San Antonio

TexasHooch

• 2 weeks later...

Need an update.   Are there any decent places to eat around here?  Spending the remainder of the summer in SA.  My sister-in-law who has lived here forever is 0 for 2 picking take-out places and I am 1 for 1.  I walked down the hill and took a chance on Taqueira Datapoint and wow! I waited so long I thought they might be actually making the food fresh and the enchiladas were very tasty. 

Sister in law picked Bill Miller - brisket? yuck...but tea still good, and some place with a Bear in its name..pretty bad.  

You guys know that old saying "Good enough to make you want to slap your mama"?  Well so far this experience is making me come up with another expression, "bad enough to make me wish I had started a restaurant after working 8.5 years at Luby's Cafeteria in Mgmt". 

Btw, Luby's was where I heard that expression, in 1992.

Mr. Wayne Shirley might be close to dead by now, but he was one hell of a training director back in the day. 

Slick too.  He could sell. 

On 6/17/2023 at 10:58 PM, JGrayDBU said:

Need an update.   Are there any decent places to eat around here?  Spending the remainder of the summer in SA.  My sister-in-law who has lived here forever is 0 for 2 picking take-out places and I am 1 for 1.  I walked down the hill and took a chance on Taqueira Datapoint and wow! I waited so long I thought they might be actually making the food fresh and the enchiladas were very tasty. 

Sister in law picked Bill Miller - brisket? yuck...but tea still good, and some place with a Bear in its name..pretty bad.  

You guys know that old saying "Good enough to make you want to slap your mama"?  Well so far this experience is making me come up with another expression, "bad enough to make me wish I had started a restaurant after working 8.5 years at Luby's Cafeteria in Mgmt". 

Mr. Wayne Shirley might be close to dead by now, but he was one hell of a training director back in the day. 

You went to a fast food bbq restaurant and what was probably Black Bear Diner which is a California chain. You sound like Helobious.

Have you considered Cheddars, Chilis or Applebees?

On 6/17/2023 at 9:58 PM, JGrayDBU said:
 I walked down the hill and took a chance on Taqueira Datapoint and wow! I waited so long I thought they might be actually making the food fresh and the enchiladas were very tasty.

I live in one of the neighborhoods next to the Taqueria Datapoint Dezavala.  It's quite good and kind of a SA institution.  The late-30's waitress with all the gang tats is kind of hot. 
Depends what you want to eat.   If you need some craft beers the Dooryard in the same center has some good beer.  Lastly across the street in the Exxon is a Nepalese dumpling house called Momo.  Surprisingly excellent.  Definitely get the spicy
Ginos Deli is 5 mins. Its something like the 4th highest rated restaurant in Texas on yelp or some crazy stat like that

@JGrayDBU

Edited by midtown

On 6/18/2023 at 10:03 PM, NoRagrets said:

This place just opened and it is great, non tex-Mex.

https://palomarcomida.com/

I ate there yesterday. It's where El Bosque used to be on West Avenue. I probably ate at El Bosque a million trillion times growing up. Palomar was pretty damn good. I don't know if I'd necessarily call it non Tex-Mex, though. It's a little more upscale and pricey than your typical SA  joint, but still Tex-Mex overall. They have plenty of non Tex-Mex items, but you can still knock out a plate of enchiladas, crispy taco, rice y beans.

Also, there is a new Mexican food joint just down West Avenue where the old Boston Subworks used to be. I tried it a few weeks back and it was pretty solid as well. They also put a Nichas where the old Taco Flats used to be but I haven't tried it yet. That's a pretty solid 1-2-3 stretch of Mexican food joints within a few blocks of each other. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 6/17/2023 at 9:58 PM, JGrayDBU said:

If you ever venture to Bill Miller's again, the sweet tea, breffis tacos and fried chicken should be the only things you order. Leave the bbq to Reese Bros and Pinkertons. Although, the two chop bbq sammich special slams and goes a long way when nursing a hangover.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, miguelito said:

I still haven't tried Burger Boy, but I was looking through some yelp pictures, and maybe I need to.  Looks juicy.

o.jpg

That dude needs to fix his plumber’s butt and stop painting his nails.

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2023 at 7:47 AM, LebongJames said:

You went to a fast food bbq restaurant and what was probably Black Bear Diner which is a California chain. You sound like Helobious.

Have you considered Cheddars, Chilis or Applebees?

ha! Those were my sister-in-law's choices..not mine. In fact those were both brought to me...two sisters picking places.

On 6/27/2023 at 9:08 AM, midtown said:

I live in one of the neighborhoods next to the Taqueria Datapoint Dezavala.  It's quite good and kind of a SA institution.  The late-30's waitress with all the gang tats is kind of hot. 
Depends what you want to eat.   If you need some craft beers the Dooryard in the same center has some good beer.  Lastly across the street in the Exxon is a Nepalese dumpling house called Momo.  Surprisingly excellent.  Definitely get the spicy
Ginos Deli is 5 mins. Its something like the 4th highest rated restaurant in Texas on yelp or some crazy stat like that

@JGrayDBU

As I sat there waiting for my order I was struck with how hot all of the waitresses were.  

