2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

Related to Boston issues:

1. I get that AD (and/or his dad) don’t want to be in Boston, but is “the treatment of IT” really a valid reason? IT had peaked and was an overrated primadonna coming off an injury. Wasn’t Boston’s assessment of IT validated by both Cleveland and LAL dumping him and him (not) playing for the Nuggets this year? We’re Celtic supposed to not trade for KI and give IT the Brinks truck? Would that have made you happy, Mr. AD Sr.?

2. Why the unnecessary drama by KI? Boston has been open about its commitment to build a super team around him with two other max players plus very good role players and some draft capital in their pocket. I don’t see any secret strategy here of throwing other teams off the scent by KI suddenly acting like he’s going to leave that is to the benefit of a KI-led Celtics squad in 2019-forward. If he plans to stay, fucking around with the emotions of the fan base is a great way to become an endeared player in Beantown history. If you’re gone, say so and get traded to LAL, NYK, or elsewhere now. If not, STFU and help the team win and secure FAs.

He demanded out of Cleveland because he wanted to be the man and win on his own, not with/in the shadow of Lebron. Now he’s the man in Boston, a great sports city and franchise, with high talent teammates that are great but won’t steal his place as #1, and he wants out?

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

When Jrue and AD are on the floor together, with any other three guys, the numbers paint the Pels as a 60 win team. When you take either of them off the floor that flips to basically a 60 loss team. KOC was talking about this when discussing NOP shipping out Jrue also.

If AD and Jrue can do that, imagine what KD and Bron can do.

Then if they can get a solid shooter...oooh.  they Would still have room for another max contract right? like..... klay Thompson. 

14 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Pretty sure Klay ain’t going anywhere.

Unless he really hates someone on the down low I can't see reason for him to leave.   Maybe if the Warriors try and low ball him but unless its just a crazy low offer I dont even see that happening.  

10 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Would you call him elite at either of those things?

I'm not saying that he can't be a nice, useful contributor, but the ceiling looks a little low at the moment. More of a Tyreke Evans career path.

not that it matters, but i would say at the moment he's borderline elite with his first step and getting around his defender. 

9 hours ago, goatsaag said:

Did you guys actually watch the game? I mean, there was no reason for him to be in the game in the last two minutes, but he very clearly was not just jacking up shots to get to 30. He did a lot of passing and passing up shots in the last few minutes for someone jacking up shots to keep the streak going.

7 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

and he did everything he could to pass the ball away and not take the last one.  just threw it up because the shot clock was going to expire.  

i watched the game.  harden wasn't shooting to get to 30.  he was spreading the ball around a lot.  too much i thought.  and i'm not a harden or houston fan. 

Rondo is awesome, what a glue guy, will miss him when he retires. This kind of floor general isn't common, reminds me so much of Cassell, Andre Miller, old school John Lucas, Fat Lever. 

Cousins is an asshole. Not new data. 

Lakers should have let Pope shoot down the stretch, he's the one who brought them close. Beasley is garbage. 

21 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i watched the game.  harden wasn't shooting to get to 30.  he was spreading the ball around a lot.  too much i thought.  and i'm not a harden or houston fan. 

I admitted only caught the last 5 minutes or so. It just reminded me of the college coach that secretly hopes that his team loses a game when they're 20-0, so they can just play basketball, and not have to worry about undefeated talk. Houston, as a team, probably would have been better served had he not reached 30.

Not quite Westbrookian stat chasing (ok, not even close), but still off-putting.

21 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I admitted only caught the last 5 minutes or so. It just reminded me of the college coach that secretly hopes that his team loses a game when they're 20-0, so they can just play basketball, and not have to worry about undefeated talk. Houston, as a team, probably would have been better served had he not reached 30.

Not quite Westbrookian stat chasing (ok, not even close), but still off-putting.

yeah i can understand that.  it's a distraction affecting the way the team plays. 

cp3 was playing his heart out.

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Is it me or do the lakers and warriors play 15 times a year?

