Who are your top 3 realistic choices to replace Herman?

Beau Vine

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Or money-whip Chris Peterson, or try and convince Bryan Harsin to come back to Austin.

I don't see Chris Peterson leaving Washington for Texas, especially if we've fired another coach after a tenure of three years (or less with all the talk about shitcanning Herman this year).  Unfair or not, we'll get a bad perception, and I'm not sure Peterson would want to leave a pretty nice gig and home feel of the Northwest for Austin. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

you've never heard of Ryan Day before now, I take it

Not really. Is he somebody that would be ready -- and capable -- of taking over the tOSU job on a full-time basis if the situation was bad enough the Buckeyes had to fire Urban last month?

23 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

It's crazy with all of these realistic proven options out there that we ended up Strong and Herman.  Either our definition of realistic is off, or the administration at UT is incredibly stupid. 

whynotbothgif

you can blame Steve Patterson and Kansas.  If Charlie beat Kansas we might have kept him one more year and possibly had a real AD at the helm when we would have eventually fired him the following year.  BMD's got spun up and said "this is a shitshow, fucking  get Herman"(who had Mack seal of approval).

I think the next coach (if reasonably unproven) needs to have served (in any manner, including time as a GA) under multiple great football minds. This seems obvious, but you'd be surprised at how many head coach hires don't fit this bill. Saban was a coach under (most notably) Don James, Earle Bruce, and Belichick. Urban served under Earle Bruce and Sonny Lubick. Kirby Smart served under Bobby Bowden, Mark Richt, and Saban. When I look at potential candidates, two that fit this bill come to mind: Brent Venables and Mel Tucker. Venables has served under Bill Snyder, Stoops, and now Dabo. Mel Tucker has served under Saban, Jim Tressel and now Kirby. 
Looking at past great hires by other programs, this holds. Pete Carroll served under Lou Holtz and Bruce. Bob Stoops served under Hayden Fry, Snyder, and Steve Spurrier. Mark Dantonio served under Bruce, Tressel, and Saban. Lincoln Riley served under Mike Leach and Stoops. Jimbo served under Saban and Bobby Bowden. Les Miles served under Schembechler and Bill McCartney.
Of course this prerequisite doesn't always mean a coach will pan out. Charlie served under Lou Holtz and Urban Meyer. Weis served under Parcells and Belichick.
Sometimes, a guy who pans out never served under anyone notable. Such coaches are Gary Patterson, James Franklin, and Mack Brown.
The only notable coach Herman served under is Urban Meyer. I'm thinking we should stay away from the Urban Meyer tree from now on.

Great post

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

especially if we've fired another coach after a tenure of three years (or less with all the talk about shitcanning Herman this year)

There could be a little something to this, but if you're a coach of a successful power 5 school, you have quite a bit of confidence in your abilities to run a program and probably carry around a bit of an ego, so you're gunna think -no- know that you're gunna have that program running fine in less than three years... especially if some of these good recruits hang on.

I would be for Carroll because he has actually done more than the one and done.  In 8 years he won 2 MNCs and lost 1, had 7 top 4 finishes, had a 34 game win streak, won the PAC 7 of the 8 years.  Interesting, his original contract in 2000 was 5 years, 1M/yr  

So basically there's 3 guys still around who have won more than once and Carroll seems like he would be the most attainable.  Of the longer list of guys who have only won 1, Dabo is probably the most attractive name on the list, though if he stays at Clemson for a long time I think smart will pass him up with wins down the road. 

I’m a huge Peterson fan, and I didn’t think there was any way he would leave Washington, but maybe, now that we actually have an AD who isn’t a complete dick, he would listen. I’m not sure anyone has won more with less but I might be wrong. He can outcoach anyone, and with the talent he could pull here it would be devastating for the rest of the Big 12. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

I would be for Carroll because he has actually done more than the one and done.  In 8 years he won 2 MNCs and lost 1, had 7 top 4 finishes, had a 34 game win streak, won the PAC 7 of the 8 years.  Interesting, his original contract in 2000 was 5 years, 1M/yr  

So basically there's 3 guys still around who have won more than once and Carroll seems like he would be the most attainable.  Of the longer list of guys who have only won 1, Dabo is probably the most attractive name on the list, though if he stays at Clemson for a long time I think smart will pass him up with wins down the road. 

