2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

On 12/16/2018 at 9:35 AM, Vic Mackey said:
On 12/16/2018 at 3:58 AM, ztejas said:
No one gives a fuck about the pussy ass fucking glow lite bitch ass Lakers. Suck a dick.

You seem pretty triggered by the Lakers. I enjoy when the Lakers are good. But I get why people don't I guess.

I was hammered. It was 4 am. Apologies for the neg, I have rescinded it, but I will not retract my statement. 

23 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Is this what the internet is now -- just videos and shitty photoshops with no discussion? I'm fucking old AF I guess.

the mlb thread and baseball board are great for discussion. the nba thread is generally better than most for discussion. the hoops board in general is pretty lacking as far as discussion goes. the football board is worse. and the truth is that most people here whine and complain and "tl;dr" anything that's more than one paragraph. so yeah. this is mostly what it is now. 

aggie and patrick bateman probably contribute like 85% of the NBA discussion that isn't about all that off court stuff (luxury tax, bird rights, ufa's, etc), which i don't read because i don't care about it. then you have a couple dedicated team threads. that's mostly it for the nba.

as far as texas hoops goes i might literally post more words than everyone else combined some days. between how bad we've been for so long now, the fact that posters like whoootex and wulaw are gone, and the fact that there was not that much lengthy/daily/in depth discussion to begin with, it's pretty dry around here. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah this thread sucks this year.

I blame the OP.  LOL.  J/K.

NBA season doesn't really get interesting until the ASB and with all 3 Texas teams in some sort of disarray or rebuild, it's natural this thread would be a little slow.  I'm sure it'll pickup as we get closer to the playoffs and after a few trades get done.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Of course Lebron made excuses in the locker room interview instead of just giving Allen credit. Some bullshit about how he wasn't warmed up and how much younger Allen is. Take the block, pussy!

LeBron is such a fucking whiner. I've grown to like him a lot more since his Heatles days but my God the dude always has some excuse lined up ready to go. The hoops he jumps through to protect his own mythos are ridiculous sometimes. 

Then you have the stans, where, when LeBron loses it's all because he's playing with scrubs, but when LeBron wins it's because he's the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ. 
KD was so spot on when he gave that answer to what it's like playing with LeBron and why it isn't a good thing for a lot of players. 

• Like 1

Man, the AD to LA talk is going to get really, really old over the next 6+ months.  It ain't happening.  At least not anytime soon.  Even if AD wants to play for the Lakers, New Orleans isn't going to take a single phone call until after they put a $235M contract extension in front of AD this offseason, and make him say no. After that, New Orleans' only obligation is to get the best deal that they possibly can if they think AD is gone after the 2019-2020 season.  Boston (among others) has been preparing for this offseason for most of the decade, and can put together a package that totally dwarfs anything that LA could offer.  So, let's say Boston trades for him, but he still wants to go to LA; he's not a free agent until the 2020-2021 season...there is absolutely no fucking way that LeBron is letting Magic reserve cap space until 2020.

His only realistic path to LA is to pull a Kyrie/Kawhi/Jimmy and demand out of NO, and then one-up them by making it absolutely clear that he won't even report for anyone but the Lakers, much less re-sign with them.  I can't see him doing that, Rich Paul and all.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Man, the AD to LA talk is going to get really, really old over the next 6+ months.  It ain't happening.  At least not anytime soon.  Even if AD wants to play for the Lakers, New Orleans isn't going to take a single phone call until after they put a $235M contract extension in front of AD this offseason, and make him say no. After that, New Orleans' only obligation is to get the best deal that they possibly can if they think AD is gone after the 2019-2020 season.  Boston (among others) has been preparing for this offseason for most of the decade, and can put together a package that totally dwarfs anything that LA could offer.  So, let's say Boston trades for him, but he still wants to go to LA; he's not a free agent until the 2020-2021 season...there is absolutely no fucking way that LeBron is letting Magic reserve cap space until 2020.

His only realistic path to LA is to pull a Kyrie/Kawhi/Jimmy and demand out of NO, and then one-up them by making it absolutely clear that he won't even report for anyone but the Lakers, much less re-sign with them.  I can't see him doing that, Rich Paul and all.

