do you ever yearn?

Kel Varnsen

I'm not sure I ever made the connection before, but in The Big Salad, George says he thinks he would have played with dolls if there were any around the house and that it didn't seem like a gender thing to him.  So was The Festivus triggering incident the only time Frank tried to buy George a doll?  (And Frank wasn't just referring to a He-man or GI Joe as a doll...Kramer says that it must have been some doll and Franks says she was).  Did young George specifically ask for a doll?  In any case, that was quite progressive parenting by Frank for those times. 

And how did all of this contribute to George's psyche when confronted with Susan's doll collection, specifically the Estelle look alike?

• Haha 1

Another typical thread derail:

Favorite Seinfeld quick-cut/fast-splice montage?  Can be one with dialogue, silent, with music, combo of all therein.  Not saying these are best but stuff like Jerry on postal route, Elaine coming to drop off cash to Jerry when she breaks her promise on boyfriend sex, Kramer on girl's bike, etc.  But you know those shots I'm talking about, boom-boom-boom.  What are your favorites and why?  Some are shot really well actually.  Others are just lazy joke makers.  But there was actually a metric fuckton than you remember.  What say you?  

7 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

Actually thinking back on Larry Miller, he was in his standup prime back in the mid 90s when standup was also in its prime (hello, Short Attention Span Theater!). And his five levels of drinking bit used to kill me every time.

And they say, “Who’s Rita?”?

There was no internet presence for comics back then, but Jerry and Larry actually had quite a few standup friends on the show all those years.  

On 12/27/2022 at 8:53 AM, WBT said:

Same song, two great montages.  I especially like Kramer's joke at after work happy hour and George tripping the guy with his cane and everyone thinks it's hilarious, even the victim.

Did the Play Now building not have an elevator? The stair contraption you see in peoples homes feels out of place. Not sure why the lady carrying him cracks me up every time. Must have found her on the bodybuilding circuit, lol.

22 hours ago, 'stache said:

Did the Play Now building not have an elevator? The stair contraption you see in peoples homes feels out of place. Not sure why the lady carrying him cracks me up every time. Must have found her on the bodybuilding circuit, lol.

I often ponder that very same sentiment.  And she has to be jacked as shit to carry around Jason Alexander while holding her breath.  

Anyway; happy new year fellow Seinfeld fans.  Been a weird 2022 but see you in the newmaniun

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I often ponder that very same sentiment.  And she has to be jacked as shit to carry around Jason Alexander while holding her breath.  

Anyway; happy new year fellow Seinfeld fans.  Been a weird 2022 but see you in the newmaniun

Do you think they’ll still use napkins in the year 2000?  Or is this mouth vacuum thing for real?

• Hook 'Em 1

That's Racist! ^^^

Thread got me thinking over the long weekend about all the standup comics that Jerry & Larry had cast on the show over the years.  Mario Joyner obviously comes to mind.  Pat Cooper was an all-time classic for many years, in the Friar's Club episode.  Oh yeah, it could be a comic playing themselves or another fictional character.  And no, Kenny Banya does not count.  

Dom Irrera was on at least one episode and was a pretty funny standup in the 80's and 90's.  I'm having a hard time remembering any others but I do know we'll periodically watch a rerun and I'll tell the wife, "Oh shit, that's so-and-so.  I watched their HBO special 30 years ago"  

Remembered one more-Patton Oswalt as the video store clerk.  He was a nobody though back then.  He was doing underground.alt comedy and I doubt Jerry would have known who he was.  But man, next to Jerry Seinfeld...he's easily the second best standup to ever appear on the show.  

Edited by YGIFS
Was Denim Vest guy a standup prior to Kids in the Hall?