2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

31 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

New Orleans is currently 15-16, I have no idea what they will be playing for, besides going about .500 and getting bounced early in the playoffs. Last year they went 48-34 with Cousins on the team, but for some reason didn't want to try and keep him. They seem to have gotten worse this season, and are regressing back to being an average team with an insane generational talent being wasted. So I think trading AD makes the most sense for NOLA if they aren't going to make a play for another all-star to pair with him and Jrue. 

I don't think Boston is as great of a trade partner as people think. They have to send out nearly equivalent salary, which would mean Horford or Hayward+assets. I don't know who they value more between the two, but I don't think either of them are attractive to NOLA. Horford may decline his player option, but if he doesn't, then NOLA would be on the hook for 30m next year. He might be valuable in a trade as an expiring deal, but I can't see him being that useful with such a huge dollar amount. Hayward isn't attractive at all right now. Way too much money on that deal, and it would take and awful lot of assets to move it. 

Now if Boston doesn't think Kyrie is gonna stay next year, they could use his contract as the filler + assets with NOLA knowing he likely wouldn't re-sign with them. Kyrie+Brown+picks would work. It would hurt the Celtics guard depth, but if Kyrie is gone next year, they might as well bite the bullet sooner rather than later. Getting AD is franchise changing, he would be great with Brad Stevens at the helm. They would still need to make some moves to improve the backcourt, but they could do that this offseason. 

Only way it works is if Kyrie wants out to play with Durant for NYK. Kyrie has a player option so he could straight bolt and take 20MM off Bostons books and the Knicks could sign both of them easily and resign KP. Boston would need to throw a shit ton at NO in this scenario, but they would have more cap to work with - especially if they traded NO Smart who is due 13MM next season.

I know Kyrie has said as much as he's staying in Boston but I just dont see how BOS could pair him with another superstar without some wacky 3 team trade happening.

1 hour ago, UTDD said:

We will agree to disagree on this one mostly because I am confident Boston won't trade for AD unless he commits to more than one year so I definitely think it matters what AD wants for Boston specifically.  Boston also has a title contending team right now and won't risk blowing it up for even AD as a one year rental.  They just won't take that risk and OKC/Toronto were willing to take those risks because their situations were quite different.  Toronto probably wanted to get rid of DeRozan as it is, but also getting to gamble on Kawhi to boot (and also D Green) was a great risk to take.  OKC took a good risk on PG13 because their team was not anywhere close to competing without him, and they are not Boston as a brand/franchise and being able to attract other free agents.  Boston can win the NBA title or get very close right now, and they know it.  Of course they want AD, but they won't mortgage such a good roster on the chance AD signs.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it with Ainge specifically.  But having said all this, that means AD would have to turn down a LOT of money which of course is tough.  We shall see.  

I don't think that's true at all.  Again, if he says, "LA or Bust, nowhere else, other teams shouldn't even inquire!", then yes I agree the offer would be lukewarm.  But the most likely scenario is Davis would say he would like to go through the free agent process as he's never been a UFA but would be very open to re-signing in Boston should they acquire him.  Davis is from Chicago, college in Kentucky, pros in New Orleans.  He has no ties to the West Coast so him saying he would only entertain a WC location is remote.  I think if he's open to re-sign, then Ainge takes his shot especially if they don't go to the Finals this year.  You shouldn't' acquire all of these assets without ever using them to acquire a top 5 player.  This would probably be his best shot.  If he doesn't and AD goes to LA with Lebron, let me ask you how open would that window be for them?  2 years?  3?  What is Boston's window before they have to start making choices on paying guys?  2020 is shaping up to be really expensive for the Celtics, who are already over the cap.

And Toronto didn't want to get rid of DeRozan.  I'm sure if pressed Ujiri would have rather sent a soon to be 33 year old Kyle Lowry out for better assets but DD was his best asset and the only piece which could possibly get Kawhi.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Because they are two top 5 players and whatever they do will snowball throughout the league. 

Just look at everything that happened post Durant going to the Ws. 

