2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

11 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Holy shit, Houston...show a little pride.

Harden's flop to get Gobert ejected was more than a little irritating.

The flip side of offenses being exciting so far this season is that the referees have been making it very difficult for teams to stifle the paint and play defense well. Defenders are now getting called for being hit straight in the chest by offensive players, and teams like the Jazz that rely on elite defense are suffering for it.

Edited by satyanash

The Rockets struggle is a confluence of a number of different things.  Does losing a couple of defensive wings hurt?  Sure, as did losing Coach B, who they missed so badly, they had to beg back.  They've had some minor injuries which has prevented the team from finding it's rhythm.  However, the biggest issue is their two superstars aren't playing like superstars.  They're doing okay, but for Houston to be elite, they need MVP James Harden.  Thus far, they've gotten All-Star reserve James Harden, and he's regressed back defensively to Joke Harden on that end.  They also need Chris Paul to be point God CP3.  Thus far, they've gotten future HOF in decline Chris Paul who shouldn't even be an All-Star at this juncture.  Now, Paul particularly has been limited by injuries, but this was always the risk with him.  And I don't know what happened to Eric Gordon, but dude looks like a stiff right now and he's destroyed most of his trade value, if he had much.

The good news for the Rockets is the West is so tightly bound, a hot 10 game streak and they're in the top 8.  A hot 20 game streak and they're solidly in the top 4, so they have some time to get the ship righted and they probably will to some degree.  Eventually, Harden will get it going more towards his play the last couple of years.  Eventually, Chris Paul should get over his nagging injuries and provide them a solid window of elite PG play.  Morey probably has a move or two to improve the bench and get more defense after Dec 15th. 

The bad news is.... this is their team.  They paid CP3 in the summer.  They paid Capela (got a good deal) in the summer.  Harden's salary bumps to nasty zone next year (38 million) so he'll no longer be in running for best value contract.  They don't have a ton of assets to facilitate a trade for a real difference maker.  They have Eric Gordon's 13.5 million and Brandon Knight's 14.6 million which both expire next year to move at the deadline or next summer, but what are those guys trade value?  Typically, with such poor assets, you get a disgruntled star or older star who's in decline.  What can you get with those?  Morey may be able to find a sucker though.  But beyond those contracts, the Rockets don't have a ton to move.... future first rounders.  Maybe a 2021 may be appealing as CP3 should be done by then. 

I don't know, but I think the Rockets find some balance and make the playoffs, where as a veteran laden team, they should be very dangerous if healthy.  A lot will and can happen until May comes around, but this is definitely not what Houston signed up for..... 

5 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The Rockets struggle is a confluence of a number of different things.  Does losing a couple of defensive wings hurt?  Sure, as did losing Coach B, who they missed so badly, they had to beg back.  They've had some minor injuries which has prevented the team from finding it's rhythm.  However, the biggest issue is their two superstars aren't playing like superstars.  They're doing okay, but for Houston to be elite, they need MVP James Harden.  Thus far, they've gotten All-Star reserve James Harden, and he's regressed back defensively to Joke Harden on that end.  They also need Chris Paul to be point God CP3.  Thus far, they've gotten future HOF in decline Chris Paul who shouldn't even be an All-Star at this juncture.  Now, Paul particularly has been limited by injuries, but this was always the risk with him.  And I don't know what happened to Eric Gordon, but dude looks like a stiff right now and he's destroyed most of his trade value, if he had much.

The good news for the Rockets is the West is so tightly bound, a hot 10 game streak and they're in the top 8.  A hot 20 game streak and they're solidly in the top 4, so they have some time to get the ship righted and they probably will to some degree.  Eventually, Harden will get it going more towards his play the last couple of years.  Eventually, Chris Paul should get over his nagging injuries and provide them a solid window of elite PG play.  Morey probably has a move or two to improve the bench and get more defense after Dec 15th. 

The bad news is.... this is their team.  They paid CP3 in the summer.  They paid Capela (got a good deal) in the summer.  Harden's salary bumps to nasty zone next year (38 million) so he'll no longer be in running for best value contract.  They don't have a ton of assets to facilitate a trade for a real difference maker.  They have Eric Gordon's 13.5 million and Brandon Knight's 14.6 million which both expire next year to move at the deadline or next summer, but what are those guys trade value?  Typically, with such poor assets, you get a disgruntled star or older star who's in decline.  What can you get with those?  Morey may be able to find a sucker though.  But beyond those contracts, the Rockets don't have a ton to move.... future first rounders.  Maybe a 2021 may be appealing as CP3 should be done by then. 

I don't know, but I think the Rockets find some balance and make the playoffs, where as a veteran laden team, they should be very dangerous if healthy.  A lot will and can happen until May comes around, but this is definitely not what Houston signed up for..... 

This Rockets team is not going to be "Very Dangerous" unless they make some serious moves before the trade deadline. 

The Warriors would wipe the floor with this iteration of the Rockets. Last year was their chance - just like 2015 was CP3's chance with the Clippers. He just can't get over the hump. Maybe he'll win a ring as a vet role player some day but his chance at winning one as the first or second option has come and gone. 

10 hours ago, Llogg said:

Rockets problems have more to do with ditching ariza and luc. To wings with good defense and reasonable threat from three who were not even attempted to be replaced. They made a huge mistake prioritizing capela over those guys.

they really had to pay Capela, not much of a choice. Ariza at $15mil was just too much, but they somehow got Knight at the same money (not sure about that)

Embiid not happy......

