2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

11 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Maybe so but let it be known that you will never ever ever out-petty Dan Gilbert.

Yeah, it does look pretty obvious that they signed McCaw to a deal too rich for the Warriors to match (it would have cost them an extra $11.3M in luxury tax this season on top of the contract) already knowing that they'd cut him before the contract became guaranteed. Incredibly pathetic on Cleveland's part, but, like you said, that's Gilbert in a nutshell.

I don't think McCaw and Golden State want much to do with one another anymore anyway, so it is what it is.

Edited by aggie08

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, it does look pretty obvious that they signed McCaw to a deal too rich for the Warriors to match (it would have cost them an extra $11.3M in luxury tax this season on top of the contract) already knowing that they'd cut him before the contract became guaranteed. Incredibly pathetic on Cleveland's part, but, like you said, that's Gilbert in a nutshell.

I don't think McCaw and Golden State want much to do with one another anymore anyway, so it is what it is.

What about it is pathetic? The deal helps McCaw because now he's unrestricted and teams can over him more realistic deals without needing to worry about Golden State potentially matching.

25 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

What about it is pathetic? The deal helps McCaw because now he's unrestricted and teams can over him more realistic deals without needing to worry about Golden State potentially matching.

Offering an inflated contract that you have absolutely no intention of honoring largely to screw over another team is shady and bad business. It simply isn't done.

If you want to argue the flaws of restricted free-agency--of which there are many--go ahead, but the Cavaliers aren't being crusaders here. They exploited a loophole...congratulations...good luck convincing other executives on their next transaction that they're negotiating in good faith.

• Like 1

Offering an inflated contract that you have absolutely no intention of honoring largely to screw over another team is shady and bad business. It simply isn't done.
If you want to argue the flaws of restricted free-agency--of which there are many--go ahead, but the Cavaliers aren't being crusaders here. They exploited a loophole...congratulations...good luck convincing other executives on their next transaction that they're negotiating in good faith.
The fuck does this have to do with other executives? They did a favor for McCaw and his agent at the expense of the Warriors. His agent may remember that down the line.

Also, fuck the Warriors.
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It's also important to remember..... and to me this is the most important piece, Patrick McCaw is fucking terrible.  He belongs in the G league...

Yeah, this is why it's not a big deal. If it was a player that people actually cared about, Cleveland wouldn't have had the nerve to deal underhandedly.

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, this is why it's not a big deal. If it was a player that people actually cared about, Cleveland wouldn't have had the nerve to deal underhandedly.

Sure.  Or, Cleveland was doing the agent or McCaw himself a solid, not to mention they may end up signing him to a cheaper deal.  I don't see the big deal.  He was a RFA and the Warriors chose not to match, which is their right.  Seems obvious that McCaw didn't want to play for the W's under their terms and the Warriors thought they had him by the balls.  His reps found a willing participant and a way out (ironically after his father totally misplayed his son's hand) so he gets his service year and now is a UFA.  Who gives a fuck?  If the Warriors wanted him they would have matched.  They didn't....so now he's gone.

7 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

The fuck does this have to do with other executives? They did a favor for McCaw and his agent at the expense of the Warriors. His agent may remember that down the line.

Also, fuck the Warriors.

yeah this is my thinking.   This was a favor to the agent that I'm sure the agent will be expected to return in the future. 

2 hours ago, d2o said:

League opening a review on the McCaw catch/release.

http://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1082773964303360001

It's not going to lead to anything because, again, it's Patrick McCaw. But if it was someone with a bigger name, it might have cost them a first round pick (assuming they could prove the obvious collusion, of course). This is not how the NBA wants teams doing business, and I assume that they'll close the loophole. I hope that McCaw's agent comes through for them with a "solid" that's worth it.

McCaw could have been professional and asked out of Golden State months ago. They would have renounced his rights had he made it clear that under no circumstances would he stay in the Bay. But he wanted to use the Warriors' take it, or leave it 2yr/$5.2M offer as leverage to get more somewhere else. That's his right, but it's 4 months later, and literally no one bit. Now he's desperate and needed to find a way to not look like damaged goods, so he found probably the only team in the league that would sign off on a bogus deal.

I watched the wiggins noel collision live. At first I was like "damn..who is this andrew wiggins". Then noel didnt move for like 5 seconds and he was sound asleep. Scary stuff. Relieved he avoided any fractures, that whip to his head onto the court was nasty.

Of course OKC fans booed wiggins(hes had a lot of that done to him lately) like he did a dirty move. Andrew responded with his best game of the season and one of the best in his career.

Actually since he was booed at home hes played really well.

12 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I watched the wiggins noel collision live. At first I was like "damn..who is this andrew wiggins". Then noel didnt move for like 5 seconds and he was sound asleep. Scary stuff. Relieved he avoided any fractures, that whip to his head onto the court was nasty.

Of course OKC fans booed wiggins(hes had a lot of that done to him lately) like he did a dirty move. Andrew responded with his best game of the season and one of the best in his career.

Actually since he was booed at home hes played really well.

Simmons and Lowe threw out a couple player comps for Wiggins from the late 2000s that I thought were interesting in Jeff Green and Rudy Gay.

Edited by Machinator

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Simmons and Lowe threw out a couple interesting player comps for Wiggins from the late 2000s that I thought were interesting in Jeff Green and Rudy Gay.

