2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

This was never a bad trade for NY. Anyone who thought so was making a knee jerk reaction.

How do you think the trade is going to look when the Knicks end up losing out on all the big names and max out two of the Kemba, Cousins, Tobias Harris, Middleton group?

How do you think the trade is going to look when the Knicks end up losing out on all the big names and max out two of the Kemba, Cousins, Tobias Harris, Middleton group?
So what are they supposed to do, keep an injured big man who is injury prone who doesn't want to be there? He's not going to play this season. He's a free agent this summer (I think). They got DSJ in return. That right there is good enough moving forward for them. They get 2 draft picks from a team who hasn't made the playoffs now for 3 years. They will get a damn good player this draft.

I'm not saying they came out fresh and clean but they were definitely not taken to the cleaners. What if KP is always injured and ends up being a complete bust? Mavs are going to look dumb as fuck.

42 minutes ago, d2o said:

Interesting.    I always thought how Ainge did IT4 was gonna come back to bite them.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25902808/anthony-davis-sr-want-son-boston-cites-treatment-isaiah-thomas

"I would never want my son to play for Boston after what they done to Isaiah Thomas," Anthony Davis Sr. told ESPN on Friday, referencing the former Celtics star point guard who was traded for Kyrie Irving amid his recovery from a hip injury. "No loyalty. Guy gives his heart and soul and they traded him."

Glass houses a bit yea?

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

So what are they supposed to do, keep an injured big man who is injury prone who doesn't want to be there? He's not going to play this season. He's a free agent this summer (I think). They got DSJ in return. That right there is good enough moving forward for them. They get 2 draft picks from a team who hasn't made the playoffs now for 3 years. They will get a damn good player this draft.

I'm not saying they came out fresh and clean but they were definitely not taken to the cleaners. What if KP is always injured and ends up being a complete bust? Mavs are going to look dumb as fuck.

Vic, DSJ is not very good at all. If they do not get KD + KI then this trade is an abject failure.

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Vic, DSJ is not very good at all. If they do not get KD + KI then this trade is an abject failure.

The only way the Knicks "win" this trade if they strike out on KD+KI is if KP just can never get right, then at least they could say they dodged that bullet, got off Hardaway's money, and don't have a single albatross contract for the first time in decades. 

DSJ just doesn't seem meant for this era of basketball. Though he may be just good enough to lift them above Chicago, Cleveland, and Phoenix, which could prove disastrous.

The only way the Knicks "win" this trade if they strike out on KD+KI is if KP just can never get right, then at least they could say they dodged that bullet, got off Hardaway's money, and don't have a single albatross contract for the first time in decades. 
DSJ just doesn't seem meant for this era of basketball. Though he may be just good enough to lift them above Chicago, Cleveland, and Phoenix, which could prove disastrous.

We all know how DSJ’s career is going to go. Bounce around from lottery team to lottery team for the next 10 years.

Fuck. This is the perfect tweet. Vince is all that is right with the nba. Stellar career and didnt fall into the super team stuff. I had a vincanity poster in my room when he was in Toronto.

Fuck wade. Hes the opposite of Vince. Flopper, not likeable, douche. It still bugged me he and lebron fake sicked dirk like they did... and it bothered me even more that he was apart of the "YES WE DID" shitshow unveiling with Bosh and lebron. You were already on the team. You didn't do anything. Fuck off

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

We all know how DSJ’s career is going to go. Bounce around from lottery team to lottery team for the next 10 years.

I agree. Your takes are impeccable. Everyone should listen to you. You are the Nostradamus of NBA takes. 

I guess it's best to not lead with your best offer, but probably a good idea to not be insulting. 

I assume that LA would be taking on Hill and some other contracts in this offer, but hard to sell New Orleans--not exactly a favored free agent destination--on having mounds of cap space.

This is all just wishful thinking though. Before the deadline, the Lakers will cave and tell New Orleans to build any trade they desire that doesn't involve LeBron, and Magic will happily sign. Still unlikely to be enough unless they bring in a third team.

Edited by aggie08

31 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

No way this deal could happen without Ingram right?

Oh that's insulting, there is a difference between a lowball offer and a non-serious one.  I think that is the latter.  You need to open with three young assets and one FRP with the realization you probably have to give up a little bit above that to have a chance.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

If true, this is why teams won't deal with the Lakers, that's a shit offer and everyone knows it..... Don't fuck around, you're already 2 time losers when you fuck around.

49 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Rondo and Mike Beasley?  I get worse lowball offers in my fantasy football league.