Just wonder how much Pete has left in the tank. He may indeed be receptive to coming back to college. We know he knows how to play the game with the best of them at that level. I could see him as a realistic impact choice, and I’m guessing he would listen. After all, he is one of the few that realizes first hand just what we can be.

1 minute ago, Wishbone said:

Just wonder how much Pete has left in the tank. He may indeed be receptive to coming back to college. We know he knows how to play the game with the best of them at that level. I could see him as a realistic impact choice, and I’m guessing he would listen. After all, he is one of the few that realizes first hand just what we can be.

I mean,, if he does what he does then 4 or 5 years would be great setting it up for the next guy.

It would be easier to lure a top hire if the roster is stacked and the team is winning at a high level than to a shitty squad that has a couple transition classes still lingering on the depth chart.  Plus it's should be easier to raise the expected salary boost for a top hire when profits are up and boosters are excited. 

9 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

I mean,, if he does what he does then 4 or 5 years would be great setting it up for the next guy.

It would be easier to lure a top hire if the roster is stacked and the team is winning at a high level than to a shitty squad that has a couple transition classes still lingering on the depth chart.  Plus it's should be easier to raise the expected salary boost for a top hire when profits are up and boosters are excited. 

One thing we do know as well, his players at every level have never had anything but good things to say about him from what I have ever seen. He is a witch recruiter as well, and would definitely be solid in that respect nationally. He would get interest across the country (especially in Cal), and he should be able to attract some quality assistants. If we end up going down the coach hunt road yet once again, he should get consideration.

Also, he should get along great with McConaughey. 😁

Edited by Wishbone

2 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Okay  would you rather have:

Pete Carroll, Norm Chow, OC and ??? at DC   or

Tom Herman, Sonny Cumbie, OC and Todd Orlando , DC,

Hmmm. Well, since this is all purely speculative, and none of it matters, I would speculate a scenario of Carroll as HC (who btw is the same age as Saban......so maybe they’re both too old 😉), and whoever the fuck he’s comfortable with on his staff. Again, unless things change in a hurry, we’re all just whistling past the coaching graveyard anyway. As I said above, I feel your frustration, and share the same. We can beat this drum until our arms give out, but in rhe end we can only sit and watch and continue to hope for an end to this purgatory.

• Like 1

Coaches we won't / can't hire because they have pasts with the NCAA and "We're Texas," ranging from sleaziest to least: Briles, Petrino, Carroll*

Coaches who ain't comin': Petersen, Swinney, Saban*

Coaches who've burned bridges here: Applewhite, Harsin, Muschamp**

Coaches who are too fat to represent the University: Patterson ***, Mangino****

Coaches who have only had success at mid-majors so far; Again, "We're Texas" and will not hire, especially post-Herman and Strong: Brohm, Fleck

A coach who would piss off the BMDs while everyone else who would love it, on the field and off: The Pirate

Co-ordinators or assistants, anywhere?: Lol. We're Texas, we don't do crap like OU did with Stoops. And Riley.

*Denotes also too old

** Also kinda sucks as an HC

*** Also in the "ain't comin'" category

**** Is a garbage human. 

We are as picky with coaches as we are with chicks around here. We don't settle for Kate Upton -- we need a 12. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

Okay  would you rather have:

Pete Carroll, Norm Chow, OC and ??? at DC   or

Tom Herman, Sonny Cumbie, OC and Todd Orlando , DC,

I would chose Carroll over Herman even without a DC, but try to fill that spot with Mel tucker 

the scandal at USC was significant in their best player received substantial benefits from an agent, outside of the team itself. Coupled with a similar thing happening on the B-ball team and another in tennis at the same time are what lead to the level of sanctions.  

In a vacuum the football scandal was far less egregious than a normal day at the office in SEC.

