2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

22 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

when things went south.

What exactly has gone South? Those people just had their expectations too high. Most realistic fans I know thought 7-8 wins was likely. I'm more worried about what's coming up this season and beyond. Some recent recruiting losses have been a bummer, but we'll see how it finishes. I'm now convinced Mehmeh has to be shown out, though, and am 50/50 on Giles. 

Edited by UncleBuck

23 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Some of it has to do with Herman being coronated by a section of the fanbase leading up to his hiring. The ones who proclaimed his greatness seem to have mostly disappeared or turned coat pretty quickly when things went south. The rest of us felt various levels of ripped off. Add to it the Beck fiasco playing like a remake of Strong's Watson boogaloo and it's hard to shut down the cynicism.

Huh? I mean we lost to Kansas in 2016. I am not sure what everybody was expecting in 2017 but I don't think too many of us were feeling ripped off.

I mean it was a frustrating year but frustrating in the normal sort of frustrating we have become accustomed to.

I have not put too much stock into blaming Offensive Coordinator #763. At some point people have accept the fact that that Offensive Line has been horrible for more than a decade and maybe play calling is not the issue.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

Herman is still a pretty young coach, and Texas is a completely different beast than UH. Herman has displayed narcissistic tendencies and hubris but he appears to be learning and evolving, as he should. What is going to be really interesting is to see how he decides to handle any coaching changes if Texas puts together a much better than expected season. 

I'll believe it when I see it. More to the point, if you have to be shaken into change and aren't into constantly looking to improve, once you do have success, you're likely to regress. That's what happened with Mack, for example.

The reason you see guys like Saban and the Purple Wizard do well year after year is that these guys are always looking to see what they can do better, no matter how successful they were before. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

I’m somewhat surprised the fan base has cooled on Herman so quickly. I understand it, and I’m right there with the them, but I’m still surprised given how the Charlie wars went down.

It was obvious to anyone with a brain cell Strong was an idiot and doomed the second he brought over Watson as his OC. Yet if you questioned Strong on shaggy in years 1 or 2 you were labeled as having bitchassedness or being a racist and we’re getting errbody.

Some of us learned from our prior mistakes, and then we saw the new guy making the same mistakes that burned the previous guy. What's there to be surprised about?

18 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Huh? I mean we lost to Kansas in 2016. I am not sure what everybody was expecting in 2017 but I don't think too many of us were feeling ripped off.

I mean it was a frustrating year but frustrating in the normal sort of frustrating we have become accustomed to.

I have not put too much stock into blaming Offensive Coordinator #763. At some point people have accept the fact that that Offensive Line has been horrible for more than a decade.

That, and going into the season with that TE situation didn't help, either. Not excuses, it was just the reality of the situation.

Sure, I hoped for some magic, but it really wasn't realistic to expect much. 

38 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

On what planet does this make sense?

Does anyone ever question closetojumping?  I mean, that sounds like a neat little package and all. I just wonder how much fiction was in that nugget from Surly’s resident pompous windbag. Can’t wait for his standard, Pavlovian “humorless unoriginal” response. 

CTJ gets questioned all the time. But he is actually capable of defending his points of view somewhat intelligently. Also, there's a difference between questioning him and finding reasonable doubt in his POV, and the sort of unintelligible keyboard-mashing you exclusively engage in.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I have not put too much stock into blaming Offensive Coordinator #763. At some point people have accept the fact that that Offensive Line has been horrible for more than a decade and maybe play calling is not the issue.

These two things aren't mutually exclusive. It's not the case that we either have a shitty OC or we have a shitty OL. We could have both, you know.

I mean, we won our most recent MNC with a pretty bad OC. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

The reason you see guys like Saban ... do well year after year is that these guys are always looking to see what they can do better, no matter how successful they were before. 

Fuck Saban - he had the same record in his first season at 'Bama that MensaTom had here. 

Now... if MensaTom matches year two, we're all good.

19 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

CTJ gets questioned all the time. But he is actually capable of defending his points of view somewhat intelligently. Also, there's a difference between questioning him and finding reasonable doubt in his POV, and the sort of unintelligible keyboard-mashing you typically engage in.

Oh, a defender. Interesting time to accuse someone of keyboard-mashing after you explosive diarrhea’ed this page. 

