2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

11 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

too late.  trump and his "fake news" bullshit has put an end to that.  nowadays it's don't like something?  no problem, just call it fake news and move on.

/dontgiveashitifthisiscloackroomtrumpisapieceofshitandsoarehissupporters

Don't fucking cloak room up the goddamn nba board. Jfc

17 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Don't fucking cloak room up the goddamn nba board. Jfc

says the guy who never even posts about basketball, instead only posting to talk shit to other people. shut the fuck up immortal. no matter what your self deluded ass thinks if we took it to a vote you'd be banned from this board because you literally don't even try to talk hoops. you are the very last person to tell someone else that what he is posting is not allowed. 

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

says the guy who never even posts about basketball, instead only posting to talk shit to other people. shut the fuck up immortal. no matter what your self deluded ass thinks if we took it to a vote you'd be banned from this board because you literally don't even try to talk hoops. you are the very last person to tell someone else that what he is posting is not allowed. 

Lulz. If we banned people based on a poll, you would've been gone long ago, my friend

9 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Haven't heard yet, but I will.... Kyrie's rep never fully recovered from being a moron either (on topic).  Apparently Andre Igoudala, Vince Carter and Jalen Rose are in this camp too.  Probably don't believe the world is round or in gravity.  smh.  Feeding into the big dumb athlete stereotype.  

Vince Carter has reasons to be a gravity skeptic

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lmao. You are one think skinned little man. Someone holds a different belief than you and now it's "omg I don't want to live in this world". Good lord. I'd hate to be raised by someone like you who can't handle people having their own beliefs. You also glossed over my whole entire point. The world is not worse off because of this. These factions of people have existed since the whole moon landing. Guess what? The world functions and society exists with these people in it. But I guess you need to be in your safe space because you can't handle opposing views. Sad world you have created for yourself. 

You also live in a world where people worship a man made book (bible) as truth and believe there was a long hair white man that resembled Dave Grohl living in the Middle East that could walk on water. And believe telling people "thoughts and prayers" actually works. And believe in "God's plan" whenever something bad happens. Kid dies? Oh well, god's plan. But yeah, that seems totally logical. I hope you have the same thoughts about these factions of people as you do people who don't believe in the moon landing. Because these groups of people actually are a detriment to society. Religion is one of the worst things to ever happen to society. Churches are built to extort money from it's members. People believing the moon landing was a hoax harms who exactly? Well besides you getting your feelings hurt by it.

What are you not understanding about the word "fact"? The earth is round. This is a fact. NASA sent men to the moon and they walked on it. This is a fact.

People believing otherwise holds us back. This is fucking stupid and it needs to be called out.

• Like 2

Sooo, back to basketball...big game tonight. Potential Finals' matchup. And a Pop special: the two best mid-range shooting teams going head to head.

While everyone else is shooting more threes, the Warriors are actually going in the other direction as teams sell out to chase them off the line (5th most 3FGA per game in 2017, 14th most in 2018, currently 17th most this season). KD and Klay have always been lights out from the mid-range, but Steph has quietly transformed himself into the best mid-range guard in the league, by percentages.

That said, Toronto is actually 1st in accuracy as a team, though they don't take nearly as many. Kawhi is a killer.

I think a correction may be coming eventually for how many 3's are being taken. If defenses are going to continue to give up mid-range shots, an open 15 footer sounds better to me than a contested 25 footer--especially in the postseason--even if the math doesn't support it.

I assume that that's what Pop was getting at with his comments: teams without the ability to adjust when their threes aren't falling can produce some pretty ugly, stagnant basketball. Overall though, I'd argue that the three point era has led to a more aesthetically pleasing--and still varied--game with player movement and spacing. Teams aren't taking any fewer shots at the rim than the were 20 years ago; they've just replaced all of those mid-range shots with threes.

Rambling post is rambling, but at least not cloak roomy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Sooo, back to basketball...big game tonight. Potential Finals' matchup. And a Pop special: the two best mid-range shooting teams going head to head.

While everyone else is shooting more threes, the Warriors are actually going in the other direction as teams sell out to chase them off the line (5th most 3FGA per game in 2017, 14th most in 2018, currently 17th most this season). KD and Klay have always been lights out from the mid-range, but Steph has quietly transformed himself into the best mid-range guard in the league, by percentages.

That said, Toronto is actually 1st in accuracy as a team, though they don't take nearly as many. Kawhi is a killer.

I think a correction may be coming eventually for how many 3's are being taken. If defenses are going to continue to give up mid-range shots, an open 15 footer sounds better to me than a contested 25 footer--especially in the postseason--even if the math doesn't support it.

