2018-19 Houston Rockets Thread of running it back (mainly)

SEC

I mean the Warriors are heavy favorites as usual but idk how anyone would not like how the Rockets play. The idea spread by the media that "all Harden does is flop and get all the calls" is a bunch of bullshit. Harden is fun to watch and yes when he's fouled its a legit foul over 95% of the time. He's just the hardest guy to defend in the league 

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I mean the Warriors are heavy favorites as usual but idk how anyone would not like how the Rockets play. The idea spread by the media that "all Harden does is flop and get all the calls" is a bunch of bullshit. Harden is fun to watch and yes when he's fouled its a legit foul over 95% of the time

To each their own but Harden is a chore to watch. He plays for fouls and isolates 95% of the time. The Rockets are 10 for 31 from 3. I think it might be time for me to retire from watching the NBA

1 hour ago, goatsaag said:

This gimmick defense the Jazz are trying to play against Harden is not working at all.

It was until Tucker started hitting his open corner 3's. The Jazz were cheating off of him to take away the lob from Capela and the drive from Harden. As soon as Tucker hit 3 3's in a row, that game plan was toast and the floor opened up for Harden and Capela.

10 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

that was way easier than i expected it to be.  game 2 will not be as easy.  

It will be if they play that junk defense on Harden and Paul again. The Jazz had 12 more FT makes than the Rockets and still lost by 20 30.

Edited by HtownHorn

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

That was fun.

Need to stay focused in Game 2.  We're gonna have a harder time in Utah, so we need to be up 2-0 to put some pressure on them up there.

Next game is on Wednesday. There will be enough time to physically recover and prepare for Game 2. Utah tried to take away the 3 point shot but gave up the paint. They might try crowding the paint, but I don't see any adjustment being successful for them.

9 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Next game is on Wednesday. There will be enough time to physically recover and prepare for Game 2. Utah tried to take away the 3 point shot but gave up the paint. They might try crowding the paint, but I don't see any adjustment being successful for them.

1st round schedule is stupid. That said, getting Clint back 100% and the rest allows Faried to rest his knees.

32 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It was until Tucker started hitting his open corner 3's. The Jazz were cheating off of him to take away the lob from Capela and the drive from Harden. As soon as Tucker hit 3 3's in a row, that game plan was toast and the floor opened up for Harden and Capela.

I would argue that a defense isn't "working" when the intended result is a wide open corner 3 for Tucker, a lob to Capela, or a layup by Harden even if those shots happen to miss. That's not a plan that is sustainable at all. They were basically conceding to give the Rockets the exact shots they want instead of just trying to play actual defense on Harden.

Edited by goatsaag

3 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

I would argue that a defense isn't "working" when the intended result is a wide open corner 3 for Tucker, a lob to Capela, or a layup by Harden even if those shots happen to miss. That's not a plan that is sustainable at all. They were basically conceding to give the Rockets the exact shots they want instead of just trying to play actual defense on Harden.

It works when the Rockets have an off shooting night, which they can have. We take a shit load, but a .356 shooting team is not elite at it.

27 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Agreed.  Several Rockets, especially Harden, are good at making threes even when they're contested.  So really the only way to keep Houston under 100 is when we're just having a bad shooting night.  

It must be amazingly frustrating for Utah, the statistical #2 defense in the league, to have 122 dropped on them when Harden didn't even break 30.  And I'm not sure there's much they can do about it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Maybe @Zavala is on to something. 

Lol I'm not 10000% sure the NBA games are fixed, but the guy who got caught betting and fixing NBA games called the guy who did the bullshit against the Rockets last year WCF, Foster...

The records show Donaghy placed 134 calls to referee Scott Foster — more than the 126 calls Donaghy made to his bookie — between October 2006 and April 2007, the period during which he has confessed to either betting on games or passing on game information to gamblers.