I don't think teams are going to just shelf and put Davis on the back burner if he becomes available.  Hell, a team like the Clippers would probably be trying to sell KD on the thought of playing with Davis as they tried to trade for him.

39 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

New Orleans is currently 15-16, I have no idea what they will be playing for, besides going about .500 and getting bounced early in the playoffs. Last year they went 48-34 with Cousins on the team, but for some reason didn't want to try and keep him. They seem to have gotten worse this season, and are regressing back to being an average team with an insane generational talent being wasted. So I think trading AD makes the most sense for NOLA if they aren't going to make a play for another all-star to pair with him and Jrue. 

I don't think Boston is as great of a trade partner as people think. They have to send out nearly equivalent salary, which would mean Horford or Hayward+assets. I don't know who they value more between the two, but I don't think either of them are attractive to NOLA. Horford may decline his player option, but if he doesn't, then NOLA would be on the hook for 30m next year. He might be valuable in a trade as an expiring deal, but I can't see him being that useful with such a huge dollar amount. Hayward isn't attractive at all right now. Way too much money on that deal, and it would take and awful lot of assets to move it. 

Now if Boston doesn't think Kyrie is gonna stay next year, they could use his contract as the filler + assets with NOLA knowing he likely wouldn't re-sign with them. Kyrie+Brown+picks would work. It would hurt the Celtics guard depth, but if Kyrie is gone next year, they might as well bite the bullet sooner rather than later. Getting AD is franchise changing, he would be great with Brad Stevens at the helm. They would still need to make some moves to improve the backcourt, but they could do that this offseason. 

Kyrie and Davis are very tight.  Very unlikely Davis would go to Boston only to trade Kyrie back.  Also, New Orleans has been one of the most injured teams in the league and are currently only 3 games back from the 4 seed.  

6 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

I wish I could into the endless speculation of where players x, y and z will go , but it sure seems like a waste of time. Regular fans don't have any way to know so why not just wait and see...

Um. This is much better than discussing fake moon landings or Derka talking to himself or retarded Kopp0e links.  Anything that resembles actual, coherent discussion among fans of the sport I'm in favor of.

13 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I don't think teams are going to just shelf and put Davis on the back burner if he becomes available.  Hell, a team like the Clippers would probably be trying to sell KD on the thought of playing with Davis as they tried to trade for him

Not the point I'm making. It seems that yall are looking at options for Davis based on the current league structure. If Kawhi and KD both leave after this season it will shake the snow globe a bit to speak.

After that happens, hypothetically, rosters could look different and the teams that were either attractive to AD or able to make an offer to NO could be different. 

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Always liked Steven Adams.  He might be one of the only current post player who would have thrived in the old school days when interior play was glorified pro wrestling.  He's massive, loves contact, and can really move.

funny thing is hes not out looking body people... but hes just so goddamn strong that it happens.

also not in a million year did i think this clean cut looking kid would turn into a tatted dothraki

Steven-Adams-Throwback.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe the NBA should take Rory's advice

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/rory-mcilroys-solution-for-unruly-fans-limit-alcohol-sales-on-the-course

"I don't know, it used to be like you bring beers on to the course or buy beers, but not liquor. And now it seems like everyone's walking around with a cocktail or whatever. So I don't know whether it's just go back to letting people walk around with beers in their hand, that's fine, but, I don't know."

He also alluded to the Waste Management, which has certainly encouraged certain behavior at other tournaments on the schedule.

"It's obviously a lot of tournaments see how successful Phoenix is and they want to try to replicate that, which is great, it's great for the tournament, it's great for us, but golf is different than a football game and there's etiquette involved and you don't want again like you don't want people to be put off from bringing their kids when people are shouting stuff out. You want people to enjoy themselves, have a good day, so, yeah."

Edited by ztejas

8 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Always liked Steven Adams.  He might be one of the only current post player who would have thrived in the old school days when interior play was glorified pro wrestling.  He's massive, loves contact, and can really move.

I got so much shit on the old site for saying he was one of the best young bigs in the league and had potential to make an all defense team at some point. 

