2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Another game, another record for Harden.

He's been playing out of his mind, but this is a record which should never be approached.  He was 10 of 15 from inside the arc, but continued to jack up 3's?  Gotta have better game awareness.  I get it that his game is predicated on the 3 and shooters shoot, but there needs to be a point where he realizes he just doesn't have the touch.  Guess not.  Still scored 30+ but lost the game to a punchless Magic team.  Should bounce back tonight on a b2b.

Such a dangerous game of chicken for the Lakers.  Utah has seemingly shaken off their rough start and solidly in the playoff picture now.  Think I read the Lakers have the 2nd toughest schedule the ROS with a banged up Lebron.  I think they'll get in the playoffs and they'll probably trade KCP by the deadline but if they don't make anymore moves, hard to see the Lakers doing much.  Maybe pushing a series deep or winning one, but I can't trust them to play enough defense to make a legit run.  Then.... the fun part starts.  The summer.  

I see so many talk about how hard it is to play with Russ.   Isn' t Harden the same thing just with a better shot?     The Rockets have MANY possessions every game where Harden dribbles up top for 5-10 secs then steps back and shoots his three.    I'm not sure about you but that doesn't seem fun to play with.

The Lakers are treading very dangerous water right now. I'm not sure how much longer they can survive with LeBron out. 

Tomorrow against the Bulls is a must win game and that is without LeBron. Their next three are @OKC, @HOU, GSW, which could easily be 0-3. 1-2 would be a good result over those three. 

I'm not sure what LeBron's plan is going to be for the rest of this season. Is he going to rush back and risk his health so this team can get shellacked in the first round? As for trades - I'm not really seeing anything that would pull a 180 for this team. I doubt New Orleans is moving AD. I guess they could go after Kemba or Vucevic but how much better does that make this team considering they would likely have to ship two of their young rotation players?

Edited by ztejas

18 minutes ago, d2o said:

Only one I can see falling out is the Clips.    I don't think the Pels get in.

LAC so seem to be the most likely candidate.  But they play hard, tough, and smart every night, so they beat the teams who don't come ready to play.  They're discount San Antonio.  But yeah, lack of talent probably catches up to them at some point.

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The Lakers are treading very dangerous water right now. I'm not sure how much longer they can survive with LeBron out. 

Tomorrow against the Bulls is a must win game and that is without LeBron. Their next three are @OKC, @HOU, GSW, which could easily be 0-3. 1-2 would be a good result over those three. 

I'm not sure what LeBron's plan is going to be for the rest of this season. Is he going to rush back and risk his health so this team can get shellacked in the first round? As for trades - I'm not really seeing anything that would pull a 180 for this team. I doubt New Orleans is moving AD. I guess they could go after Kemba or Vucevic but how much better does that make this team considering they would likely have to ship two of their young rotation players?

If they try and trade for Kemba, then they'd have to trade one of their big 3 pieces and it would undercut a prospective package for AD this summer.  That's always been the difficult part for he Lakers, do they trade their youth for a superstar now or try and add one to their existing pieces.  Their waiting has already cost them Randle, will they ever pull the trigger?  If they don't get AD or Kawhi, what do they do?  Overpay for Dame?  Overpay for Porzingis?  Interesting times.

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If they try and trade for Kemba, then they'd have to trade one of their big 3 pieces and it would undercut a prospective package for AD this summer.  That's always been the difficult part for he Lakers, do they trade their youth for a superstar now or try and add one to their existing pieces.  Their waiting has already cost them Randle, will they ever pull the trigger?  If they don't get AD or Kawhi, what do they do?  Overpay for Dame?  Overpay for Porzingis?  Interesting times.

Whatever they do I hope they fuck it up and never contend with LeBron.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He's been playing out of his mind, but this is a record which should never be approached.  He was 10 of 15 from inside the arc, but continued to jack up 3's?  Gotta have better game awareness.  I get it that his game is predicated on the 3 and shooters shoot, but there needs to be a point where he realizes he just doesn't have the touch.  Guess not.  Still scored 30+ but lost the game to a punchless Magic team.  Should bounce back tonight on a b2b.

I feel like I make this post half a dozen times a season, but the pull-up 3 is such a cruel mistress.  What Harden has done so far this season has been absurd.  He's shooting 38% on a comical 11.9 pull-up 3's a game (he took less than 8 per game during his MVP season).  That's over twice as many as the next most attempts per game (Kemba at 5.9).  Only seven guys are attempting more than 4 per game; among those, Harden only trails Steph (44%) in accuracy, and I can promise you that Steph wouldn't be shooting 44% if he was taking 12 of them per game.  It's a hard fucking shot, and Harden is--last night not withstanding--making it his bitch.  

