2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

42 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Maybe but it might be less, though.  Davis could also get injured again.  

The Zion Williamson lottery will be interesting in how that shakes out. 

The Lakers package basically sucked and isn’t going anywhere. NOP has zero incentive to move him until Boston/Knicks could get involved

4 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Or he could walk and they get nothing.  Boston isn't trading him unless he commits.  He seems willing to commit to NY but they don't have anything to give up unless they get the #1 pick.  

He won't be a free agent. There's no scenario in which they get nothing.

If Kyrie stays, Boston will happily take the risk that a serious championship run next season will change his mind. LA probably won't be available for him in 2020 anyway.

So they lose out on a package that's headlined by Kyle Kuzma. So what?
I do think the Lakers deal offers the best chance to remain competitive immediately...but that's all they'd be: competitive. Toiling around in the 9 or 10 seed range with last year's Laker squad reunited, with no means to get a top 10 pick and without a single truly exciting player on the roster.
New Orleans is trading one of 5 or so best players on the planet. Their goal should be getting back a player with true All-NBA potential and/or a bunch of picks projected to be towards the top of the draft, which also enables them to tank in the short term and have multiple top picks.
The Celtics offer both of those things; the Lakers offer neither. Maybe Boston fans apart, and LA's offer is all that's left, but it's worth the risk. At worst, LA pulls Hart out of the deal or something. 

I think they’ll be in a good spot this summer. The goal should obviously be Tatum, and I think Boston ends up conceding. But if not, the Knicks could center a package around Knox, DSJ and the #1 or #2 pick (though I’m not sure they would trade the Zion pick). I think I might roll the dice on Knox, DSJ and Barrett over Lonzo, Ingram and Kuzma.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

The Lakers offer will still be there in June.

Along with a Celtics offer, a Clippers offer, and possibly a whoever gets the #1 pick offer.

The core of it will but they traded Zubac, who is a metrics darling, and IMO has the potential to be a good bench big or maybe marginal starter for cheap.  So, it's already been impacted in some way and will be a "worse" deal dependent on how they feel about Zubac.  To me this was a downside in not at least engaging a little, but I agree the Lakers will trot out the same basic offer in June or whenever headlined by whatever the Pelicans want.  The issue for the Lakers, what does 30 more games and the playoffs do for the trade values of their offer??  Does it improve it or make it worse?

56 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Or he could walk and they get nothing.  Boston isn't trading him unless he commits.  He seems willing to commit to NY but they don't have anything to give up unless they get the #1 pick.  

This is silliness.  Literally every report has been Boston will make an offer for him regardless if he doesn't commit.  If their offer sucks, there will be other teams looking to change the makeup of their team and willing to push their chips in plus the Lakers offer will still be there.

21 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I think they’ll be in a good spot this summer. The goal should obviously be Tatum, and I think Boston ends up conceding. But if not, the Knicks could center a package around Knox, DSJ and the #1 or #2 pick (though I’m not sure they would trade the Zion pick). I think I might roll the dice on Knox, DSJ and Barrett over Lonzo, Ingram and Kuzma.

If the Knicks want KD, I would imagine they'd trade the #1 pick, regardless of who it may be.  It could get Kyrie too and they'd have their own big 3 in a dream best case scenario.  The issue is Kyrie is injury prone.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If the Knicks get Kyrie, KD, AND AD after two decades of heinous ineptitude, I may literally shit myself.

I give it a 2% shot.... the ping pong balls would be the first thing which would need to fall their way.  Regardless, if they could get 2 out of those 3, I think they'd feel fortunate although Kyrie feels like Amare a bit to me when they got him....

Regardless, waiting until the lottery was sound strategic thinking as well....

I give it a 2% shot.... the ping pong balls would be the first thing which would need to fall their way.  Regardless, if they could get 2 out of those 3, I think they'd feel fortunate although Kyrie feels like Amare a bit to me when they got him....
Regardless, waiting until the lottery was sound strategic thinking as well....