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

I got so much shit on the old site for saying he was one of the best young bigs in the league and had potential to make an all defense team at some point. 

No shit from me.  He's a legit 7'0"/265 lbs and can move and cover space.  He has some serviceable offensive skills at this point but if he didn't play with Westbrook hogging the rebounds, Adams could easily have 12-15 rebounds per game.  Still only 25 years old, too.

On 12/20/2018 at 8:36 AM, 52-80 said:

funny thing is hes not out looking body people... but hes just so goddamn strong that it happens.

also not in a million year did i think this clean cut looking kid would turn into a tatted dothraki

Steven-Adams-Throwback.jpg

He also has a supporting role in a new DC film... (or maybe not) 😉

The NBA has one African-American owner..... a guy that happens to be regarded as the GOAT.  Players are traded, signed, and discarded like cattle (highly compensated) all the time (just like the NFL).  The NFL has tons of issues and minority ownership and upper management is definitely one of them, but the NBA ain't exactly reflective of America in it's owner composition.  It's the league of Donald Sterling for fuck's sake.  Let's agree all the major sports have a real issue with race and minority ownership/decision making.  We as consumers have probably given all of them too much of a pass.

• Like 1

Good for Bron. He’s right. The NFL is a garbage league that treats its money makers like shit
Explain the differences of the NFL and NBA? There isn't much besides the guaranteed contracts. NBA owners are from the same litter as NFL owners. Old rich white men. That have the same mindset. Both leagues treat their superstars and the the rest is expendable and treated like cattle.

Guaranteed contracts are a big fucking deal especially in a game where injuries are much more common. That and players are clearly more empowered in the NBA than in the NFL, at least at the top end. The NBA isn’t perfect by any means but he’s right about how bad the NFL is in comparison 

• Like 2

Meh. is this about Le'veon Bell missing work at 850,000 a week? The more and more money that is passed around from TV contracts, the more guaranteed money contracts, the more the public is going to give less of a flying fuck about any professional sport. you can already see it on this message board alone.

and yes, ill be a slave to a old white man for 4 years, 137 million. They need to go back to being blessed to have any athletic ability in their body to be making the kind of coin they do. how many jobs in America do the employees try to run the company over the employer? Besides Lebron of course..

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM
  • Like 1

NFL contracts are dog shit.  There are average NBA players making as much as NFL superstars with the money being guaranteed at that.  I always like how when an NFL player holds out, fans bag on them for loyalty but there's a shoulder shrug when the same player is cut in the middle of a contract without being paid the full amount.

Granted, the NFL has worked around this a little with the signing bonuses but that usually only applies to the stars.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

The more and more money that is passed around from TV contracts, the more guaranteed money contracts, the more the public is going to give less of a flying fuck about any professional sport.

So you're one of those dudes that resents athletes for how much money they make?

The NBA is as popular at it's ever been in an era of supermax contracts.

• Like 1

So, I actually watched the show (which isn't as groundbreaking as they want you to think it is), and Lebron is reacting within the context of the kneeling issue, not contractually.  Within this context, I would have to agree he has a tremendous point.  The NFL, mainly because they're incredibly lacking in leadership and ignorant as shit, botched the entire kneeling situation.  Face fucked themselves and I hope Kaep's collusion lawsuit destroys most of them individually.  I hope he get 500 million because those assholes think they're fucking bulletproof.

I will say that I'm starting to get pretty annoyed with "old rich white men" becoming synonymous with "racist plantation owner." It's not a crime to be rich, and not everyone is Donald Sterling. 

Pro sports teams are fucking expensive, usually taking generational wealth to purchase. Obviously, for some pretty terrible reasons, generational wealth is largely held by white men. But that's slowly changing, and there's certainly no gatekeepers keeping minorities out of ownership roles. Money talks. If and when a minority group offers $8B (or whatever the fuck would be considered above market) to Robert Kraft, he'll be happy to sell.

I don't think any of that was too cloak roomy, but your mileage may vary.

