San Antonio

TexasHooch

22 hours ago, Helobious said:

Is this when we have to pretend like the best CFS in SA isn’t at Texas Roadhouse? Not a huge fan of the rest of the menu but the quality of that one dish is unreal. 

this may be the most Helobious post that Helobious has ever made.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 3/13/2024 at 9:00 AM, Helobious said:

Is this when we have to pretend like the best CFS in SA isn’t at Texas Roadhouse? Not a huge fan of the rest of the menu but the quality of that one dish is unreal. 

try the fried catfish 

On 3/16/2024 at 3:38 PM, deft said:

Finally made it to Rolando’s. Devoured the crispy before the pic.
4e39906ecf68919e0f7763d309c4ec70.jpg

I see two Rolando’s Super Tacos location.  One north of I-10 and one in south San Antonio. 

Are they the same quality and atmosphere?   The south SA locale would be best for me when going to deer camp.  

Or is there more than 1 Rolando slinging Tex Mex in SA?

Do tell. 

On 3/14/2024 at 7:17 AM, NoName said:

this may be the most Helobious post that Helobious has ever made.

giphy.gif

What until you hear his take on Panda Express versus any local Chinese places. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/14/2024 at 7:06 PM, Hate said:

The CFS at Alamo Cafe used to be terrific. Of course, that was 30 years ago. I have no idea if it still is.

Good Time Charlie’s is my go-to for CFS in SA now.  Used to be Mama’s Hoffbrau.  Josephine St. has a pretty good one iirc.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

Phoenix cafe is the best Chinese place in SA and nothing else comes close. Nice try 

No.

I don’t know if the best but Royal Inn near MedCenter and Chin San over on Naco both slam and go hard for standard takeout Chinese.

8 hours ago, Cajun said:

Good Time Charlie’s is my go-to for CFS in SA now.  Used to be Mama’s Hoffbrau.  Josephine St. has a pretty good one iirc.

The very mention of Mama's Hofbrau pains me.  What I wouldn't give to get crocked on a full yard of Fuller's ESB in the old location again.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Hisu Yu was always my go to back in the day, but I haven't found anything near 09 that is nearly as good since she closed. 

@Helobious I looked up the reviews for Phoenix and it looks like it's under new management and has gone to shit.

Gotdamn I miss Hsiu Yu.  Loved everything there and had to have my once a week fix.

Best iced tea in SA too.

Mencius out near the Med Center has always been very good.  

Their other place, Formosa Garden, in 09 used to be good, but last few times I've been it was fairly meh.

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

What was the Chinese place on Fredricksburg that was an SA staple?

and when did Rolando’s move from Broadway??

Mencius, I believe.  Amazing timing on our posts if that's the one you meant.

Image 3-18-24 at 6.56 PM.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, After irth said:

The very mention of Mama's Hofbrau pains me.  What I wouldn't give to get crocked on a full yard of Fuller's ESB in the old location again.  

And a fried mushroom basket with gravy and ranch to dip them in.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Gotdamn I miss Hsiu Yu.  Loved everything there and had to have my once a week fix.

Best iced tea in SA too.

Yep. Hsiu was so damn cool too. She did all the math on the bill by hand until the very end and God knows how old she was.  The last few times I went before they closed she wouldn’t let me pay and just thanked me for being such a loyal customer. 

Formosa Garden is meh but has become my default since Hsiu closed. I’d definitely like to upgrade but there’s just not many options over here for Chinese. 

@Hate are you talking about lai wah? It’s closed but it was outside loop near Callaghan. It was good.  Maybe you’re thinking of fujiya sushi on Fred. That place was classic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ah, yes, Lai Wah was some good shit.  Forgot about that place, but I do think they were on Fred not far from Loop 410 (On the outside).

edit ~ Holy shit, it’s still there and open ——>

IMG_2643.png

Edited by Cajun

On Northwest side

New Asia is hands down best sesame chicken/beef bandera and Eckert 

Sizzling Wok off huebner for stir fry type stuff.

@Cajun I second Mencius, solid food great pan fried dumplings. 

Thai hut also pretty solid on noodle dishes.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Cajun said:

My go to CFS has been Tip Top Cafe. I think on Tuesday's they have a CFS special. That place is old school from scratch cooking and so good, but it's been a while. 

You can't go wrong with Good Time Charlie's or Josephine St., either. 

15 minutes ago, DToro said:

My go to CFS has been Tip Top Cafe. I think on Tuesday's they have a CFS special. That place is old school from scratch cooking and so good, but it's been a while. 

You can't go wrong with Good Time Charlie's or Josephine St., either. 

Good old Deweese’sTipTop, where old waitresses go to die.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Cajun said:

And a fried mushroom basket with gravy and ranch to dip them in.

You're absolutely right.  Was totally mandatory. 

I never realized what a fixture I was there until the bartender said, "Where were you last Friday?"  That's when I figured my Friday-Night-Regular status had already been established.  Whether alone, with a girlfriend, or gathering a group of friends/coworkers, the Hofbrau on Friday was religion to me.  

On a mushroom-related front:  I remember the two best places for fried mushrooms being right next to each other.  Completely different style, though, but the ones at Maggie's were pretty damn good, too.  Was my place for vetting dates back in the day.  Couldn't take just any random skank to Hofbrau, ya know?

• Hook 'Em 3

Mama’s Hofbrau and Mama’s were my go to’s for CFS and fried mushrooms. It pains me to order fried mushrooms anywhere other than in SA because there is a pretty good chance they won’t have cream gravy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It’s been awhile since I’ve been to Tip Top. It used to be in heavy rotation   A few years ago they got bought out and it isn’t the same. Same menu but the food just isn’t very  good. There used to be a line out the door every day for lunch now you can stroll right in. Or at least that’s how it was last time I went.

And Maggies… they may have been the first place In SA to have cheese sticks. So many nights in Maggies drinking underage  

They redid the Mamas on Nacogdoches just outside the loop a couple of years ago. Food is pretty good but damn it got pricey. The original on San Pedro was such a classic. I watched the OJ verdict there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2024 at 10:43 AM, Cajun said:

The Guisadilla at Rolando's this morning.  I hate myself-

IMG_4198.jpeg

IMG_4199.jpeg

God damn. The last time I ate one of these was in 2009. I remember saying something about the taco being a slice of heaven but one shouldn't eat these more than a dozen times in their life.

I never ate one again because I like having clean heart valves. But they are amazing and I expect them to exist in heaven.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/18/2024 at 2:53 PM, hobbes2702 said:

I don’t know if the best but Royal Inn near MedCenter and Chin San over on Naco both slam and go hard for standard takeout Chinese.

That place is a roach motel. Nasty place.

On 3/18/2024 at 7:49 PM, Cajun said:

Ah, yes, Lai Wah was some good shit.  Forgot about that place, but I do think they were on Fred not far from Loop 410 (On the outside).

edit ~ Holy shit, it’s still there and open ——>

IMG_2643.png

76a46102-c9c8-46f5-901e-5da6215d9aa2_tex