2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Huh? That was the right call.

no way. that ball did not hit the rim. i cant even believe my luck at this moment, but my fucking remote just broke and is not rewinding right now, otherwise i would récord the replay and post it here. There was a replay that they showed only once which definitively showed that the ball did not hit the rim. I have no idea why they kept showing th other angle 50 times,  it i'd bet money that ball did not touch the rim. 

Just now, Goo Punch said:

no way. that ball did not hit the rim. i cant even believe my luck at this moment, but my fucking remote just broke and is not rewinding right now, otherwise i would récord the replay and post it here. There was a replay that they showed only once which definitively showed that the ball did not hit the rim. I have no idea why they kept showing th other angle 50 times,  it i'd bet money that ball did not touch the rim. 

The ball changed trajectory such that there was no way it couldn't have hit the rim.

Fortunately, it didn't matter.

Edited by Machinator

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The ball changed trajectory such that there was no way it couldn't have hit the rim.

Fortunately, it didn't matter.

wrong, it just hit the bottom of the backboard which stopped its trajectory in a funky way. you and Reggie are assuming based on the ball changing direction. the video proves otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Derka I saw the angle you’re talking about but how else do you explain the clear change of direction the ball took?

the ball hits the padding at the bottom of the backboard which isn't a flat surface, and absorbs more force than the glass or the rim does. 

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

What is the side structure of the rim--the rectangle? Whatever that is called, it looks like that is what the ball hit on its way down from the backboard.

As far as I know (I could be wrong), anything orange counts as rim, and it definitely grazed the very bottom of the base.

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

56 points on 20-33 shots and 16/16 FTs made for LMA. Pretty beastly, and very efficient. 

Saw the highlights.  I liked how old school it was.  No threes and mostly back to the basket post moves.  Good post players can still dominate a game but there's so few of them that know how to do it and have the skills.

Just now, Aqua Buddha said:

Saw the highlights.  I liked how old school it was.  No threes and mostly back to the basket post moves.  Good post players can still dominate a game but there's so few of them that know how to do it and have the skills.

Or teams that are willing to go to them consistently.

21 minutes ago, d2o said:

Or teams that are willing to go to them consistently.

I still get warm and fuzzy when I see excellent back to the basket post play.  Maybe because it's rarely used anymore but maybe because it's more of the thinking man's game rather than running down the court and chucking up another contested three like we saw in last year's WCF?  A good post player with 2 or 3 moves is always keeping his man guessing.  Turnaround jumper?  Pump fake up and under?  Hook shot?  Pump fake to draw the foul?

What younger fans don't realize about comparing teams from the two eras is how much better post play was back in the day.  Players like Kevin McHale didn't look athletic but they were excellent technicians of the game.  Having a good post player was key to winning and if the other team didn't, they would go along with some physical defender type.  In these hypothetical match ups, the teams from the earlier ears and their post play would dominate the modern teams.  Look at the 2012 gold medal game.  Spain had the Gasols, Ibaka, and a gaggle of spares and damn near won.  We had great wing players but the Gasols working the high low game in their prime was artistic.

22 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I still get warm and fuzzy when I see excellent back to the basket post play.  Maybe because it's rarely used anymore but maybe because it's more of the thinking man's game rather than running down the court and chucking up another contested three like we saw in last year's WCF?  A good post player with 2 or 3 moves is always keeping his man guessing.  Turnaround jumper?  Pump fake up and under?  Hook shot?  Pump fake to draw the foul?

What younger fans don't realize about comparing teams from the two eras is how much better post play was back in the day.  Players like Kevin McHale didn't look athletic but they were excellent technicians of the game.  Having a good post player was key to winning and if the other team didn't, they would go along with some physical defender type.  In these hypothetical match ups, the teams from the earlier ears and their post play would dominate the modern teams.  Look at the 2012 gold medal game.  Spain had the Gasols, Ibaka, and a gaggle of spares and damn near won.  We had great wing players but the Gasols working the high low game in their prime was artistic.

That’s all true and good but those types of players get played off the floor too often because they can’t defend the perimeter. Teams take advantage of the old school bigs by forcing them to switch onto a smaller guard who can beat them off the dribble. There just aren’t many bigs who can play like LMA and still have the foot speed to not be a liability on defense. Modern bigs have to be able to defend at the perimeter in a way they never have before.

50 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

McHale would destroy in today's game but he probably wouldn't be able to stay on the floor cause he couldn't guard anyone on the switches/

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Maybe because it's rarely used anymore but maybe because it's more of the thinking man's game rather than running down the court and chucking up another contested three like we saw in last year's WCF?