I heard that too. They also pointed out the obvious: that he needs the ball, but can't shoot or make plays for others. Even before you add lack of effort, that's a bad combination.

8 hours ago, Llogg said:

That's generous.

Its about on point.  I like Jeff Green but Wiggins has already reached a higher ceiling than he or Rudy Gay as an individual player.   He doesnt do a whole lot to actually help his team win.   He's still pretty young though.  He will never live up to the #1 pick but just like Rudy and Green he will probably settle in a decent role player for a team as he gets older.

Edited by d2o

10 minutes ago, d2o said:

Its about on point.  I like Jeff Green but Wiggins has already reached a higher ceiling than he or Rudy Gay as an individual player.   He doesnt do a whole lot to actually help his team win.   He's still pretty young though.  He will never live up to the #1 pick but just like Rudy and Green he will probably settle in a decent role player for a team as he gets older.

It's year 5 and he's still a fucking awful player.  He's still trying to be Jeff Green and that's just sad.  .32 WS/48 with a 12.8 PER and .500 TS% with a -0.2 VORP.  All of that is disgusting and he still doesn't play a lick of defense.  Rudy Gay?  He's so far away from Rudy Gay at this stage, he can't even see him with binoculars.  Yea, there's still time but it's running out.  He's a terrible player.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It's year 5 and he's still a fucking awful player.  He's still trying to be Jeff Green and that's just sad.  .32 WS/48 with a 12.8 PER and .500 TS% with a -0.2 VORP.  All of that is disgusting and he still doesn't play a lick of defense.  Rudy Gay?  He's so far away from Rudy Gay at this stage, he can't even see him with binoculars.  Yea, there's still time but it's running out.  He's a terrible player.

Rudy had the same wrap a few years ago.  He bounced around from MEM/TOR/SAC because of it.   He was about 25-26 during that time.   Prior to that he was just shot and put up decent numbers while doing nothing to really help teams win.   Wiggins will be 24 next month.

6 minutes ago, d2o said:

Rudy had the same wrap a few years ago.  He bounced around from MEM/TOR/SAC because of it.   He was about 25-26 during that time.   Prior to that he was just shot and put up decent numbers while doing nothing to really help teams win.   Wiggins will be 24 next month.

And Rudy was still levels better.... I mean it's not that close.  Gay helped you win, even if some of the stats were empty.  Wiggins does not.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Wait, are you suggesting that Wiggins could eventually reach the level of Green or Gay or that he is currently at their level? If the former I am uninterested in the speculation. If the latter you are simply wrong. Would San Antonio trade Gay for Wiggins straight up? Of course not. And this is Rudy post-potentially career ending Achilles injury.

To belabor the point, at age 23 Gay had a VORP of 1.9. Wiggins is currently -0.2 (and has not been positive in any season so far). Jeff Green's VORP at age 23 was 2.4.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gayru01.html#all_advanced

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wiggian01.html#all_advanced

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenje02.html#all_advanced

Edited by Llogg
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, d2o said:

Wiggins has already reached a higher ceiling than he or Rudy Gay as an individual player. 

This has to be a top 10 worst take on the entire 42 pages of this thread and that is a pretty fucking hard list to crack. 

andrew-wiggins.png

andrew-wiggins2.png

The discussion stops here. Wiggins is trash. A 40 point game doesn't change shit. I saw him play in person 10 days ago. He is trash. He doesn't play defense, he fucking sucks at rebounding, his shot selection is below G-League level. 

If the Wolves hadn't given him that atrocious contract (which very well might be the worst contract in the league) he would be lucky to even be on a roster. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

This has to be a top 10 worst take on the entire 42 pages of this thread and that is a pretty fucking hard list to crack. 

andrew-wiggins.png

andrew-wiggins2.png

The discussion stops here. Wiggins is trash. A 40 point game doesn't change shit. I saw him play in person 10 days ago. He is trash. He doesn't play defense, he fucking sucks at rebounding, his shot selection is below G-League level. 

If the Wolves hadn't given him that atrocious contract (which very well might be the worst contract in the league) he would be lucky to even be on a roster. 

5 hours ago, Llogg said:

Wait, are you suggesting that Wiggins could eventually reach the level of Green or Gay or that he is currently at their level? If the former I am uninterested in the speculation. If the latter you are simply wrong. Would San Antonio trade Gay for Wiggins straight up? Of course not. And this is Rudy post-potentially career ending Achilles injury.

To belabor the point, at age 23 Gay had a VORP of 1.9. Wiggins is currently -0.2 (and has not been positive in any season so far). Jeff Green's VORP at age 23 was 2.4.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gayru01.html#all_advanced

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wiggian01.html#all_advanced

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenje02.html#all_advanced

You guys can bring out the advanced numbers to show that he doesn't contribute to wins which is exactly what I've admitted from the start.   However he scores more, rebounds similarly, and shoots comparatively to Rudy and Green.   In a vacuum, he is equal or better individual basketball player IMO.   If you want him to positively impact your team overall, look elsewhere.   All I've said.   

I think eventually he will figure it out and be solid role player in their mold after he bounces around for a while and more teams/coaches tell him about his deficiencies.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:
ok, someone let me in on the joke: why are people voting for derrick rose?

You're just upset hes beating harden

i mean, yeah, it's dumb but i'm curious as to why people are voting for rose in particular. 

if they wanted to vote for someone who didn't deserve it, russell westbrook is a much better candidate. 

15 hours ago, d2o said:

wat.