2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

On 1/4/2019 at 1:24 PM, Goo Punch said:

@aggie08 @Patrick Bateman is this what you wanted? is this better than 50 memes and ig and twitter posts every day? now we're all going to sit around talking about how today's players aren't any more skilled than the players from the 80's? that's what hot in the streets? saying indefensibly stupid shit like that and then negging anyone with the common sense to know otherwise? come on y'all, get off the sidelines, get into the game, and add some motherfucking sense to this retarded discussion. surely our two most prolific nba poster have some thoughts regarding to overall talent level of today vs 30 years ago. spill it. 

lol, i mean im still over here shaking my head. i just went back and read my OP that led to this. literally all i said was, "look how far we've come since the 80's; what will players look like 150 years from now?" and yet somehow that's controversial. jesus. 

I'm a little late to the party and thus it may have ended but don't understand the reference.  Neither of us, that I'm aware of, lent any insight to the really silly argument about which generation was more engaged in winning.  Is the conversation retarded?  Maybe.  I haven't read the entire exchange, I don't have the time.  To me, the overall talent is much better today then it was 30 years ago, when we didn't have open global markets of talent and before the "Dream Team Effect".  I enjoy exchanging different ideas about basketball, pro or college, and this seems like a good place to do so.  Specifically, I enjoy the pros as it incorporates an economic aspect not involved with the college game, which dovetails into my limited expertise.

I also realize that any thread started on this site (or any other public site) is not specifically mine or anyone else's, it's the communities to decide which direction it may take and this will affect my decisions to participate or not.  I see you started another "catch all" thread for social media and I hope that thread is healthy as well, without cannibalizing this one.  I love the NBA and think it's in a healthy place with crazy talent coming from throughout the globe.  I'm intrigued by the back and forth of the community here and recognize not everyone has the same level of interest or intellect.  This community is one of my favorites but also realize it's not the best for high level expertise that may challenge some of our thoughts or conventions.  That written, it's January, none of us (me included) know exactly what will transpire. 

Additionally, I don't neg people with different opinions than me (Off subject, I think rep is truly a terrible aspect of some sites including this one as grown men, or women, getting into silly "rep wars" which I think is the antithesis of what I consider healthy intellectual conversation).  I don't actually engage in rep (good or bad), although I truly appreciate those that have sent me positive rep (sorry, I don't do the same; doesn't mean I don't appreciate your contributions as well).  So, my thought is, let's talk basketball, pro or not, on this thread and if it's gets off on a silly tangent, I'll usually say something or sit it out.  

This post is really way too much about my thoughts, so to bring it back to the subject at hand....

1.  Is Denver a true contender or reg season success story?

2.  Is this the last Warrior go around (starting to think so and to start the season I was in the opposite camp)?

3.  Do we still think Boston is the team to beat in the East or are the Bucks a real threat?

4.  Utah and Houston starting to get going.... can they make it to the Conference semis?

5.  Love the East is relevant again but seems to be still the weaker side, am I right?

Let's talk...... and only intelligent opinions welcome. so I'll listen...

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'm a little late to the party and thus it may have ended but don't understand the reference.  Neither of us, that I'm aware of, lent any insight to the really silly argument about which generation was more engaged in winning.  Is the conversation retarded?  Maybe.  I haven't read the entire exchange, I don't have the time.  To me, the overall talent is much better today then it was 30 years ago, when we didn't have open global markets of talent and before the "Dream Team Effect".  I enjoy exchanging different ideas about basketball, pro or college, and this seems like a good place to do so.  Specifically, I enjoy the pros as it incorporates an economic aspect not involved with the college game, which dovetails into my limited expertise.

I also realize that any thread started on this site (or any other public site) is not specifically mine or anyone else's, it's the communities to decide which direction it may take and this will affect my decisions to participate or not.  I see you started another "catch all" thread for social media and I hope that thread is healthy as well, without cannibalizing this one.  I love the NBA and think it's in a healthy place with crazy talent coming from throughout the globe.  I'm intrigued by the back and forth of the community here and recognize not everyone has the same level of interest or intellect.  This community is one of my favorites but also realize it's not the best for high level expertise that may challenge some of our thoughts or conventions.  That written, it's January, none of us (me included) know exactly what will transpire. 

Additionally, I don't neg people with different opinions than me (Off subject, I think rep is truly a terrible aspect of some sites including this one as grown men, or women, getting into silly "rep wars" which I think is the antithesis of what I consider healthy intellectual conversation).  I don't actually engage in rep (good or bad), although I truly appreciate those that have sent me positive rep (sorry, I don't do the same; doesn't mean I don't appreciate your contributions as well).  So, my thought is, let's talk basketball, pro or not, on this thread and if it's gets off on a silly tangent, I'll usually say something or sit it out.  