It's definitely going to get old.  Fast.  AD I think is 90% to leave New Orleans mostly because he is probably convinced already he can't win a title there and he wants to expand his brand in a major market.  He is a little more wired like Kobe and Kyrie versus LeBron or Durant, and I think he's tailor made for certain major markets.  I think it's only LA, NY, or Boston with Chicago an extreme deep sleeper possibility since he is from there.  AD controls where he goes -- if he insists LA or bust, New Orleans will offer the max this summer and AD will turn it down.  Then New Orleans will likely have to demand at minimum Lonzo, Kuzma, and Ingram+ and try and do a sign and trade.  Boston can offer a good package if they are willing to include Tatum but they won't unless they know AD will sign there long-term, so again it's all up to AD anyway.  I think in some ways AD doesn't need LeBron there as much as the prior history of Lakers big men and being the future face of that franchise post-LeBron as big motivators.  AD has a summer home already in LA, but that in itself isn't conclusive either.  Rich Paul of course is a factor in that AD chose him over any other agent on the planet for his specific reasons, but those reasons don't necessarily mean LA.  AD controls his future, not Rich Paul or anyone else, and it will go down in the end how AD wants.  I personally think he is going to LA long-term but it might not be next year. 

Are Lonzo, Kuzma, and Ingram (heck, throw in Hart if you want) really moving the needle for a New Orleans team that can barely make the playoffs as is?  If they lose AD, they're probably going to try to bottom out.  Those guys with Holiday would put them in the 35-45 wins category, which no teams wants to be in.  They'll want draft picks, and Boston still have a king's ransom.  Not to mention if Jaylen Brown can get back to not sucking. 

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Are Lonzo, Kuzma, and Ingram (heck, throw in Hart if you want) really moving the needle for a New Orleans team that can barely make the playoffs as is?  If they lose AD, they're probably going to try to bottom out.  Those guys with Holiday would put them in the 35-45 wins category, which no teams wants to be in.  They'll want draft picks, and Boston still have a king's ransom.  Not to mention if Jaylen Brown can get back to not sucking. 

Yeah agreed in principle -- of course if I'm New Orleans would rather deal with Boston and for draft picks, but their real problem is if AD won't sign with Boston long-term.  Boston is not a realistic option and trading partner one on one unless AD says he will sign there long-term so they really are at the mercy of AD's desire on that end.  Ainge won't risk so much capital without assurance beyond 2019.  He's probably too smart for that, I would bet it's not likely to be a Kawhi/Toronto or PG13/OKC scenario where they take the risk because they would have to give up so much for AD and as is right now they are already such a strong team that is a title contender.

I'm not sure what else New Orleans could do if forced to deal with LA but one thing they could do is force LA to work with a third team to get draft picks.  If I'm New Orleans I'd maybe want Kuzma, a lot of draft picks, maybe Hart if value is good, but not Ingram for sure.  I'd actually as New Orleans hope NY or Chicago could even be viable for AD because those teams might have some draft capital as well and it won't force them to deal with the Lakers.  Maybe New Orleans could force LA into making prior or simultaneous trades for a lot of good draft picks going forward, plus still being able to maybe force even more of a dump of more of their own contracts they don't want long-term for a true blow up.    

21 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If anything.... they could be Lakers Gulf Coast by joining Randle there.  They'd have all the Lakers' pieces from last year...... 

Davis to Lakers gets tons and tons of clicks so it's going to be very annoying all season even if totally unrealistic this year.

It would be exceptionally foolish for the Cans to even consider trading Davis until this summer at the earliest, even Lebron's mouthpiece, Fatman, admits.  Also, Davis and Kyrie are tight as shit and the Celtics are hoping this relationship is part of the "recruitment" process if/when he demands a trade from New Orleans.  The Celtics obviously have much more to trade than the Lakers, who have seen the trade value on Ingram continue to go south.  Tatum or Hayward, Brown, Smart and a first for Davis and filler is better than anything the Lakers could do.

We should really only check in on Davis to "blank" after the season....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I think he ends up in Boston. It’s a big enough market, they have tradition, they would be title favorites. Plus the offers Boston can put on the table, even without including Tatum blow everyone else out of the water. 