I'd imagine it was to make the money work....

Edited by Patrick Bateman

For a team that's been irrelevant for 6 years and counting the Lakers may want to consider making a serious offer if they want to land AD before he becomes a free agent and LeBron reaches the age of 36. They made laughable offers for Kawhi as well. If they fuck around this season and miss out on the post season with LeBron I'll laugh my ass off. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the Lakers struggle for quite some time and quickly become a joke of a franchise dating back to the twilight years of Kobe's career.

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If true, this is why teams won't deal with the Lakers, that's a shit offer and everyone knows it..... Don't fuck around, you're already 2 time losers when you fuck around.

I'd imagine it was to make the money work....

Rondo only makes 9 and I'm pretty sure Supercool is vet min.     The Lakers will need to figure out how to take Solomon Hill even if they have to reroute him somewhere else.   NO wants out of that horrible deal.

Edited by d2o

I mean.. lebron is going to be 36 by the time AD is eligible just to sign there . I know hes a freak condition wise but sheesh, time has to catch up with him at some point.

Im not sure if gutting your youth core is the thing to do. Then you have what new Orleans has.. but even worse. Factor in 36 year old lebron then it could really blow up.

I say the lakers do it

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I mean.. lebron is going to be 36 by the time AD is eligible just to sign there . I know hes a freak condition wise but sheesh, time has to catch up with him at some point.

Im not sure if gutting your youth core is the thing to do. Then you have what new Orleans has.. but even worse. Factor in 36 year old lebron then it could really blow up.

I say the lakers do it

The Lakers have to do it now.    You don't let any/either of those young guys be the reason that you dont get AD.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but are we sure the Celtics offer is going to be that much better than what other teams (including the Knicks & Lakers) could offer?

Jaylan Brown?  Pfft.  He seems to have plateaued or is downright regressing this season.  I wouldn't want to be the team to give him $20+ million a year starting in 20-21.

Tatum is a blue-chipper for sure, but he's not Lebron, Kawhi, or even Luka.

Smart?  Hard pass.  Will never be more than a 6th man on a good team.

The Kings pick will likely be in the 10-14 range this year and the Memphis & Clippers picks have significant protections for the next couple years, so we're looking at late lotto picks (at best) through 2021.

6 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I'll probably get flamed for this, but are we sure the Celtics offer is going to be that much better than what other teams (including the Knicks & Lakers) could offer?

Jaylan Brown?  Pfft.  He seems to have plateaued or is downright regressing this season.  I wouldn't want to be the team to give him $20+ million a year starting in 20-21.

The Kings pick will likely be in the 10-14 range this year and the Memphis & Clippers picks have significant protections for the next couple years, so we're looking at late lotto picks (at best) through 2021.

I said that the other day but I was more talking about Ainge being known for low balling his offers.   I do think Brown will be better no looking over his shoulder like he has had to this season with Heyward coming back but I agree I don't see him as a star and he is coming up on time to get paid.   I'd rather have Tatum but will Ainge offer him?

52 minutes ago, d2o said:

So Harden was jacking up shots at the end of a blowout loss to try and keep his 30 pt streak going.   Interesting...............

Yeah, there's a fine line between having to jack up shots because guys are hurt and that's basically your offense anyway, and blatantly stat/MVP hunting. I'd say he crossed that line last night.

Played an embarrassing game on both ends...but the streak is alive! 

^ that does sound familiar

19 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

i get that...but thatll be your team. those 2 stars and d-leaguers. one star wholl slow down due to laws of gravity or somethin

Buyout season is coming and they would still have Lance, Javale, Tyson and probably Hart, Michaluk and Wagner.      You ALWAYS take the best player in a trade.   Especially when the gap is this large.   You can figure out the rest of the roster later.

12 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

1. KP is a restricted free agent this summer. Meaning it can be matched.

2. New York isnt getting a draft pick this year.

3. You are the only person who thinks DSJ is a good return.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Rondo only makes 9 and I'm pretty sure Supercool is vet min.     The Lakers will need to figure out how to take Solomon Hill even if they have to reroute him somewhere else.   NO wants out of that horrible deal.

Since the number of players in has to match the number of players out for in-season trades, I'm certain that Hill was a part of that deal. No other way LA could have started that low without at least being able to say, "we'll take your junk."

3 minutes ago, fellside said:

I don't even dislike DSJ...but what is he elite at besides jumping? What is the skill he has that you say, "he'll be able to build on that foundation and add complimentary skills that could make him an All-Star"?

