2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We like you.... just not better than anyone on our roster.  But if someone gets hurt!!!!  You're our guy.

Every single time Melo becomes available, it "slips" out that whatever team LeBron is on is interested, with nothing ever actually happening.

Just a friend doing a friend a solid to try to drive up interest...without actually having to play with him.

Just now, aggie08 said:

Every single time Melo becomes available, it "slips" out that whatever team LeBron is on is interested, with nothing ever actually happening.

Just a friend doing a friend a solid to try to drive up interest...without actually having to play with him.

Sometimes its not good to work with your friends.   Similar to working with a spouse.   Bron found that out in the 2nd go round with Wade.   Doubt he makes the same mistake with Melo.   Unless Melo just wants to go along for the ride at the end of the bench.

On 1/14/2019 at 10:52 AM, ztejas said:

I'm not sure what LeBron's plan is going to be for the rest of this season. Is he going to rush back and risk his health so this team can get shellacked in the first round? As for trades - I'm not really seeing anything that would pull a 180 for this team. I doubt New Orleans is moving AD. I guess they could go after Kemba or Vucevic but how much better does that make this team considering they would likely have to ship two of their young rotation players?

Lowe had a similar take to this in his All-Star Ballot piece. He thinks the Lakers could get Vu with KCP and a 1st rounder but concedes that they might want more. I think it would look something more like KCP and one of Ball/Kuz/Ingram/Zubac.

"Can we somehow get Vucevic on the Lakers? They could use more shooting and another upgrade at center. Vucevic checks both boxes! (The Lakers know they had Brook Lopez last season, right?)

The only realistic deal would be Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and a first-round pick for Vucevic. The Magic may want more; Vucevic just turned 28, and going all-in on a Mo Bamba-Jonathan Isaac frontcourt means full-on tanking. That sounds palatable until you remember Orlando hasn't been relevant since 2012. Also: Caldwell-Pope and LeBron share an agent, and the Lakers might be saving their assets for bigger things."

Pretty good read if anyone is interested: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25818304/zach-lowe-2019-nba-all-star-starters-reserve-picks

Edited by ztejas
Oh and on the Melo shit: Melo is done. We can discuss this hilariously complicated 3, now 4 team deal but his career is irrelevant at this point.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Lowe had a similar take to this in his All-Star Ballot piece. He thinks the Lakers could get Vu with KCP and a 1st rounder but concedes that they might want more. I think it would look something more like KCP and one of Ball/Kuz/Ingram/Zubac.

"Can we somehow get Vucevic on the Lakers? They could use more shooting and another upgrade at center. Vucevic checks both boxes! (The Lakers know they had Brook Lopez last season, right?)

The only realistic deal would be Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and a first-round pick for Vucevic. The Magic may want more; Vucevic just turned 28, and going all-in on a Mo Bamba-Jonathan Isaac frontcourt means full-on tanking. That sounds palatable until you remember Orlando hasn't been relevant since 2012. Also: Caldwell-Pope and LeBron share an agent, and the Lakers might be saving their assets for bigger things."

Pretty good read if anyone is interested: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25818304/zach-lowe-2019-nba-all-star-starters-reserve-picks

As a Magic fan, I say cash in on Vucevic before he leaves this summer.    I would want an actual asset not just a pick (do the Lakers even have a tradaeble pick?).     I was really hoping we were in an Dennis Smith Jr trade talks.   I think DSJ with Bamba, Isaac and AG is pretty nice young core.   With a good bounce in the lottery it could be a really nice team next season.   I'm never for tanking but they aren't gonna win that many more games with Vucevic than w/o him.   Having him isn't gonna make the team any more relevant any sooner.

Edited by d2o

Additionally, I would test the market on Terrence Ross.    He is having career yr and balling!!!!...............coincidentally (not) when he is up for a contract.   I'm not buying.   Let someone else pay him.   If we can get something for him now, I'm good with that.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I would hope the Magic feel they can do a little better than a 20 something pick for Vucevic.  Maybe they can't but that offer seems weak to me.

4 minutes ago, d2o said:

Additionally, I would test the market on Terrence Ross.    He is having career yr and balling!!!!...............coincidentally (not) when he is up for a contract.   I'm not buying.   Let someone else pay him.   If we can get something for him now, I'm good with that.

