2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

2 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

Yeah I knew they would try to make a space to get Melo or some other buyout guy but Zubac was supposed to be one of their young assets.    Muscala will actually be decent for them but I didn't think they would give Zubac away so easily.

14 minutes ago, d2o said:

So its really not about honoring the contract then, right?

As long as the athlete is compensated as agreed, the contract has been honored, regardless of who ultimately signs the check.

On the flipside, an athlete who refuses to play (or fakes/exaggerates an injury to get out of playing) is most definitely not honoring his contract.

What about this is so difficult for you to understand?

Edited by Braff Zacklin

Philly sort of misplayed their hand starting this summer.  The Colanagelo situation really hamstrung them and not hiring a replacement GM right away paralyzed them.  If they don't get to the EC Finals and don't keep all their pieces, it's going to be potential lost, IMO.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

As long as the athlete is compensated as agreed, the contract has been honored, regardless of who ultimately signs the check.

On the flipside, an athlete who refuses to play (or fakes/exaggerates an injury to get out of playing) is most definitely not honoring his contract.

What about this is so difficult for you to understand?

If you show me where I mentioned players sitting out is honoring their contracts, I will tip my hat.  AD has not refused to play.   In fact, NO is refusing to play him right now.   Who is or is not honoring the contract?

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That's fucking embarrassing for Philly..... Embarrassing.  Great job by Orlando... did I really just type that?

Not so sure.   We gave up a 1st and 2nd.  I just hope it is not this yr's 1st.

1 minute ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Twitter says its the OKC 1st.

Yeah I just saw that.   I'm good then.  Low risk, high reward.      We need a PG badly.    Hope he can get it together.

Edited by d2o

12 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

Okay, at least they got a first rounder out of it.... That's more like it.  His value has plummeted but at least got a couple of picks (not great ones), still, what a travesty of a pick.  This should close the books on the Colangelo's.  They can STFU.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

29 minutes ago, d2o said:

If you show me where I mentioned players sitting out is honoring their contracts, I will tip my hat.  AD has not refused to play.   In fact, NO is refusing to play him right now.   Who is or is not honoring the contract?

Again with the strawman response. I never stated AD refused to play and as far as I'm aware, the Pels are still paying AD even though they've elected to sit him, so they are absolutely honoring the signed paper.

Your post to MNL and your response to me just now assert that owners are not honoring contracts if they trade a player who is under contract ... or if they sit a player who goes to the media and says he no longer wants to play for the team that holds his rights. This is false.

If a player is under contract, he is obligated to play for whomever holds his rights at that time. If he chooses not to, or makes it known that he no longer wants to, too bad for him.

It really is that simple.

45 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Again with the strawman response. I never stated AD refused to play and as far as I'm aware, the Pels are still paying AD even though they've elected to sit him, so they are absolutely honoring the signed paper.

Your post to MNL and your response to me just now assert that owners are not honoring contracts if they trade a player who is under contract ... or if they sit a player who goes to the media and says he no longer wants to play for the team that holds his rights. This is false.

If a player is under contract, he is obligated to play for whomever holds his rights at that time. If he chooses not to, or makes it known that he no longer wants to, too bad for him.

It really is that simple.

Again, I never said anything about players refusing to play.   I believe throughout this we can all agree on that not being cool.  

But let's be clear, you consider a player stating that he would like to be traded as not honoring their contract?   Even when he continues to play?    

Edited by d2o

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
15 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Boban and Embiid? Modern day twin towers

The memes and IG stories should be FIRE from those two.    I'm so glad Boby and Toby are still together.   From DET to LA and now on to PHI

Edited by d2o

1 minute ago, d2o said:

Again, I never said anything about players refusing to play.   I believe throughout this we can all agree on that not being cool.

But let's be clear, you consider a player stating that he would like to be traded as not honoring their contract?   Even when he continues to play?    

No, I see a player publicly demanding to be traded while he is under contract to be overwhelmingly self-indulgent and unprofessional. How many of us would have jobs if we publicly condemned our bosses and/or working conditions and demanded to be re-assigned elsewhere?

As a boss, how could you trust an employee who has gone this route? How can there be any faith in his commitment, effort, or word once he has publicly attempted to manipulate you for his personal gain?

It will be interesting to see if the owners have the resolve to address this unfortunate trend in a few years when renegotiating the next CBA. My suggestion would be to increase tampering fines into the millions, and to void the "guaranteed" portion of a player's contract once he has publicly shit on his boss and/or franchise.

I'm sure that would result in a lengthy lockout, but I don't see any other way to correct this trend. Would love to read other thoughts on the subject, however.

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

No, I see a player publicly demanding to be traded while he is under contract to be overwhelmingly self-indulgent and unprofessional. How many of us would have jobs if we publicly condemned our bosses and/or working conditions and demanded to be re-assigned elsewhere?

As a boss, how could you trust an employee who has gone this route? How can there be any faith in his commitment, effort, or word once he has publicly attempted to manipulate you for his personal gain?

It will be interesting to see if the owners have the resolve to address this unfortunate trend in a few years when renegotiating the next CBA. My suggestion would be to increase tampering fines into the millions, and to void the "guaranteed" portion of a player's contract once he has publicly shit on his boss and/or franchise.

I'm sure that would result in a lengthy lockout, but I don't see any other way to correct this trend. Would love to read other thoughts on the subject, however.

So that's a no?

Anyway, if they void the contract of a player for saying that he wants to be traded doesn't that make him a FA immediately?

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Not what I said. Please re-read what I wrote. You can do it, I have faith in you.

Since we are being condescending, maybe you just don't understand NBA contracts.    The whole thing is guaranteed in pretty much every case.   If they void the" guaranteed" part the player becomes a FA, no?

Edited by d2o

12 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

How many of us would have jobs if we publicly condemned our bosses and/or working conditions and demanded to be re-assigned elsewhere?

To be fair, most of us have the freedom to leave whenever the hell we want for greener pastures if our boss sucks, or working conditions are unfavorable, or we just feel like it one day. No explanation or tweets needed.

Conversely, AD didn't have to sign for a full 4+1 year extension after his rookie deal if he had concerns about the direction of the franchise. He could have signed shorter deals for flexibility. Instead, he chose long-term security, but wants his cake and to eat it too by leaving when it suits him.

I have no problem with guys asking for trades privately. But whatever happens after that point, you better be able to live with it. All the public and media manipulation and collusion, trying to back New Orleans into a corner, I agree, is problematic.

Both sides were pretty damn unprofessional in all of this.

Edited by aggie08

Just now, d2o said:

Since we are being condescending, maybe you just don't understand NBA contracts.    The whole thing is guaranteed in pretty every case.   If they void the guaranteed part the player becomes a FA, no?

You're being idiotic, not condescending.

I'm aware of how current NBA contracts work, which is why I suggested that owners renegotiate the CBA when it's time in a few years to null and void the guaranteed clause of a contract once a player has publicly demanded a trade despite being under contract. At any other job, this would be considered insubordination.

My suggestion obviously does not (and cannot) apply to the current CBA.

I do not understand why this is so difficult for you to grasp.