Shooting? No. Scoring/driving? No really. Passing/vision? Nope. Defense? Nah.

If you look at all the really good players in the league, all of them had something that stood out right away, even if it took them years to develop the rest of their games.

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Since the number of players in has to match the number of players out for in-season trades, I'm certain that Hill was a part of that deal. No other way LA could have started that low without at least being able to say, "we'll take your junk."

The number of players dont have to match.    Either team would just have to cut  a player if they dont have a roster spot available

Just now, d2o said:

The number of players dont have to match.    Either team would just have to cut  a player if they dont have a roster spot available

Right. That's a better way to word it. Their roster number still has to be 15 at the end of the trade. So there has to be more to what the Lakers are taking on, unless New Orleans plans on waiving 3 guys.

33 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

So there has to be more to what the Lakers are taking on

Nope. Woj is saying that the Lakers have thus far been unwilling to swallow NO's bad contracts. Only two of the young guys, only one draft pick, and no salary cap relief...you be you, Magic.

Again, in 5 days I think the Lakers give up and tell New Orleans to build any deal they want. But egregious low-balling after rampant tampering/collusion and the feeling that you're playing into Klutch's hands is a good way to make New Orleans not want to deal with you, even if they like your final offer.

I don't even dislike DSJ...but what is he elite at besides jumping? What is the skill he has that you say, "he'll be able to build on that foundation and add complimentary skills that could make him an All-Star"?
If you look at all the really good players in the league, all of them had something that stood out right away, even if it took them years to develop the rest of their games.

DSJ is a good perimeter defender. He can also get to the hole at will. We must have been watching different games.

Also, the Knicks made the trade with clear-as-day intentions of signing KD and KI. Kemba is probably plan B. So, if things go to plan, DSJ won't even be on their team next year (unless he wants to be Irving's backup). He'll be moved for other pieces. The trade really was KP for cap space and trade chips. If DSJ is their starting point guard on opening night next season, things went awry.

Edited by aggie08

59 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Nope. Woj is saying that the Lakers have thus far been unwilling to swallow NO's bad contracts. Only two of the young guys, only one draft pick, and no salary cap relief...you be you, Magic.

Again, in 5 days I think the Lakers give up and tell New Orleans to build any deal they want. But egregious low-balling after rampant tampering/collusion and the feeling that you're playing into Klutch's hands is a good way to make New Orleans not want to deal with you, even if they like your final offer.

If the Kawhi Leonard negotiations are any indication, the offers will get worse. 

3 hours ago, d2o said:

The Lakers don’t want that bad money because they want to sign a 3rd star after trading for AD.  Here’s the run with the Lakers offer.  It’s shitty and it’ll always be there until June 30th.  Probably after.  I don’t give a shit about their threats or ADs.

They have to get this done or they’re going to squander Lebrons last good years.  If AD is traded elsewhere, they’re going to sign/trade other L-t guys and there will be no space for AD.  Hope the Cans can do something right.

3 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Here’s the rub though.... smarts better than any of the Lakers pieces right now.  Now he’s at his ceiling while those guys have potential, but are you positive those guys will get better?  He’s the 4/5th asset in a potential Boston deal.  Give me a Lakers offer that’s better than Tatum, Brown, lottery pick and a big expiring contract of a good player?  Now maybe Boston doesn’t offer all of that but if tatums in the deal then he’s the lynchpin.  What can the knicks offer if they only get the 4th pick?

if i'm new orleans, the lakers are taking etwaun moore and i am getting ingram, lonzo, kuzma zubac, this year's unprotected first and their 2021 unprotected first or i'm not doing the deal before the deadline and i'll go into the summer looking for the best possible offer. someone will bite.  

4 hours ago, d2o said:

So Harden was jacking up shots at the end of a blowout loss to try and keep his 30 pt streak going.   Interesting...............

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, there's a fine line between having to jack up shots because guys are hurt and that's basically your offense anyway, and blatantly stat/MVP hunting. I'd say he crossed that line last night.

Did you guys actually watch the game? I mean, there was no reason for him to be in the game in the last two minutes, but he very clearly was not just jacking up shots to get to 30. He did a lot of passing and passing up shots in the last few minutes for someone jacking up shots to keep the streak going.

