2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

fwiw- 

•Scott Foster reffed two Rox games in last year's WCF and they went 0-2
•Prior to last night Harden hadn't fouled out in like a year or two- the last time it happened scott foster was the head ref
•The Rockets had already formally complained to the league about scott foster before last night
•Last night both Harden and CP3 fouled out (two guards?! That's rare)
•FTA last night during the last 20 minutes- LAL 17, HOU 0

i'm not going to shed tears for the Rockets, but i'd probably be pissed myself if i was them.

seems like we can't have a single night go by without atrocious officiating, same as the nfl season. i just watched a raptors assistant get tossed from the game by a referee who was 25 feet away and completely facing the other direction. you see a different referee said something in that ref's general direction, and the ref turned around (full 180), looked at the assistant who didn't say anything and tossed him. fucking brilliant. 

45 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Who am I? (stats for games played in 2019, so his last 22 games)

19.0 pts, 8.0 ast, 4.0 reb, 1.0 stl, 82% FT (5 FTA/gm), 36% 3P (6.3 3PA/gm)

Its Trae Young.

Also, if anyone cares to be honest his pro career was a huge topic for debate near the end of the shaggy days, with many posters here swearing he would be total trash. the reality is tthat he shag folded at just the right time for a lot of people on this board. there were several other active arguments that died with shaggy that have not aged well: people arguing that shaka was good, that jericho sims was good/going to be great, that luka doncic was overhyped, that kawhi may be damaged goods, among others. a whole bunch of the same people were making these same arguments, and thankfully for y'all they all died with the site. revisiting some of those arguments would be roof stoof.

Edited by Goo Punch

4 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Are you suggesting Trae is better or going to be better than Luka? I mean, hes not terrible, and has progressed since his rough start of the season, but I don't see any way he outperforms Luka over their careers.

what? not at all. i'm reiteraring my position from back on shaggy- many people said trae would flop, but i've always contended that the much more open, spaced, fast paced nba game would suit trae. and for all of those old debates that i referenced i currently find myself on the correct side of each one of those. tbh a few of the people who opposed me on those arguments have been calling me out lately for various disagreements so i'm really just being a prick and twisting the knife a little bit, without calling them out by name.

6 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I'll say Trae Young is still trash. He's getting garbage stats on a garbage team.

i mean ATL is an absolute dumpster fire, and i agree that his stats are empty and don't mean anything, but he's still already outperforming the expectations of many of our posters, and i still believe that the he's better suited for the nba game than he was college. i think he has a long career with some really nice career numbers at the end of the day, and i totally believe he could be a piece on a contending team. he would need to be in the right system, he doesn't fit in just any team, but for example the Kings are an up and coming team where I think he would thrive.

Its Trae Young.
Also, if anyone cares to be honest his pro career was a huge topic for debate near the end of the shaggy days, with many posters here swearing he would be total trash. the reality is tthat he shag folded at just the right time for a lot of people on this board. there were several other active arguments that died with shaggy that have not aged well: people arguing that shaka was good, that jericho sims was good/going to be great, that luka doncic was overhyped, that kawhi may be damaged goods, among others. a whole bunch of the same people were making these same arguments, and thankfully for y'all they all died with the site. revisiting some of those arguments would be roof stoof.

Have you not figured this out by now? It's the OU factor. The same was said about Kyler Murray when he went to OU.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
27 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:
  Its Trae Young.

Read more  

Have you not figured this out by now? It's the OU factor. The same was said about Kyler Murray when he went to OU.

Oh I know that's a fact. Believe it or not we had people back on shaggy who were saying that Von Miller was overrated and shouldn't be a top 10 pick coming out of a&m. thankfully those people got jumped on pretty quickly by most everyone else, but the bias around here is real. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

Oh I know that's a fact. Believe it or not we had people back on shaggy who were saying that Von Miller was overrated and shouldn't be a top 10 pick coming out of a&m. thankfully those people got jumped on pretty quickly by most everyone else, but the bias around here is real. 

I would guess this is how it goes for most fanbases. It's more of them hoping that player does not pan out I would believe. Same for Baker Mayfield. It's natural.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

i mean ATL is an absolute dumpster fire, and i agree that his stats are empty and don't mean anything, but he's still already outperforming the expectations of many of our posters, and i still believe that the he's better suited for the nba game than he was college. i think he has a long career with some really nice career numbers at the end of the day, and i totally believe he could be a piece on a contending team. he would need to be in the right system, he doesn't fit in just any team, but for example the Kings are an up and coming team where I think he would thrive.

Meh. I think he’ll be a scorer on bad teams for his entire career. 

I think his only role with the kings would be an off the bench scorer. He isn’t better than Buddy or Fox and shouldn’t take minutes from either.

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Meh. I think he’ll be a scorer on bad teams for his entire career. 

I think his only role with the kings would be an off the bench scorer. He isn’t better than Buddy or Fox and shouldn’t take minutes from either.

I meant more in the sense that he fits into their scheme and that they are an up and coming team. I agree that Hield and Fox >>>> Trae.

Oh and he was definitely drafted too high. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

I meant more in the sense that he fits into their scheme and that they are an up and coming team. I agree that Hield and Fox >>>> Trae.