I've read they're shopping just about everyone including Vuc, Ross, DJA, Simmons and Mosgov's contract.  They're only a few games out of the 8 spot but understand they need another year of rebuilding.

Just now, ztejas said:

Yes. They own all of their picks with the exception of the 2nd round in 2019 which they may or may not have a pick in. 

Ok, I know they traded away so many the last few yrs I wasn't sure if they had any they could trade.

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

20 something? Lakers ain't even in the playoffs right now. That could be a lottery pick. 

They aren't but I still believe they will be.  Rondo comes back on Thursday, Lebron probably on Sunday.  They have a tough road ahead but I see them making a bottom 4 seed and as long as it's not the 8 seed, then they could win a series.  Also, Lowe didn't say which year the pick would be.  Vuc is a pretty decent player, I'd want something a little better than a volatile pick in the bottom half of the draft.  I agree with D2o, a younger asset coming back from a team charging to the playoffs plus a pick would be a goal.  Even Lowe admits the Magic may not be interested the Lakers pick.

15 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Vuc is a pretty decent player, I'd want something a little better than a volatile pick in the bottom half of the draft.  I agree with D2o, a younger asset coming back from a team charging to the playoffs plus a pick would be a goal.  Even Lowe admits the Magic may not be interested the Lakers pick.

Lowe proposed KCP and the 1st. My original take was that it would require 2 young assets - regardless of draft pick. Only point I'm making is that their 2019 first rounder could end up being in the lottery. On that note...

16 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

They have a tough road ahead but I see them making a bottom 4 seed and as long as it's not the 8 seed, then they could win a series.

Curious who you see them jumping and who you think they could beat in the first round. I think the top 4 are all locks for the playoffs. I don't think they catch the Jazz going into the 2nd half of the season. I would be surprised if they catch the Rockets seeing as HOU can only get better and healthier as the season goes on (barring a Harden injury).

Most likely scenario they will battle it out with the Spurs and Clippers for the 7th or 8th seed. 8th seed like you said is death. I'd expect the Ws to sweep them. If DEN stays at #2 that is probably a slower, less painful death but death nonetheless. I don't think LAL has the experience to handle this Nuggets team playing in Denver 4 times. 

So, were I to put money on it, the only scenario I see for them sneaking into the 2nd round would be Portland somehow taking the 2 seed - Lakers wind up at 7 and LeBron makes them his bitch. He could probably pull that off against POR methinks - I doubt he could do it against DEN. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Lowe proposed KCP and the 1st. My original take was that it would require 2 young assets - regardless of draft pick. Only point I'm making is that their 2019 first rounder could end up being in the lottery. On that note...

Curious who you see them jumping and who you think they could beat in the first round. I think the top 4 are all locks for the playoffs. I don't think they catch the Jazz going into the 2nd half of the season. I would be surprised if they catch the Rockets seeing as HOU can only get better and healthier as the season goes on (barring a Harden injury).

Most likely scenario they will battle it out with the Spurs and Clippers for the 7th or 8th seed. 8th seed like you said is death. I'd expect the Ws to sweep them. If DEN stays at #2 that is probably a slower, less painful death but death nonetheless. I don't think LAL has the experience to handle this Nuggets team playing in Denver 4 times. 

So, were I to put money on it, the only scenario I see for them sneaking into the 2nd round would be Portland somehow taking the 2 seed - Lakers wind up at 7 and LeBron makes them his bitch. He could probably pull that off against POR methinks - I doubt he could do it against DEN. 

Meh, I could see them/him beating DEN.      Admittedly, I think DEN is just a good reg season story at this point.   I have zero faith in them in the playoffs.   They have no real playoff experience among their core guys.   Think ATL/TOR from the last few yrs.

Edited by d2o

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

How about this for a spicy take: I don't think LeBron is one of the 3 best players in the Western Conference right now. 

Well he isn't actually playing so...............when he was he had that ragtag group in the 4 spot in the west.

Edited by d2o

32 minutes ago, d2o said:

Meh, I could see them/him beating DEN.  

Really? LeBron should have lost to the Pacers in the first round last season. This Denver team is in a completely different tier and has the best HCA in the league as always. 

Barring a major trade for the Lakers I think the Nuggets would handle them easily. And ironically LAL is playing about as good right now as they were with LeBron. I find that at least somewhat interesting. 

48 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Do what now?

