Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

^ Fucking crazy how many lately. 

It is heartbreaking to announce that after 16 years in business, Lola's is closing down. Last Wednesday was our final day. We went out with a bang! Big Mike's Box of Rock was a fitting end. Fort Worth has been wonderful to us through the years with love and support through thick and thin. I want to thank every single employee that has ever worked for Lola's, without you 16 years would have not been possible. The life blood of the place was them and of course the amazing talent of every musician in the town that played our stages. I have watched alot of you grow up and become my closest friends and supporters in the world. Please support the venues in town! Every single person that has ever been to Lola's means something to me. We have always felt the love and tried to give it right back. Thank You Fort Worth!! The list of people to thank for any successes we had is longer than Rosedale Avenue 

Have we talked about this before? What is the fucking deal with Tarrant County and janky ass traffic lights that go down all the time?

Any amount of rain, any wind over like 15mph, and sometimes for no reason at all like tonight, some big intersection will be all flashing reds.

I'm not talking construction zones. Which there are also a metric fuck ton popping up everywhere lately.

I remember a couple of years ago a gnarly storm blew through and the lights were just off on Highway 10 in MidCoties. And people forgot their drivers-ed and just blew through intersections at 50mph without so much of a tap of the brakes.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 10:23 AM, DeepEastTexas said:

This place sucked. Went there last Friday and tried the following:

Signature dishes include a beef brisket served with a side of white truffle potato salad

It was $28 for about a 1/4 lbs of brisket.  3 drops of BBQ sauce on the plate....drops. It looked like someone dripped sauce while moving a spoon of sauce over the plate. Pathetic. Potato salad looked like it was dumped out of a styrofoam container and onto the plate.

Im sure this will do well in Dallas, but not FW. I get more from Rudy's. I should have gone to Rudy's. 

All of the warning signs needed by anyone who considers eating at this place. Talked to a buddy yesterday who had a chopped beef sammich there on Wednesday for $16.  GTFO And white truffle potato salad hasn't been on any decent barbecue menu that I have ever seen in my lifetime, WTF.  Nobody bats 1.000 and while Felipe Armenta has done well with the variety of restaurants under his flag, unless drastic changes are made to the menu, this place will be shuttered soon. 

All of the warning signs needed by anyone who considers eating at this place. Talked to a buddy yesterday who had a chopped beef sammich there on Wednesday for $16.  GTFO And white truffle potato salad hasn't been on any decent barbecue menu that I have ever seen in my lifetime, WTF.  Nobody bats 1.000 and while Felipe Armenta has done well with the variety of restaurants under his flag, unless drastic changes are made to the menu, this place will be shuttered soon. 
I get what everyone is saying here, but the place was more or less full last night at 630pm. I think there is a market for this place, it's just not most of us. Maybe not long term but it's not gonna shut down in a few months, IMO.

This place will be kept going only as long as the foodie crowd is enamoured with it and then they’ll move on to the next trendy spot. Their overhead has to be even higher than the typical upscale craft barbecue place, but they have a bar that helps a bit with margins. At some point a glitch in cash flow and high food costs, high labor, and high rent will crush you.

On 11/28/2023 at 10:07 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Papi’s Tacos menu, the old Dive on Alta Mere.

IMG-0928.jpg

Buddy had the California burrito tonight, said it was good. 

Hit it up tonight. Also had the California burrito with Adobada (marinated pork). Shit was huge & good. Only complaint was their napkins suck, you will need a bunch. Small place, 4 tables/4 booths. 

Go give them some $ so they stick around for awhile. 

• Like 1

This place will be kept going only as long as the foodie crowd is enamoured with it and then they’ll move on to the next trendy spot. Their overhead has to be even higher than the typical upscale craft barbecue place, but they have a bar that helps a bit with margins. At some point a glitch in cash flow and high food costs, high labor, and high rent will crush you.

The people I know who have been there said it was good. I think the struggle is when you categorize it as a BBQ joint and compare it to places like Panther City. It’s not trying to be that.

It’s not something I’m particularly interested in, but it would be hard to bet against Felipe Armenta right now. His other restaurants are very successful.

On 12/13/2023 at 6:34 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Hit it up tonight. Also had the California burrito with Adobada (marinated pork). Shit was huge & good. Only complaint was their napkins suck, you will need a bunch. Small place, 4 tables/4 booths. 

Go give them some $ so they stick around for awhile. 

20231215_135233.jpg

• Like 1

Y'all throw @C-Man a bone, he won't like my advice. 

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

At the risk of alienating our Cowtown brethren with this thread can we get some FW restaurant talk going here in a catch-all format? My wife and I are headed over there Wednesday to meet a friend of hers for lunch. We've done Pacific Table and Maria's the last two times we've been over there to meet her over holidays. (Owner of those places is the client of a buddy of mine in our FW office.) We also hit OG Fred's the last day it was open as well. Reached out to a former FWST colleague who seems to have her finger on the pulse of the culinary scene in FW and she suggested Don Artemio, Walloon's, Cafe Modern or something in Clearfork since it's all decked out for the holidays and has quite a few options. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Y'all throw @C-Man a bone, he won't like my advice. 

Why exactly?

4 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

1f733a3e0c225e4e2a0fff83459f502c.gif

I'm interested in legit suggestions. Getting a few over on the Dallas/Food board. Been to a few of them like Lili's. Clearfork looks like it's some Dallas concepts that have opened up FW locations -- no need for that. We don't make it over to FW nearly as much as we used to, or would like.

Don Artemio is good and similar to Maria’s. Quince could also go in that conversation.

Ellerbe is great farm-to-table American food and open for lunch.

Lucille’s is always a good choice and a little more on the casual side. Winslow’s too but haven’t been there in a while.

Press Cafe and Tavern both also owned by the Maria’s and Pacific Table group. Press has a great patio if you want to be outside. I like Tavern more for all around food and drink quality.

Clearfork is boring to me. If you live in Dallas and go to FW to eat at Clearfork, it would be like living in Colorado and going to New Mexico to ski. It’s the same stuff on a smaller scale.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Frank Erwin said:

For lunch I would say Luciles or Lili's.  Avoid Reata, it has has really gone down which is sad.  Don Artemio is overpriced for lunch, Maria's is the better bet.  Have heard good things about Quince too

We went to 61 Osteria and it was really, really good. We did Maria's previously. Enjoyed it too.

Ordered the "Serpente" and it was fucking fantastic.

image.png.ac8032aaef8fe8a1934029fb528b485e.png

Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 5.35.59 PM.png

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

That's a shame about Reata, it was great before they had to move to the Caravan of Dreams spot after the tornado. 

I really miss the puffy tacos at Caro's on Bluebonnet Circle.  Also the CFS at Massey's on 8th Avenue.

It seems like many of the nicer places in FW are simply Dallas retreads. 

Nothing better than having Johnny Whitten deliver a basket of puffy tacos next door to the Oui lounge and having a pitcher of cold adult beverage-two of my four food groups back in the day. And my cardiologist retired when Massey's closed-there hasn't been a CFS in FW to compare imho.  But the real loss was when Caravan of Dreams closed and I had to find work elsewhere. Best five years of employment in my life and getting to meet & mingle with the performers still brings a smile.

• Hook 'Em 2