...but it's also the first thing that abandons him in the postseason.  Harden on pull-up 3's the past five playoffs: 31%, 29%, 28%, 36%, 25%.  If you told me that Harden was going to shoot >37% on his pull-ups this postseason, I'd bet my house on Houston.  The math would be nearly insurmountable on a shot that he can literally get at any time.  But history has shown that those attempts, for whatever reason, get even tougher in playoff basketball.  The defense tightens, sure, but it's not like they're doubling him at the top of the key, and he can create space on anyone with his handle and liberal interpretation of the rules.  I hate the "tired legs" excuse that D'Antoni occasionally throws out there, but there might be merit to it.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Such a dangerous game of chicken for the Lakers.  Utah has seemingly shaken off their rough start and solidly in the playoff picture now.  Think I read the Lakers have the 2nd toughest schedule the ROS with a banged up Lebron.  I think they'll get in the playoffs and they'll probably trade KCP by the deadline but if they don't make anymore moves, hard to see the Lakers doing much.  Maybe pushing a series deep or winning one, but I can't trust them to play enough defense to make a legit run.  Then.... the fun part starts.  The summer.  

It's kind of fitting he tied Kobe's record while jacking up that many ill advised shots.  

Harden also played 43 minutes this game, which is a bit higher than usual because they had a short rotation. That may have been due to the entire bench scoring only 7 points. Pretty bad, but it happens. 

12 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I feel like I make this post half a dozen times a season, but the pull-up 3 is such a cruel mistress.  What Harden has done so far this season has been absurd.  He's shooting 38% on 11.9 pull-up 3's a game.  That's over twice as many as the next most attempts per game (Kemba at 5.9).  Only seven guys are attempting more than 4 per game; among those, Harden only trails Steph (44%) in accuracy, and I can promise you that Steph wouldn't be shooting 44% if he was taking 12 of them per game.  It's a hard fucking shot, and Harden is--last night not withstanding--making it his bitch.  

...but it's also the first thing that abandons him in the postseason.  Harden on pull-up 3's the past five playoffs: 31%, 29%, 28%, 36%, 25%.  If you told me that Harden was going to shoot >37% on his pull-ups this postseason, I'd bet my house on Houston.  The math would be nearly insurmountable on a shot that he can literally get at any time.  But history has shown that those attempts, for whatever reason, get even tougher in playoff basketball.  The defense tightens, sure, but it's not like they're doubling him at the top of the key, and he can create space on anyone with his handle and liberal interpretation of the rules.  I hate the "tired legs" excuse that D'Antoni occasionally throws out there, but there might be merit to it.

In the playoffs.... teams are more prepared and play better overall defense and play tendencies much stronger.  But also. Harden doesn't get bailed out as much by the refs.  Not saying he doesn't get calls, but the launching or leaning into defenders doesn't get as many calls.  It may only be 2 or 3 per game, but it matters because most of those end up misses.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, d2o said:

I see so many talk about how hard it is to play with Russ.   Isn' t Harden the same thing just with a better shot?     The Rockets have MANY possessions every game where Harden dribbles up top for 5-10 secs then steps back and shoots his three.    I'm not sure about you but that doesn't seem fun to play with.

I'm sure it's fun when they're winning at a high level.  And I'm sure it's fun being Clint Capela.  If their early season malaise had continued longer, I would bet that guys would have grown pretty tired of the James Harden nightly dribbling exhibition.  But winning is a great elixir.  Besides, guys like PJ Tucker, while not getting to actively participate in running the offense, still take more shots than their career average and get to hoist five 3's a game.  EG and Gerald Green get to chuck up 9 and 6 threes, respectively, every game guilt free.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

They're currently the 8 seed, but I think Utah, currently #9, is a playoff team.  They have the point differential of a 4 seed, and Donovan Mitchell looks to be heating up finally.  I also think that New Orleans will improve for no other reason than they have to.  So that means one or two current playoff teams would have to slide out.  

Utah had a brutal schedule to begin the season. 16 of their first 24 were on the road, which is bizarre to me. It wouldn't be surprising for them to make a big run this month. They have 3 different 4-game home stands in January and have won the first three games of the first home stand. I think they are a lock for the playoffs barring injury and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they had homecourt advantage in the first round.

Those should be good games but I agree 100%   Not having MIL/TOR/DEN in any of those matchups is a massive failure.   But then again, those Sat night games are almost strictly for casual fans.    So it will be nothing but big market teams or teams with very well established stars.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm sitting in a taco cabana watching The Jump because that's what's on TV. 

I can't decide who annoys me more between Rachel Nichols, Tracy McGrady and Scottie Pippen. 

