2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

To be fair, most of us have the freedom to leave whenever the hell we want for greener pastures if our boss sucks, or working conditions are unfavorable, or we just feel like it one day. No explanation or tweets needed.

Precisely. And AFAIK, there's nothing that prevents an under-contract NBA athlete from quitting the association if he's unhappy and seeking employment in a professional league elsewhere.

In that context, they have every bit as much freedom as you or I leaving whenever the hell we want for greener pastures or if our boss sucks.

In order to protect the modest amount of parity that exists, one cannot see this as a "I refuse to work for New Orleans" (or NYK or SAS) situation. As far as I'm concerned, if he's under contract and suddenly finds the need to proclaim he no longer wishes to work for the team that holds his rights, then has essentially declared he no longer wants to play in the NBA.

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

You're being idiotic, not condescending.

I'm aware of how current NBA contracts work, which is why I suggested that owners renegotiate the CBA when it's time in a few years to null and void the guaranteed clause of a contract once a player has publicly demanded a trade despite being under contract. At any other job, this would be considered insubordination.

My suggestion obviously does not (and cannot) apply to the current CBA.

I do not understand why this is so difficult for you to grasp.

So you are suggesting that the contracts of the future CBA have guaranteed and non-guaranteed portions? 

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

To be fair, most of us have the freedom to leave whenever the hell we want for greener pastures if our boss sucks, or working conditions are unfavorable, or we just feel like it one day. No explanation or tweets needed.

Conversely, AD didn't have to sign for a full 4+1 year extension after his rookie deal if he has concerns over the franchise. He could have signed shorter deals for flexibility. Instead, he chose long-term security, but wants his cake and to eat it too by leaving when it suits him.

I have no problem with guys asking for trades privately. But whatever happens after that point, you better be able to live with it. All the public and media manipulation and collusion, trying to back New Orleans into a corner, I agree, is problematic.

Both sides were pretty damn unprofessional in all of this.

This is pretty much my whole point.    It goes both ways.  

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Precisely. And AFAIK, there's nothing that prevents an under-contract NBA athlete from quitting the association if he's unhappy and seeking employment in a professional league elsewhere.

That's not really what I was getting at at all, but okay.

34 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

@ d2o

I believe I've been very clear with my suggestion. If you disagree, fine, I'll gladly read any counter-suggestions, but it doesn't seem like you have an issue with this trend.

Maybe I'm overreacting, or maybe there's a fix that won't result in a protracted lockout. Who knows? I'm all eyes.

I just disagree that it's a problem that needs resolution first and foremost.   Players have asked for trades for most of our lives.  I do believe that if the teams have players that ask for trades were managed better they wouldn't have players asking for trades.

Additionally, I don't see asking for a trade as some unforgivable deed that should cause a player to lose his ability to be in the league.   I don't like the public declarations but in today's age it will get out almost immediately anyway like with Porzingas.  

Like I said previously, if the team can decide that the relationship no longer works for them why is it such a bad thing that a player comes to the same conclusion?  As long as he continues to play and be professional then it shouldn't be an issue.  The same way they expect the player to continue to be professional when his name is in trade rumors. 

It goes both ways.

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

it's funny and incredibly ironic that you'll get this mad over hearing KD bitch about something once, yet you think he's out of line for finally getting exasperated at hearing the exact same questions that he has no answer for day after day after day for months on end. if you don't think that would annoy you too you're delusional. 

also, fans who say, "KD is such a bitch" are pretty much the worst NBA fans out there at the moment. I don't know where all of this fan sensitivity towards him comes from, but nobody in the history of basketball has been called a "bitch" by a bunch of out of shape, 30 and 40-something year old white guys for doing things that all sorts of players have been doing for decades, eg talking shit to fans, arguing with refs, and not liking the chore of talking to the robot media members. none of these fans ever called anybody else a bitch for doing these exact same thing which have been going on for decades, but every time KD does it here come the keyboard warriors, shouting "KD is a bitch!!!" STFU and GTFO with that childish, dramatic crap.

When you live on one year contracts so that you have more power over your situation, you get to answer never ending questions about free agency. Period. The only person who needs to quit whining is Kevin Durant. Sign a longer deal or deal with it, pussy.

10 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

When you live on one year contracts so that you have more power over your situation, you get to answer never ending questions about free agency. Period. The only person who needs to quit whining is Kevin Durant. Sign a longer deal or deal with it, pussy.

