2017-18 Spurs Thread: Probably no buckets for Kawhi

Radical Larry

Manu: should retire when this season is over. Not because he sucks, but because he doesn't.
Tony: same as Manu. Do not wait until you're fucking useless.
Bertans: I don't know what they saw in that guy, but he looks useless at both ends of the court. GTFO.
Green is competent on defense but can't make a basket. I don't know what to do with him.
Patty is a defensive liability and a crapshoot on offense. GTFO.
Gasol is too old. GTFO.
Anderson: what is his strength? Leaning toward GTFO.
Murray: I don't know if he can become an elite point guard, but he's not one. He should be the backup PG on this team.
LMA: keep him
Gay: keep him
Kawhi: suit up or GTFO.

I think Murray will become elite. It may take another two years.

6 hours ago, Chad said:

Looking like yet another sweep at the hands of the Warriors. I'll be surprised to see Kawhi return for next season. Something is definitely wrong, the remarks made by Manu, Tony and Pop demonstrate this. My dream scenario : Trade Kawhi to Boston for Tatum/Brown and sign the Brow to a max. The Spurs would have a solid front court of LMA, The Brow and Tatum supplanted by Brown at SG and Murray at PG in the back court.

I want some of what you're smoking. 

We’re so inept from deep, I’ve actually found myself wishing we could reactivate Bonner. Can’t believe I wrote that...but I also can’t believe we’re such bad shooters.

Let’s consider the fact that it wasn’t Patty and Green that changed, but the system we asked them to work in. In the Beautiful game they got passes whipped to them for open looks and defenders caught in rotations. In the KL/LMA era we iso one side of the floor, we don’t cut so there is space in the block and then when LMA gets doubled he kicks it out to a covered shooter on a contested 3. I have actually been impressed with Green’s dribble drive progress this year.

It was borderline depressing to be there last night. It felt nothing like a playoff game. Terrible energy in the building. The team plays such disorganized basketball and even when they get good looks they can't throw it in the ocean. Then they get gashed on defense. I hate to use the analogy with what is going on with Pop, but it felt like a funeral. I really think this is the end, finally, of a 20 year unprecedented run.
But getting back to actual basketball, I don't understand the Spurs strategy at all. Golden State is essentially trotting out 5 wings out there. They don't have a point guard. Here's a fucking idea: make one of those assholes who isn't used to bringing up the ball play against some pressure. Patty Mills can't guard in anybody in that starting lineup so instead of letting Klay Thompson abuse him on the block, have him press. Or use Dejounte Murray to press. Worst case scenario it makes them run some clock and burn some energy and gets them out of their comfort zone.

There is a reason no one in the NBA presses. Teams are too good at breaking pressure at this level, and the GSWs are smart and great passers. It would be ugly; we just don’t have the athletes to compete - it’s not a strategy issue.

2 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Let’s consider the fact that it wasn’t Patty and Green that changed, but the system we asked them to work in. In the Beautiful game they got passes whipped to them for open looks and defenders caught in rotations. In the KL/LMA era we iso one side of the floor, we don’t cut so there is space in the block and then when LMA gets doubled he kicks it out to a covered shooter on a contested 3. I have actually been impressed with Green’s dribble drive progress this year.

What you say may be true, but still the spurs get plenty good looks from three, and they miss most of them.

11 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Green has made some progress with his interior and midrange offense. But he just hasn’t been in any decent rhythm on treys. Even when wide open he often misses badly. We can’t afford that, given our offensive deficiencies. 

Mills is so sporadic, and I think too big a defensive liability as the team is now constructed.