34 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Which place are you talking about?  Gino's (great lunch spot) certainly doesn't have waitresses.

Taqueria Datapoint.  Moved to Dezavala when they had the fire from their original location.  The googles tells me they reopened in the med ctr

Edited by midtown

Well, boys. It's time we pack up our Southtown loft and move out to the Dominion. Sellers are leaving it furnished, so if you or anyone in the area needs some of our current furniture (sectional, armchairs, small dining room table), shoot me a PM. 

In the meantime, looking for recommendations for good, obscure eats out that direction. Will miss the walkability of being downtown but no doubt there's good stuff around. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 6/28/2023 at 6:03 PM, midtown said:

Taqueria Datapoint.  Moved to Dezavala when they had the fire from their original location.  The googles tells me they reopened in the med ctr

check it out, no pics, but their blouses and pants fit very well, not too tight just right. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I'll tell you boys what, there is no greater privilege than being close to an HEB after 11 years in DFW. I got a taste when they opened up the one in Plano but it was still a 40 min drive one way from my house. Now, it's 4 minutes. 

Fuck Kroger and Tom Thumb. That is all.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

I'll tell you boys what, there is no greater privilege than being close to an HEB after 11 years in DFW. I got a taste when they opened up the one in Plano but it was still a 40 min drive one way from my house. Now, it's 4 minutes. 

Fuck Kroger and Tom Thumb. That is all.

agree with this.  The wife's apartment is a four minute drive from HEB, but the last couple of days I have been putting on the backpack, hiking to HEB and coming back with a small amount of groceries.  The smell of HEB in the morning is out-of-this-world.  The bakery is strategically located as you enter the building.  ooh, ahhh, impressive. 

3 hours ago, JGrayDBU said:

agree with this.  The wife's apartment is a four minute drive from HEB, but the last couple of days I have been putting on the backpack, hiking to HEB and coming back with a small amount of groceries.  The smell of HEB in the morning is out-of-this-world.  The bakery is strategically located as you enter the building.  ooh, ahhh, impressive. 

How far from HEB is YOUR apartment?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JGrayDBU said:

Okay, I'll bite. Why does your wife have an apartment that isn't also yours? 

30 minutes ago, elfenix said:

anything way the fuck out in converse?  a friend just moved back to texas after 20 years elsewhere and is in a new development north of 10 east of 1604.  looks like the middle of goddamn nowhere. 

the Whataburger i10/1604 is solid 

burnt bean in sequin on the way there 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, elfenix said:

anything way the fuck out in converse?  a friend just moved back to texas after 20 years elsewhere and is in a new development north of 10 east of 1604.  looks like the middle of goddamn nowhere. 

El Sabrosito Mexican Restaurant

9141 Farm to Market 1516, Converse, TX 78109

Buddy of mine in Converse swears by this place.  It is legit last time I was there 10 years ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Got into SA a few hours ago. Don’t care what you think but this shit always hits. Staying in stone oak, any great menudo recs up here? I am gonna need it 

71055091858__1EEEC1F2-A8B3-443F-8FAE-43B0526E1FCB.jpeg

IMG_5930.jpeg

Frida & Aldacos are pretty good Mexican restaurants around there. More Mex than Tex for sure. Don Adolfo’s has a good bar and food. 

I’ve actually never liked menudo at all so can’t give you any good recs for that. I’ll have to mail back my Mexican card. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/28/2023 at 6:03 PM, midtown said:

Went last night with the family. Even though it was 200 degrees outside I had caldo de res, others ordered a couple tortas and gorditas. That shit went so hard and yes the waitresses are very much in my wheelhouse I love a Latina with a shitty blonde dye job. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Going to drop some recs:

A buddy of mine opened Leche De Tigre that’s a Peruvian Cebicheria - fantastic.

Another friend opened a spot called Queso Pan y Vino that is LEGIT. He also has a cigar shop, patio and bar called Backroom Bar. Across the street he’s got Taqueria Los Cuates (he’s got twin boys). Only sell pastor and they’re great.

Lucy’s Cafe off West Ave/i10 is a great little hole in the wall Mexican food spot. Really great prices too.  A couple doors down in the same shopping center is La Popular (panadería). Get some tacos or huevos rancheros in the morning and get some pan dulce for when you get home. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 10:45 AM, Helobious said:

Taquitos West ave is damn good, no puffy tacos though. If you want puffy tacos I would go to Ray’s Drive-in, if you aren’t scared of the hood.

Wedding I went to tonight had them out there making two types of taquitos on their portable cooker.  First time trying them.  Damn good.  I'm definitely going to take the family over to eat in house. 

Today I learned there is more than one SA thread. Cool. 

Anyway, my Southtown loft got listed today. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in seeing pics around the Lone Star district/San Pedro Creek projects before they're completed.