San Antonio

TexasHooch

31 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

I stopped here on Friday because I was close to the area. It is in same parking lot as Maars Pizza.

Didn’t go with the burrito but did go with the brisket grilled cheese. It was very solid but also was $20.

Menu seems to be full of things I would consider specials and not very many staples. Can’t a man get a basic brisket sammmich for lunch these days ?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxQcLSOOaD4/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

eb57cbd6e948da303cf879447dd6d3af.jpg

Also... not too far from this place is Dee Willies BBQ. It's not terrible. It's not in the class of 2M or Reese or Pinkerton, but you could do worse in a pinch.

I have been seeing this place pop up on Instagram for almost a year now. I was telling deadshank I almost asked if any of you Alamo city folks had tried it. The reviews are pretty good. Some of the pictures on google aren’t that appealing, but on IG that rib burrito looks great.

“WHATS UP SAN ANTONIO, ITS YOUR BOY EATMIGOS TRYING OUT THE BEEF RIB BURRITO. BE SURE TO PULL UP!”

That guy?

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Also... not too far from this place is Dee Willies BBQ. It's not terrible. It's not in the class of 2M or Reese or Pinkerton, but you could do worse in a pinch.

Mitch is it better or worse than say a good Rudy’s? That’s about the level I consider Two Bros to be at this point based on my last few experiences.

Also I think I learned on this thread that the Rudys in Selma is not corporate or something and that’s why it always sucks.

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Anyone else a fan of Blanco BBQ? To me I think it’s the best in the city but I’ve never been to pinkerton’s, Reese, or 2M in fairness.

The one time I had it, it was inedible. The brisket was like beef jerky 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The last one I got at Pinkertons, I think I had to take out a second mortgage to pay for it. It's something like $30/lb (not per rib), and usually what, around 2.5 lbs? And most of that weight is the rib and not the meat.

Oh I didn’t realize they priced it per rib not per lb at that food truck. That’s more reasonable in an unreasonable world.

17 hours ago, Helobious said:

Anyone else a fan of Blanco BBQ? To me I think it’s the best in the city but I’ve never been to pinkerton’s, Reese, or 2M in fairness.

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

the pics online are...not great. this is from their FB (who uses wheat bread???)

image.png.d981cb4ba2006c8e701883273e0aa45b.png

image.thumb.png.ea0a722c5e9f5f245014f5b7abf1e497.png

Mike Sutter went there for his 52 weeks of BBQ and this is what he had to say:

Grand champion: Sides should never overshadow the meat, but the beans do here. And let’s talk about Blanco BBQ’s beans: So packed with meat, onions and peppers that the pintos were happy to take a back seat.

The trinity: Brisket is the best of the big three at Blanco ($15.49 a pound, $10.99 for a plate with two sides), but the lean’s all blond on blond and the fat’s a lighter shade of pale. Only the bark on an unsliced half-pound showed some color, but it was more like what you’d expect on roast beast than pit brisket.

Spoiler

The pork ribs came up short, all flossy at the edges, with yellowed fat on the underside and flesh gone haggard and drooping on the bone, with a leathery and underseasoned bark ($19.99 for a half rack, $12.49 for a plate with two sides).

More from the pit: It’s satisfying to know that even at a place like Blanco BBQ, Texans are adopting Carolina pulled pork ($13.99 a pound). But not when it’s as oversauced and sweet as a sloppy Joe.

With its brown-and-bronze outer armor, the chicken cut a striking figure ($7.99 with two sides). But that armor was as soft and mushy as the meat underneath.

Blanco tries hard with turkey ($13.99 a pound) and ham ($12.99), both cut thick, both with some color on the rind — and both relying way too much on salt for flavor.

Sides: Blanco does solid work with thick mac and cheese with elbow mac and curly cavatappi pasta and with creamed corn that’s as sweet as banana pudding. Between the blanched and boring potato salad and the sweet, creamy cole slaw, I’ll take the slaw every time.

Onion rings are rare enough at a barbecue place; good hand-breaded ones like these even more so. Small sides cost $1.79, except for the creamed corn at $2.49.

Sauce: Black pepper, sugar, vinegar, tomatoes. It’s the classic red stuff in squeeze bottles the size of mortar tubes. Apply liberally.

Mavericks: In a world where some barbecue shops make you beg for the basic onions and pickles, Blanco BBQ goes full out with barbecue’s answer to a salsa bar. Onion and herb escabeche, sweet pickled carrots, whole jalapeños, dill pickles, hot pickles, fresh pico de gallo, lemons, limes. Everything you need to cut the fat and wake up the flavors.

And barbecue like this could use a wakeup call.

San Antonio has 2 spots in the top 50 (2M and Pinkertons, Reese hadn't opened yet) and 2 more honorable mentions in Smoke Shack and South BBQ.

go eat better BBQ its easy to get these days and SA has some fantastic options even if you don't like the super trinity traditional.

edit: 2M has been open for 7 years and change. go eat there. no offense but if you live in SA and haven't found time to get there once in 7 years you shouldn't say shit about BBQ in San Antonio.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Helobious said:

God bless you for being you, man. 

17 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Mitch is it better or worse than say a good Rudy’s? That’s about the level I consider Two Bros to be at this point based on my last few experiences.

It's probably on par, maybe a notch below Rudy's. I only ate there once maybe two years ago, so it's difficult to remember. I do know that I cleaned my plate but I wasn't blown away with it. Again, the quality isn't close to Reese, 2M or Pinkerton, but if you're in the neighborhood you could have a worse lunch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/10/2023 at 10:55 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

God bless you for being you, man. 

It's probably on par, maybe a notch below Rudy's. I only ate there once maybe two years ago, so it's difficult to remember. I do know that I cleaned my plate but I wasn't blown away with it. Again, the quality isn't close to Reese, 2M or Pinkerton, but if you're in the neighborhood you could have a worse lunch.

I’m nearby there for work pretty often but have always been hesitant especially after seeing that they share space with the place from Bar Rescue that looks awful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Masshole Horn said:

After the game I went to QuickTrip in Schertz. Got a coffee.

Before the game, I stopped in a bakery southeast of the Alamodome and got their barbacoa combo... 1# of barbacoa, 1 doz flour tortillas, salsa, and onions/cilantro. It was a bargain, we got 2 meals out of it.

those 1lb barbacoa deals slam and go hard in the paint 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/8/2023 at 7:50 PM, Texzilla58 said:

5e10add1545c218be015ac16217ddbc3.jpg

Anyone remember this place? It’s from the 70’s, saw it on Reddit and it brought memories of similar places elsewhere, when Mexican food was a simpler thing.

That's where bee's is now which has been in that location since at least the 1980s I believe. I've eaten there about a million times. 

Heading to the Alamodome for HS football. Where should we eat afterwards?

Sorry for being late to respond. Mark’s Outing is down the street from Alamodome and has some great burgers. They are a little slow, so don’t be in a rush like I was last time I went to Alamodome.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Helobious said:

By that logic why ever try a different food then. Just keep everything you eat the same.

Naw thats lame. I just fear that if I get a picadillo taco and a carne guisda taco one is gonna go harder than the other and I'm stuck wanting one over the other.  Then my day is fucked because of indecision that could have been avoided if I'd have just gotten the same taco. 

15 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I'll be moving to SA from El Paso, I'll check out taco house, is it cows cheek or shredded brisket?  Also, where can one find legit tacos buche and tripita? 

Don’t know.  Never had it there.  I suppose it’s off the head.  Little old lady behind me in line says she crashes the joint every Saturday for the barbacoa.  By the looks of her it is prolly off the head.