2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

18 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

And lol at Boston, probably coulda traded for Kawhi and didn't. Kyrie seems like a team cancer. Bill Simmons dumb ass predicted this team would win 67 games and go Warriors on it, resting everyone for a lot of 4th quarters. Fuck that city, i hope the Pats/Sox/Celtics all go another 100 years without winning shit.

I don't think Kyrie is the problem in Boston. Forcing Hayward into big minutes unnecessarily is a bigger issue. That's what has caused Jaylen Brown to regress, imo. Hayward's a defensive liability and his offensive efficiency is poor so far. Let him round into shape with the bench and find your most effective lineup. Get better defensively by sitting him and get better offensively with your second unit if Hayward ever gets it going. Don't make both units worse by sticking with a guy that clearly doesn't have it yet.

Edited by Llogg

11 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

And lol at Boston, probably coulda traded for Kawhi and didn't. Kyrie seems like a team cancer.

Kyrie helped win them 55 games last year without one of their best players and is having the best offensive season of his career. His offense may not lift an entire team's offense, but he's still amazing, and a guy that can make the big shots when you need them. Hard to put too much of the blame on him. Though he probably shouldn't call out the young guys when he's back to playing ole defense...but man, Brown has been awful and Tatum's shot selection has been just as bad. They need someone who can consistently get to the rim and draw fouls.

I always thought they should have traded Kyrie for Kawhi. Maybe not the cleanest fit with all their other wings, but if you have a chance to land a top 5 player, you take it and figure the rest out later. Both Philly and Boston whiffed on that, and now he's on an Eastern rival. The proposed deal seemed to center around Brown and picks, but I wouldn't want to give Kyrie and Kawhi max contracts in the same offseason. Flipping them would have netted Boston the better player while keeping some of their best picks and Brown on his rookie deal. Plus Rozier would be a defensive upgrade as a full-time starter.

Even if Boston does get their act together, they're going to be the ultimate litmus test for how valuable stars are in the playoffs. They have the deepest roster (Toronto may argue that), but they won't have the best player on the floor against Milwaukee, Philly, Indiana, or Toronto. Depending on your opinion of Simmons at this stage of his career, Philly might have the 3 best players on the floor against them.

4 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Allen Iverson and Carmelo put up good stats too, doesn't mean that they weren't cancerous players tbh...

Those are two awful comps. Kyrie is putting up a BPM right now that blows anything AI or Melo did in their careers out of the water.

Like I said, go look at his numbers and quit talking out of your ass. 

Just now, ztejas said:

Those are two awful comps. Kyrie is putting up a BPM right now that blows anything AI or Melo did in their careers out of the water.

Like I said, go look at his numbers and quit talking out of your ass. 

If you say so, i love numbers and all but Kyrie just seems like a head case from everything i've ever witnessed.

He is one of the best scorers i've seen no doubt, no dispute there. I just think he dogs it on defense and that his teammates notice.

1 minute ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah, that's why i mentioned that he is one of the best scorers i've seen....obviously Lebron appreciated that...

I find him very similar to Kemba Walker.

....who is also a great fucking player and in the running for MVP...

Do you watch basketball?

Just now, ztejas said:

....who is also a great fucking player and in the running for MVP...

Do you watch basketball?

Why are you so defensive about Kyrie? I'm just pointing out that he seems to be a player who wants everything to be centered around him, but does not have the body or skillset for a team to win by doing that.

Pretty much all stats support the conclusion that Kyrie is the biggest net positive player for the Celtics this year. The regression of Brown and Tatum so far on both offense and defense are the culprits for the struggles. You want to argue that Kyrie is the reason for that regression, but that ignores the fact that he played 60 games with them last year in their breakout season. The bigger variable from last year is Hayward. He degrades their team defense and does not have the offensive punch to make up for that. Forcing him into the rotation means Tatum and Brown don't establish the same kind of flow they had last year.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Iverson? Nah.

This.  Iverson had to be a do it all.  He had no help for the majority of his career. 

Stop comparing all these guys to Melo.  He’s in a class of his own as far as being a dogshit selfish player.  But he’s great in exhibition hoops.  So there’s that...

There are some really stupid takes on here the last two pages.
Kyrie being compared to Iverson and Melo? Do y’all even watch basketball?
Yeah no idea why Kyrie would be compared to Iverson, seeing as he actually could lead a team on his own. Kyrie led his teams to one of the worst teams in the NBA each year until LeBron rescued him.

14 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Also, it has to be mentioned that Boston's struggles seem to coincide with them remodeling their offense to be Kyrie-centric....

No they don’t. If you had watched Boston you would see that.

It’s also pretty entertaining to see a guy labeled a ball hog when his single season highest usage rate is good for 163 all time. 

Edited by hobbes2702

9 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Bucks lost to the Suns:

Brook Lopez had 17 shots and went 3-17.  (0-12 from three point range.)

Giannis Antetokounmpo had 16 shots and went 14-16.

Am I missing something?  

and Lopez's ineptitude was an NBA record for most 3's without a make. 

Cavs beat 76ers but not that big a surprise. I saw the Cavs/Lakers and came away wiith the idea that this 2 win team isn't really that bad. Next year with Zion (the next Lebron), they''ll be a top 4 team in the East. 

Edited by NowThis

I was stuck in a hotel while traveling a few weeks ago and the only thing on was NBA on ESPN.  The Bucks happened to be playing.  (Think they were playing Boston but not sure.)  Antetokounmpo is basically unstoppable.  He either went to the rim whenever he wanted or posted up whenever he wanted.  Yet there would be long stretches where he wouldn't get the ball of have plays run for him.  