Because they are in the same division, they play four times a year, and since they are such massive media draws, the NBA puts as many of those matchups on national television as they can get away with.

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

If Klay Thompson keeps playing like he has been in 2019, Golden State is going to give him almost whatever the fuck he wants.

He's already making close to 20MM a year. When Durant leaves I guess they will have more cap space but Klay isnt worth 20+

9 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

yeah i can understand that.  it's a distraction affecting the way the team plays. 

cp3 was playing his heart out.

Then they go out the next night and completely dominate a very good defensive team with Harden doing Harden things. So it was probably just a bad couple of games, and not indicative of a growing concern.

I still think Houston has a great chance at a home playoff series, and Harden likely (and deservingly) runs away with MVP if they do. It's remarkable how he can pretty much singlehandedly carry a top 3 NBA offense, occasional off-putting night notwithstanding.

https://sports.yahoo.com/zion-williamson-dope-play-kyrie-201411515.html

I'd like to see the power shift around a bit in the NBA. KD and Kyrie to the Knicks would certainly shake things up a bit. Boston has greatly underachieved this season with their stacked roster.

Zion Williamson: "It would be dope to play with Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant" originally appeared on nbcsportsboston.com

The noise surrounding Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant and the Knicks doesn't seem like it's going to stop anytime soon. 

Allow me to be the umpteenth poster to lament the trend of profligately wealthy athletes strong arming team owners to escape multi-million-dollar contracts they signed so they can dictate the market in which they'd rather perform or teammates with whom they'd rather play.

I mean, I get it--no matter how good one's working conditions might be, it's only natural to get used to them and conclude they should be even better.

But this trend will absolutely destroy what little parity there is left, if it hasn't already. The days of championship teams being developed organically are nigh extinct.

13 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Allow me to be the umpteenth poster to lament the trend of profligately wealthy athletes strong arming team owners to escape multi-million-dollar contracts they signed so they can dictate the market in which they'd rather perform or teammates with whom they'd rather play.

I mean, I get it--no matter how good one's working conditions might be, it's only natural to get used to them and conclude they should be even better.

But this trend will absolutely destroy what little parity there is left, if it hasn't already. The days of championship teams being developed organically are nigh extinct.

I could see compensatory picks trying to be pushed for teams in the New Orleans situation in the next CBA.  It won't solve the issue but provide a bit of cushion for these teams if they hold out until free agency.  AD sticks with New Orleans and for a supermax player, the Cans get 2 first rounders after the lottery or something plus all the cap space.

• Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Meh, when those UBER wealthy owners stop strong arming cities to pay for their billion dollar stadiums so they can make more money then I might shed a tear for them.    Bottom line is if you manage your team well the stars will come to you and they will stay.

........and weren't the Warriors built organically?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, d2o said:

Meh, when those UBER wealthy owners stop strong arming cities to pay for their billion dollar stadiums so they can make more money then I might shed a tear for them.    Bottom line is if you manage your team well the stars will come to you and they will stay.

Fair point about the owners unfairly leveraging municipalities/taxpayers for better facilities. Does that happen as much in the NBA as it seems to the NFL?

As for your bottom line, it's not as simple as that. Big market teams or ones with a lot of banners hanging from the rafters will always have a tremendous advantage if athletes are allowed to pick and choose where to play.

And, yes, the Warriors were initially organic ... at least KD was a proper FA, so there's that.

12 minutes ago, d2o said:

The logic isn't owners vs. players. I don't feel sorry for the owners, either. I do feel sorry for the fans of small market teams.

I guess it's the same as being a fan of a non-blue blood program in college sports.

On 2/1/2019 at 10:20 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Fuck. This is the perfect tweet. Vince is all that is right with the nba. Stellar career and didnt fall into the super team stuff. I had a vincanity poster in my room when he was in Toronto.

