2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

Just cmonint

13 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Woj came back and said everyone but Kyrie is on the table for AD.  Tatum can go, the issue may be what more can go?  And Ainge can offer less than full value based on rumors of desires destinations but then you go another route.  Lakers deal continues to erode as time goes on so doubt it goes down much.... issue may be they probably need 3rd team in the summer. 

I think the Lakers will be a little less desperate in the summer than now.   They want AD for the playoff run.    In the summer they may be able to snag a big FA or work out a trade for another player.    

18 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Right?! That's what I thought.  But Lowe and Arnovitz think that there will be some teams sniffing around.  Either to pay him a little more, or to have him opt out, so they can lock him down for a longer 4/$80M type deal.  Craziness.

17 hours ago, CBT said:

Re: Barnes. While I don’t think he will opt out, he will only be 27. He is going to make more than $25mm the rest of this career. So it just comes down to whether he wants to go to into FA next year or the next. And then weigh his option + the riskiness the FA deals next summer versus the FA deals this summer. 4/80 sounds crazy but what about 3/54? And then go into FA again at age 30. Not that crazy. (Note: I cant remember when the CBA is up and there will probably be a work stoppage so that plays into this also.)

I mean I don't believe won't take the guaranteed max money next year, and then still be a what, 28-29 year old FA?  He'll get another contract regardless even after the Mavs let him walk.

BUT, I would SO love for that to happen.  The Mavs with Luka and KP, and 25 mil freed from the cap to spend this off season? Rebuild jumps to hyperdrive.

7 hours ago, Chad said:

Harden's response was pretty much perfect and sums up why the backlash to his ball-hogging is so much less severe than it was for Russ (not just here among Rockets' fans, but nationally): self-awareness.

Harden took Kobe's criticism, and essentially said, "He's right. We're not going to win playoff games playing like this. I'm doing what I have to now, but we need to get the other guys back and involved."  If that was Russ from 2 years ago, the response would have been some thinly veiled version of, "Fuck you, I'm gonna do me."

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 2

Just now, Drew said:

I mean I don't believe won't take the guaranteed max money next year, and then still be a what, 28-29 year old FA?  He'll get another contract regardless even after the Mavs let him walk.

BUT, I would SO love for that to happen.  The Mavs with Luka and KP, and 25 mil freed from the cap to spend this off season? Rebuild jumps to hyperdrive.

I can't imagine that he would get a deal next summer that he couldn't get the summer after.    Only he would be 25M richer.    If he declines his option someone in his camp needs to kick the shit out of his agent.

Just now, d2o said:

I can't imagine that he would get a deal next summer that he couldn't get the summer after.    Only he would be 25M richer.    If he declines his option someone in his camp needs to kick the shit out of his agent.

Yeah, I think the safe money would be him opting in, but that there's even a debate...yikes.

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

Man, that supermax deal is looking like a better investment errday

I can't even find it in me to make any jokes anymore.  It's just sad.  It's, by far, the worst contract in the league, and it hasn't even started yet!   Things are going to get very, very ugly there in the coming years, given Wall's personality type and Washington's willingness to air things out in the press.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

I can't even find it in me to make any jokes anymore.  It's just sad.  It's, by far, the worst contract in the league, and it hasn't even started yet!   Things are going to get very, very ugly there in the coming years, given Wall's personality type and Washington's willingness to air things out in the press.

I just wonder if he was doing something that he wasn't supposed to be doing or if WAS will say he was and try to void part of or all of the deal.   With him, he very well could have been doing something stupid.

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, I think the safe money would be him opting in, but that there's even a debate...yikes.

Correct,  I should amend my earlier statement.    That this is even be considered by him should get the shit kicked out of his agent cause he clearly is not doing his job.

Safe to say that the supermax has been an absolute disaster.  It isn't enough of a perk to keep the Top 5ish players (who it was designed for) in town because they're smart enough to realize that they only have to wait 2-3 more seasons until they're a 10 year vet to make the identical % of the cap anyway.  The players who have jumped at the offer are the ones that the franchise almost immediately wished they hadn't.

Edited by aggie08

14 minutes ago, d2o said:

I just wonder if he was doing something that he wasn't supposed to be doing or if WAS will say he was and try to void part of or all of the deal.   With him, he very well could have been doing something stupid.

If they could somehow get his contract medically voided and picked up by insurance, would his number still count against their cap?  I can't remember what happened/is happening with Bosh.

Just now, aggie08 said:

Safe to say that the supermax has been an absolute disaster.  It isn't enough of a perk to keep the Top 5ish players (who it was designed for) in town they're smart enough to realize that they only have to wait 2-3 more seasons until they're a 10 year vet to make the identical % of the cap.  The players who have jumped at the offer are the ones that the franchise almost immediately wished they hadn't.

bingo.   That is the problem with the supermax (and max for that matter).   If you are the best player on a team you think you deserve it and some of the poorly run teams feel like they have to give it to keep their best player regardless of if they think he can get them to their goal of winning.

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If they could somehow get his contract medically voided and picked up by insurance, would his number still count against their cap?  I can't remember what happened/is happening with Bosh.

