2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

7 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

WOW!!!

congrats to the mavs fans.  if healthy, luka and porzingis is going to be a fun fucking combo going forward.

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

that's gonna be some crazy mismatches for nearly every team they play having those two on the court together. 

Exactly. Hope he comes back healthy.

And it's a kind of a good deal for both teams...Dallas had tons of cap space coming, so they can eat this, and get the best player in the trade.  NY got a young up and coming player and tons of space coming up now.

10 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Call me crazy but I don't think this is bad for the Knicks. Dumped bad contracts and got a young player with upside for a guy that hasn't been on the court in over a year. Plus they now have room for two max contracts in free agency. 

Ok, you're crazy. Trading their only player with any real potential for discount Steve Francis because said player wanted the fuck out cannot be construed as a good day.

Sure, they can go after Kyrie and KD now, I guess. But they almost certainly won't bite. The last big free agent to sign with NY was Amare, when they had to overpay him after striking out on everyone else that offseason. Players are too smart and informed these days to bet their futures on James Dolan.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Ok, you're crazy. Trading their only player with any real potential for discount Steve Francis because said player wanted the fuck out cannot be construed as a good day.

Sure, they can go after Kyrie and KD now, I guess. But they almost certainly won't bite. The last big free agent to sign with NY was Amare, when they had to overpay him after striking out on everyone else that offseason. Players are too smart and informed these days to bet their futures on James Dolan.

True, it's far from a guarantee that the Knicks will land max contract types in free agency. 

It was a shitty situation because the Knicks are a shitty organization. I'm not arguing the Knicks won big here. They did about as well as they probably could based on the context/circumstances. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The Knicks didn't have much choice. Porzingis wanted out and his trade value was limited because of the injury. 

Obviously trading Porzingis for cap space is dumb but probably about all they could do here. 

they had plenty of choice.  he was going to be a restricted free agent.  they absolutely did not have to trade him.

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

True, it's far from a guarantee that the Knicks will land max contract types in free agency. 

It was a shitty situation because the Knicks are a shitty organization. I'm not arguing the Knicks won big here. They did about as well as they probably could based on the context/circumstances. 

Who knows though if they could have done better. They didn't exactly sit back and let offers pour in. Hard to think that a dude Dallas has been shopping around town all year was the best that they could do. Package Zingis with Knox and their pick, and I bet that gets them something damn good. Like a certain 7 footer in New Orleans. 

Right now, their pick has the "might be Zion" allure. In May, it could be the #5 pick in a three player draft.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

they had plenty of choice.  he was going to be a restricted free agent.  they absolutely did not have to trade him.

A 5 year $158 million max extension for a guy that hasn't played in over a year and a half is a lot of money.

I think the bigger issue is it sounds like KP wanted to play for a winner so there was tension in NY. Granted, NY was his best chance of getting significant money. Sometimes situations become so toxic you really have no choice. 

Also, this. 

Edited by texasstrong12

6 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

well hell, maybe the knicks didn't have a lot of leverage here:

that seems like a really dumb move for a guy who is oft injured.

Wow. Well, nevermind everything I said. No team is going to give up much for a dude willing to take $4.5M to be a free agent ASAP.

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

He just wants a huge deal sooner.  Cuban doesn't lose guys he wants when they actually play here(he let Nash walk for a stupid reason).

Good luck making up the $20M that he'll lose next season. He's doing this because he wants to choose exactly where he plays as early as humanly possible. That's not to say that I don't think the Mavs have a great chance of winning him over.

Just now, aggie08 said:

Good luck making up the $20M that he'll lose next season. He's doing this because he wants to choose exactly where he plays as early as humanly possible. That's not to say that I don't think the Mavs have a great chance of winning him over.

Fair enough.  I think with Doncic and Cuban they'll get him to stay.

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Unless there is something seriously wrong with Porzingis health-wise, this is a no brainer for the Mavs -- even with him signing the QO.

100%. They would have given up Smith, Matthews, and DeAndre for a case of Pacifico, let alone a highly skilled, young 7'3" guy.

Guys like KP don't come around often.  There is some risk to the Mavs if KP truly stays, but you take that risk if you are confident in your organization and culture.  I think Doncic obviously would be the major factor to helping KP stay long-term.  It looks at first glance like a really bad trade for the Knicks, but they really didn't have any real leverage to keep KP and then you add the injury on top of it, so the trade value was lower than one might think for his talent.  Surely they will go for KD/Kyrie/AD but Dolan hasn't exactly endeared himself to most NBA players as a great owner so it should be an interesting summer...again.  (but Fizdale I think helps)

58 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

Cap space only matters if there is a reason for a player to sign with your team. Why would two max players ever want to sign for the Knicks with no one of relevance on the team with them?

Because KD + KI + role players is a title contender. Not that I think that will happen. KD maybe but I don’t see KI going anywhere.

Edited by hobbes2702

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Klay getting in is a joke. Much more deserving names out there. 

Klay is asked to do zilch the entire fucking season. He has two top 5 players in the league with him every night. 

Well he’s also one of the best shooters ever to play the game but let’s pretend he’s a scrub.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Klay getting in is a joke. Much more deserving names out there. 

Klay is asked to do zilch the entire fucking season. He has two top 5 players in the league with him every night. 

Take it up with the NBA and the outdated mandate of picking by positions. They needed more guards. Gobert and Harris are much more deserving, but the forward position is stacked, and there's only so many spots.

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Well he’s also one of the best shooters ever to play the game but let’s pretend he’s a scrub.

Right, because that's what I'm doing. Saying he's a scrub and he isn't a great shooter.

Why don't you go fuck yourself and let me know when you want to have an adult conversation instead of putting words in my mouth.

Klay has done nothing to deserve an all-star nod. 

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Take it up with the NBA and the outdated mandate of picking by positions. They needed more guards. Gobert and Harris are much more deserving, but the forward position is stacked, and there's only so many spots.

Lol fuck out of here. What has Klay done to deserve it over McCollum, DeRozan or Doncic? Play on the Warriors? It isn't a position thing.

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Because KD + KI + role players is a title contender. Not that I think that will happen. KD maybe but I don’t see KI going anywhere.

That's the thing, now they NEED to land two. I never bought into it, but selling KD or KI in Zingis and a top 5 pick was at least something. No one is going there on their own with what they have now. They wouldn't get out of the 2nd round, if that. Even KD + a Butler level talent isn't a championship contending team with that roster and their front office. They need to hit two grand slams in the same inning, or they'll probably end up with nobody.

The more I think about it. Knicks will have Knox, DSJ, Mitchell Robinson (who has shown some flashes) and possibly Zion.   That aint a half bad sell to FAs.   They also have a good coach in Fizdale.   Of course its the Knicks so they will manage to fuck it up.

Edited by d2o

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Lol fuck out of here. What has Klay done to deserve it over McCollum, DeRozan or Doncic? Play on the Warriors? It isn't a position thing.

In the worst shooting season of Klay's career, he's still a better shooter than CJ, and a better defender than he could ever dream of being. 

DD is the same inefficient, scared of the 3 point line scorer that he's always been, but his playmaking has been an unexpected bonus in SA.

Luka doesn't have the stats or reputation yet. He's still pretty inefficient. He'll make plenty of all-star games.

That said, I would have had no problem if any of the 3 made it over Klay. But to paint Klay making it as some huge injustice is just dumb. The were all neck-and-neck, as most Western Conference All-Star spots are.

Edited by aggie08

8 minutes ago, d2o said:

The more I think about it. Knicks will have Knox, DSJ, Mitchell Robinson (who has shown some flashes) and possibly Zion.   That aint a half bad sell to FAs.   They also have a good coach in Fizdale.   Of course its the Knicks so they will manage to fuck it up.

Those two draft picks at least pull the Knicks out of the "WTF were they thinking" territory. Hard to imagine Dallas being bad enough to make those picks significant, but who knows.

But what are the odds that they DON'T get Zion? I think around 87%. Even if they do, Zion may be a physical freak like LeBron, but he's not LeBron. He's probably a 2-3 years away from being capable of being the 2nd best player on a legit championship contending team. That's a tough sell for a single star in his 30's. Before you even get into the off-the-court red flags of that franchise.

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

In the worst shooting season of Klay's career, he's still a better shooter than CJ, and a better defender than he could ever dream of being. 

DD is the same inefficient, scared of the 3 point line scorer that he's always been, but his playmaking has been an unexpected bonus in SA.

Luka doesn't have the stats or reputation yet. He's still pretty inefficient. He'll make plenty of all-star games.

That said, I would have had no problem if any of the 3 made it over Klay. But to paint Klay making it as some huge injustice is just dumb. The were all neck-and-neck, as most Western Conference All-Star spots are.

Nice. Did Bob Myers write that narrative for you?

26 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Right, because that's what I'm doing. Saying he's a scrub and he isn't a great shooter.

Why don't you go fuck yourself and let me know when you want to have an adult conversation instead of putting words in my mouth.

Klay has done nothing to deserve an all-star nod. 

Ok cool. Nice conversation.

You literally said Klay is asked to do “zilch”. That’s a really dumb take. Does he deserve it this year over some others? Prolly not. Was your take extremely hyperbolic and worthy of a hyperbolic response. Absolutely