Comic Relief: Satirical Tweets and Memes

Hugo Stiglitz

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

That holds up a mirror that I really didn't want to look into.  But I'm glad I had to.

Yep.  Satire is often the harshest truth out there, and he hit a freaking bullseye.

I'll cut the West a LITTLE slack by noting that, after WWII and particularly after the collapse of the USSR, Europe/the West definitely got the idea in their collective skulls of "well.....now that we're past THAT awkward stage in our history, let's get on with things."  Europe thinking "we're done with war" when they have only had one stretch of 70 years without a major war* was perhaps a tad hubristic and optimistic.

* Sorry, former Yugoslavia.  Y'all had a shitshow, but you know......stuff and reasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  Satire is often the harshest truth out there, and he hit a freaking bullseye.

I'll cut the West a LITTLE slack by noting that, after WWII and particularly after the collapse of the USSR, Europe/the West definitely got the idea in their collective skulls of "well.....now that we're past THAT awkward stage in our history, let's get on with things."  Europe thinking "we're done with war" when they have only had one stretch of 70 years without a major war* was perhaps a tad hubristic and optimistic.

* Sorry, former Yugoslavia.  Y'all had a shitshow, but you know......stuff and reasons.

It’s hard to deny the language of those reporters, but I think this is right.  The war is on the continent of stable democracies and multiple nuclear powers and echos all the world-ending concerns of WWII and the Cold War.  It deserves different treatment.  

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Why would anyone get mad over that?  It's blatantly obvious and it sucks that people have been framing it that way.  That's the first I've seen of it, but man, 10 seconds in I was like "Holy shit, just say white people.  We can all see that's what you want to say."