9 hours ago, Jack Wilson said:

Yeah, and let's face it: That's a pretty average bunch. It's last year all over again, with a better LT (not counting Williams, of course). We're hanging our hat on another year in the system and in the weightroom and better coaching. I can see a 20% improvement, but not a whole lot more, and that ain't much. Hope I'm wrong. 

I don't see this year's OL as a repeat of last year. They're not world beaters, but they're also not Cuney/McMillon being coached by Warehime. 

I've rewatched all our offensive plays against K-State and those two guys getting consistently beat were the biggest issues with our run game. 

14 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Oh, a defender. Interesting time to accuse someone of keyboard-mashing after you explosive diarrhea’ed this page. 

Arguing about it isn't going to change things. Accept it and move on, but mostly, shut your pie-hole about it and get back to football talk.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Oh dear. A poster who is a blend of snail snot and fecal matter somehow given form and the ability to type doesn't like my opinion. Oh dear. I don't know if I can live with myself. I might feel bad or something. Oh my. Is... is that a tear forming at the corner of my eye? Am I shaking from fear, or did I simply have too much coffee?

Oh dear.

1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

On what planet does this make sense?

Does anyone ever question closetojumping?  I mean, that sounds like a neat little package and all. I just wonder how much fiction was in that nugget from Surly’s resident pompous windbag. Can’t wait for his standard, Pavlovian “humorless unoriginal” response. 

To be fair, while you are frequently amusing in an Eyeore-on-a-bender kind of way, it's all recycled.

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This thread today is really starting to encapsulate what the football board was all about on the previous website. There's no place like home.

Welcome home. We put out the curtain fire with house plant water and a little piss. Oh, and someone shit in the bathtub. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

It's not the case that we either have a shitty OC or we have a shitty OL. We could have both, you know.

That worries me, but that deck was stacked pretty heavily against the offense last year with not just the OL, but the TEs. I'd have liked to have seen more creativity (positive creativity), but there was no way they were going to be able to do anything close to what they want to do with their offense with that group as a whole. So I can hang back a bit on any final judgement until this year. This is a big one. 

Edited by UncleBuck

44 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

These two things aren't mutually exclusive. It's not the case that we either have a shitty OC or we have a shitty OL. We could have both, you know.

I mean, we won our most recent MNC with a pretty bad OC. 

Well we have gone through numerous OCs and they have all gotten bad results. Surely all of them cannot be shitty. Besides I have been a Texas fan for decades and not once in all of that time has the OC ever been judged non-shitty. Our offense has generally been good when we could control the line of scrimmage and shitty when we could not.

I mean we don't need Don Coryell to win if we have the personnel situation managed, as you point out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

That worries me, but that deck was stacked pretty heavily against the offense last year with not just the OL, but the TEs. I'd have liked to have seen more creativity (positive creativity), but there was no way they were going to be able to do anything close to what they want to do with their offense with that group as a whole. So I can hang back a bit on any final judgement until this year. This is a big one. 

During Chuck's tenure somebody on Shaggy informed me that you can usually tell a coach by his second year and proceeded to produce data that proved that point pretty persuasively. So I agree, this year is the big one.

Edited by Valmy77

22 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Not having the talent to do what you want to do on offense isn’t carte blanche to use that talent stupidly, ask that talent to do what it cannot and or fail to adjust your preferred method for the method that best works. 

The question isn’t why didn’t the offensive staff do well. No one expected the 2005 offenseive production. It’s looking at the game and asking WTF are they thinking asking certain players to do that again when it’s failed every time it’s tried. Or calling plays irrespective of the personnel on the field. Or admitting that they don’t know who’s on the field. 

I didnt and dont expect every play to work. I do expect to look at most plays and think the concept is defensible and we just dorked up the execution most of the time. 

And it bacame apparent as the year went on that our toolbox was limited, but that some things were executed reasonably well when compared to others, and still we refused to feature and build constraint off those things. Grab baggish playcalling is something the UT fan base is all too well aware of when we see it. And we saw it. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

During Chuck's tenure somebody on Shaggy informed me that you can usually tell a coach by his second year and proceeded to produce data that proved that point pretty persuasively. So I agree, this year is the big one.

Yah, the arrow needs to trend up on the offense this year. The OL is still ehhh, but that's why they brought in Hand, and Calvin Anderson. It should improve enough, along with a full stable of TEs, to where you can start showing some direction of this offense, and some improvement. They were just throwing shit up against the wall last year with that group. It was tough to watch.

