2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

Today's players are so unbelievably talented. It's amazing. Players from the 80's may as well be George Mikan and Bob Cousy at this point. Imagine if pro basketball is still a thing 100 years from now...200 years from now...fuckin 500 years from now!?! What do players look like 150 years after Giannis? 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Pretty sure that Harden, me, Derka, Steve Kerr today, and the old dude from 24 Hour Fitness could field a top 5 NBA regular season offense.

Austin Rivers was the only other dude out there all night with even a hint of being able to create his own shot.

Edited by aggie08

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Pretty sure that Harden, me, Derka, Steve Kerr today, and the old dude from 24 Hour Fitness could field a top 5 NBA regular season offense.

Austin Rivers was the only other dude out there all night with even a hint of being able to create his own shot.

Harden's step back is approaching "all time" status, like Kareem's hook shot, MJ's pull up mid range, the fade away shots of MJ, Kobe, and Dirk, TD using the glass, Stockton and Malone with the PnR, etc. It's a thing of beauty. His moves are some of the most subtle i've ever seen. It's not a bunch of moving parts and herky jerky cuts, it's just lighting quick, and even the best defenders in the game find themselves consistently lost. I'm talking step backs, crossovers, hesitation moves, dribble drives, you name it. He's just fast twitch everything, and because of that I'd venture to say that his practice repetitions more closely resemble his game reps than any other player. He can practice alone and it's the same as if he's being guarded by Draymond.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

49408018_2467205693326172_23365986515450

1. IT wouldn't know a championship if it bit him in the ass.

2. Kawhi didn't win shit for the Spurs he won a championship with the Spurs.

So yes, thank you Kawhi for playing well in a Finals series. You could have tried to take the Spurs to another Finals appearance and really won one FOR us but you didn't, so go fuck yourself and find a frozen pole to stick your dick on in Canada. 

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Today's players are so unbelievably talented. It's amazing. Players from the 80's may as well be George Mikan and Bob Cousy at this point. Imagine if pro basketball is still a thing 100 years from now...200 years from now...fuckin 500 years from now!?! What do players look like 150 years after Giannis? 

@ztejas i don't mind being negged when it makes sense; why would you neg this and then not respond to it? genuinely confused. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

1. IT wouldn't know a championship if it bit him in the ass.

2. Kawhi didn't win shit for the Spurs he won a championship with the Spurs.

So yes, thank you Kawhi for playing well in a Finals series. You could have tried to take the Spurs to another Finals appearance and really won one FOR us but you didn't, so go fuck yourself and find a frozen pole to stick your dick on in Canada. 

The whole booing thing is so wack now.    On both sides but I at least get the fans side.     A player like Kawhi wanted out of your team.   Its stupid to boo him for that IMO but I get it at least.

Players and media getting all up in arms about a player being booed (no matter what he did for that team) is utterly ridiculous.   ESPECIALLY players that aren't even connected to the situation in any way like that tweet from IT.   Shut the fuck up.

6 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

@ztejas i don't mind being negged when it makes sense; why would you neg this and then not respond to it? genuinely confused. 

You disrespected an entire decade of NBA players. Fuck out of here with that stupid shit. Players in the 80s weren't talented? Magic Johnson? Larry Bird? Kevin McHale? Dr. J? Hakeem?

I mean wtf are you even talking about. 

I really encourage you to watch replays of Lakers v Celtics finals from the 80s. I think the narrative that players continue to get exponentially better as time progresses is a false one. Certainly overall the talent may be better from top to bottom, but either of those teams push or beat the Warriors.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

The whole booing thing is so wack now.    On both sides but I at least get the fans side.     A player like Kawhi wanted out of your team.   Its stupid to boo him for that IMO but I get it at least.

Players and media getting all up in arms about a player being booed (no matter what he did for that team) is utterly ridiculous.   ESPECIALLY players that aren't even connected to the situation in any way like that tweet from IT.   Shut the fuck up.

he didn't just want out, he basically sat out all of last season in protest.  it was a gigantic bitch move and if someone like lebron, harden or durant had done it the entire world would have crushed them.

35 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

he didn't just want out, he basically sat out all of last season in protest.  it was a gigantic bitch move and if someone like lebron, harden or durant had done it the entire world would have crushed them.

Again, I get the fans booing.   I wouldn't do it cause I generally don't care enough about what people do to put that much effort into showing them I don't like their actions.

I have a bigger problem with players and the media acting like its some disgraceful thing that fans booed a player for whatever fucking reason.   

You disrespected an entire decade of NBA players. Fuck out of here with that stupid shit. Players in the 80s weren't talented? Magic Johnson? Larry Bird? Kevin McHale? Dr. J? Hakeem?
Agreed. People get way too caught up in the moment and say things like that.