Edited by Treefidy

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The Carroll discussion is absurd, but the premise that the Bush stuff would be an impediment is dated thinking. 

They’re more likely to make a push for Longo and Beatty after this season to firm-up Hermeh’s foundation than anything else. 

I've advocated for Longo as OC for a while now. That'd be an A+ hire if it were to happen.

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The Carroll discussion is absurd, but the premise that the Bush stuff would be an impediment is dated thinking. 

They’re more likely to make a push for Longo and Beatty after this season to firm-up Hermeh’s foundation than anything else. 

Longo to OC, Beaty to WR and beck to TE?  And fire a couple deadbeats who can't coach or recruit, solid move.  Or is it an either/or?

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yes, the Carroll discusion is absurd. As is any other discussion regarding coaching speculation is in here. We are where we are at this point and every form of speculation is to be expected. As you must surely know, these threads are inevitable and subject to redirection depending on week to week results. Or, agonizing year to year. 😕

6 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Longo to OC, Beaty to WR and beck to TE?  And fire a couple deadbeats who can't coach or recruit, solid move.  Or is it an either/or?

To be clear, Longo isn’t a secret to anyone at this point. He’ll be a bidding war. There’s no buzz around any changes at this point. Everything is pure speculation and if the $9.95ers say otherwise, they’re making shit up. Herman is espousing patience for the season and talking about a conference title, and folks are apparently watching, I assume in some ways with disbelief.

4 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Yes, the Carroll discusion is absurd. As is any other discussion regarding coaching speculation is in here. We are where we are at this point and every form of speculation is to be expected. As you must surely know, these threads are inevitable and subject to redirection depending on week to week results. Or, agonizing year to year. 😕

My belief is that, barring scandal or a loss to KU, this narcissistic shit head is going to get 4 years to fail before being shown the door. Hence my lack of participation in this thread. You guys should light your cigarettes now, because we’ve already gotten fucked. 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

To be clear, Longo isn’t a secret to anyone at this point. He’ll be a bidding war. There’s no buzz around any changes at this point. Everything is pure speculation and if the $9.95ers say otherwise, they’re making shit up. Herman is espousing patience for the season and talking about a conference title, and folks are apparently watching, I assume in some ways with disbelief.

My belief is that, barring scandal or a loss to KU, this narcissistic shit head is going to get 4 years to fail before being shown the door. Hence my lack of participation in this thread. You guys should light your cigarettes now, because we’ve already gotten fucked. 

No doubt. There’s no way he goes until he’s shown he can’t win with “his players”. Ironically, I just lit a cig when I opened this.

And I thought I’d quit. 

Edited by Wishbone

If we don't show any progress (say 6-6, 6-6, 6-6) and recruiting continues to decline, how does a 4th year get justified?   "His players" is just some made up bullshit for sub-par caching.  

The HC job is first and foremost to hire a staff who actually coaches the players and recruits.  Good programs have to deal with a revolving door of assistants with new hire expected to step right into "someone else's players" and keep things rolling or improve where needed.  A head coach needs his guys to compete is a tired excuse for a coach in over his head.  

• Like 1

On 9/13/2018 at 7:20 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Coaches we won't / can't hire because they have pasts with the NCAA and "We're Texas," ranging from sleaziest to least: Briles, Petrino, Carroll*

Coaches who ain't comin': Petersen, Swinney, Saban*

Coaches who've burned bridges here: Applewhite, Harsin, Muschamp**

Coaches who are too fat to represent the University: Patterson ***, Mangino****

Coaches who have only had success at mid-majors so far; Again, "We're Texas" and will not hire, especially post-Herman and Strong: Brohm, Fleck

A coach who would piss off the BMDs while everyone else who would love it, on the field and off: The Pirate

Co-ordinators or assistants, anywhere?: Lol. We're Texas, we don't do crap like OU did with Stoops. And Riley.

*Denotes also too old

** Also kinda sucks as an HC

*** Also in the "ain't comin'" category

**** Is a garbage human. 

We are as picky with coaches as we are with chicks around here. We don't settle for Kate Upton -- we need a 12. 

How has Harsin burned bridges here?