2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

10 minutes ago, d2o said:

I'm pretty sure he has a pretty good of what he wants and what team gives him the best option to accomplish that.   I'm sure his first option is to stay in NO but there has or will come a point where he determines that he cannot win there.

I think he's conflicted and changes his mind weekly.... or maybe weekly.  IMO, he's committed to this season in New Orleans, wants to get to this summer and see the landscape as the supermax looms.  Tough life.  Live in New Orleans with over 250 million plus endorsements is considered a worst case scenario.  LOL.  If he turns down the supermax then it's going to be a race between 5-6 teams who realistically will want to trade for him with Boston and LA headlining those teams.  I think he'd love for it to work out in New Orleans, but if it doesn't, there's probably 3-4 spots he'd like to end up in....

And, again, the question isn't where he wants to play somewhere else (even if he has already decided); it's how much of a drama queen he's willing to be to get there. Paul George, Kyrie, Kawhi, and Jimmy Butler all flirted with some degree of diva status, and not one of them got traded to the team (or teams) they were eyeing. 

He'd have to go nuclear to create a situation where the Lakers were the only ones willing to offer a nice package this offseason. AD doesn't seem like he's got that that in him, and LA can't make the best offer.

Maybe if Ball has a great, quiet season and Ingram figures shit out, LeBron can get a third team to throw some picks New Orleans' way.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

LeBron just got accused of tampering and his response was, "oh yeah? here, let me quintuple down. fuck you." meanwhile there are like 10 decent QBs in the entire NFL and Kap can't get a job because he silently protested. The leagues are not the same. 

and lets not neglect to mention that they are "randomly" drug testing eric reid on an almost weekly basis after blacklisting him from the league for the first part of this season due to his association with kap.

• Like 1

Fuck Derek Fisher, from now to eternity.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2810577-baron-davis-rips-derek-fisher-for-partnering-with-lending-company-for-athletes

Someone send in Matt Barnes to finish the job. Say what you will about LeBron's overreaching power and CP3's butchassedness...the league is in infinitely better hands now than it was with that piece of shit as the president of the Player's Association.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Live in New Orleans with over 250 million plus endorsements is considered a worst case scenario

I don't understand the Surly romanticism of NOLA. NOLA is a shithole you visit to get drunk and eat seafood. Comparing it to LA is a joke. 

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

and lets not neglect to mention that they are "randomly" drug testing eric reid on an almost weekly basis after blacklisting him from the league for the first part of this season due to his association with kap.

He also has been fined 4 times for "illegal" hits

Edited by d2o

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Fuck Derek Fisher, from now to eternity.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2810577-baron-davis-rips-derek-fisher-for-partnering-with-lending-company-for-athletes

Someone send in Matt Barnes to finish the job. Say what you will about LeBron's overreaching power and CP3's butchassedness...the league is in infinitely better hands now than it was with that piece of shit as the president of the Player's Association.

Yeah time and time again he proves to be the piece of shit that everyone has billed him as for all these years

Dudes have been going to dinner after/before games for years.     Its no different than a bunch of accountants going out for drinks during a convention.      You will never be able to stop players from talking to each other and sometimes that talk will turn to them playing together.
Yeah... the entire Golden State team openly recruited Kevin Durant. If that's not tampering, then nothing players do will be tampering. They can talk all they want.

20 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Guaranteed contracts are a big fucking deal especially in a game where injuries are much more common. That and players are clearly more empowered in the NBA than in the NFL, at least at the top end. The NBA isn’t perfect by any means but he’s right about how bad the NFL is in comparison 

Tell the NFL players to get a better union. Their union has to be one of the weakest in any industry. They had a lockout in 2011 and they caved. Why? Because no real leadership in their union and no voice for the players. They don't know that they have the power. Replacement players are not going to work. It would essentially become the XFL in personnel and quality. Advertisers are not going to be paying the big bucks for that quality. Fans are not going to be showing up and watching. Fantasy would become non existent. So would the gambling aspect because no one would know those guys. But they got nervous of missing of a few paychecks and gave in way too quickly. And what did the players do? Re-elect the same union president. So yeah, no progress will be made on the owners.

41 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Tell the NFL players to get a better union. Their union has to be one of the weakest in any industry. They had a lockout in 2011 and they caved. Why? Because no real leadership in their union and no voice for the players. They don't know that they have the power. Replacement players are not going to work. It would essentially become the XFL in personnel and quality. Advertisers are not going to be paying the big bucks for that quality. Fans are not going to be showing up and watching. Fantasy would become non existent. So would the gambling aspect because no one would know those guys. But they got nervous of missing of a few paychecks and gave in way too quickly. And what did the players do? Re-elect the same union president. So yeah, no progress will be made on the owners.

A strike hurts a little more if you're an NFL player.  Their career windows are much shorter than the NBA/MLB.  You miss out on a single season in the NFL...that might have been one third of your career football income.  

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Gianni's said he's put on 51lbs of muscle since entering the NBA.
d709066e69b75ecbf14467addfd06b27.jpg

Giannis is now definitely on the all-time "Built (or chiseled) in a secret lab to play basketball" team.

Joining LeBron and David Robinson.

I do wonder if all the that time in the gym has had a negative impact on his already shaky jumpshot, but when you can get to the basket 15 times a game, who cares. Well, at least for now...the playoffs prove every year that good teams will find a way to exploit the hell out of your weakness (see Boston against Giannis and Ben Simmons last year).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Monster said:

A strike hurts a little more if you're an NFL player.  Their career windows are much shorter than the NBA/MLB.  You miss out on a single season in the NFL...that might have been one third of your career football income.  