As far as NFL contracts, yeah, non-guaranteed contracts suck, but their players union is pretty weak and fans have largely backed up the fact that, at most, only quarterbacks really matter l. Everyone else is just an interchangeable fantasy stat-line. So they're fighting an uphill battle.

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

So you're one of those dudes that resents athletes for how much money they make?

The NBA is as popular at it's ever been in an era of supermax contracts.

when the guy says "slave" and "millionaires(not forced at all,  they chose this occupation) living a dream life" in the same sentence? Yes thats a little off putting. LeBrons the most powerful man in sports and hes starting to use his pedestal now trying to acquire Anthony Davis. Who the fuck is going to say anything? Silver? Magic? Luke Walton? You dont think the small market GM's resent LeBron and his power, especially now that hes on the most storied franchise in the league? Or would applying tampering charges on the Lakers/Lebron make it a slave like setting since LeBron isn't getting his way? 

Yahoo Sources: LeBron James, Anthony Davis met for postgame dinner last night in LA with Lakers in driver’s seat to pair the stars together.

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

when the guy says "slave" and "millionaires(not forced at all,  they chose this occupation) living a dream life" in the same sentence? Yes thats a little off putting. LeBrons the most powerful man in sports and hes starting to use his pedestal now trying to acquire Anthony Davis. Who the fuck is going to say anything? Silver? Magic? Luke Walton? You dont think the small market GM's resent LeBron and his power, especially now that hes on the most storied franchise in the league? Or would applying tampering charges on the Lakers/Lebron make it a slave like setting since LeBron isn't getting his way? 

Yahoo Sources: LeBron James, Anthony Davis met for postgame dinner last night in LA with Lakers in driver’s seat to pair the stars together.

Dudes have been going to dinner after/before games for years.     Its no different than a bunch of accountants going out for drinks during a convention.      You will never be able to stop players from talking to each other and sometimes that talk will turn to them playing together.

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

Dudes have been going to dinner after/before games for years.     Its no different than a bunch of accountants going out for drinks during a convention.      You will never be able to stop players from talking to each other and sometimes that talk will turn to them playing together.

Yea you probably wont. The timing about this is all weird with the media question to Lebron, then the Woj story about small market GM's being pissed off, to now a dinner with Brow.

but yea, im sure there wasn't any seeds planted into Brows head on how to force his way to the Lakers, meanwhile LBJ is back at Magics office saying lets offer these 3 guys and Brow will sign here for 5 years plus KD is coming too.

I mean whats the point for the rest of us to even watch until the GS dynasty is over and LBJ retires? I think LBJ is brilliant on the court. but once he starts forming his super team in LA because he's seed planting....then what the fuck?

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Yea you probably wont. The timing about this is all weird with the media question to Lebron, then the Woj story about small market GM's being pissed off, to now a dinner with Brow.

but yea, im sure there wasn't any seeds planted into Brows head on how to force his way to the Lakers, meanwhile LBJ is back at Magics office saying lets offer these 3 guys and Brow will sign here for 5 years plus KD is coming too.

I mean whats the point for the rest of us to even watch until the GS dynasty is over and LBJ retires? I think LBJ is brilliant on the court. but once he starts forming his super team in LA because he's seed planting....then what the fuck?

They share agents.   An agent that has best friends with LBJ since high school.    LBJ has known exactly what AD wants to do since last summer at least.  

Edited by d2o

57 minutes ago, d2o said:

They share agents.   An agent that has best friends with LBJ since high school.    LBJ has known exactly what AD wants to do since last summer at least.  

I don't think AD knows what he wants to do..... More like, Maverick Carter wants to steer AD to LA, much like they were trying to do with Kawhi.  Doesn't matter because New Orleans will do what's in their best interests.

23 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I don't think AD knows what he wants to do..... More like, Maverick Carter wants to steer AD to LA, much like they were trying to do with Kawhi.  Doesn't matter because New Orleans will do what's in their best interests.

I'm pretty sure he has a pretty good of what he wants and what team gives him the best option to accomplish that.   I'm sure his first option is to stay in NO but there has or will come a point where he determines that he cannot win there.