2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

Just now, ztejas said:

Nice. Did Bob Myers write that narrative for you?

So are the Lakers still playing like a playoff team? How does the Porzingis trade affect your pending unauthorized Kevin Durant biography? Inquiring minds want to know. 

I've tried to be civil. You're passionate about basketball, and that's cool. But this little condescending, "I know way more about the game than you smucks" schtick just makes you an annoying little shit.

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Ok cool. Nice conversation.

You literally said Klay is asked to do “zilch”. That’s a really dumb take. Does he deserve it this year over some others? Prolly not. Was your take extremely hyperbolic and worthy of a hyperbolic response. Absolutely 

Dude. Klay has a fucking negative 1.6 BPM right now. Yes, he isn't really asked to do anything, and no, the Warriors do not need him to coast into the playoffs. 

So be as "hyperbolic" as you want, that team doesn't skip a beat unless they lose Durant or Curry, and Draymond is more important than Klay is. Cousins is a better player, too.

But yes. Because he's on the Warriors let's give him an all star nod and act like he's playing like a hall of fame level shooting guard.

30 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

That's the thing, now they NEED to land two. I never bought into it, but selling KD or KI in Zingis and a top 5 pick was at least something. No one is going there on their own with what they have now. They wouldn't get out of the 2nd round, if that. Even KD + a Butler level talent isn't a championship contending team with that roster and their front office. They need to hit two grand slams in the same inning, or they'll probably end up with nobody.

Oh I agree. They put themselves in a terrible position to get anyone by having no one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Dude. Klay has a fucking negative 1.6 BPM right now. Yes, he isn't really asked to do anything, and no, the Warriors do not need him to coast into the playoffs. 

So be as "hyperbolic" as you want, that team doesn't skip a beat unless they lose Durant or Curry, and Draymond is more important than Klay is. Cousins is a better player, too.

But yes. Because he's on the Warriors let's give him an all star nod and act like he's playing like a hall of fame level shooting guard.

Klay is their best perimeter defender.

Well he is a hall of fame shooting guard so...

You’re a child so I’ll stick to talking to the adults. Have fun.

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

So are the Lakers still playing like a playoff team? How does the Porzingis trade affect your pending unauthorized Kevin Durant biography? Inquiring minds want to know. 

I've tried to be civil. You're passionate about basketball, and that's cool. But this little condescending, "I know way more about the game than you smucks" schtick just makes you an annoying little shit.

Especially when he has repeatedly had completely asinine takes.

37 minutes ago, d2o said:

The more I think about it. Knicks will have Knox, DSJ, Mitchell Robinson (who has shown some flashes) and possibly Zion.   That aint a half bad sell to FAs.   They also have a good coach in Fizdale.   Of course its the Knicks so they will manage to fuck it up.

No free agent is excited about the idea of playing with Knox, DSJ, and a high draft pick. If anything, two guys would be trying to sign there and getting the Knicks to trade the rest to bring in a 3rd star so they'd actually have a chance.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

14 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Klay is their best perimeter defender.

Well he is a hall of fame shooting guard so...

You’re a child so I’ll stick to talking to the adults. Have fun.

You two are like a rehashed "The Jump" segment minus the NBA experience, journalism degrees and female attractiveness. I might return here when posters want to actually discuss basketball. Until then, have a nice day and enjoy your lukewarm, unsweetened oatmeal NBA discussion. 

22 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Soon every forum on Surly will have a dedicated ztejas thread, like 9.95. I’ve always held the belief that no poster could ever match Rocko’s unique combination of idiocy an irrational confidence, but I’ll be damned if he isn’t trying.

Maybe ztejas IS rocko?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

man..pelicans were spooky dangerous with boogie last year. i know they added mirotic late after boogie went down but if all stay healthy...thats a legit 3 big man rotation with jrue/fillers at sf/SG.

probably not good enough to contend but no team wants to face Boogie/Brow/Mirotic in the playoffs.  things fell off the wagon pretty quick even tho I believe they swept Portland last year.