Do I need to follow the NBA for you? They handled Chicago, went on the road and beat OKC, and took HOU to OT (in a game they should have won). They looked decent against the Ws last night too, but you know, Warriors. 

Edited by ztejas

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Do I need to follow the NBA for you? They handled Chicago, went on the road and beat OKC, and took HOU to OT (in a game they should have won). They looked decent against the Ws last night too, but you know, Warriors. 

Cool.

They're still 5-9 without him.

They also "handled" the Bulls (the 2nd worst team in the league) by 7 points a couple of nights after losing to the worst team in the league, Cleveland, at home.  They suck.  A win against the Jeckyll and Hyde Thunder and almost beating a completely depleted Rockets team doesn't change that.

Edited by aggie08

Is it too much to ask to go a page on this thread before someone needlessly inserts themselves into a discussion without knowing what they're talking about or bringing any valuable contribution or insight to the table? 

But thank you, Mark Jackson. I'm talking about their recent stretch of games. And like I said, I find it interesting that they are playing like a playoff team without LeBron. The recent Cavs teams never did this. It's not like they were some world-beater with him on the court. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

They could jump any of the teams seeded 3-8 in the conference currently.  The Lakers are in the 9 seed because Lebron got hurt, that simple.  CP3 and Capela got hurt for Houston, so you see them falling in the standings a tad.  The point is, injuries will affect how the standings turn out, the Lakers experienced a huge set back with Lebron getting hurt, along with Rondo and now Lonzo Ball.  Other teams can and will have impactful injuries so I have no idea who will fall but IMO the most vulnerable teams to fall out of the playoff picture if an injury or two befell them would be LAC, SAS, and Hou, if they have anymore injuries.  All things being equal?  I think the Lakers take over the Clippers spot.  They could beat any team but the Warriors in the first round.  I'm not saying I would take them, but if they played OKC or Portland, would you put your life on those teams?  I wouldn't, not with a healthy Lebron..... if Lebron gets hurt again, then the Lakers will miss the playoffs so health is such an important and fragile thing, especially in the last half.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

How about this for a spicy take: I don't think LeBron is one of the 3 best players in the Western Conference right now. 

Who do you have above a healthy Lebron and I'm sure a few people will tell you why you're wrong.

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'm not saying I would take them, but if they played OKC or Portland, would you put your life on those teams?

Absolutely not. Like I said, I think their best chance at making the 2nd round would be grabbing the 7th spot and upsetting a 2 seeded Blazers or Thunder team, but I suppose they could also grab the 6 seed and get a more favorable matchup that way. 

I would put a decent amount of money on a healthy Nuggets team over them - assuming LAL is playing without HCA.

And I think Curry, KD and Harden have all played better ball this season and Jokic and Davis are playing at a very, very high level. LeBron hasn't done that much to separate himself from the pack imo. I don't think he can play (all*) 82 games and carry a team in the playoffs anymore. That ship is sailing. Hence why I wonder how hard he's going to push this Lakers team this year, physically he might be better off with his first long off-season in awhile. 

Edited by ztejas

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Is it too much to ask to go a page on this thread before someone needlessly inserts themselves into a discussion without knowing what they're talking about or bringing any valuable contribution or insight to the table? 

But thank you, Mark Jackson. I'm talking about their recent stretch of games. And like I said, I find it interesting that they are playing like a playoff team without LeBron. The recent Cavs teams never did this. It's not like they were some world-beater with him on the court. 

Dude, what are you even talking about?  Sure, I guess if you isolate a 3-game stretch, they played decently.  They beat the Bulls, OKC (a team that's 7-8 over their last 15 games with losses to Minnesota twice, Washington, and Atlanta mixed in), and they blew a huge lead to a completely depleted Houston team.  Congrats?  Everything around those 3 games has been trash (which pains me because I like Luke Walton, but his seat is burning up).  They have played nowhere near like a playoff team at any point without LeBron.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Absolutely not. Like I said, I think their best chance at making the 2nd round would be grabbing the 7th spot and upsetting a 2 seeded Blazers or Thunder team, but I suppose they could also grab the 6 seed and get a more favorable matchup that way. 

I would put a decent amount of money on a healthy Nuggets team over them - assuming LAL is playing without HCA.

