Gumbo

1978horn

The regular (party time) is great on a bun / tortilla.

Especially at the turn at Bayou Din golf course, with mustard.

Mark Zummo is a generous contributor to nonprofits, including the one where I serve as treasurer. We serve/sell $20k in gumbo the Saturday before the super bowl every year and he provides much of the meat.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Made gumbo last night.  My wife was grossed out that I ate it Cajun style with a scoop of potato salad instead of rice.  Once you go potato salad, you don't go back.

Over started just cooking boudain, cutting it up, and serving the gumbo over that instead of rice. Sometimes you can just buy a big thing of the DJ’s boudain dressing. Much easier

That, potato salad, or just straight gumbo. White rice is pretty boring.

6 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Cooking a turkey Wednesday just for the purpose of making turkey and sausage gumbo for the tailgate Friday.  And of course turkey stock will be made from the carcass.  

I'm keeping the carcass from my family's thanksgiving, and making a turkey of my own when I get back into town.  The first friends gettogether after Thanksgiving always means gumbo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

We're heading to Austin on Friday.  So I'll be making gumbo on Thursday after lunch (probably to store for when we get home).  I'm trying to streamline the process and will be doing an oven-roux ahead of time (Wednesday), which I will store in a jar in the fridge.  That and doing all the veggies/sausage chopping/slicing ahead of time should cut down on the time considerably.  

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Team Turkey Gumbo 2023 -- Will be making the turkey stock on Thursday after cleaning up the Thanksgiving meal (using Emeril's simple but effective turkey stock recipe), but since much of Friday will be consumed with pre-game prep and festivities, I won't be making the gumbo until Saturday.

same here except making stock on friday.

• Hook 'Em 1

@1978horn That looks delicious!

Did the oven roux last night.  It went well with a few caveats.  It took way more than 2 hours at 350.  Even after 3, though dark, it wasn't as dark as I usually like it.  Of course, I can get there tomorrow on the cooktop, I guess.  It was nice to not have to stand and stir it for an hour-and-a-half.  But if I'd been in a hurry, I'd have been better off just making it on the cooktop and storing it. 

Got my veggies and sausage diced/cut up.  Homemade turkey stock is defrosting.  I should be able to just heat things up and go tomorrow.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Did the oven roux last night.  It went well with a few caveats.  It took way more than 2 hours at 350.  Even after 3, though dark, it wasn't as dark as I usually like it.  Of course, I can get there tomorrow on the cooktop, I guess.  It was nice to not have to stand and stir it for an hour-and-a-half.  But if I'd been in a hurry, I'd have been better off just making it on the cooktop and storing it. 

I like to drink while I stir the roux in my cast iron Dutch oven.  Not exactly sure how that would work with the oven roux method.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, DalTxHornFan said:

I like to drink while I stir the roux in my cast iron Dutch oven.  Not exactly sure how that would work with the oven roux method.

It's the same, but you don't have to turn down the heat to go get another drink.  Oh, and, in my case, I was sitting down rather than standing.  So my feet liked oven-method more.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/21/2023 at 8:00 AM, South Austin said:

Team Turkey Gumbo 2023 -- Will be making the turkey stock on Thursday after cleaning up the Thanksgiving meal (using Emeril's simple but effective turkey stock recipe), but since much of Friday will be consumed with pre-game prep and festivities, I won't be making the gumbo until Saturday.

I am gonna give it a go this year. Please post any tips. Frying 2 turkeys here in cali tomorrow and they’ve never had gumbo before so kind of don’t want to fuck it up 

[mention=126]1978horn[/mention] That looks delicious!

Got my veggies and sausage diced/cut up.  Homemade turkey stock is defrosting.  I should be able to just heat things up and go tomorrow.

I stand and stir fast at a higher heat and only for about 35-45 min.

It’s so good this way I just can’t try the oven method at my core.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This. I just can’t do it any other way.