The Knicks have the money to spend on two max contracts, if they win the lotto and draft Zion that makes them an attractive destination considering it's the NBA'a largest market and they will have some decent pieces and draft capital to work with. Everyone just assumes Kawhi is going to flock to the west coast after this season as well, but a certain asshole who holds an immense amount of influence over him resides close to the big apple and that could become a factor as well. I wouldn't underestimate a Knicks team spear headed by Zion, Kyrie and Kawhi or KD. NY was one of the destinations Kyrie listed when he  demanded a trade from the Cavs so he has interest in playing there. KD could have the itch to escape GS and further add to his legacy rather than being the guy who joined a well oiled machine and won some rings. Kawhi is going to do whatever his Uncle tells him to do, additionally he rehabbed in NY when he was "injured".

I know this much it's going to be one of the biggest NBA off seasons I can ever remember. There are a ton of marquee free agents and I wouldn't be surprised if NOLA holds onto the brow for the remainder of the season choosing to deal him during the off season.

8 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

man..pelicans were spooky dangerous with boogie last year. i know they added mirotic late after boogie went down but if all stay healthy...thats a legit 3 big man rotation with jrue/fillers at sf/SG.

probably not good enough to contend but no team wants to face Boogie/Brow/Mirotic in the playoffs.  things fell off the wagon pretty quick even tho I believe they swept Portland last year.

It was enough to bring back Boogie IMO.  I know they made the lowball offer after he went down but I still feel like not doing more to keep him was bad move even with the injury

Wait, Dorian Finney Smith and JJ barea are European?

You know what, my bad, I put DFS in there on accident. They just play him a lot as one of the young core.

JJB is a foreign born player not a Euro. We usually lump them all together like Manu is kind of lumped with them when he’s not from Europe either.

I'd say that maybe New York does have some intel on KD and KI wanting to team up, but reportedly New Orleans turned down the Knicks' AD pitch. If NO had agreed, that would have only left room for one. No one knows anything right now.

It would be pretty interesting to see two guys with pretty prickly relationships with the media ending up in NY.

31 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

seems like things are going well with kyrie in boston.

*Mr. Burns* Exxxxxxxxxxxxcellent

I'm gonna laugh so hard when he leaves Boston this off-season. Snobby ass Celtics fans were already planning parades when they got Kyrie, and they aren't going to win shit with him. I hope he leaves them empty handed, and finds a place that will pay him a full max. Ainge will have a lot of egg on his face if that happens and they don't land AD.  If I were Boston, I would put Kyrie on the table in order to get AD right now. 

Just when everybody thought that AD offers will get better in the summer..... I gotta tip my hat to Klutch, their collusion game is incredible.

With that said, my guess now is that the Pelicans will trade AD to the best non-Lakers offer next week.

1 minute ago, Chapo said:

Just when everybody thought that AD offers will get better in the summer..... I gotta tip my hat to Klutch, their collusion game is incredible.

With that said, my guess now is that the Pelicans will trade AD to the best non-Lakers offer next week.

I'd still predict that AD will wind up a Celtic. I think Boston will make Tatum available, so long as they take Hayward as well. 

But who the fuck knows. Like you're alluding to, the timing of all this Kyrie noise doesn't feel coincidental. Obviously, if Kyrie stays, Boston is much more desirable for AD. But the league's power brokers have other ideas.

Boston should see how much of a fire sale NO is having right now. Ship KI, Hayward, and a pick to them in exchange for Holiday, Mirotic and Randle. Improve defense with Holiday and have him under contract a few more years to provide stability. Randle's on a tryout for a long-term deal. Mirotic is nearly a 1:1 replacement for Hayward production wise at this point, but he's cheap and he's only got one year on his deal. I think Boston showed last year they can overcome the loss of Irving's offensive production with the guys they have.