Definitely agree about the assets and what a great situation it could be for AD.  If AD wants to go to Boston beyond one year, he will end up there.  If he doesn't, he won't.  

17 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If anything.... they could be Lakers Gulf Coast by joining Randle there.  They'd have all the Lakers' pieces from last year...... 

Davis to Lakers gets tons and tons of clicks so it's going to be very annoying all season even if totally unrealistic this year.

It would be exceptionally foolish for the Cans to even consider trading Davis until this summer at the earliest, even Lebron's mouthpiece, Fatman, admits.  Also, Davis and Kyrie are tight as shit and the Celtics are hoping this relationship is part of the "recruitment" process if/when he demands a trade from New Orleans.  The Celtics obviously have much more to trade than the Lakers, who have seen the trade value on Ingram continue to go south.  Tatum or Hayward, Brown, Smart and a first for Davis and filler is better than anything the Lakers could do.

We should really only check in on Davis to "blank" after the season....

I had to rep you just for the Fatman mouthpiece reference -- more true for some people deep in professional basketball circles than one might think...

I think AD should consider the Celtics, I'm just not convinced he will when it's all said and done.  I personally think he would win big there if he did though. 

If I'm New Orleans I don't even want Ingram, his trade value right now (even down some this year) is probably more than his true value long-term.  I'm not sure I want Smart or Brown either though as Brown looks bad this year.  Definitely not Hayward, that would be incredibly foolish for New Orleans given his injury, age, and contract.  That will be a bad deal very soon.  If I'm New Orleans at minimum I'm opening with Boston's other three first round 2019 picks (IF they pan out they are protected in different ways) + Tatum and Williams as a throw-in developmental big man as a minimum start and work from there with more stuff.  I'd try and ask Boston to try and move Horford to a third team for an additional good draft pick too.

11 minutes ago, UTDD said:

I had to rep you just for the Fatman mouthpiece reference -- more true for some people deep in professional basketball circles than one might think...

I think AD should consider the Celtics, I'm just not convinced he will when it's all said and done.  I personally think he would win big there if he did though. 

If I'm New Orleans I don't even want Ingram, his trade value right now (even down some this year) is probably more than his true value long-term.  I'm not sure I want Smart or Brown either though as Brown looks bad this year.  Definitely not Hayward, that would be incredibly foolish for New Orleans given his injury, age, and contract.  That will be a bad deal very soon.  If I'm New Orleans at minimum I'm opening with Boston's other three first round 2019 picks (IF they pan out they are protected in different ways) + Tatum and Williams as a throw-in developmental big man as a minimum start and work from there with more stuff.  I'd try and ask Boston to try and move Horford to a third team for an additional good draft pick too.

But, it doesn't really matter what AD wants, at least not in isolation, it's not his choice this summer and no under contract player has been so resolute as to destination as the landscape could fall out from under them.  Paul George wanted out and most knew he wanted to be moved to LA, he was traded to OKC.  Kawhi wanted out and told everyone he wanted LA, he got shipped to a different country.  It doesn't really matter if AD says he'd prefer the Lakers, unless he says, "Lakers or I sit out the season", which he won't, then there will be some leverage exerted by multiple forces.

I think Brown still has a lot of talent and if I could get him and Tatum plus that unprotected first in 2021, then that's probably enough.  Money would still have to work out and there's where you have to unload a Smart or Horford (very doubtful).

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Depends on what KD and Kawhi do.

AD talk is premature until those two make their decisions. If they both bolt it will change the entire landscape.

Why?  Neither are expected to go to Boston.  KD's not going to the Lakers.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

36 minutes ago, UTDD said:

Ainge won't risk so much capital without assurance beyond 2019.  He's probably too smart for that, I would bet it's not likely to be a Kawhi/Toronto or PG13/OKC scenario where they take the risk because they would have to give up so much for AD and as is right now they are already such a strong team that is a title contender.

