Tsunami in Indonesia

Wally Fairway

2 minutes ago, LonghornJones said:

To this day I still find that 2004 tsunami footage some of the most amazing my eyes have ever seen.

Back when the 2004 tsunami hit, there wasn't a singular place to upload videos like youtube.  I can remember stumbling upon a website called wavesofdestruction.com where as many as 30 videos of the 2004 tsunami had been uploaded.  I watched in amazement for hours on end.  It was horrifying to think about how many people had been killed, but it was endlessly fascinating to watch.  I hope everyone in Indonesia learned their lesson and got to higher ground as soon as they felt the earthquake.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LonghornJones said:

To this day I still find that 2004 tsunami footage some of the most amazing my eyes have ever seen.

I'll never forget that day.  Was sitting at a bar at 10am waiting for the NFL games to come on and we were watching that footage.  It was seriously akin to watching a train wreck with my inability to look away.  There was a kid sitting on top of a door floating down the middle of the street at raging river pace. 

One of my buddies, who was tending bar, said that we should make T-shirts to sell and send all the profits to help out.  

The Shirt:  The kid, surfing on the board rather than sitting, with the line "The Tsunami Took My Mommy" underneath the graphic.

I hate that I laughed for 3 hours straight about it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hate said:

Back when the 2004 tsunami hit, there wasn't a singular place to upload videos like youtube.  I can remember stumbling upon a website called wavesofdestruction.com where as many as 30 videos of the 2004 tsunami had been uploaded.  I watched in amazement for hours on end.  It was horrifying to think about how many people had been killed, but it was endlessly fascinating to watch.  I hope everyone in Indonesia learned their lesson and got to higher ground as soon as they felt the earthquake.

I don't think you always feel the earthquake.

The earth quakes are hundreds of miles out to sea.  People don't feel them.  I was in Patong in 2013 where the 04 Tsunami hit and there is a ton of footage but it's really hard to grasp how big that wave and flood was until you are standing there and the show you where the waterlines are on a bunch of buildings.  I got a shiver just standing there

• Like 1

Prior to the 2004 videos, I envisioned the tsunamis as a big wave and then back to normal.  Instead it seems like the ocean just rises up and doesn't drop for some time.  And when it does drop, you have tons of debris rushing back out to sea with the water.   Then 2011 Japan videos just reinforced it especially given that so many more people had smart phones.

I don't think you always feel the earthquake.

Obviously if you are far enough away you will not feel the earthquake, like those in Thailand or Sri Lanka in 2004. Earthquakes such as this one were felt by the people also impacted by the tsunami as it really wasn’t that big. I’d be surprised to find out that this tsunami was responsible for a large amount of deaths.

Edit: the place struck by the tsunami is just below the epicenter in this picture. I guarantee they felt the quake.

896ffe220fba2e1fcd5d473115cbeb80.png

14 hours ago, Hate said:

Earthquakes such as this one were felt by the people also impacted by the tsunami as it really wasn’t that big. I’d be surprised to find out that this tsunami was responsible for a large amount of deaths.

It's looking worse than originally reported 

At least 384 people have died after a magnitude-7.5 earthquake rocked the Indonesian island of Sulawesi and triggered a tsunami.

Indonesia’s disaster agency updated the death toll on Saturday afternoon local time as emergency teams worked to rescue those injured and recover bodies from more than 1,000 buildings destroyed in the city of Palu, home to about 350,000 people.

The full extent of the damage is still coming to light, with communications down in the coastal area of Donggala, which was the worst affected by the tsunami.

15 hours ago, bluto said:

POS REP for the suspicious 0bservers youtube, that dude is a trip and I'm generally a believer of what he pitches

Yeah he is badass. I think the electric universe theory is far superior to the "dark matter we can't see" theory.

Also, anytime people are freaking out about the sun or weather I just watch his channel and calm down because he understands what's going on.

On 9/28/2018 at 11:13 AM, Trey3216 said:

I'll never forget that day.  Was sitting at a bar at 10am waiting for the NFL games to come on and we were watching that footage.  It was seriously akin to watching a train wreck with my inability to look away.  There was a kid sitting on top of a door floating down the middle of the street at raging river pace. 

One of my buddies, who was tending bar, said that we should make T-shirts to sell and send all the profits to help out.  

The Shirt:  The kid, surfing on the board rather than sitting, with the line "The Tsunami Took My Mommy" underneath the graphic.

I hate that I laughed for 3 hours straight about it. 

Or: "Let's go surfin' now. Everybody's learnin' how."

On September 28, 2018 at 12:12 PM, Hate said:

I watched the 2004 videos at: http://asiantsunamivideos.com

The site is still there. I haven't looked closely to see how many of the old videos are there nor what kind of new content has been added. 