No. Wrong. He can't answer their questions. He either doesn't know what the future holds and therefore literally doesn't have an answer for them, or, even if he does have ideas about where he might be playing next year, he's never going to share them publicly because that would be lunacy. So either way, there's nothing he can say. There's nothing unique about KD being frustrated by being asked the same unanswerable questions day after day ad nauseum, and the idea that he's a "pussy" or a "bitch" for finally getting frustrated enough to say something about it is just dumb. 

15 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

He’s also told them to stop asking him about it and they continued asking him everyday. What else should he do?

I dunno maybe ignore the question.   Say "next question".   Go beast mode and "I'm not discussing FA during the season" to any and every question.   Anything but telling people to grow up while acting like a child

25 minutes ago, d2o said:

I dunno maybe ignore the question.   Say "next question".   Go beast mode and "I'm not discussing FA during the season" to any and every question.   Anything but telling people to grow up while acting like a child

??? he did do those things and they still kept asking him the same questions day after day.

some of y'all are just desperate to hate KD no matter what. Really weird. 

also, think about the logic you're using here- do you really want to stand by that? how about this example:

Mom is on the phone trying to talk to her doctor about something but little Timmy won't stop pestering her. He's talking to her, he's grabbing her pants leg, he's running around her making airplane noises, and she keeps quietly imploring him to leave her alone while she's on the phone. But Timmy just keeps going, constantly pestering her going, "Mommmmyyyyyyy, I'm huuuunnngggrrryyy, when are you gonna get off the phone?" After several minutes of this mom gets tired of it and yells at Timmy knock it off. According to you guys, mom is a pussy and a bitch and is "acting like a child" in this scenario. You really want to stand by that?

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Like I said previously, if the team can decide that the relationship no longer works for them why is it such a bad thing that a player comes to the same conclusion? 

As long as he continues to play and be professional then it shouldn't be an issue.

Because the team/league is the employer, the athlete the employee, and management rarely takes a public shit on its players. As far as I can recall, the last GM to do so was abruptly forced to resign.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

As long as he continues to play and be professional then it shouldn't be an issue.

Except going public and demanding a trade while you are under contract to someone who is paying you millions of dollars and has the respect to keep their mouth shut despite whatever disagreements they might have is antithetical to being professional, so it should be an issue.

The KD thing goes beyond being asked the same question everyday over and over, despite your answer not changing.  There was what he perceived as a "hit piece" written a couple of days ago by a reporter who didn't get anybody on the record about his free agency and he took exception as he feels not only were his on the record answers twisted but the writer made several things up.  I have no idea if this is true, I just don't care about his feud with the media.  Is it silly?  Probably but it just doesn't matter very much.....Either way.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

22 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Because the team/league is the employer, the athlete the employee, and management rarely takes a public shit on its players. As far as I can recall, the last GM to do so was abruptly forced to resign.

Except going public and demanding a trade while you are under contract to someone who is paying you millions of dollars and has the respect to keep their mouth shut despite whatever disagreements they might have is antithetical to being professional, so it should be an issue.

If those are your thoughts then we will never agree so we may as well leave it alone.

The vast majority of guys that have asked for trades have not "taken a public shit" on their teams.    Again, them asking for a trade (especially when done privately) is no different than the team shopping players for trade.   If you see one as a "public shit" then the other should be as well.

Edited by d2o

12 minutes ago, d2o said:

The vast majority of guys that have asked for trades have not "taken a public shit" on their teams.    Again, them asking for a trade (especially when done privately) is no different than the team shopping players for trade.   If you see one as a "public shit" then the other should be as well.

Yet another strawman from you--not a single one of my comments has been directed toward players privately asking for trades. On the contrary, I've made multiple posts stressing that privately is how their concerns should be handled.

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

Yet another strawman from you--not a single one of my comments has been directed toward players privately asking for trades. On the contrary, I've made multiple posts stressing that privately is how their concerns should be handled.

alright man whatever you say.  you refuse to read whad what I type so let's just move on.

47 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The KD thing goes beyond being asked the same question everyday over and over, despite your answer not changing.  There was what he perceived as a "hit piece" written a couple of days ago by a reporter who didn't get anybody on the record about his free agency and he took exception as he feels not only were his on the record answers twisted but the writer made several things up.  I have no idea if this is true, I just don't care about his feud with the media.  Is it silly?  Probably but it just doesn't matter very much.....Either way.

That’s Ethan Strauss. That guy sucks.  I’m pretty sure you’re doing a shitty job when the entire team you’re supposed to be covering hates you. If Kevin was shitting on that one dude only, I take back my criticism. 

9 minutes ago, Kermit said:

That’s Ethan Strauss. That guy sucks.  I’m pretty sure you’re doing a shitty job when the entire team you’re supposed to be covering hates you. If Kevin was shitting on that one dude only, I take back my criticism. 