Thought of that last night when I saw the box score.  Bucks coaching staff seems inept.

16 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Bucks lost to the Suns:

Brook Lopez had 17 shots and went 3-17.  (0-12 from three point range.)

Giannis Antetokounmpo had 16 shots and went 14-16.

Am I missing something?  

10-44 from 3 and 20-30 from the charity stripe if I remember.

21 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I was stuck in a hotel while traveling a few weeks ago and the only thing on was NBA on ESPN.  The Bucks happened to be playing.  (Think they were playing Boston but not sure.)  Antetokounmpo is basically unstoppable.  He either went to the rim whenever he wanted or posted up whenever he wanted.  Yet there would be long stretches where he wouldn't get the ball of have plays run for him.  

Thought of that last night when I saw the box score.  Bucks coaching staff seems inept.

So inept, in fact, that they have the 2nd best record in basketball and lead the league by a wide margin in point differential. A big part of that is because they're the only team that comes close to Houston in attempted threes. That's going to lead to the occasional off night.

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Skip to the 24:50 mark and listen to what JR says about KYrie.

Yes. Let's trust the dumbass that let LeBron feel the swift end of a broomstick for the 2nd time in his Finals career. 

Edited by ztejas

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yes. Let's trust the dumbass that let LeBron feel the swift end of a broomstick for the 2nd time in his Finals career. 

What is it about you guys and Kyrie? This isn't new. People have always said Kyrie was a tough person to get along with. Evidence outside of rumors seems to support that. Bouncing on a championship team. What was said about him at Duke. All the weird things he said in the media. Not being there for your teammates last year in the ECF.

I know a lot of you want to side with Kyrie because of your dislike of Lebron, but look at the players and they tell you all you wanna know. Players wanna play with Bron and are loyal to him. Kyrie not so much. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets traded.

54 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

What is it about you guys and Kyrie? This isn't new. People have always said Kyrie was a tough person to get along with. Evidence outside of rumors seems to support that. Bouncing on a championship team. What was said about him at Duke. All the weird things he said in the media. Not being there for your teammates last year in the ECF.

I know a lot of you want to side with Kyrie because of your dislike of Lebron, but look at the players and they tell you all you wanna know. Players wanna play with Bron and are loyal to him. Kyrie not so much. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets traded.

LeBron literally came out like 5 days ago and said that the Cavs traded Kyrie behind his back and he never wanted him to leave.

It isn't my fault people that have no fucking idea what they're talking about choose to come here and start stupid discussions.

I don't "dislike LeBron" and that has nothing to do with Kyrie. I have defended Kyrie ever since the 2016 Finals because I believe he's one of the best 10 players in the league. 

Also - you're just making shit up without any sources. What was said about him at Duke? How was he not there for his teammates in the ECF? Because he was injured and couldn't play?

You can't just claim some bullshit subjective opinions as "evidence" and on top of that, I don't even understand what criticism Kyrie is facing right now. You're going to blame the Celtics struggles on the only guy on the team playing worth a shit right now? Doesn't seem like a good take whether he's a proper "fit" or not.

I mean bro - you're the one getting your opinions from JR Smith - one of the resident rockheads in the NBA who has been a cancer for multiple different teams.

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Who cares, bro? 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

LeBron literally came out like 5 days ago and said that the Cavs traded Kyrie behind his back and he never wanted him to leave.

It isn't my fault people that have no fucking idea what they're talking about choose to come here and start stupid discussions.

I don't "dislike LeBron" and that has nothing to do with Kyrie. I have defended Kyrie ever since the 2016 Finals because I believe he's one of the best 10 players in the league. 

Also - you're just making shit up without any sources. What was said about him at Duke? How was he not there for his teammates in the ECF? Because he was injured and couldn't play?

You can't just claim some bullshit subjective opinions as "evidence" and on top of that, I don't even understand what criticism Kyrie is facing right now. You're going to blame the Celtics struggles on the only guy on the team playing worth a shit right now? Doesn't seem like a good take whether he's a proper "fit" or not.

I mean bro - you're the one getting your opinions from JR Smith - one of the resident rockheads in the NBA who has been a cancer for multiple different teams.

1) It was said that Kyrie wasn't that hurt when he played for Duke. He sat out almost the entire season for a toe and then came back for the Tourney to showcase his skills and bounce. Maybe you missed that, or didn't see it as a hit on a guy's character.

2) Maybe you missed it last year but Kyrie could've scheduled his doctor appt any time, but he did so during game 7 at Boston rather than be on the bench with his teammates. That is not how you support your squad or show leadership.

3) You may have missed his world is flat comment or his most recent F*ck Thanksgiving statement. Or the myriad of other weird things he has said over time.

All in all Kyrie is clearly a "ME" guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

1) It was said that Kyrie wasn't that hurt when he played for Duke. He sat out almost the entire season for a toe and then came back for the Tourney to showcase his skills and bounce. Maybe you missed that, or didn't see it as a hit on a guy's character.

2) Maybe you missed it last year but Kyrie could've scheduled his doctor appt any time, but he did so during game 7 at Boston rather than be on the bench with his teammates. That is not how you support your squad or show leadership.

3) You may have missed his world is flat comment or his most recent F*ck Thanksgiving statement. Or the myriad of other weird things he has said over time.

All in all Kyrie is clearly a "ME" guy.

You know who had shitty character and was a big ME guy? Michael Jeffrey Jordan.

You either ball out or you don't. Kyrie balls out.

Now take a lap.