Ah I misunderstood. I agree he needs a team that would allow him to space the floor and run and translation. The question will always be if he can become at least serviceable on defense. If not he’s an off bench offense guy in my opinion.

8 hours ago, kopp0e said:

This guy should be in the lead of the MVP race

I'd still pick Giannis if the season ended today. But PG would get strong consideration as my runner-up. Which is insane when you consider that there's another guy out there averaging 36 a night. 

I know that the NBA doesn't give the most improved award to a really good player who becomes a fucking superstar (it'll probably go to Hield or Siakam or Russell), but maybe they should.

George is averaging career highs in points (by over 5 a game), 3's per game, rebounds, assists, and steals. He leads the league in steals and is 2nd in points and deflections (both to Harden, actually). OKC completely falls apart anytime he's not on the court.

He's going to finish in the top 3 in MVP and DPOY. And he and Giannis look destined to remove KD and LeBron from their annual first team All-NBA spots, even with KD having one of his best years. Not bad.

Edited by aggie08

32 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

PG is a solid third and deserves to make the podium in the MVP race. Harden/Greek  1, 2 for me. 

This is shaping up to be like the 2016-2017 top 3. You can make an equally compelling case for any of them, and I don't think any pick would be "wrong."

9 hours ago, kopp0e said:

PG/PG/PG..! This guy should be in the lead of the MVP race, as he has primed himself to be "Playoff P", worthy this season...

I'd still put Giannis over him but I 'm glad he is all the way back.   I've always been a big fan of his game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

I know that the NBA doesn't give the most improved award to a really good player who becomes a fucking superstar (it'll probably go to Hield or Siakam or Russell), but maybe they should.

George is averaging career highs in points (by over 5 a game), 3's per game, rebounds, assists, and steals. He leads the league in steals and is 2nd in points and deflections (both to Harden, actually). OKC completely falls apart anytime he's not on the court.

He's going to finish in the top 3 in MVP and DPOY. And he and Giannis look destined to remove KD and LeBron from their annual first team All-NBA spots, even with KD having one of his best years. Not bad.

Hield having a breakout year is hard to top for most improved, but PG13 has definitely taken that next step. OKC is just missing the pieces around him and Westbrook to take advantage of that.

i also thing trae young is going to be pretty good.  never as good as luka, but still an above average nba starter (maybe makes 2-3 all star games).  

all people focused on in college was his scoring, but he was probably the best passer in college basketball last year.  

oh, his handle is pretty solid as well:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah paul george is fucking beasting right now.  still not sure i really believe in okc as a legit threat, but i'm a lot less sure i don't believe in them than i was a month ago.

I still need to see them do well against a smart, well-coached team (like Utah) in a playoff series, where game-to-game adjustments become critical.  Their offense is as rudimentary as it's always been, and they have a tendency to resort to bad habits when things aren't going well (looking at you, Russ).  Utah and Snyder completely undressed them with their schemes and execution last year (though, having Carmelo to target helped that significantly).  But if PG continues to shoot over people like they're not even there, maybe their limitations won't matter.  

They're basically just a slightly inferior version of their '15-'16 squad, and that team obviously had no issues advancing in the playoffs and out-athlete'ing Golden State down to the wire.

On 2/22/2019 at 8:33 PM, Goo Punch said:
  Hide contents

Its Trae Young.

I remeber someone on the old site making the argument that Sam Ehlinger sucked and would never be any good. Hell I think they made that argument on Surly too

12 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I remeber someone on the old site making the argument that Sam Ehlinger sucked and would never be any good. Hell I think they made that argument on Surly too

i hope you aren't insinuating that it was me, because i've never said that sam ehlinger sucks.

also, people who don't have the guts to ever post an original opinion of their own aren't allowed to talk smack to people who put their own opinions out there day after day after day. 

33 minutes ago, Tommy Nobis said:

The warriors bitch about everything. You’re drunk.

Yes, with the Lob City Clippers disbanded and Cousins in the Bay, the Warriors have taken their mantle as most obnoxious ref yappers.  The Rockets--namely Chris Paul--are probably 2nd worst, or close to it.  So, when they play each other, it can be insufferable at times. Thank you for explaining my point to me.

Edited by aggie08

I cannot understand how someone as rich and famous as john wall can manage to get a tattoo this personal and *not* get it done by an elite tattoo artist. 

but hey, i suppose there's virtually no difference in that tattoo and these ones:

8c1447c1a880685cb6da0be35c98fa87.jpg

d9c7d17ae44e534096ec138f9fd8cd54.jpg

054eda5f746cf7a394c2ef81d76ca26f.jpg

Edited by Goo Punch

23 hours ago, Llogg said:

Hield having a breakout year is hard to top for most improved, but PG13 has definitely taken that next step. OKC is just missing the pieces around him and Westbrook to take advantage of that.

I'd give that to D'Angelo Russell if the season ended today

23 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah paul george is fucking beasting right now.  still not sure i really believe in okc as a legit threat, but i'm a lot less sure i don't believe in them than i was a month ago.

I still can't put anyone in front of the "machine" that is Durant/ Curry, but the Thunder at least now have a shot... (also great win for the Rox last night)..!