love Ojomo but I hope to God we redshirt him this year. The kid would be a five star recruit this year if he were a senior in HS.

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

I love Ojomo but I hope to God we redshirt him this year. The kid would be a five star recruit this year if he were a senior in HS.

He can play in the last two regular season games, the Big 12 title game and the bowl and still be a RS freshman next year. I would let him develop physically and not let him touch the field until then. 

18 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

He can play in the last two regular season games, the Big 12 title game and the bowl and still be a RS freshman next year. I would let him develop physically and not let him touch the field until then. 

Wrong.  Last conference game, then conference championship, then two college playoff games . 

• Like 2

IT 2018 Texas Season Preview: Linebackers

At Texas, no other position on defense has been more inconsistent this decade than linebacker. This is best exhibited twice in near mirroring fashion. 

In Manny Diaz's first year, he inherited experienced and talented players in Keenan Robinson and Emmanuel Acho. After they departed the Texas defense went from good to Taysom Hill Heisman candidate.

In Vance Bedford's first year, he inherited experienced and talented players in Jordan Hicks and Steve Edmond. This differs slightly in that Hicks was oft-injured and despite being very talented, Edmond had been poorly developed. Linebackers coach Brian Jean-Mary did well to get Hicks and Edmond playing the best ball of their career. Then they departed and the defense went from good to whatever portmanteau comes from dreadful and Bedford. 

Compare these scenarios to what Todd Orlando inherited at the position. He had Malik Jefferson, who like Edmond flashed talent at times, but played far too inconsistently. He had Anthony Wheeler who looked the part much more than he played it. Given poor depth and lack of success at the position, he added Gary Johnson. Upon arrival Johnson was an incredible athlete and instinctive, but on the smaller side and hadn't been developed. 

So what did Orlando do? He dedicated numbers to stopping the pass yet still stopped the run. 

Jefferson was downright excellent at times and good most others. Wheeler had his stumbles and was replaced by Jefferson but that was only made possible by Johnson's emergence and Jefferson's understanding of multiple positions.

Orlando's job as a position coach last year was the best one we've seen in quite some time. Given the context of what he inherited and what he did with it, as well as his history at U of H, I feel confident that as long as he's at Texas the program will field quality play at the position even if individual talent levels ebb and flow.

Here's another kernel to stick between your teeth: when he changed what is effectively his base defense from nickel to dime in mid-season, he added another position to coach. Like Commissioner Gordon, the Joker falls under his jurisdiction. 

This will undoubtedly be the lowest numbers Orlando has to work with at the position. Because of that he's cross-trained those versatile enough to play multiple positions as well as expedited the timelines for younger players.

RLB SR Gary Johnson, #33, 6-0, 230: Past: As an offensive player with 10.6 speed and a defensive temperament, he represents the case study for what schools who recruit poorly on defense should be looking for. Find guys who might be lacking the necessary offensive skill but nevertheless project to college athletically, then put them in the right spot. He's the type of eval that would over-excite another Gary into labor prematurely. Johnson was a three-sport athlete with bountiful twitch and a dinner plate sized chip on his shoulder. Present: Showed the same tackle-machine traits in his first year at Texas as he did at Dodge City CC. Because of his instincts and elite speed he could get by at times being an athlete at the position. Future: You don't often find leaders in the Juco ranks but that's exactly what Johnson is. He isn't going to give a 20 minute speech, but he is going to tell you to get all your reps and get more if you're not doing them right. Ain't no half-reppin'. He'll be the heart of the defense and bolster his rep as a sideline to sideline player. Though Rover is his home because it best marries his strengths to scheme, he's worked at Mac, B-backer, and F-backer.

MLB SR Anthony Wheeler, #45, 6-3, 235: Past: Highly recruited linebacker from Dallas Skyline who looked like a Texas take as early as his sophomore year when he was an edge defender. Present: He's started a lot of games but it's been a mixed bag. Even if you grant that he was poorly developed under Strong, he still played inconsistently last season before essentially being replaced to make room for Johnson. We see the light bulb come on for different players at different times, or sometimes not at all. Wheeler is a bit stiff so he can't afford to not diagnose incorrectly, but I must I was decently encouraged by his performance in the spring game. He made some good plays out in space which is a bonus for what he's asked to do. Future: He could get caught up in the positional wash again this season depending on how he performs compared to others, including Malcolm Roach and Jeffrey McCulloch. For now he's the odds on favorite to own the job after he serves his first half suspension versus Maryland, but we know how Roach starts bouncing around and maiming people once the lights come on. If Wheeler has a strong year it will be another indication of Orlando's ability as a teacher. Good dude, hope Wheeler balls out and gets a look at the NFL, but if not he could probably eat M&M's on his way to winning a handful of Sandow's. 

