How is holding ever called?

Slacks

So I'm watching games today and thinking about all the games the Horns play where we complain about bring held.

How does bonding ever get called? There is holding on every play. If OL couldn't hold, offensive numbers would go down. Same thing on defense. DBs hold on Damn near every play.

How does a ref decide, "That play was holding, but that others weren't"?

• Like 1

Seems to me to fall into two categories.  First is when a hold blatantly prevents the guy closest to the ball carrier from getting to him and is directly responsible for creating the hole.   Second is otherwise random ones that are called to influence the game in one team's favor. 

Seems to me to fall into two categories.  First is when a hold blatantly prevents the guy closest to the ball carrier from getting to him and is directly responsible for creating the hole.   Second is otherwise random ones that are called to influence the game in one team's favor. 
Even the first category is hardly ever called.

If the hands get outside the frame and the player being "held" goes down that will often get the flag.  What's stupid is we see all sorts of examples of a player working to fight through the hold (Orakpo is Lubbock in 08 for example) and nothing.  The result is the same, the player is being unfairly impeded but it doesn't seem like they often want to call unless somebody hits the deck.  

And then yes Mojo Hand point 2....when they do call something ticky tack on the backside of some run etc that had no impact on the play.  

• Like 1

The way refs are taught to call holding is a lot different than 10 years ago.  Outside hands don't matter anymore, grabbing doesn't matter anymore.

What will get called is a takedown, pulling, turning, or a hook.  If you are already engaged with a blocker, good luck.  It's really on the defender to disengage and force the issue.

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Holding away from the ball with no possible impact on the play should never be called.

No possible impact on the play huh? So a guy across the field never makes the tackle after ball carrier breaks a tackle?

Holding is holding. Apparently you really have to sell it to get calls but it's either when the hands are outside the front or as the defender disengages the Jersey is pulled. As long as it's called consistent for both sides, it's usually just to keep the obvious ones from happening over and over again when an O line is gassed and stops moving their feet.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Holding should be called way more often. If scoring drops then oh well, that's the way the game is supposed to be played. If it has basically any potential effect on the play it should be called.

If it was an actual enforced penalty the game would be coached to reflect that, but like PI, it’s not called a lot so it’s de facto part of the game with enough wiggle room for refs to be able to get their F-250S in either King Ranch or Platinum edition

11 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Come on. Rarely ever happens. Those guys that far away from the play give up and fake trotting down field.

I've watched it happen. The rules dont say shit about holding is allowed a certain distance from the ball, why would they allow it? Obviously dont call ticky tack ones away from the ball (Okie Lite 2015) but still a hold is a hold. Dudes chase down the ball and save touchdowns all the time. 

14 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Careful, 'head--your cynicism is showing. 

The way refs are taught to call holding is a lot different than 10 years ago.  Outside hands don't matter anymore, grabbing doesn't matter anymore.
What will get called is a takedown, pulling, turning, or a hook.  If you are already engaged with a blocker, good luck.  It's really on the defender to disengage and force the issue.

We have seen takedowns, turning, pulling, neck hooks also without flags.

Subjectivity in the application of the rules breeds opportunity for corruption and devalues the integrity of the game.  Refs should enforce the rules and rules should be changed if they are too draconian.  The rule should be clear enough that everyone can understand what is and isn't holding and refs should call it by the book.  This isn't the NBA.

13 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Holding should be called way more often. If scoring drops then oh well, that's the way the game is supposed to be played. If it has basically any potential effect on the play it should be called.

I agree.  But it'll happen right after ou gets the death penalty for cheating and covering for felons.  The NCAA just lets some things happen.

25 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Subjectivity in the application of the rules breeds opportunity for corruption and devalues the integrity of the game.  Refs should enforce the rules and rules should be changed if they are too draconian.  The rule should be clear enough that everyone can understand what is and isn't holding and refs should call it by the book.  This isn't the NBA.

I agree with this.

I think the definition of holding needs to be changed if we aren't going to enforce what's on the books. 

I like the idea of changing the rules to read something closer to this:

12 hours ago, JBJ said: