2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

Awful news on Oladipo.... he'll have a long road back and may not be ready for next season and probably will lack explosion for most of it.

Indy's done in the East.  Oladipo wasn't nearly as good this year as last but he still was one of their best passers and could get his own shot.  So the East is back to 4 teams with everyone else being mediocre to bad?

From Reddit:

On the Windhorst and the Hoop Collective podcast, Jackie mentioned that Lebron and his inner circle have made it known to the Lakers organization that they would prefer to move on from Luke Walton. Brian and the other guests agreed. She also said there is a lot of tension right now in the organization.

She also questioned Ingram's future with the Lakers because of his lack of fit with Lebron.

I’m shocked. 

57 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
On 1/17/2019 at 12:08 PM, Goo Punch said:
what is there to let slide? he is absolutely in the conversation if most unguardable players ever. no question. 

Until the playoffs come.

Exactly. His game does not translate to the playoffs when teams actually want to play defense. And the refs are not going to give you every call. That last game where he had about 40 shots, 5-20 on 3s and mid 20s to 30 free throw attempts and scored a bunch of points. Cool.

He's cool to watch from an entertainment factor. But he's not leading a team anywhere. Unless people bought into that fool's gold last year against Golden State and thinking they were really close. Same shit as when Dallas took San Antonio to 7 games in 2014 in the 1st round. The year SA won the Finals. Didn't mean Dallas was on their level.

Edited by Vic Mackey

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

LOL.... one thing you know, when Lebron comes to your organization, he's gonna redecorate it to his liking.  When does he push (demand) Magic and company make a big move?  Before the deadline?

Now we get to see if Jeannie Buss has the balls to tell LeBron, Magic, and Pelinka to "Back off, that's my guy" like Riley did with Spoelstra.

...just kidding, Luke gun' get fired.

Yeah the GM needs to be the GM.  If Walton is their guy, they need to back him up.  LeBron is signed for 4 seasons, he can't hold them hostage like he did the cavs.  What's he gonna do?  Publically demand a trade,  pull a Leonard?  Nah.   Who does LeBron want as the coach anyways?  Phil?

Ok, Phil would be a good hire.  

I feel bad for Walton, it's a tough job right now and he just doesn't have enough experience and cache to command the room at a high enough level.  Not to mention that I think it's pretty well known that Magic and Pelinka also wouldn't mind picking their own coach and so the writing is on the wall.  To be fair, I think LeBron's inner circle - if true that they question Ingram's fit - is very correct.  Ingram is a terrible fit for the other players on this roster and is simply too inefficient on both ends and I hate saying that about a Duke guy but it's true.  He's very talented and could get better with the Lakers regretting letting him go someday, but he's got way too much Carmelo Anthony in his game right now versus Kuzma's playstyle (although Kuzma really is not there at defense yet) which is much better for their specific roster.    

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Phil ain’t going back unless he’s tagging Jeannie again. 

Luke on the Joey Freshwater trajectory of failing upward, not sure what he had done to get the Lakers job?  Don’t think pushing the cruise control that is the Warriors lamborgini counts. 

Bingo.   He isn't ready to be a big time coach and worse yet all of his assts are young too.   Only one of note is Brian Shaw.   It shows in none of the young guys getting much better and in their lack of an offensive plan.

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah the game has long since passed by phil jackson.  he'd be an awful coach in today's nba.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

The last time Phil coached, surrendering a corner 3 to stuff the paint was a sound defensive strategy.

Can you imagine him trying to run a triangle offense out there? His teams would get run off the court.

48 minutes ago, d2o said:

It shows in none of the young guys getting much better and in their lack of an offensive plan.

If he gets blame for their lack of development this season, does he also get credit for making Ingram, Hart, and Kuzma look like promising studs last year? I tend to think that they--along with Ball--were never that good to begin with (Kuzma being the possible exception), and it's just another case of dudes putting up empty stats on bad teams that aren't ready for the spotlight.

Combine that with a roster full of aging JAGs (it's a miracle, by the way, that he's gotten that group to play any defense at all) and non-shooters, and what do people, LeBron included, realistically expect? Probably unfair to put all that at Luke's feet, but such is life coaching LeBron.

Mark Jackson is so fucking bad. Like so bad. I want the game audio on but Christ he is the most useless, passive aggressive, contrarian bitchmade commentator I have ever heard.

Awful person and awful commentator. The fact that ESPN is shoving him down our throats is unbearable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

So, this just in, Steph and Kyrie really like playing each other.

Yeah, that was fun.  Steph now is basically up to 3rd in most MVP professional odds behind 1) Harden and 2) Giannis and if I was voting today, I'd go those three in that exact order right now too but the top two are still way ahead for me as of now.

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

Mark Jackson is so fucking bad. Like so bad. I want the game audio on but Christ he is the most useless, passive aggressive, contrarian bitchmade commentator I have ever heard.

Awful person and awful commentator. The fact that ESPN is shoving him down our throats is unbearable.

Hand down man down

Is anyone capable of challenging a healthy GS team in the playoffs? The questions about Boogie appear to have been answered and they look borderline unstoppable with Boogie in the lineup, there appear to be no lingering issues from the Achilles injury. You have a starting lineup consisting of 5 all stars 4  of which who can put up 30 points on any given night with a defensive stalwart added into the mix, GS is beginning to pull ahead in what was an extremely tight race in the west riding a 10 game win streak.

5 minutes ago, Chad said:

Is anyone capable of challenging a healthy GS team in the playoffs? The questions about Boogie appear to have been answered and they look borderline unstoppable with Boogie in the lineup, there appear to be no lingering issues from the Achilles injury. You have a starting lineup consisting of 5 all stars 4  of which who can put up 30 points on any given night with a defensive stalwart added into the mix, GS is beginning to pull ahead in what was an extremely tight race in the west riding a 10 game win streak.

If they're mentally engaged and all things are equal.... in a 7 game series, the odds would be very, very low.  But we've seen health is never equal and I think that's what most teams have to hope for.  I think OKC could give em' series if they shoot out of their minds.  Maybe Boston could win a game or two with all the travel but the Finals are really spaced out recently, but the main opponent for the Warriors are Lady Health and themselves.

JMO....