Pretty sure MIA was given relief in the form of a medical exception but IIRC it was only around 6-8M.    Bosh's salary was picked up by insurance when it was diagnosed as career ending.   That is why they were so against him trying come back or even cutting him and letting him try to play elsewhere.................................that and not wanting a player to die on the court.   

EDIT: Oh and his salary still counts toward the cap.

EDIT II:  If Wall was doing something he wasn't supposed to that would change things A LOT (think Jay Williams).   Bosh's injury wasn't due to negligence.   I will check cbafaq.org and see what it says.

Edited by d2o

41 minutes ago, d2o said:

Just cmonint

I think the Lakers will be a little less desperate in the summer than now.   They want AD for the playoff run.    In the summer they may be able to snag a big FA or work out a trade for another player.    

Like who?  I think after KD and Kawhi say no, who of AD’s stature is available?  I think they become more desperate if that happens....

35 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Harden's response was pretty much perfect and sums up why the backlash to his ball-hogging is so much less severe than it was for Russ (not just here among Rockets' fans, but nationally): self-awareness.

Harden took Kobe's criticism, and essentially said, "He's right. We're not going to win playoff games playing like this. I'm doing what I have to now, but we need to get the other guys back and involved."  If that was Russ from 2 years ago, the response would have been some thinly veiled version of, "Fuck you, I'm gonna do me."

that's a nice story and all, and it's convenient that his teammates are injured, except Harden's usage was league-high in November and December when CP3 was still on the court, and both higher than last year when he was already leading the league (and everyone was healthy)

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

that's a nice story and all, and it's convenient that his teammates are injured, except Harden's usage was league-high in November and December when CP3 was still on the court, and both higher than last year when he was already leading the league (and everyone was healthy)

...and they were one win away from a championship with him being slightly less ball-hoggy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, d2o said:

True, but not many would be able to offer what the Lakers can.

I disagree.  Nothing on that team excites me.  There's a lot of recognizable names because they're high picks and/or Lakers, but it's a whole lot of meh plus draft picks that figure to be in the 20's for years to come.  What is the hope adding the entire Lakers' roster?  Maybe Ingram just needs a change of scenery.  Maybe Kuzma develops into more of a playmaker than the limited scorer that you and I see him as.  Maybe Zubac has a Steven Adams mean streak in him.  Maybe Ball doesn't cause waves and improves with the ball in his hands more.  More likely, you're going to be good enough (including this year) to threaten for 8 and 9 seeds, but never bad enough to get a great pick.  I'm not even saying that that's a bad goal; not every franchise should shoot for titles, being young and fun (are any of those players considered fun?) and just trying to make the playoffs is enough.  I just think they have bigger aspirations trading a once-a-decade type franchise player.

Maybe they won't get a deal with as many names on it in the summer, but I bet they get more and better future assets, allowing them to tank in the short term.

Edited by aggie08

Just now, Radical Larry said:

Wow.  That's interesting.  Lowry is having a down year, and doesn't exactly love the Raptors' FO, but he's still the heart and soul of that team.  Conley is a proven leader, but pretty tough to just walk into a new locker room and take over that role.

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I disagree.  Nothing on that team excites me.  There's a lot of recognizable names because they're high picks and/or Lakers, but it's a whole lot of meh plus draft picks that figure to be in the 20's for years to come.  What is the hope adding the entire Lakers' roster?  Maybe Ingram just needs a change of scenery.  Maybe Kuzma develops into more of a playmaker than the limited scorer that you and I see him as.  Maybe Zubac has a Steven Adams mean streak in him.  Maybe Ball doesn't cause waves and improves with the ball in his hands more.  More likely, you're going to be good enough (including this year) to threaten for 8 and 9 seeds, but never bad enough to get a great pick.  I'm not even saying that that's a bad goal; not every franchise should shoot for titles, being young and fun (are any of those players considered fun?) and just trying to make the playoffs is enough.  I just think they have bigger aspirations trading a once-a-decade type franchise player.

Maybe they won't get a deal with as many names on it in the summer, but I bet they get more and better future assets, allowing them to tank in the short term.

Hmmmmm.............you didn't mention LBJ.       You think they are gonna tank with LBJ?   Boogie signing and them not having to give up the young guys is pretty good IMO.    They can still trade them at that point and upgrade if needed.

Just now, d2o said:

Hmmmmm.............you didn't mention LBJ.       You think they are gonna tank with LBJ?   Boogie signing and them not having to give up the young guys is pretty good IMO.    They can still trade them at that point and upgrade if needed.

I'm talking about New Orleans, sorry.  No one on LA should be that interesting to NO.

Just now, aggie08 said:

Woj says that talks are still ongoing, but the Lakers will no longer bid against themselves.

So effectively kicking the van to the offseason.  But all this negotiating in the media is bullshit for our amusement as they could pick right back up with a phone call.... silly.  Just more public gyrating for fans.

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Conley a couple years younger and Lowry probably wouldn’t stay as he doesn’t like Ujiri.... expensive for raptors but they want to press all the right buttons for Kawhi.

He clearly has an issue with Ujiri based on an interview earlier this season.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Why would the lakers trade for Boogie when they can sign him this summer? And with Boogies contract being so light you’re not going to be able to get much of anything back.

I mean them signing him this summer.   That's what we were talking about.     IF they don't get KD or Kawhi, the next target would be Boogie.

Edited by d2o