This post is really way too much about my thoughts, so to bring it back to the subject at hand....

2.  Is this the last Warrior go around (starting to think so and to start the season I was in the opposite camp)?

3.  Do we still think Boston is the team to beat in the East or are the Bucks a real threat?

4.  Utah and Houston starting to get going.... can they make it to the Conference semis?

5.  Love the East is relevant again but seems to be still the weaker side, am I right?

couldn't agree more with the bolded parts.

1.Regular season success story. Teams who haven't been at/near the mountaintop before don't make it on their first try. But they are talented, and Jokic is a huge x factor. Such a matchup nightmare. 

2.It probably is. I'll be very surprised if the band doesn't break up after this year.

3.The Bucks are now a poor man's Rockets with a bunch of shooters surrounding Giannis. Another team that hasn't been there before, but who has been there before in the East? Toronto is the team to beat come playoff time imo (they can't flop again can they?), but when Milwaukee is hitting shots they might be the best team in the East.

4.I don't think Utah has the offense to make a run. Maybe if Donovan Mitchell gets hot. Rudy Gobert is nowhere near as lauded as he should be, and Joe Ingles is one of the best unknown players in the league.

5.The West is loaded with better teams and better players. I'm not sure that any EC team besides Toronto would finish higher than 5th it placed in the West. 

Edited by Goo Punch

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Denver is a nice story but no I dont think they beat any of the major players in the west come playoff time.

I dont really see any chance that the Warrios come back next yr intact.   I think KD leaves.   Barring something pretty wild Boogie can't come back due to finances.   I think its possible Klay or Dray are gone too.

I have Bucks and Raps ahead of BOS honestly.    BOS is still working out protocol issues with the young guys though they look to be getting it together.

HOU has really come alive and considering its with Paul hurt its interesting.  They should get at least to the semis.   Utah will have a lot of trouble.   I dont think they are better than HOU, GSW, or OKC.  I dont see a way they dont face one of them and consequently are eliminated relatively early.

The west is deeper for sure.  I think the top 5-6 from the east  would do just fine if they were to switch conferences.   I've always thought the hand wringing about the difference in conferences was overblown.   It's cyclical

12 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'm a little late to the party and thus it may have ended but don't understand the reference.  Neither of us, that I'm aware of, lent any insight to the really silly argument about which generation was more engaged in winning.  Is the conversation retarded?  Maybe.  I haven't read the entire exchange, I don't have the time.  To me, the overall talent is much better today then it was 30 years ago, when we didn't have open global markets of talent and before the "Dream Team Effect".  I enjoy exchanging different ideas about basketball, pro or college, and this seems like a good place to do so.  Specifically, I enjoy the pros as it incorporates an economic aspect not involved with the college game, which dovetails into my limited expertise.

Additionally, I don't neg people with different opinions than me (Off subject, I think rep is truly a terrible aspect of some sites including this one as grown men, or women, getting into silly "rep wars" which I think is the antithesis of what I consider healthy intellectual conversation).  I don't actually engage in rep (good or bad), although I truly appreciate those that have sent me positive rep (sorry, I don't do the same; doesn't mean I don't appreciate your contributions as well).  So, my thought is, let's talk basketball, pro or not, on this thread and if it's gets off on a silly tangent, I'll usually say something or sit it out.  

1. They are legit but won’t really contend for a title. Jokic is incredible and is a top ten guy in the league. Murray is a great scorer. I hope they don’t move their rotations around to much to accommodate IT4 but we will see.

2. Yes. They will win and KD will leave.

3. Boston, Toronto, Bucks are the real contenders in the East imo. Boston will be better with the smaller rotations in the playoffs. As much as I like Philly and Indiana I think the lack of spacing will hurt both of those teams.

4. Both could. Utah is elite defensively but still is so inefficient offensively. Houston is legit but I doubt they can play the same level of defense they did last year come playoff time.

5. Yes you are right. 

2 hours ago, d2o said:

I've always thought the hand wringing about the difference in conferences was overblown.   It's cyclical

21 years and counting is a long ass cycle. If anything, I'd argue that it's been under-blown. The talent disparity has been very, very real. I did the research a while back, and don't feel like finding it again, but I think something like 85% of the non-LeBron 1st and 2nd All-NBA spots (a crude approximation of an individual season's Top 10 players) have gone to Western Conference players over the past decade. That's insanely lopsided.