Last year's WCF is a strange example to use considering all of the roasting that Durant did with his back to the basket. 

3 hours ago, d2o said:

That game last night is kinda wild. SA shot 84% from 3, making their first 14 and got 56 pts from LA (without any 3s) and still had to go to overtime and have a weird call go in their favor to beat the Thunder.

Well, the Thunder got 24-11-24 from Westbrook (yes 24 assists), a career high in assists, 7-10 from 3 from Turd Ferguson, a career high, and 25-12 from Jerami Grant, another career high for points.

So 3 career highs for the Thunder including 30 from PG and 19 from Adams and they couldn't win.  It was just an odd, odd game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, d2o said:

McHale would destroy in today's game but he probably wouldn't be able to stay on the floor cause he couldn't guard anyone on the switches/

Oh, but the match up works both ways.  That's why last night's game was so entertaining.  OKC seemed to have Grant on LA most of the night.  Grant is a Sam Presti Special.  Rangy defender, limited offensively, can guard multiple positions on the perimeter.  LA backed him down and abused Grant.  Took 33 shots and 16 FT's.  Sure, the McHale's and Malone's of yesterday would have had problems on the perimeter, but the same stretch 4 has to deal with them on the block.  

57 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Oh, but the match up works both ways.  That's why last night's game was so entertaining.  OKC seemed to have Grant on LA most of the night.  Grant is a Sam Presti Special.  Rangy defender, limited offensively, can guard multiple positions on the perimeter.  LA backed him down and abused Grant.  Took 33 shots and 16 FT's.  Sure, the McHale's and Malone's of yesterday would have had problems on the perimeter, but the same stretch 4 has to deal with them on the block.  

Agreed but after they swap 2 for 3 a few times the coach may not stick with it.   I would love to get back to more post lay.   I fear we are too far gone though

Just saw the end of last night's C's game. What a bitch move by Kyrie. Gordon Hayward throws the inbounds to Jayson Tatum and when his shot at the buzzer misses Kyrie makes a huge deal of not getting the ball. Save that shit for tte locker room. No wonder people think you suck st leading. 

Edited by Goo Punch

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Just saw the end of last night's C's game. What a bitch move by Kyrie. Gordon Hayward throws the inbounds to Jayson Tatum and when his shot at the buzzer misses Kyrie makes a huge deal of not getting the ball. Save that shit for tte locker room. No wonder people think you suck st leading. 

Agree.  I understand the frustration but run into the locker room and have a private conversation before the press is allowed in.  Hayward probably made a poor decision considering how Horford came open at the elbow, but don't show up your teammate there.

Lakers are 3-7 in their last 10 w/o LeBron.  Somebody's getting traded soon.  But they have to keep their best assets (Ball and Ingram among them, I guess?) to pitch New Orleans in the offseason.

They're currently the 8 seed, but I think Utah, currently #9, is a playoff team.  They have the point differential of a 4 seed, and Donovan Mitchell looks to be heating up finally.  I also think that New Orleans will improve for no other reason than they have to.  So that means one or two current playoff teams would have to slide out.  

33 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Lakers are 3-7 in their last 10 w/o LeBron.  Somebody's getting traded soon.  But they have to keep their best assets (Ball and Ingram among them, I guess?) to pitch New Orleans in the offseason.

They're currently the 8 seed, but I think Utah, currently #9, is a playoff team.  They have the point differential of a 4 seed, and Donovan Mitchell looks to be heating up finally.  I also think that New Orleans will improve for no other reason than they have to.  So that means one or two current playoff teams would have to slide out.  

Only one I can see falling out is the Clips.    I don't think the Pels get in.

Another game, another record for Harden.

He's been playing out of his mind, but this is a record which should never be approached.  He was 10 of 15 from inside the arc, but continued to jack up 3's?  Gotta have better game awareness.  I get it that his game is predicated on the 3 and shooters shoot, but there needs to be a point where he realizes he just doesn't have the touch.  Guess not.  Still scored 30+ but lost the game to a punchless Magic team.  Should bounce back tonight on a b2b.

28 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Such a dangerous game of chicken for the Lakers.  Utah has seemingly shaken off their rough start and solidly in the playoff picture now.  Think I read the Lakers have the 2nd toughest schedule the ROS with a banged up Lebron.  I think they'll get in the playoffs and they'll probably trade KCP by the deadline but if they don't make anymore moves, hard to see the Lakers doing much.  Maybe pushing a series deep or winning one, but I can't trust them to play enough defense to make a legit run.  Then.... the fun part starts.  The summer.