BLB JR Malcolm Roach, #32, 6-3, 270: Past: Hilariously underrated football athlete. If we measure weight here by Coburns, I think we should use Roach rather than newton for the unit of force. Roach simply has too much bounce to the ounce to measure by conventional standards. Present: He's only made 8 career starts but he's played a lot of snaps from many different alignments. If it seems he's been all over the field it's because he has. Roach is a bit of a victim of his own ability to line up where needed rather than where he's best suited. His long-term position is clearly as a defensive end or edge defender, but he's also getting looks at more traditional linebacker positions. Future: In the Humidor we hinted at Breckyn Hager aligning all over the field and Roach will as well. He's worked every linebacker position save F-backer as well as along the defensive line. Where he'll get the bulk of his snaps is still a bit of a mystery. He'd be limited in space as a Mac, but the Lightning package could mitigate that because he'd be flanked by a great athlete, potentially the slimmed down mutant version of himself, DeMarvion Overhsown. It could very well be that his position becomes more clear over time and with it Orlando's 2018 defensive identity. 

BLB JR Jeffrey McCulloch, #23, 6-3, 250: Past: He was an edge terror who mixed quickness with strength and striking power. A tad stiff for the modern game at inside linebacker but still with the ability to project there. Present: He showed a lot of promise as a true freshman making 17 solo tackles in limited snaps. On many occasions he showed that knock-back power and maybe even a little more directional twitch than I anticipated. A few plays versus Iowa State still stand out in my mind. His sophomore year was largely wasted as the staff went away from utilizing his position after mistakenly buying into Naashon Hughes. He was also injured towards the end of the season. Future: He's too talented to not play, even if it's a narrow role of rushing the passer. He showed the same traits he did in high school in the spring game and then repped every linebacker position in the off-season. In a starting rotation of three players he appears to be the next man up but he's nursing a minor injury and has true freshmen vying for snaps. 

LB JR Cameron Townsend, #43, 6-1, 215: Past: His best tape was as a sophomore where, for his age, he showed twitch and the potential to be a hybrid Eric Striker type. From there, neither his game or build developed along the lines one would hope to see. Present: He's a naturally lean and muscled player, but not big. That was more of a hindrance early on, now he's down the depth chart and has played very sparingly. Future: After a brief stint at running back he's back a linebacker.

LB JR DeMarco Boyd, #36, 6-0, 240: Past: He's your hometown high school football hero whose ability on that level doesn't translate to college like many inferior high school players in every cycle. Present: He's currently serving an indefinite suspension. Future: It's in doubt and sources are unsure if he'll return to the program.

LB FR Ayodele Adeoye, #40, 6-1, 250: Past: Classic middle linebacker with duties of defending the run first and run second. I termed it, "he'll bang the triangle like Laura Ingalls Wilder calling prairie children to supper." Present: That characterization still sounds apt. He enrolled early and has impressed within the framework of his evaluation. Future: Flank him with guys like Overshown, Foster, and Sterns and you can sacrifice some athleticism as long as he's defending the run very well. He's showing early signs of a multi-year starter at Mac dependent on how Texas recruits the position. 

BLB FR Joseph Ossai, #46, 6-4, 245: Past: Perhaps the Vitruvian Man for Orlando's B-backer fit. Texas missed on K'Lavon after he went Chaisson fame donindatswamp in the previous cycle and couldn't afford to miss on Ossai. Present: He was playing B-backer with the ones in Saturday's scrimmage and really impressed (more on that tomorrow). Along with being a great athletic eval he had a high mental evaluation which he's displaying. Future: The position allows Orlando a lot of flexibility, and Ossai allows Orlando flexibility within that flexibility, though his best asset will be bending the corner and using his length and quickness to chase down quarterbacks. 

BLB FR Byron Vaughns, #50, 6-4, 225: Past: In the past his last name was Hobbs but on Father's Day he gave his stepdad the wonderful gift of taking the last name Vaughns. As a player who was young for his grade he showed uncommon length and athleticism all in an untapped frame, and he showed it in multiple sports. Present: He's definitely in need of a developmental year which was part of the evaluation. The extra lifting session every week will do him wonders. Check tha neck: he's going to fill out just fine. Future: Much will be dependent on development but we've seen what Yancy McKnight can do, so I'm working under the assumption he'll physically maximize. I foresee him as a muscled up condor at B-backer. Because of Ossai and Hobbs the staff only has a passing interest in recruiting the position this cycle. It'll be theirs to share in the coming years.