And I think Curry, KD and Harden have all played better ball this season and Jokic and Davis are playing at a very, very high level. LeBron hasn't done that much to separate himself from the pack imo. I don't think he can play (all*) 82 games and carry a team in the playoffs anymore. That ship is sailing. Hence why I wonder how hard he's going to push this Lakers team this year, physically he might be better off with his first long off-season in awhile. 

Didn't he literally do this last season?  And not just to the playoffs but the Finals... And you chose 3 guys who literally have never done what you hold Lebron to, mainly because they've never played an entire season. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Sure, I guess if you isolate a 3-game stretch, they played decently.

They've been playing "decently" all season. They are 20-16 with LeBron. That sounds like a team that beats crappy teams, beats good teams occasionally (I don't care what OKC's trend is - that is a good road win), sometimes blows leads and can't hang with actual elite teams. Where is this Lakers team with LeBron that is winning 55 games and a threat to make a WCF run? Are you telling me they are decent without LeBron and slightly above decent with him? Thanks. That was my original point. I'm questioning why LeBron isn't elevating their play like he has done with teams in the past.  

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Didn't he literally do this last season?  And not just to the playoffs but the Finals...

Yes that's kind of my point. I think that took a toll on him. I don't think he can keep playing that many minutes with 27/7/7 production at his age. 

And okay, they made the Finals, that was incredible - I would never deny that. They really should have lost in the first round and were just as close to losing in the ECF. That was not a typical LeBron Finals team and they got smoked when they got there (give them game 1 if you want, I think it would have been 4-1).

I think the current Lakers would have a better record if you replaced LeBron with any of the 3 I mentioned so far this season. I mean Harden is basically doing that on the Rockets right now. 

I didn't expect anyone to agree with me, just wanted to throw it out there. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They've been playing "decently" all season. They are 20-16 with LeBron. That sounds like a team that beats crappy teams, beats good teams occasionally (I don't care what OKC's trend is - that is a good road win), sometimes blows leads and can't hang with actual elite teams. Where is this Lakers team with LeBron that is winning 55 games and a threat to make a WCF run? Are you telling me they are decent without LeBron and slightly above decent with him? Thanks. That was my original point. I'm questioning why LeBron isn't elevating their play like he has done with teams in the past.  

They're 20-14 with LeBron.  Not great, but pretty close to a lock for the playoffs with a healthy LeBron all season.  And a decent shot at home court in the first round with GS and Denver being the only two teams that have removed themselves from the Western Conference logjam. 

You didn't say they were playing "decently" without LeBron (they're not even doing that, really).  You said that they were playing "as good right now as the were with LeBron" and "like a playoff team."  Both of which are laughable, so now you're trying to walk it back.  Continue.

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

they have a .588 winning percentage in the games lebron james has played this year.

they have a .357 winning percentage in the games lebron james has not played this year.

what the fuck are you talking about?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

they have a .588 winning percentage in the games lebron james has played this year.

they have a .357 winning percentage in the games lebron james has not played this year.

what the fuck are you talking about?

I'm trying to discuss their recent stretch of play - not the entire season. 

I made a comment some pages back about that Bulls game being a must win and how 1-2 over the @OKC, @HOU, GS stretch would be a good result.

They beat the Bulls and got their win - and should have had two. 

No shit they are better with LeBron. The team that we have seen over the past 4 games is playing at a similar level to where they were when LeBron was on the court.

My bottom line on LeBron honestly is that I doubt many other players in the NBA could have done better with this Lakers roster than he has for the time and specific games he has played this year.  Maybe Harden for a hot stretch because the sample size is small enough to account for that scenario and he has a past history of carrying a team offensively by himself.  Both Curry and Durant are harder to say for me because they have never in their career had to carry an extreme load or iffy roster like LeBron and Harden have in the past, but maybe it's possible.    

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

They're 20-14 with LeBron.  Not great, but pretty close to a lock for the playoffs with a healthy LeBron all season.  And a decent shot at home court in the first round with GS and Denver being the only two teams that have removed themselves from the Western Conference logjam. 

You didn't say they were playing "decently" without LeBron (they're not even doing that, really).  You said that they were playing "as good right now as the were with LeBron" and "like a playoff team."  Both of which are laughable, so now you're trying to walk it back.  Continue.

I'm not walking anything back - you're changing what I said - which is always a phenomenal debate strategy. 

I said they are playing ABOUT as well* over the past 4 games as they were with LeBron and I find that interesting. If you look at what happened to the Cavs when LeBron sat it was a fucking disaster. Handling the Bulls, winning @OKC and blowing a late lead @HOU is not a disaster - that is largely competent basketball. 