I assume that that's what Pop was getting at with his comments: teams without the ability to adjust when their threes aren't falling can produce some pretty ugly, stagnant basketball. Overall though, I'd argue that the three point era has led to a more aesthetically pleasing--and still varied--game with player movement and spacing. Teams aren't taking any fewer shots at the rim than the were 20 years ago; they've just replaced all of those mid-range shots with threes.

Rambling post is rambling, but at least not cloak roomy.

Not rambling at all. 

I think GS is going to beat the dog piss out of Toronto tonight. Say what you will about teams that struggle for motivation in the regular season after championships, the Warriors looooove chances to expose contenders on their home floor.

Toronto is playing on 3 days rest but in the middle of a tough stretch and late games at Oracle tend to be difficult to say the least.

Hoping for a good game, expecting a 3Q drubbing.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Toronto played last night and crushed the Clippers without Kawhi. Hopefully Kawhi plays tonight.

You're right. I'm dumb. On a segab2b in LA (to borrow from PTR).

This is going to turn into an ass-whipping. Schedule loss.

Edited by ztejas

16 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lmao. You are one think skinned little man. Someone holds a different belief than you and now it's "omg I don't want to live in this world". Good lord. I'd hate to be raised by someone like you who can't handle people having their own beliefs. You also glossed over my whole entire point. The world is not worse off because of this. These factions of people have existed since the whole moon landing. Guess what? The world functions and society exists with these people in it. But I guess you need to be in your safe space because you can't handle opposing views. Sad world you have created for yourself. 

You also live in a world where people worship a man made book (bible) as truth and believe there was a long hair white man that resembled Dave Grohl living in the Middle East that could walk on water. And believe telling people "thoughts and prayers" actually works. And believe in "God's plan" whenever something bad happens. Kid dies? Oh well, god's plan. But yeah, that seems totally logical. I hope you have the same thoughts about these factions of people as you do people who don't believe in the moon landing. Because these groups of people actually are a detriment to society. Religion is one of the worst things to ever happen to society. Churches are built to extort money from it's members. People believing the moon landing was a hoax harms who exactly? Well besides you getting your feelings hurt by it.

Landing on the moon isn’t holding a different belief. It happened. It’s a fact.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

By "threatening" I assume she means he is threatening the cities of Seattle and Las Vegas with that horrible fucking franchise. 

I wonder if, per se, Seattle was the "winner" of the Suns franchise, would the NBA then expand by 2 teams, placing 1 in Phoenix & one in say Kansas City..? If so #ByeSarverFelicia

2 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Mavs look solid again tonight against the Hawks. Some shitty officiating in this one but the Mavs controlled the game from start to finish.

Oh...and Doncic>Young

Barea having the best season of his career might be the strangest thing I've noticed so far in the NBA.

31 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Mavs look solid again tonight against the Hawks. Some shitty officiating in this one but the Mavs controlled the game from start to finish.

Oh...and Doncic>Young

Yea despite the extra first I hate that trade from the Hawks perspective. Doncic looks like he can be really special and carry a team with him. Trae will never be that IMO and you’re just kinda hoping that you get the draft picks right. I’ll take Luka.

17 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Young actually looked pretty good tonight, but his shooting percentages for the season are horrendous. I don't think it's a given that he will even make it in this league. We shall see

Before the season I thought he would be a career guy who maybe makes a couple all star games but is, for the most part, just another guy. I’m beginning to think, based on his shooting percentages and some comments, that he might flame out.

I always felt his “vision” or feel for the game was immensely over-hyped. He got a lot of assists from throwing passes way down court after the inbound in college. I could be wrong but I just don’t think his basketball IQ is very high.

34 minutes ago, Machinator said:

One of those games for the Warriors. Still, very impressive effort for the Raptors without Kawhi and JV for the second half.

I think they did a great job attacking Curry on both ends of the floor to try and wear him out and even having some post-ups on him too.  Maybe Warrior fans know this better but every Warrior game I have seen (maybe four games) so far, Green doesn't look like the same player.  Health?

58 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

is there a website that lets you type in stat parameters and then search the league for players who reach said parameters? like i go type in 13 points, 1.8 blocks, and 4.5 rebounds, and it shows me every nba player who meets those averages. does that exist?

Best public site in my opinion is the basic NBA site you can add custom filters to almost anything but you have to play with it a bit to get used to it.

Here is an example: (with 20 pts, 7 rebounds, 5 assists for this season)

https://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&CF=PTS*GE*20.0:REB*GE*7:AST*GE*5&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular Season

Use the "advanced filters" function and you can knock yourself out on different seasons, players, etc.

Edited by UTDD
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, kopp0e said:

I wonder if, per se, Seattle was the "winner" of the Suns franchise, would the NBA then expand by 2 teams, placing 1 in Phoenix & one in say Kansas City..? If so #ByeSarverFelicia

Silver is on record saying that they have no desire to expand in the near future.