Fuck wade. Hes the opposite of Vince. Flopper, not likeable, douche. It still bugged me he and lebron fake sicked dirk like they did... and it bothered me even more that he was apart of the "YES WE DID" shitshow unveiling with Bosh and lebron. You were already on the team. You didn't do anything. Fuck off

I realize this post is three days old and I didn't see the original tweet, but Vince Carter faked an injury and purposefully tanked to get the hell out of Toronto. It was one of the more despicable acts by an NBA player I can remember and he was reviled there for years.

21 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Fair point about the owners unfairly leveraging municipalities/taxpayers for better facilities. Does that happen as much in the NBA as it seems to the NFL?

As for your bottom line, it's not as simple as that. Big market teams or ones with a lot of banners hanging from the rafters will always have a tremendous advantage if athletes are allowed to pick and choose where to play.

And, yes, the Warriors were initially organic ... at least KD was a proper FA, so there's that.

yes, it happens every couple yrs in the NBA as well.   PHX owner threatened to move his team just a few months ago if he didnt get money for a new stadium.   The city balked at first then gave in.

They choose those teams cause they have a track record of being managed well.       They leave teams like NO, CLE, SAC etc cause they are not.   Again, SA has had 20 yrs of sustained excellence in a small market.   OKC s coming up on 10 yrs of being a very good to great team.     Currently, TOR and MIL have built championship contending rosters.    On the other hand, large market teams NYK and BKN have been dumpster fires for the better part of 20 yrs and literally cannot pay a guy to come there

Edited by d2o

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The logic isn't owners vs. players. I don't feel sorry for the owners, either. I do feel sorry for the fans of small market teams.

I guess it's the same as being a fan of a non-blue blood program in college sports.

This is more along the lines of correct but for some reason its ok at the college level.   Is it just because the players aren't making money?

7 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

I know Magic was trying to start low but if this is what NO told him they wanted in the first place this shit should have been done last week.     The only downside in that deal for the Lakers would be having to take that shitty Solomon Hill deal.   They will just have to give up another 1st somewhere to get someone to take that shit before FA starts.

Oh and giving up BOTH Zo and Rondo would be a tough pill but still............

Edited by d2o

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I realize this post is three days old and I didn't see the original tweet, but Vince Carter faked an injury and purposefully tanked to get the hell out of Toronto. It was one of the more despicable acts by an NBA player I can remember and he was reviled there for years.

All was forgiven.   They gave him a HUGE ovation a couple weeks ago when ATL played in TOR.

10 minutes ago, d2o said:

This is more along the lines of correct but for some reason its ok at the college level.   Is it just because the players aren't making money?

It's just accepted at the college level because there is no mechanism to correct it. We have the salary cap and the draft to fix that at the professional level, but you can't change human desire.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, d2o said:

yes, it happens every couple yrs in the NBA as well.   PHX owner threatened to move his team just a few months ago if he didnt money for a new stadium.

They choose those teams cause they have a track record of being managed well.       They leave teams like NO, CLE, SAC etc cause they are not.   Again, SA has had 20 yrs of sustained excellence in a small market.   OKC s coming up on 10 yrs of being a very good to great team.     Currently, TOR and MIL have built championship contending rosters.    On the other hand, large market teams NYK and BKN have been dumpster fires for the better part of 20 yrs and literally cannot pay a guy to come there

Celts and Lakers have had their down years--at least partially due to mismanagement--yet they don't seem to have too much difficulty drawing interest from FAs (or players under contract). And SA and OKC built their teams organically, primarily through the draft and mostly before this latest trend of "I don't wanna play here anymore, so fuck FMV and fuck your future and deal me to a place I wanna be else I'll cause problems there, too."

As for NYK and BKN, c'mon, man--the list of small-market/non-storied franchises that can't get a second look from bonafide FAs or pouty super-stars looking to improve their surroundings is far, far longer ... and far less likely to ever change if the current trend continues.

And to be clear, I am not bleeding sympathy for the owners. Like Machinator said, it's not about them, it's about parity and the fans of small-market/non-storied franchises having any hope of seeing their teams succeed for more than a season or two.

17 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Time heals all wounds, apparently.