I question the effect that LeBron is having/has had on a lot of these young player's development and their ceilings accordingly. Obviously they are better when LeBron is on the court because he's LeBron fucking James - that doesn't mean they are making progress in the right direction or in any discernible direction at all. 

Here are the last 10 games the Lakers played with LeBron:

@SAS L -13

@MEM W +23

MIA W +3

@HOU L -15

@CHO W +28

@WAS L -18

@BRK L -5

NOP W +8

MEM L -8

@GSW W +26

That's .500 basketball. Against a pretty ho-hum schedule. 

Of the Laker's 9 losses without LeBron, 5 came in the first 6 games. Since then they are 4-4. 

That is also.... .500 basketball. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I'm trying to discuss their recent stretch of play - not the entire season. 

I made a comment some pages back about that Bulls game being a must win and how 1-2 over the @OKC, @HOU, GS stretch would be a good result.

They beat the Bulls and got their win - and should have had two. 

No shit they are better with LeBron. The team that we have seen over the past 4 games is playing at a similar level to where they were when LeBron was on the court.

Dude no they aren’t. Just give it up. What you’re saying is clearly, factually untrue. They are not playing anywhere near the level they play when Lebron is on the floor. Honestly what are you talking about?

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Actually with Lebron they were playing like a team that would be a top 4/5 seed. Without him they are missing the playoffs. Why are you having so much trouble with this?

Exactly. Saying they weren't a playoff team without Lebron is just not true. Would that trend have continued? Who knows. But at the time of his injury, they were a pretty solid team. No question about it. They are pretty bad without him.

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. Saying they weren't a playoff team without Lebron is just not true. Would that trend have continued? Who knows. But at the time of his injury, they were a pretty solid team. No question about it. They are pretty bad without him.

Exactly. I would wager based on Lebrons career that a healthy Bron means they continued playing at that level most of the year. It’s not as though we don’t have evidence of Lebron carrying teams to the playoffs. I dunno why it’s so hard to just admit that Bron is the only thing keeping that team out of the lottery

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

It’s not as though we don’t have evidence of Lebron carrying teams to the playoffs. I dunno why it’s so hard to just admit that Bron is the only thing keeping that team out of the lottery

Yeah. Plenty evidence of him doing that in the East. I don't think they miss the playoffs but the West - especially this season - is a different animal.

16 hours ago, Chad said:

Anyone that wasn't a Rockets fan knew that Melo was going to flop after the OKC debacle (That was totally on Russ and PG). Talking about a roller coaster decline dating back to last season, it wasn't even gradual. I was never a fan of Melo, he was nothing more than a ball stops here volume shooter with a shitty attitude who failed to win anything of significance during his NBA career. Last season was a clear indication he was washed up, I'll be surprised if any teams bother kicking the tires on that bum. 

Do you think he’ll have a press conference to officially retire? That’ll be funny for him to hold one at a hotel because no team wants his stank in their building. My guess is he just doesn’t do anything for 2 years, no team calls for a 10 day contract, he announces his retirement to no fanfare just before the 2020 season begins. 

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Been rumored for awhile and I hate it for the small market Memphis but I remember saying when they signed him to it, that Mike Conley deal is rotten for them.  Now, they almost had to do it but it was going to a rough one to take.  The real death stroke was the Parsons contract which I still have no idea why they did it.  That's a multi-year rebuild b/c of those two contracts.  Really interested what bad money they'd have to take back for Conley.  Maybe do a deal with another bad organization like Vuc, DJA and Mozgov for Conley with Orlando.

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

With all the illegal screens that the Warriors typically get away with, I find that one rather innocuous. It's almost like using your arms to help block out on a free throw.

Pretty sure he was just looking for an excuse to post the video.

Coach Kerr was pretty funny giving Steph a rough time post game, though. Saying that he thought Steph would just going to do lay the ball in then pull the rim down a little to make it look like he dunked.

Pretty much my go to move in lay-up lines.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Pretty sure he was just looking for an excuse to post the video.

Coach Kerr was pretty funny giving Steph a rough time post game, though. Saying that he thought Steph would just going to do lay the ball in then pull the rim down a little to make it look like he dunked.

Pretty much my go to move in lay-up lines.

The old "drop and pull"