16 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Agreed. People get way too caught up in the moment and say things like that.

Yeah that is why this latest push to say Harden is the best offensive player is fucking insane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Again, I get the fans booing.   I wouldn't do it cause I generally don't care enough about what people do to put that much effort into showing them I don't like their actions.

I have a bigger problem with players and the media acting like its some disgraceful thing that fans booed a player for whatever fucking reason.   

Yeah I cant say if I would have done it or not were I there in person.

But for a player that's never had anything to do with the Spurs to not be able to understand the nastiness of the situation is beyond tone deaf.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

lol, wow. okie dokie. that's the lamest excuse for negging someone i've ever heard of. let's start here:

hi, i'm derka; have we met before? i mean i know i'm new around here, and that nobody here really knows my style by this point (can you sense the sarcasm? because i'm laying it on pretty thick), but i've been known to dabble in hyperbole when making a point.

no fucking shit the 80's had talented players. you've got be the densest motherfucker on this board to not get my point. also ignorant, because yes, players today are insanely more talented than the players from the 80's. This is one of the most obvious points anyone could make about today's game. This is not up for debate, as this is a universal truth across literally every major sport.

You're clearly too young to even know what you're talking about, but the NBA of the 80's featured thousands of players who would never sniff the league today, because the talent level is nowhere close. of course the very very best from that generation will stack up well with the any other generation, but the further you go down the line the more comically wide the gap in talent becomes. whoever the 50th, and 100th, and 150th best player is in today's NBA >>>>> his counterpart from any random heat in the 80's.

you know what, i can't believe i'm even sitting here explaining this to you. you're retarded. the fact that you don't even know that today's players are insanely more talented than those in the 80's should be exactly what i expect from you. jesus. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

i mean for christ fucking sake michael jordan and magic johnson couldn't even shoot threes! do you know how many 7 footers today have better handles, better shooting, better passing, better foot work, better *everything* than many starring guards from the 80's? Of course you don't. Why would VYmyHero know anything about anything. Jesus Christ. The gall to neg me for "disrespecting" Paul Mokeski, Bill Hanzlik, and Marc Iavaroni, when you aren't even aware of the basic common knowledge that the talent level today >>>>>>> the 80's in literally every sport. That's just special. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

only an idiot would have taken your post as disrespectful to players like michael jordan, magic johnson and larry bird. 

likewise, it's pretty idiotic to mention tmac as a better offensive player than harden when the premise of the post(s) you're agreeing with is postseason success.

but here we are...

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I really encourage you to watch replays of Lakers v Celtics finals from the 80s. I think the narrative that players continue to get exponentially better as time progresses is a false one. Certainly overall the talent may be better from top to bottom, but either of those teams push or beat the Warriors.

i'm talking about the league, not the lakers and celtics. how is that not clear? Where does Buddy Hield rank in today's NBA? How about Bogdan? Bjelica? Cauley-Stein? Bagley? Fox? Where do these members of the Sacramento Kings rank as players in today's NBA? These guys would all be somewhere between the 60th and 160th best players in the NBA today. Now go back and compare their talent to that of their equivalent from any random season from the 1980's. It won't be close. Go find whoever is ranked in the same respective spot as these players and the gap in talent will be insane. 

Edited by Goo Punch

4 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

only an idiot would have taken your post as disrespectful to players like michael jordan, magic johnson and larry bird. 

likewise, it's pretty idiotic to mention tmac as a better offensive player than harden when the premise of the post(s) you're agreeing with is postseason success.

but here we are...

hahahahahhahahahhahahhaha

@aggie08 @Patrick Bateman is this what you wanted? is this better than 50 memes and ig and twitter posts every day? now we're all going to sit around talking about how today's players aren't any more skilled than the players from the 80's? that's what hot in the streets? saying indefensibly stupid shit like that and then negging anyone with the common sense to know otherwise? come on y'all, get off the sidelines, get into the game, and add some motherfucking sense to this retarded discussion. surely our two most prolific nba poster have some thoughts regarding to overall talent level of today vs 30 years ago. spill it. 

lol, i mean im still over here shaking my head. i just went back and read my OP that led to this. literally all i said was, "look how far we've come since the 80's; what will players look like 150 years from now?" and yet somehow that's controversial. jesus. 