I disagree.  Even if KD stays in Golden State, AD to Boston might make them the betting favorites to win the title next year, especially if Hayward can come close to returning to form by this season's end.  That would be well worth all the draft picks they've compiled (which aren't looking quite as good now with Memphis and Sacramento playing competent basketball).  Taking the gamble--even at the cost of Tatum--that AD won't leave a Finals team or, if things go well, a defending champion would be worth it to Ainge, I'm guessing.

...especially if it screws over the hated Lakers.

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

But, it doesn't really matter what AD wants, it's not his choice this summer and no under contract player has been so resolute as to destination as the landscape could fall out from under them.  Paul George wanted out and most knew he wanted to be moved to LA, he was traded to OKC.  Kawhi wanted out and told everyone he wanted LA, he got shipped to a different country.  It doesn't really matter if AD says he'd prefer the Lakers, unless he says, "Lakers or I sit out the season", which he won't, then there will be some leverage exerted by multiple forces.

We will agree to disagree on this one mostly because I am confident Boston won't trade for AD unless he commits to more than one year so I definitely think it matters what AD wants for Boston specifically.  Boston also has a title contending team right now and won't risk blowing it up for even AD as a one year rental.  They just won't take that risk and OKC/Toronto were willing to take those risks because their situations were quite different.  Toronto probably wanted to get rid of DeRozan as it is, but also getting to gamble on Kawhi to boot (and also D Green) was a great risk to take.  OKC took a good risk on PG13 because their team was not anywhere close to competing without him, and they are not Boston as a brand/franchise and being able to attract other free agents.  Boston can win the NBA title or get very close right now, and they know it.  Of course they want AD, but they won't mortgage such a good roster on the chance AD signs.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it with Ainge specifically.  But having said all this, that means AD would have to turn down a LOT of money which of course is tough.  We shall see.  

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Why?  Neither are expected to go to Boston.  KD's not going to the Lakers.

Because they are two top 5 players and whatever they do will snowball throughout the league. 

Just look at everything that happened post Durant going to the Ws. 

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I disagree.  Even if KD stays in Golden State, AD to Boston might make them the betting favorites to win the title next year, especially if Hayward can come close to returning to form by this season's end.  That would be well worth all the draft picks they've compiled (which aren't looking quite as good now with Memphis and Sacramento playing competent basketball).  Taking the gamble--even at the cost of Tatum--that AD won't leave a Finals team or, if things go well, a defending champion would be worth it to Ainge, I'm guessing.

...especially if it screws over the hated Lakers.

You may be right and I certainly wouldn't claim to know for sure either way, we will agree to disagree and we shall see.  I don't think the Lakers will have any bearing on Ainge, it's just what's best for the Celtics long-term and nothing else.

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

I think he ends up in Boston. It’s a big enough market, they have tradition, they would be title favorites. Plus the offers Boston can put on the table, even without including Tatum blow everyone else out of the water. 

They also have Stevens at the helm, that has to be enticing enough. 

Edited by Underdog

New Orleans is currently 15-16, I have no idea what they will be playing for, besides going about .500 and getting bounced early in the playoffs. Last year they went 48-34 with Cousins on the team, but for some reason didn't want to try and keep him. They seem to have gotten worse this season, and are regressing back to being an average team with an insane generational talent being wasted. So I think trading AD makes the most sense for NOLA if they aren't going to make a play for another all-star to pair with him and Jrue. 

I don't think Boston is as great of a trade partner as people think. They have to send out nearly equivalent salary, which would mean Horford or Hayward+assets. I don't know who they value more between the two, but I don't think either of them are attractive to NOLA. Horford may decline his player option, but if he doesn't, then NOLA would be on the hook for 30m next year. He might be valuable in a trade as an expiring deal, but I can't see him being that useful with such a huge dollar amount. Hayward isn't attractive at all right now. Way too much money on that deal, and it would take and awful lot of assets to move it. 

Now if Boston doesn't think Kyrie is gonna stay next year, they could use his contract as the filler + assets with NOLA knowing he likely wouldn't re-sign with them. Kyrie+Brown+picks would work. It would hurt the Celtics guard depth, but if Kyrie is gone next year, they might as well bite the bullet sooner rather than later. Getting AD is franchise changing, he would be great with Brad Stevens at the helm. They would still need to make some moves to improve the backcourt, but they could do that this offseason.