Damn, it sounds like many of the victims of the quake and tsunami may not have even had a chance to run.  Liquefaction swallowed up parts of one town near the epicenter.  Those people never had a chance. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/indonesia-steps-up-race-to-find-survivors-as-quake-toll-passes-1200/ar-BBNPcgu?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=DELLDHP17

PALU, Indonesia, Oct 2 (Reuters) - Indonesia is in a race against time to save victims of a devastating earthquake and tsunami on Sulawesi island, the government said on Tuesday, as the official death toll rose to more than 1,200 and looting fueled fears of lawlessness.

Four days after the double disaster struck, officials feared the toll could soar, as most of the confirmed dead had come from Palu, a small city 1,500 km (930 miles) northeast of Jakarta.

Some remote areas have been largely cut off after Friday's 7.5 magnitude quake triggered tsunami waves, destroying roads and bridges, and their losses have yet to be determined.

"The team is racing against time because it’s already D+four," Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman of National Disaster Mitigation Agency, told a briefing in Jakarta, referring to four days since the quake.

He said rescuers had reached all four of the badly affected districts, which together have a population of 1.4 million, but he declined to give an estimate of casualties.

He gave few details of the conditions rescuers had found, saying they were similar to those in Palu.

Earlier, President Joko Widodo called for reinforcements in the search for survivors saying everyone had to be found.

The official death toll surged to 1,234 with 800 people seriously injured.

There has been particular concern about Donggala, a district of 300,000 people north of Palu and close to the epicenter of the quake, which only a few aid workers have managed to reach.

Nugroho said it had been "devastated" by the tsunami.

A video from the district, broadcast by the Antara state news agency, showed widespread destruction, including flattened buildings and a ship hurled into port buildings by the tsunami.

"What we need is food, water, medicine, but to up now we’ve got nothing," said an unidentified man standing in ruins.

In Palu, tsunami waves as high as six meters (20 feet) smashed into the beachfront, while hotels and shopping malls collapsed in ruins.

About 1,700 houses in one neighborhood were swallowed up by ground liquefaction, which happens when soil shaken by an earthquake behaves like a liquid, and hundreds of people are believed to have perished, the disaster agency said.

Before-and-after satellite pictures showed a largely built-up neighborhood just south of Palu's airport seemingly wiped clean of all signs of life by liquefaction.

Nugroho said Sigi district was "flattened" by liquefaction. Among the dead were 34 children killed at a Christian bible study camp.

More than 65,000 homes were damaged and more than 60,000 people have been displaced and are in need of emergency help.

Thousands of people have been streaming out of stricken areas. Commercial airlines have struggled to restore operations at Palu's damaged airport but military aircraft have taken some survivors out. Many more want to leave.

The government has ordered that aid be airlifted in but there's little sign of help on Palu's shattered streets and survivors appeared increasingly desperate.

A Reuters news team saw a shop cleared by about 100 people, shouting, scrambling and fighting each other for items including clothes, toiletries, blankets and water.

Many people grabbed diapers while one man clutched a rice cooker as he headed for the door. Non-essential goods were scattered on the floor amid shards of broken glass.

Police were at the scene but did not intervene. The government has played down looting saying victims could take essentials and shops would be compensated.

Indonesia is all too familiar with earthquakes and tsunamis. A quake in 2004 triggered a tsunami across the Indian Ocean that killed 226,000 people in 13 countries, including more than 120,000 in Indonesia.

It has said it would accept offers of international aid, after shunning outside help this year when an earthquake struck Lombok island.

A spokesman for the main U.N. aid coordinating agency, OCHA, said humanitarian agencies were in contact with the government and ready to help.

"There is an immediate need for food, clean water, shelter, medical care and psycho-social support," the spokesman, Jens Laerke, told a briefing in Geneva.

State port operator Pelindo IV said a ship carrying 50 tonnes of supplies including rice and baby milk had arrived in Palu on Monday. It was unclear if the aid had been distributed.

Power has yet to be restored and aftershocks have rattled nerves but rescuers in Palu held out hope they could still save lives.

"We suspect there are still some survivors trapped inside," the head of one rescue team, Agus Haryono, told Reuters at the collapsed Hotel Roa Roa as he pored over its blueprints.

About 50 people were believed to have been caught inside the hotel when it was brought down. About nine bodies have been recovered and three rescued alive.

Elsewhere, on the outskirts of Palu, lorries brought 54 bodies to a mass grave. Most had not been claimed, a policeman said, but some relatives came to pay respects to loved ones at the 50-meter (165 ft) trench.

Rosmawati Binti Yahya, 52, was still looking for her missing daughter. But her husband was among the victims laid in the grave.

"It's OK if he's buried in the mass grave, it's better to have him buried fast," she said.

The NY times has a good article today on the earthquake and tsunami.  It has pictures from before and after the affected areas including some that show complete neighborhoods that are completely gone due to liquefaction.  The wave heights in Palu were no doubt exacerbated by the town being at the end of an inlet (Palu Bay) to the Makasser Strait.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/10/01/world/asia/map-tsunami-indonesia.html

Edited by Hate
  • Like 1