As someone who attends and watches many Knicks games and begrudgingly follows the team due solely to proximity, 2% seems high. They are utterly incompetent, and all signs point to them making a complete mess out of this situation. They’ll probably end up drafting Cam Reddish and signing Boogie and Jimmy Butler to long term max deals.

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

As someone who attends and watches many Knicks games and begrudgingly follows the team due solely to proximity, 2% seems high. They are utterly incompetent, and all signs point to them making a complete mess out of this situation. They’ll probably end up drafting Cam Reddish and signing Boogie and Jimmy Butler to long term max deals.

I do think the Knicks may get in on the Boogie free agency if they miss out on KD and/or Kyrie free agencies.  Could also see the Clippers looking at Boogie as well as LAL.  Knicks gotta get someone right???

40 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

It's basic negotiations.  They have no leverage and a declining asset and that asset has a history of injuries.  

The Pels are the only team with leverage right now. Now this time next year your statement would make sense but as of right now the Pels hold all the cards. 

On top of that throw in that a year and a half from now, when Brow is an FA, the Lakers and Knicks likely won’t have cap space to sign him. He will get moved this summer in all likelihood but moving him now would have been asinine 

6 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The Pels would have still have all of next yr to try and get a deal done.

Just now, BigOrange1 said:

if you're of the opinion that jayson tatum is a future all nba type of player and none of the young lakers are, then he is actually worth more in the summer than he was this past week.

Depends if Davis commits to the Celtics, which he says he won't.  The Celtics aren't going to trade Tatum for a year of Davis, especially if Kyrie takes off.

6 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Depends if Davis commits to the Celtics, which he says he won't.  The Celtics aren't going to trade Tatum for a year of Davis, especially if Kyrie takes off.

Boston believes they're re-signing Kyrie (although I would have reservations) and if they trade for Davis, that only enhances their ability to get Kyrie and have Davis sign L-T.  Kyrie and Davis are besties (maybe not besties but very, very close).

10 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Of course he says he won't. It very well might be true (at this moment), but I also know that you shouldn't believe a single thing out of the Davis camp about Boston. If his 1st option is LA, he has no choice but to make Boston seem like a hellscape that he'd never consider. The slightest hint of public interest in the Celtics between now and June guarantees that Boston throws the kitchen sink at New Orleans. 

20 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If the Celts keep KI and get AD they win the title. They will win the title and hope to convince AD after that.

6 hours ago, Machinator said:

6ers would be morons to sign off on that. Another Klutch client that may start a shit show to get traded.

As for Davis, he can walk to LA in 2020, but it'd be at a significantly reduced pay check to if they trade him and it'd be with a Lebron that's two years older. Can he wait that much longer to go there if he does want to legitimately compete? That alone is why Davis/Lakers will still have that offer there in the summer, regardless if the Celtics want to give Tatum up or not.

29 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

6ers would be morons to sign off on that. Another Klutch client that may start a shit show to get traded.

As for Davis, he can walk to LA in 2020, but it'd be at a significantly reduced pay check to if they trade him and it'd be with a Lebron that's two years older. Can he wait that much longer to go there if he does want to legitimately compete? That alone is why Davis/Lakers will still have that offer there in the summer, regardless if the Celtics want to give Tatum up or not.

It would be just short of impossible for Simmons to try and get to LA.  The only chance would be for him to take the QO so he can be UFA.  He can't do that for another yr anyway.  No one turns down the first extension after the rookie deal.   He would be giving up about 20M and risking 100s more if he got hurt while on the QO.

Sixers would have zero reason to even consider trading him.  And even if they somehow decided to trade him he would have zero leverage to try and force a destination.   Similar to the KAT hypothetical.

Edited by d2o

The rampant traveling in the NBA is something that I don't blame on the officials. A group of refs didn't get together one day years ago and say, "Hey, let's just stop calling traveling to make our jobs easier."

We are where we are because of decades of star players, owners, and the league itself wearing down the officials to be more lax with their whistles to let players--especially the stars--do amazing, athletic things.

I wonder if all the double step-back shenanigans finally creates a real pushback. We can hope.

Edited by aggie08