Is it worth it to file a small claims suit in 75219 for towing?

Bevine

Hello,

my apartment uses an online registration system to allow visitors to park in the guest parking area. One night, a guest of mine parked in it and I registered them at 9:11pm (I have proof of this, as the online system gives you a confirmation code and stamp). 

This car got towed. The official invoice from the storage facility says the tow time was 9:38PM, the report of towing the apt complex gets says official tow time was 9:18PM. By these standards, I should be getting a refund for my paying of picking up the car.

However I emailed the company and they said no, and sent pictures taken of the car at 9:10:30PM saying the violation occurred at that time. This would be literally seconds after I went up to the apt while registering it.

I feel like this is ridiculous, and the guy should have known the car shouldn’t get towed since the registration went through before the two official times reported.

is it worth it to fight it in court? The fine to pick up the car was $170. I know I could probably blow it off, but I hate this kind of predatory towing.

Get it from your apartment complex. Their procedure and contractor caused the issue. I'd imagine you'll be able to deduct the cost from the following month's rent. Then they can deduct the amount from the contractor's invoice. Your issue isn't with the towing company; it's with your complex. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Get it from your apartment complex. Their procedure and contractor caused the issue. I'd imagine you'll be able to deduct the cost from the following month's rent. Then they can deduct the amount from the contractor's invoice. Your issue isn't with the towing company; it's with your complex. 

I reached out to them and they said they would contact their account manager, but made no promises and said normally this should be between me and the towing company.

9 minutes ago, Bevine said:

I reached out to them and they said they would contact their account manager, but made no promises and said normally this should be between me and the towing company.

Tell them they should consider who they contract with. Just like this interaction will make you consider where you lease. Common sense should prevail.

Tell them they should consider who they contract with. Just like this interaction will make you consider where you lease. Common sense should prevail.

This, would also let them know if they don’t make it right you’ll be sure to post your experience to review sites and social media.

I swear these fucks get kick backs from tow companies for stuff like this

How long are you planning on staying at that apartment complex? I'm kind of an asshole but I would shortpay my next month's rent by $170 to get the shit noticed faster. Of course I would also be ready to move if they get shitty about it after that.

Then I'd be sure to one star review the apartment complex with details of my story on every available review site.

• Like 2

Hopefully you complex will make it right, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  It's only worth it if you've got nothing to do or the principle is worth your time.  I wouldn't recommend shorting your rent as you will open yourself up to a whole slew of completely separate problems.  Your lease agreement is completely separate from the tow company.

Edited by Gene Parmesan

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Hopefully you complex will make it right, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  It's only worth it if you've got nothing to do or the principle is worth your time.  I wouldn't recommend shorting your rent as you will open yourself up to a whole slew of completely separate problems.  Your lease agreement is completely separate from the tow company.

This is my mentality. I don't know how much its worth the stress, I just hate towing companies. I guess I'll follow the track of "If you don't resolve this, I'll remember when my contract is up." Hopefully that is enough to persuade them. Although if this complex is anything like the ones in West Campus, they will wave me goodbye gladly.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

How long are you planning on staying at that apartment complex? I'm kind of an asshole but I would shortpay my next month's rent by $170 to get the shit noticed faster. Of course I would also be ready to move if they get shitty about it after that.

Then I'd be sure to one star review the apartment complex with details of my story on every available review site.

This is very bad advice from the usually-reliable Huck.  Don't do this, they will be able to evict you, which will fuck you up big time. If they don't make it right, file a tow hearing with Judge Cercone, JP in that area. Send me a PM if you end up having to do that.

Hate to say this, but txtow knew his sign statute. Was all of that bs?

The gist was that tx law changed written requirements for parking lot warning signs and no tow companies/property owners updated their signs. He claimed slam dunk treble damages for anyone with an afternoon to spare in court.

OP, why don't you post picture of the towing notice sign posted at the lot?

2 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

This is very bad advice from the usually-reliable Huck.  Don't do this, they will be able to evict you, which will fuck you up big time. If they don't make it right, file a tow hearing with Judge Cercone, JP in that area. Send me a PM if you end up having to do that.

Thank you, I hope it doesn't get there, but I appreciate your willingness for help!

1 hour ago, woohorn said:

The gist was that tx law changed written requirements for parking lot warning signs and no tow companies/property owners updated their signs. He claimed slam dunk treble damages for anyone with an afternoon to spare in court.

This is an interesting take, I'll research the law and measure the sign... its a long shot but might work.

The issue isn't the sign, but that the person was compliant with the policy and was towed anyway.  It would be just like if they towed Bevine's car. It's not an authorized nonconsent tow.
Stoopid sooner. Visitors don't sign leases, so it is completely different and you are evil and wrong.

2 minutes ago, woohorn said:
6 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:
The issue isn't the sign, but that the person was compliant with the policy and was towed anyway.  It would be just like if they towed Bevine's car. It's not an authorized nonconsent tow.

Stoopid sooner. Visitors don't sign leases, so it is completely different and you are evil and wrong.

I don't sign a lease when I shop at a store that has parking reserved for its customers, but they are still going to be on the hook if they have my car towed while I'm shopping at their store.

Edited by TXSooner518

4 hours ago, woohorn said:

https://ibb.co/bZvGRz[/IMG]

Thats the sign at the entrance, and after some research, it does appear to violate the Texas standard.

To anyone that may care about an update on this: The apt complex stepped up and took my side on the matter, even going as far as threatening their contract with the towing company. The towing company conceded the refund. Being a recent UT grad, I am used to apt complexes that don't care much for you in west campus, this was fresh. Thanks y'all for the advice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1