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25481105/joel-embiid-philadelphia-76ers-frustrated-role-jimmy-butler-trade

"I haven't been myself lately," Embiid told Philly.com. "I think it's mainly because of the way I've been used, which is I'm being used as a spacer, I guess, a stretch-5, which I'm only shooting [29] percent" from 3-point range.
"But it seems like the past couple games, like with the way I play, our setup, [coach Brett Brown] always has me starting on the perimeter ... and it just really frustrates me."

Embiid needs to shut up and play better.  There's ways to express yourself without going and complaining to the press like a 5 year old throwing a tantrum.  And the Sixers have been a better team since Butler joined them, sorry, you're sulking in the corner, big guy.  Shut up and play.  Work with the staff so maybe they can build more PNR dives with you and Butler and stagger your minutes better, get you in some early sets with you on the block.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Embiid needs to shut up and play better.  There's ways to express yourself without going and complaining to the press like a 5 year old throwing a tantrum.  And the Sixers have been a better team since Butler joined them, sorry, you're sulking in the corner, big guy.  Shut up and play.  Work with the staff so maybe they can build more PNR dives with you and Butler and stagger your minutes better, get you in some early sets with you on the block.  

I kinda think that is what last night was about.   Brown showing him tough love.    You wanna complain when we are winning?   Have a seat and we can still win without you.

I do like how he's able to honestly assess his game, at least. Just because he can make the occasional three doesn't mean he should be out there hoisting 4 a game. If anyone can keep true centers from going extinct, it's Embiid. Everyone doesn't have to be a damn stretch 5.

On 12/7/2018 at 6:04 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Houston fans like Big Orange told me this was going to work out. Disregard how bad Melo has made his teams, it was going to work this time! Lmao. But of course he's wrong about most things.

And now they're suspiciously absent from this thread.  Sad.

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Man i hate him with the heat of a thousand suns. It has to feel awkward for houston fans who are forced to like him.

As to embiid...i could only imagine if hero jimmy had not made those last second threes how hed be handling it

It is starting to look that Jimmy wears on an entire team, sometimes the talent isn't worth the personality...

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Sactown would probably be the most exciting team in the league had they taken Luka.

Bagley's actually been pretty damn good.

I mean, obviously they should have taken Luka, but so should have Phoenix. 

Sacramento has a nice little roster and Buddy Buckets is having a breakout season. 

41 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

He's good but he's no Luka.  

True. I'm super jealous of Dallas getting Luka. I thought he was the best player in the draft, and I still can't believe the fucking Hawks wanted Trae Young over him. You guys lucked out on Atlanta being dumb, your future is very bright, and it's pretty awesome Dirk gets to go out on a more positive note with the team building towards a good future than what it looked like a year or two ago. Props to you guys.

23 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I still can't believe the fucking Hawks wanted Trae Young over him.

Meanwhile, in Atlanta, Trae attributes some of his struggles to defenses playing him way too tightly out of respect for his shooting and the fear that he'll hit a momentum changing deep bomb.

"I mean, it’s crazy. It’s crazy," Young said. "My shooting percentage is so bad right now and teams are still pressing up on me just like I was shooting 80 percent." 

"It just shows a sign of respect for the level of shooting ability and what I can do outside the arc," Young told the WaPo. "That means teams still believe I can do what I was capable of doing, what I’ve been doing my whole life."

...either that, or teams actually play competent defense in the NBA, and don't sit back in zone. 

Of the 173 players who are shooting 3 or more threes per game this season, Trae Young in 172nd in accuracy at 24.3%.  The only player worse than him is world renown sharpshooter Russell Westbrook.  Yet, he's taking 5.5 threes a game, and leads the league with 47 threes attempted outside of 28 feet.

I like Young's potential, and natural true point guard skills...but, damn, those Steph comparisons did him absolutely no favors.  He should only be taking catch-and-shoot 3's until he adjusts to the NBA game and range.

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Who or what are Crazy Fan Takes and Dr. Rick Titball, and why should any of us give a fuck?

If the question is rhetorical, then I agree; if not, then (the point) displays the lack of cerebral prowess on issue of ranking past legends with current youth have never seen play...

10 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Meanwhile, in Atlanta, Trae attributes some of his struggles to defenses playing him way too tightly out of respect for his shooting and the fear that he'll hit a momentum changing deep bomb.

...either that, or teams actually play competent defense in the NBA, and don't sit back in zone. 

Of the 173 players who are shooting 3 or more threes per game this season, Trae Young in 172nd in accuracy at 24.3%.  The only player worse than him is world renown sharpshooter Russell Westbrook.  Yet, he's taking 5.5 threes a game, and leads the league with 47 threes attempted outside of 28 feet.

I like Young's potential, and natural true point guard skills...but, damn, those Steph comparisons did him absolutely no favors.  He should only be taking catch-and-shoot 3's until he adjusts to the NBA game and range.

Lulz at Trae Young's comments. That's some high level delusion right there. So teams fear him so much that they are shutting him down defensively. OU education: check.

Edited by immortal13

10 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Lulz at Trae Young's comments. That's some high level delusion right there. So teams fear him so much that they are shutting him down defensively. OU education: check.

I tried to explain to the idiots on reddit that this is exactly what was going to happen. People were literally telling me Trae would have more space to operate in in the NBA since he would have "better teammates". 

More space. In the NBA. Against NBA defenders. 🙄

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

I tried to explain to the idiots on reddit that this is exactly what was going to happen. People were literally telling me Trae would have more space to operate in in the NBA since he would have "better teammates". 

More space. In the NBA. Against NBA defenders. 🙄

Funny he thinks NBA defenders are showing him respect for "what he can do." I'm sure they don't give a fuck how many hip shot threes he heaved up in college. I still think he will be an epic bust.