KD specifically named him in that little rant posted earlier. I haven't followed this drama much, but that particular session he handled very well imo. It's poor journalism for any reporters to think he's going to give a revealing answer about his 2019-20 location while they're competing for another ring this spring.

15 minutes ago, Kermit said:

That’s their job. They’re going to ask. 

I don’t think their job is to ask questions that they have been given an answer to.

And his job is to score points. It doesn’t say in his contract that he has to answer questions about free agency. So him not answering question doesn’t make him a bitch. It makes him like every other athlete ever that got tired of the bullshit.

Edit: didn’t realize you weren’t the one calling him a bitch. That’s my only point. It’s dumb to act like he’s somehow soft when this happens all the time with the media.

Edited by hobbes2702

25 minutes ago, Kermit said:

That’s their job. They’re going to ask. 

you keep saying this. why? their job is not "ask kevin durant about his free agency every single day no matter how many times he refuses to answer or asks you to stop", their job is to cover the team, players, and/or league, and asking the same damn question a hundred times when you know you aren't going to get an answer does not constitute "just doing their job". Jesus. 

heres what it's like trying to discuss this with you:

Edited by Goo Punch

3 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

In that context, they have every bit as much freedom as you or I leaving whenever the hell we want for greener pastures or if our boss sucks.

In order to protect the modest amount of parity that exists, one cannot see this as a "I refuse to work for New Orleans" (or NYK or SAS) situation. As far as I'm concerned, if he's under contract and suddenly finds the need to proclaim he no longer wishes to work for the team that holds his rights, then has essentially declared he no longer wants to play in the NBA.

Actually, I think FIBA might prevent it.  I guess a guy could go play for the Washington Generals or something but I don’t think Real Madrid can sign an under contract NBA player and vice versa.  Perhaps I am wrong.  Still....ultimately not the point. 

23 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

you keep saying this. why? their job is not "ask kevin durant about his free agency every single day no matter how many times he refuses to answer or asks you to stop", their job is to cover the team, players, and/or league, and asking the same damn question a hundred times when you know you aren't going to get an answer does not constitute "just doing their job". Jesus. 

heres what it's like trying to discuss this with you:

That’s their job.

• Like 1

i have always loved Rondo.  He's fucking special, what a blessing to have him on one's team.

what a fucking game to behold, one of the best this year.

that lebron 3 in the corner was madness -- he flubs the ball , almost loses it oob, then bounces it high off the floor, Pope retrieves it and in one motion zips it to bron who had set up in the corner who fucking drills the mf in the hole. 

Epic Win bitches. 

3 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

I don’t think their job is to ask questions that they have been given an answer to.

And his job is to score points. It doesn’t say in his contract that he has to answer questions about free agency. So him not answering question doesn’t make him a bitch. It makes him like every other athlete ever that got tired of the bullshit.

Edit: didn’t realize you weren’t the one calling him a bitch. That’s my only point. It’s dumb to act like he’s somehow soft when this happens all the time with the media.

KD is right to complain (especially Strauss he's a hack) but I think he gets it kind of bad because the press knows he's sensitive and they even want the "news" of KD blowing up.  They know if they keep pushing him he can't take it and just ignore it after a while like some other NBA players.  

15 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

No. Wrong. He can't answer their questions. He either doesn't know what the future holds and therefore literally doesn't have an answer for them, or, even if he does have ideas about where he might be playing next year, he's never going to share them publicly because that would be lunacy. So either way, there's nothing he can say. There's nothing unique about KD being frustrated by being asked the same unanswerable questions day after day ad nauseum, and the idea that he's a "pussy" or a "bitch" for finally getting frustrated enough to say something about it is just dumb. 

Oh no, the horrors of having to play basketball for a living and answer some questions in the media per your contractual obligations.....please, make it stop!

It's soft. This guy doesn't realize how easy the media really has been on him. I mean, for fuck's sake, the guy in OKC had to actually apologize for the "mr unreliable" article. It's soft.

9 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Oh no, the horrors of having to play basketball for a living and answer some questions in the media per your contractual obligations.....please, make it stop!

It's soft. This guy doesn't realize how easy the media really has been on him. I mean, for fuck's sake, the guy in OKC had to actually apologize for the "mr unreliable" article. It's soft.

KD is definitely one of the most thin skinned players in sports. But you are on a UT message board so naturally any criticism of him will be met with resistance. 

54 minutes ago, Kermit said:

If I were New Orleans, my response to the NBA’s mandate that AD play would be to call a timeout immediately after the tip and sit his ass. There. He played.

One unfortunate side effect of AD not getting traded: good luck tanking.