17 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

This was never a bad trade for NY. Anyone who thought so was making a knee jerk reaction. As you said, KP didn't want to be in NY. An injured player making demands? Fuck em. Ship him out. He hasn't even lived up to the hype that has been there. Ligament/knee damage for a big man is a big gamble. This isn't Steph's ankle issues being a small guard. So far, KP can't handle the wear and tear of an NBA season. NY gets a very good player in DSJ, expiring contracts and 2 first round picks. People say "well they could have gotten AD for this package". Well, by a lot of accounts, NO was not interested in KP. And I don't blame them. He's a very risky gamble. They are going to get a very high pick this year, maybe Zion. Him and DSJ is a very good way to start a team moving forward. I'd take them 2 over KP any day. Or if it isn't Zion, this draft is pretty deep at the top end. They can find someone to pair with DSJ.

Dallas better tank the fuck out of the rest of this season. Try and get a top 5 pick this season to salvage losing DSJ. Get someone talented to pair with Luka and KP. 

The Mavs can't tank enough to get a top 5 pick, and with Donic they're not going to be able to.  Plus they upgraded from Mathews and at worst are worse at rebounding but have better defenders now that DAJ is gone.

16 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

You are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to high on DSJ. They got nothing of value in this trade except for cap space. And if they don’t get Zion this is not a deep draft. It’s basically RJ Barrett and Zion. After that there is a bunch of guys like Reddish, Langford, etc.

Yep.

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

KP not being healthy will suck for the Mavs, no doubt.  But it's well worth risk for what they gave up which was basically a couple of First rounders 3 and 5 years down the road(which won't be lottery picks IMO), and DSJ who's a highlight reel but not much else IMO.

15 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Absolutely.  And I'd add Zion probably too.  They come out of this with just KI or just KD and like Butler or Kemba it's "okay" but still not a great trade for them.

2 hours ago, fellside said:

1. KP is a restricted free agent this summer. Meaning it can be matched.

2. New York isnt getting a draft pick this year.

All of this.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I think in the right system with the right players he'll be fine.  But he's still an undisciplined player, and that's what Rick didn't like about him, and neither did most fans who were okay with him going elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

Did you guys actually watch the game? I mean, there was no reason for him to be in the game in the last two minutes, but he very clearly was not just jacking up shots to get to 30. He did a lot of passing and passing up shots in the last few minutes for someone jacking up shots to keep the streak going.

I think last night, in the final minutes with the game out of reach, would have been the perfect opportunity to take himself out of the game, or purposely stay put at 27. They've had a rough few games, and it would probably do them some good to have the conversation shift away from Harden's streak. Get back to the little things...like defense. I think the streak matters to him; that's fine, but expect scrutiny when you play pretty poorly but do just enough to get your own individual goal. 

30 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I think last night, in the final minutes with the game out of reach, would have been the perfect opportunity to take himself out of the game, or purposely stay put at 27. They've had a rough few games, and it would probably do them some good to have the conversation shift away from Harden's streak. Get back to the little things...like defense. I think the streak matters to him; that's fine, but expect scrutiny when you play pretty poorly but do just enough to get your own individual goal.

He played two more minutes than he should have. In that time he took two shots.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

The Mavs can't tank enough to get a top 5 pick, and with Donic they're not going to be able to.  Plus they upgraded from Mathews and at worst are worse at rebounding but have better defenders now that DAJ is gone.

Yep.

KP not being healthy will suck for the Mavs, no doubt.  But it's well worth risk for what they gave up which was basically a couple of First rounders 3 and 5 years down the road(which won't be lottery picks IMO), and DSJ who's a highlight reel but not much else IMO.

Absolutely.  And I'd add Zion probably too.  They come out of this with just KI or just KD and like Butler or Kemba it's "okay" but still not a great trade for them.

All of this.

I think in the right system with the right players he'll be fine.  But he's still an undisciplined player, and that's what Rick didn't like about him, and neither did most fans who were okay with him going elsewhere.

Also the Mavs don’t have a first round pick anyway. They aren’t trying to tank at all.

This is a move that is to help them maybe sneak into the playoffs with Hardaway and Luka this year.

Edited by hobbes2702

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I don’t think the Lakers youth corps is actually anything special.  If those same players were in a small market nobody would be talking what great trade assets Ingram, Ball and Kuzma are.

Lebron and AD would be devastating even with a shit surrounding cast.  And if it does blow up for whatever reason, the Lakers are usually going to be the number 1 free agent destination for most of the top players.  I’d take my shot and stop wasting the remaining time with a prime Lebron.

When Jrue and AD are on the floor together, with any other three guys, the numbers paint the Pels as a 60 win team. When you take either of them off the floor that flips to basically a 60 loss team. KOC was talking about this when discussing NOP shipping out Jrue also.

If AD and Jrue can do that, imagine what KD and Bron can do.