Edited by Goo Punch

20 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

lol, wow. okie dokie. that's the lamest excuse for negging someone i've ever heard of. let's start here:

hi, i'm derka; have we met before? i mean i know i'm new around here, and that nobody here really knows my style by this point (can you sense the sarcasm? because i'm laying it on pretty thick), but i've been known to dabble in hyperbole when making a point.

no fucking shit the 80's had talented players. you've got be the densest motherfucker on this board to not get my point. also ignorant, because yes, players today are insanely more talented than the players from the 80's. This is one of the most obvious points anyone could make about today's game. This is not up for debate, as this is a universal truth across literally every major sport.

You're clearly too young to even know what you're talking about, but the NBA of the 80's featured thousands of players who would never sniff the league today, because the talent level is nowhere close. of course the very very best from that generation will stack up well with the any other generation, but the further you go down the line the more comically wide the gap in talent becomes. whoever the 50th, and 100th, and 150th best player is in today's NBA >>>>> his counterpart from any random heat in the 80's.

you know what, i can't believe i'm even sitting here explaining this to you. you're retarded. the fact that you don't even know that today's players are insanely more talented than those in the 80's should be exactly what i expect from you. jesus. 

First of all, slow your roll. 

Second, I think you're conflating athleticism with talent. What is your definition of "talent" anyway? Doing a shamgod into a fadeaway jumper? Are you talking about play that LOOKS cool or play that actually translates into winning basketball? Conditioning and weight room wise players today are much better. That doesn't make them better passers, defenders, or shooters.

If you can't comprehend that here's a clip of 55 year old Chris Mullin beating Kevin Durant in a shooting contest.

Here's a clip of Jerry "I haven't shot a basketball in years" West 

Here's a highlight reel of the '86 Celtics who had better chemistry and team passing than any team in the league right now

Going by your logic, shouldn't players from the 80s be much more talented than Mikan and Cousy? Because that's what you're claiming, that today's players make guys from the 80s look like guys from the 50s. 

Lol at the "you're too young" card. I bet I've watched full length games from the 1980s more recently than you have. 

6 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

really what i think a lot of us would like would just be simple discussion of the goings on in the nba, but unfortunately there are a few idiots here who make that damn near impossible.

they'll neg you, they'll talk shit to you, they'll share a meme or seven, but they won't make a single substantive point, much less a string of substantive posts. won't even attempt to. the surly nba board is so wack.

Just now, ztejas said:

First of all, slow your roll. 

Second, I think you're conflating athleticism with talent. What is your definition of "talent" anyway? Doing a shamgod into a fadeaway jumper? Are you talking about play that LOOKS cool or play that actually translates into winning basketball? Conditioning and weight room wise players today are much better. That doesn't make them better passers, defenders, or shooters.

If you can't comprehend that here's a clip of 55 year old Chris Mullin beating Kevin Durant in a shooting contest.

Here's a clip of Jerry "I haven't shot a basketball in years" West 

Here's a highlight reel of the '86 Celtics who had better chemistry and team passing than any team in the league right now

Going by your logic, shouldn't players from the 80s be much more talented than Mikan and Cousy? Because that's what you're claiming, that today's players make guys from the 80s look like guys from the 50s. 

Lol at the "you're too young" card. I bet I've watched full length games from the 1980s more recently than you have. 

no, i'm not talking about athleticism, I am very specifically talking about skill. The skill level in today's NBA is far, far better across the board than it was in the 1980s. The same goes for every single sport in the world. This is common knowledge, this is not up for debate. This is a fact.

17 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

really what i think a lot of us would like would just be simple discussion of the goings on in the nba, but unfortunately there are a few idiots here who make that damn near impossible.

What this guy said.   Its why I had to take some time off of the thread.

but who could have seen this coming?!?!

in all seriousness the Sixers still have 4+ months to work this thing out, so i don't want to go overboard just yet. brett brown and joel embiid in particular are strong personalities, so they should be able to handle jimmy and his personality over time. if this team can eventually find the right flow and play as a cohesive unit then they could make a deep playoff run and quiet all the chatter. If not, then giving up Saric and Convington only to get worse was a bad move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Hey Jimmie, you're the 2nd best player on your team.  Even if you decide to stay in Philly, the organization is hopeful that you'll very quickly become the 3rd best player on your team.  Maybe act like it?

This is some of what I was factoring into my Wggins/Butler argument.    He is a better player but I will take the younger guy who isn't an asshole.

23 minutes ago, d2o said:

This is some of what I was factoring into my Wggins/Butler argument.    He is a better player but I will take the younger guy who isn't an asshole.

I'd much, much rather have a competitive asshole over lazy and indifferent if forced to pick.

But yeah, at a $30M per price tag, the best option is probably "neither."

Minnesota lucked out not having ~$65M committed to those two wings every year for the foreseeable future, even if they did end up with the substantially worse player.