Edited by Zavala

2 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

To each their own but Harden is impossible to guard. He plays for buckets in an unconventional manner which makes it difficult to stop without fouling and isolates 95% of the time. The Rockets are 10 for 31 from 3. I think it might be time for me to retire from watching the NBA

Fify

• Like 1

I don’t understand the opinion that the nba and/or harden makes it impossible to watch.  His style is very similar to many previous players who would isolate and always drive to the basket to score/get fouled. No different.  Add that to d’antonis 3pt strategy and it’s just a different style.

to me what makes the nba unwatchable is that I feel like I’ve seen almost every game before. It’s because I’m old and I have.  I rarely play attention to any game until the 4th. If it’s a blowout I missed nothing and if it’s close, I will tune in.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t understand the opinion that the nba and/or harden makes it impossible to watch.  His style is very similar to many previous players who would isolate and always drive to the basket to score/get fouled. No different.  Add that to d’antonis 3pt strategy and it’s just a different style.

to me what makes the nba unwatchable is that I feel like I’ve seen almost every game before. It’s because I’m old and I have.  I rarely play attention to any game until the 4th. If it’s a blowout I missed nothing and if it’s close, I will tune in.  

Correct.  Only people who hate on Harden would kill to have him on their team

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yeah, I almost prefer to watch on delay. That way I can speed through the game in minutes.

Last night we watched Game of Thrones, and didn't turn on the Rockets game until almost 10pm. I had it on DVR, so I started from the beginning without having any idea what the score was, and I was able to catch up to the actual game at the end of the 4th. I was able to fast forward through an hour of downtime, commercials, halftime, timeouts, even 10 seconds here and there to pass over free throws. Honestly, it was one of the best game viewings I have had in a while, and I kind of forgot about how awesome it was to fast forward through the junk content around the game. You just have to remember to turn off Team alerts on your phone for google/espn/yahoo or whatever you use.

Free throws are boring as fuck, and Harden does shoot a lot of them, but not last night, those refs were doing him no favors. The NBA does need to speed up the FT process, I was kind of surprised at how many times I could fast forward during the FT process. There's about 10-15 seconds between attempts, which is totally unnecessary. Guys should be required to stay at the line, and get the ball back immediately to shoot the next one and get on with it. 

Unrelated, but did anyone else see PJ Tucker get knocked into the first row on a corner 3 in the third quarter? That was a crazy no-call, but they didn't replay it on TV. I thought it was pretty egregious, as it was a big collision, and was rather dangerous. 

They aren't gonna call the game that leads Houston home in the first round lol. You think the league office wants Utah/GS in a second round series or Houston/GS? That twitter account probably isn't Donaghy and if it is he is really reaching on this one. There are bad calls both ways all the time and while I agree certain refs lean on calling more favorably for one team than another you can't bitch that every call made is a rigging by the refs. I personally watched and just thought they were calling playoff basketball which has ALWAYS been called a certain way that allows it to be more physical.

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Paul was tackled by Gobert on another corner 3 that was a no call. It did lead to an open 3 by Gordon that he did hit. Gobert would have fouled out in like 20 minutes in a regular season game with the amount of contact he got away with last night.

Lotta contact to not call a foul here:  https://streamable.com/r1c9v

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Last night we watched Game of Thrones, and didn't turn on the Rockets game until almost 10pm. I had it on DVR, so I started from the beginning without having any idea what the score was, and I was able to catch up to the actual game at the end of the 4th. I was able to fast forward through an hour of downtime, commercials, halftime, timeouts, even 10 seconds here and there to pass over free throws. Honestly, it was one of the best game viewings I have had in a while, and I kind of forgot about how awesome it was to fast forward through the junk content around the game. You just have to remember to turn off Team alerts on your phone for google/espn/yahoo or whatever you use.

Free throws are boring as fuck, and Harden does shoot a lot of them, but not last night, those refs were doing him no favors. The NBA does need to speed up the FT process, I was kind of surprised at how many times I could fast forward during the FT process. There's about 10-15 seconds between attempts, which is totally unnecessary. Guys should be required to stay at the line, and get the ball back immediately to shoot the next one and get on with it. 

Unrelated, but did anyone else see PJ Tucker get knocked into the first row on a corner 3 in the third quarter? That was a crazy no-call, but they didn't replay it on TV. I thought it was pretty egregious, as it was a big collision, and was rather dangerous. 

You did the basketball version of condensed games that the NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB at Bat does. Nice way to quickly catch up on a game you happened to miss