I'm just used to medium heat for an hour-and-a-half.  If we weren't heading to Austin on Friday, I wouldn't worry with doing so much in advance and would happily stand over the pot, lazily stirring and drinking for the long stretch.  But Friday's out.  So it's getting crammed into t-giving day.

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This. I just can’t do it any other way.

Exactly- making roux is as close as American southern people get to the discipline of a sushi master cutting fugu or a French chef making a perfect omelette - it's an act of sensory focus that requires focus, patience, intention. It's a simple but incredibly difficult thing, and the knowlege of how to do it cannot be learned, it must be stolen. No shortcuts, no tricks, no hacks - gijutsu wo nusumu.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Exactly- making roux is as close as American southern people get to the discipline of a sushi master cutting fugu or a French chef making a perfect omelette - it's an act of sensory focus that requires focus, patience, intention. It's a simple but incredibly difficult thing, and the knowlege of how to do it cannot be learned, it must be stolen. No shortcuts, no tricks, no hacks - gijutsu wo nusumu.

It's my preference as well.  But the oven thing works fine.  I work with a woman whose parents are Cajun.  She said a lot of the old-timers do oven roux.  I still like to be involved in the process though.

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

It's my preference as well.  But the oven thing works fine.  I work with a woman whose parents are Cajun.  She said a lot of the old-timers do oven roux.  I still like to be involved in the process though.

A famous Indian hermit who had once been a rich trader retreated to a cave high in the Himalayas and there lived in isolation, chanting his mantra in isolation. 

After 25 years he left his cave, put down his staff and his alms bowl, shaved his beard,  and went back to the city and his old life. 

People would ask him “do you still chant the mantra?”
”No need,” he would reply.
“I listen to it.”

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

A famous Indian hermit who had once been a rich trader retreated to a cave high in the Himalayas and there lived in isolation, chanting his mantra in isolation. 

After 25 years he left his cave, put down his staff and his alms bowl, shaved his beard,  and went back to the city and his old life. 

People would ask him “do you still chant the mantra?”
”No need,” he would reply.
“I listen to it.”

A wise man and his apprentice were traveling.  They reached a river, and encountered a man who was too weak to cross.  The wise man carried the man across the river on his back while the apprentice carried the belongings both of the wise and the helpless man.  The wise man and the apprentice left the man on the other side of the river and went on their way.  The apprentice was perturbed about having to do extra work while the helpless man was carried.  Eventually, he asked the wise man why he would treat the two so differently.  The wise man responded, "Him?  I put him down hours ago."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

I am gonna give it a go this year. Please post any tips. Frying 2 turkeys here in cali tomorrow and they’ve never had gumbo before so kind of don’t want to fuck it up 

My only tip (and I may have previously posted this up stream -- I tend to repeat myself at my advanced age) is to fry up your sausage/pork/bacon/turkey first and use this grease and the pan solids as your starter for the roux process.  Then add your lard and flour (All you guys make your own lard, don't you?  It's so easy.) and then you can really begin to make your roux. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Full credit to y'all! I usually only ever make shrimp and sausage gumbo, but the talk in this thread leading up to Thanksgiving convinced me to whip up a batch of turkey and sausage. My expectations were low. Boy, was I wrong. This shit is the bomb!

I normally make turkey tortilla soup from the leftovers, but this might be the way going forward.

20231124_TurkeyGumboBowl.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Posting the turkey gumbo in process now in case I forget after a day of football and day drinking. Used the turkey stock and turned it up to 11 by making the roux with rendered duck fat. Added Worcestershire and soy sauce as taught by my Cajun friend in Breaux Bridge. Waiting a couple hours before I add the turkey so it doesn’t get too stringy.

i'll hold half my sausage back while letting the rest get a good soaking in your mom.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I put a little Red Boat Fish Sauce in mine

Thought about that the other day.  I think it would be a substitute for Soy Sauce.  I did it in a Thanksgiving gravy recipe, but only about a teaspoon.  That stuff smells so nasty.