It looks to finally be changing with Kawhi in the East, and Giannis and Embiid taking giant leaps...but, of course, now the best player in the world--and probably the entire Top 5 (at least one of which you historically need to win a championship)--is in the West.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, d2o said:

He absolutely walked but he is right.   Harden does most of the time on his and its not called.

That's 100% a message. Kerr got caught last year DM'ing to a friend how ridiculous it is that they let Harden get away with his double step-back, and I bet he told Steph to start doing it until he gets called for it.

i'm sure you will vic, and i'm sure that there are many here who think that's just super hilarious, but shaggy/surly was founded as a place where adults could share their unfiltered opinions on sports, not a place where adults could act like 13 year old retards who think that ruining things for other people is just super funny. dead serious, you have the attitude of an unpopular 13 year old  boy who can only get attention by purposely pissing other people off. it's not cute or funny, it's just dumb. 

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Sometimes you can just ignore people without actually telling anyone that you're ignoring them (like I'm sure most people do with me when my first words in a giant block of text are "Golden State"). Food for thought.

sometimes. but we're beyond that. people way back back on shaggy were begging vic to stop memeing up the thread and now there's 5 of him doing it. people have been complaining about the state of this thread for a while now and that did nothing as well. now we have a dedicated thread for that. surely that that should be enough. we shall see. 

Meh, it's not ideal, and I find the constant, mostly random social media updates pretty useless (if I cared about twitter or Instagram or whatever, I'd actually have an account). But it's pretty easy to scroll past when it's of no interest to me (99.9% of the time).  It's not like those posters, in lieu of posting memes, would start breaking down interesting shooting splits and drawing conclusions based on lineup data.  By sheer volume alone, the meme team at least occasionally stumbles upon a topic worth discussing.  In a battle of lessor evils, I'll take that over the inane, uneducated drive-by hot takes that happen after every big nationally televised game (that you can tell was the first game of that team that the poster has watched).

Most posters truly only care enough to go in-depth on their own team, of which there's a handful of team threads.  The audience for breaking down Denver in January is always going to be small.  I don't think this site can support two general NBA threads, and everyone's just going to end up posting whatever they want in the one with the most traffic.  But I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

i'd like to specify that not all social media that gets posted here is irrelevant. if you post something that's worth discussing then that's fine. even the bigger, more important highlights have a place here or hell, even just highlights that are worth watching that other people may not have seen. all good. it's the "look at what Russ is wearing!" and the Chandler Parsons photoshop crap that nobody here cares about that should go in the other thread. 

Edited by Goo Punch

And let's be real, none of us are anything resembling experts on the NBA.  I try to watch as much basketball as I can, but usually all that amounts to is 3-4 quarters combined from that week's TNT/ESPN games (until I lose interest or get distracted, basically).  I don't have the League Pass anymore, so I can't tune into a close game in the 4th quarter between two random teams that I'd otherwise never watch.  I've seen maybe a quarter of Toronto and Denver this season.

Any "opinions" that I share are some combination of Zach Lowe/Howard Beck/Kevin O'Conner/etc., what I can gather on NBA.com/stats and Basketball Reference, and my own personal biases, not from watching games with my own eyes and assessing what I see.

It's just a fun time suck, not a bastion for NBA enlightenment.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Sometimes you can just ignore people without actually telling anyone that you're ignoring them (like I'm sure most people do with me when my first words in a giant block of text are "Golden State"). Food for thought.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

And let's be real, none of us are anything resembling experts on the NBA.  I try to watch as much basketball as I can, but usually all that amounts to is 3-4 quarters combined from that week's TNT/ESPN games (until I lose interest or get distracted, basically).  I don't have the League Pass anymore, so I can't tune into a close game in the 4th quarter between two random teams that I'd otherwise never watch.  I've seen maybe a quarter of Toronto and Denver this season.

Any "opinions" that I share are some combination of Zach Lowe/Howard Beck/Kevin O'Conner/etc., what I can gather on NBA.com/stats and Basketball Reference, and my own personal biases, not from watching games with my own eyes and assessing what I see.

It's just a fun time suck, not a bastion for NBA enlightenment.

You've just described 50% of NBA executives.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

i'm sure you will vic, and i'm sure that there are many here who think that's just super hilarious, but shaggy/surly was founded as a place where adults could share their unfiltered opinions on sports, not a place where adults could act like 13 year old retards who think that ruining things for other people is just super funny. dead serious, you have the attitude of an unpopular 13 year old  boy who can only get attention by purposely pissing other people off. it's not cute or funny, it's just dumb. 

The self-delusional is strong with this one. 

And someone please quote this. Will rep