32 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

To be fair, while you are frequently amusing in an Eyeore-on-a-bender kind of way, it's all recycled.

Thanks pal. Rimbo, type longer responses. 

Back to ball, he might be dead on with Mehringer. Just seems very conspiratorial just like a lot of his Herman posts. Is it possible CJ didn’t have a good season and KM wasn’t the best fit for WR corps, and that’s the extent of it?

17 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Not having the talent to do what you want to do on offense isn’t carte blanche to use that talent stupidly, ask that talent to do what it cannot and or fail to adjust your preferred method for the method that best works. 

The question isn’t why didn’t the offensive staff do well. No one expected the 2005 offenseive production. It’s looking at the game and asking WTF are they thinking asking certain players to do that again when it’s failed every time it’s tried. Or calling plays irrespective of the personnel on the field. Or admitting that they don’t know who’s on the field. 

I didnt and dont expect every play to work. I do expect to look at most plays and think the concept is defensible and we just dorked up the execution most of the time. 

And it bacame apparent as the year went on that our toolbox was limited, but that some things were executed reasonably well when compared to others, and still we refused to feature and built constraint off those things. Grab baggish playcalling is something the UT fan base is all too well aware of when we see it. And we saw it. 

This wasn't just a case of "not having the talent", they literally didn't even have a whole POSITION that they needed/want on the field in TE. They just hoped Gray could block ok and didn't rely on Brewer too much, he didn't seem too ready.

Your mistakes are going to show up bigger and more often when you're that limited. 

It doesn't excuse the mistakes, they happened. I can just give a bit on based on what they had to work with, or didn't have. 

I remember that post. He was called an idiot by the apologists (about half the board at the time). Evidence is no match for koolaid.

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

PJ Fleck would probably be in the mix if Herman finds himself on the hot seat exiting the year.

I used to get so pissed but now I just laugh when I see what you post.  It's pretty entertaining.  

Edited by stork642
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I remember that post. He was called an idiot by the apologists (about half the board at the time). Evidence is no match for koolaid.

I also remember after Shawn Watson's first year including Arky bowl game debacle saying that the OL was so bad that Watson deserves a pass and that it was impossible to make a judgment on his performance.  Good times, good times.

14 minutes ago, horngasm said:

I don't buy the excuse that the horrific play calling last season was due to the inexperience or lack of depth OL. 

And I would bet money on the fact it will show this year.

I am no football expert but I do not have much confidence that you guys actually know what 'horrific play calling' looks like. Again we are going on decades now where that has been the reason the offense has not been dominant every year. If that was actually the reason surely at some point the play calling would just be adequate or mediocre but there were other problems. But Beck might indeed suck. I don't know.

But I am skeptical that every single non-dominant offense just needs to call different plays.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

But I am skeptical that every single non-dominant offense just needs to call different plays.

Well, sure... But Beck and Watson have demonstrable tendencies towards underperformance. So, you know, sometimes that pathetic thing that looks like a mongoloid duck with no feathers and a gimpy leg really is just exactly what it looks like.

21 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I am no football expert but I do not have much confidence that you guys actually know what 'horrific play calling' looks like. Again we are going on decades now where that has been the reason the offense has not been dominant every year. If that was actually the reason surely at some point the play calling would just be adequate or mediocre but there were other problems. But Beck might indeed suck. I don't know.

To be fair, the playcalling WAS pretty horrific at times. But again, that wasn't the full-blown offensive system these guys plan on running.  That was some Frankenstein offense of all sorts of different parts trying to get creative with what they had a lot of the time, after abandoning what they really wanted to do because, well, they didn't have the talent to do it. I wanna see how things are ran within the actual offense. We'll have a better idea this season. 

There are reasons to be concerned, obviously.

48 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

^^^^ this right here.

There are really only seven plays in football:  inside run; off-tackle run; sweep; misdirection (counter, boot, reverse); play action pass; roll out pass; drop back pass. Everything else (formation, personnel groupings, blocking scheme, option plays, RPO, route combos) is window dressing. If your talent on O is greater than the talent on the opposing D, the less window dressing you need. Bama beats most teams because they overpower them with talent. Same with Clemson. Same with OhState. Same with the 2006 NC team for us.

Texas should always have enough talent to beat nine/ten of the teams on its schedule without "window dressing." It has not been in that position lately.   

Edited by Jacob McCandles
typos
  • Like 3