No I get that. But how long would the owners hold out as well. It was a game of chicken and the players blinked first. I think they could have held out a little longer to get a better deal.

Just now, aggie08 said:

Giannis is now definitely on the all-time "Built (or chiseled) in a secret lab to play basketball" team.

Joining LeBron and David Robinson.

I do wonder if all the that time in the gym has had a negative impact on his already shaky jumpshot, but when you can get to the basket 15 times a game, who cares. Well, at least for now...the playoffs prove every year that good teams will find a way to exploit the hell out of your weakness (see Boston against Giannis and Ben Simmons last year).

I always wondered why Durant never bulked up a little more but I don't think he wants to. His game is different than Giannis' and he does not need to be as bulky. But yes, NBA players don't really need to be as bulky as say an NFL player. Unless you are a big man that players inside the paint.

11 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

true..forgot about that. 

The real flame beyond just the dinner is that Anthony Davis hired Rich Paul as his agent in September and quietly bought a house out in Westlake Hills (kind of near Calabasas/Malibu/Woodland Hills area) a few months before that in July, which doesn't necessarily mean anything, but the combination of everything and the timing is fanning the flames.  Maybe that dinner already settled a plan or least possible thoughts and ideas on the future, maybe it was absolutely nothing, but it's great for the media.  Nothing will happen until Davis either accepts or turns down the max.  I think it is likely the whole thing is resolved by August 2019 one way or another.  I think NO needs to make the playoffs and make some noise this year to keep him.  New Orleans needs to ask for the world if necessary because they likely can get it.  I wouldn't yet throw out Golden State, Chicago, or NY from what I hear, but it's probably the two glamour franchises initially to throw big offers.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I always wondered why Durant never bulked up a little more but I don't think he wants to. His game is different than Giannis' and he does not need to be as bulky. But yes, NBA players don't really need to be as bulky as say an NFL player. Unless you are a big man that players inside the paint.

I think he likely worried it would impact his speed and offensive efficiency, and he may be right.  I think it did impact his defensive game a little in that at times in his career, he has been unable to keep some players out of the block or off the boards but I'd much rather have his offense anyway at 100%.  I think KD could have garnered about 3 to 5 All-Defensive teams in his career versus zero right now if he totally dedicated his game to that side of things, but he's probably the most or at worst one of the most naturally gifted scorers (especially in terms of variety of spots/shots) I have ever seen so the trade-off is likely worth it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, d2o said:

Remember when I said PG was better than Jimmy Butler and many of you told me I was crazy?

To be fair, you also said that you'd rather have Andrew Wiggins moving forward than Jimmy Butler.

Kidding aside, PG's going insert himself into the MVP conversation if OKC keeps winning, and Russ continues to shoot so poorly that he has no choice but to defer. They're playing the kind of smothering defense that they were capable of last season but had to humor Melo. They're so strong behind Russ, that it allows him to take gambles and play passing lanes (and occasionally cheat in for a rebound). That's a stout combination.

• Like 1

Nothing else matters for George but the playoffs.  He's a miserable playoff performer (other than one crazy series which he lost) so it's nice he's having his best season in his prime, but he'll need to deliver in the playoffs.  I'm glad he's having success and I'm hopeful he feels more resolute in his decision.  Small market teams need guys like George or Greek Freak embracing them.  Maybe Kawhi will embrace Toronto.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

So, who wants to break the news to Monster?

I don't have the heart to tell him.

Is there more to the story?  Was something more said somewhere else?   Because I'm not really seeing the antisemitism in the Lebron tweet.  If he'd said 'get that Serbian money' would that be offensive?   Connect the dots for me.  

Unless the news is that people look for reasons to be offended.  In which case, I've already been made aware.

Edited by Monster

25 minutes ago, Monster said:

Is there more to the story?  Was something more said somewhere else?   Because I'm not really seeing the antisemitism in the Lebron tweet.  If he'd said 'get that Serbian money' would that be offensive?   Connect the dots for me.  

Unless the news is that people look for reasons to be offended.  In which case, I've already been made aware.

Oh, I have no idea if there's more to that story. Just pointing out the sad realization that all this thread is now is random tweets from random people with incomplete or nonexistent commentary.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Oh, I have no idea if there's more to that story. Just pointing out the sad realization that all this thread is now is random tweets from random people with incomplete or nonexistent commentary.

I need to stop visiting the political board.  I'm flailing at windmills.

14 hours ago, Monster said:

If there was nothing malicious intended, then why point out a specific ethnic or religious group at all? 

I'm not triggered....or Jewish. I just think it makes Lebron look like a total douche when he goes SJW all the time and then turns around and does this. 
I'm not referring to anyone in general. I'm talking about all these entertainers having to come out and apologize for anything these days because society is sensitive about any little thing these days.

Just now, Vic Mackey said:
1 minute ago, immortal13 said:
I'm not triggered....or Jewish. I just think it makes Lebron look like a total douche when he goes SJW all the time and then turns around and does this. 

I'm not referring to anyone in general. I'm talking about all these entertainers having to come out and apologize for anything these days because society is sensitive about any little thing these days.

Yeah but when you tweet out something like that, you're just asking for it. I get that he was just quoting a 21 Savage lyric(whom I like), but that's not really the point. Lebron should know better...that's why he deserves to get backlash on stuff like this.