Well at least Paul Pierce isn't on today

3 hours ago, d2o said:

Those should be good games but I agree 100%   Not having MIL/TOR/DEN in any of those matchups is a massive failure.   But then again, those Sat night games are almost strictly for casual fans.    So it will be nothing but big market teams or teams with very well established stars.

Meh. They have years of data showing that no one watches Toronto even when they're good, and Kawhi isn't exactly marketable. 

Denver missed the playoffs last year, and Milwaukee underachieved and were a horrible watch. Obviously, anyone with any basketball sense could guess that the former would improve with experience and health, and the latter just needed something resembling an actual coach. But the networks aren't in the prediction business; they're in the ratings business, so they want the sure thing

Finish the year with 60 wins, have an impressive showing in the Finals or conference finals, and keep all of your best players, and they'll find more time for you in 2020.

4 hours ago, d2o said:

I agree, they should play a bunch of games against each other on the Players Only broadcast so I don't have to watch my team with those terrible announcers. 

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Meh. They have years of data showing that no one watches Toronto even when they're good, and Kawhi isn't exactly marketable. 

Denver missed the playoffs last year, and Milwaukee underachieved and were a horrible watch. Obviously, anyone with any basketball sense could guess that the former would improve with experience and health, and the latter just needed something resembling an actual coach. But the networks aren't in the prediction business; they're in the ratings business, so they want the sure thing

Finish the year with 60 wins, have an impressive showing in the Finals or conference finals, and keep all of your best players, and they'll find more time for you in 2020.

Ummm then put then matched up with these bandwagon teams people love to watch i.e. the Warriors and Lakers. Problem solved. People are going to tune in to see those teams. Why do we need to see them play each other constantly?

And what does Denver missing the playoffs last year have anything to do with this season? That kind of logic would mean Cavs should be on national tv a lot this year because they went to 4 straight Finals. This year, Denver is a top team in the West right now. But we get to watch the same recycled matchups over and over. It's the same as the MLB in the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Cardinals on their primetime games on ESPN. It gets old.

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

And what does Denver missing the playoffs last year have anything to do with this season? That kind of logic would mean Cavs should be on national tv a lot this year because they went to 4 straight Finals. This year, Denver is a top team in the West right now.

It's almost like they make these schedules in August and have to do so with the information at hand, right?

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Why not showcase a few other teams besides these? Maybe like Toronto, Denver and Milwaukee. All of which have young, exciting players.

Capture.png

i agree. watching the same teams gets tedious, and guys like Jokic, Kawhi, and Freak need to be seen, not to mention guys like Lowry, Brogdon, Barton, etc.

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Why not showcase a few other teams besides these? Maybe like Toronto, Denver and Milwaukee. All of which have young, exciting players.

Capture.png

i agree. watching the same teams gets tedious, and guys like Jokic, Kawhi, and Freak need to be seen, not to mention guys like Lowry, Brogdon, Barton, etc.

11 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

fify.  And pace of play plus more 3's and good shooting....

Rep for prison ball. 

Ws get Cousins on Friday, and this is after absolutely embarrassing Denver on their home court. It was fun while it lasted. I've watched a lot less ball this year, probably because this shit is a foregone conclusion. 

Someone needs to inception Kevin Durant and get him to break up this team to craft his own legacy. Once they figure out how Cousins works in the rotation it's going to be disgusting.

I know that the players pretend that they don't care, but it's going to be brutal trying to make 1st team ALL-NBA this year. Barring injury, Steph and Harden are locked in at the guards, but Embiid and Davis will have to fight for the center spot, and one of Gianni, KD, and LeBron won't make it on. Maybe two if Jokic gets Denver the #1 seed.

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I know that the players pretend that they don't care, but it's going to be brutal trying to make 1st team ALL-NBA this year. Barring injury, Steph and Harden are locked in at the guards, but Embiid and Davis will have to fight for the center spot, and one of Gianni, KD, and LeBron won't make it on. Maybe two if Jokic gets Denver the #1 seed.

Oh. And Paul George. The 2nd team will legitimately be able to give the 1st team a game. Dudes are having some ridiculous years.

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If the season ended today LeBron should be left off, but I'm not sure if voters will actually do that or not. Giannis deserves it 100% and Durant should be a lock - he's started every game and is posting 28/7/6 on .630 TS% on the best team in the West. 

Slighting Durant off of the first team again is the last thing anyone needs going into the playoffs. Worked out really well for the Spurs in 2016 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

It it's just first half of the season, the All-NBA team should be:

Dame, Harden, Giannis, KD, and Davis

2nd team:

Curry, Irving, PG, Kawhi, and maybe Gobert (over 5% blk rate and 22+ TRB%), but could easily go with Jokic.

But yea, crazy year.... I mean that's no Lebron!  It would be between him and Kawhi.  That's nuts as Kawhi is a MVP candidate but they both miss a lot of games.