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

I wonder if the Mavs will try to get him into some games before years' end. It would probably be nice to see how he looks before committing $150M+ to him, but they don't make this trade if they aren't already resigned to paying him the max. Unless KP just despises Dallas, I don't think he'll follow through on signing a qualifying offer with that much money on the table and his injury history.

With a day to process, I've softened a little on this being a bad trade for the Knicks. It was either pay an injured 7'3" guy (not a great NBA track record there) who doesn't really want to be there a boat load of money, or trade him now while they still can, dump bad money (Hardaway), and basically shout their intentions to sign two huge names from the rooftops. It's a huge swing, and I guess more power to them for risking the very real--probably more likely--chance of having it blow up in their face. 

I just can't believe that they weren't able to get more than a player best suited for the early 2000's and two picks that likely won't be in the lottery for a unicorn (I hate using that word) and best asset who's still under team control.

Edited by aggie08

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I wonder if the Mavs will try to get him into some games before years' end. It would probably bbe nice to see how he looks before committing $150M+ to him, but they don't make this trade if they aren't already resigned to paying him the max. Unless KP just despises Dallas, I don't think he'll follow through on signing a qualifying offer with that much money on the table and his injury history.

20 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I wonder if the Mavs will try to get him into some games before years' end. It would probably be nice to see how he looks before committing $150M+ to him, but they don't make this trade if they aren't already resigned to paying him the max. Unless KP just despises Dallas, I don't think he'll follow through on signing a qualifying offer with that much money on the table and his injury history.

With a day to process, I've softened a little on this being a bad trade for the Knicks. It was either pay an injured 7'3" guy (not a great NBA track record there) who doesn't really want to be there a boat load of money, or trade him now while they still can, dump bad money (Hardaway), and basically shout their intentions to sign two huge names from the rooftops. It's a huge swing, and I guess more power to them for risking the very real--probably more likely--chance of having it blow up in their face. 

I just can't believe that they weren't able to get more than a player best suited for the early 2000's and two picks that likely won't be in the lottery for a unicorn (I hate using that word) and best asset who's still under team control.

This was never a bad trade for NY. Anyone who thought so was making a knee jerk reaction. As you said, KP didn't want to be in NY. An injured player making demands? Fuck em. Ship him out. He hasn't even lived up to the hype that has been there. Ligament/knee damage for a big man is a big gamble. This isn't Steph's ankle issues being a small guard. So far, KP can't handle the wear and tear of an NBA season. NY gets a very good player in DSJ, expiring contracts and 2 first round picks. People say "well they could have gotten AD for this package". Well, by a lot of accounts, NO was not interested in KP. And I don't blame them. He's a very risky gamble. They are going to get a very high pick this year, maybe Zion. Him and DSJ is a very good way to start a team moving forward. I'd take them 2 over KP any day. Or if it isn't Zion, this draft is pretty deep at the top end. They can find someone to pair with DSJ.

Dallas better tank the fuck out of the rest of this season. Try and get a top 5 pick this season to salvage losing DSJ. Get someone talented to pair with Luka and KP. 

26 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

This was never a bad trade for NY. Anyone who thought so was making a knee jerk reaction. As you said, KP didn't want to be in NY. An injured player making demands? Fuck em. Ship him out. He hasn't even lived up to the hype that has been there. Ligament/knee damage for a big man is a big gamble. This isn't Steph's ankle issues being a small guard. So far, KP can't handle the wear and tear of an NBA season. NY gets a very good player in DSJ, expiring contracts and 2 first round picks. People say "well they could have gotten AD for this package". Well, by a lot of accounts, NO was not interested in KP. And I don't blame them. He's a very risky gamble. They are going to get a very high pick this year, maybe Zion. Him and DSJ is a very good way to start a team moving forward. I'd take them 2 over KP any day. Or if it isn't Zion, this draft is pretty deep at the top end. They can find someone to pair with DSJ.

Dallas better tank the fuck out of the rest of this season. Try and get a top 5 pick this season to salvage losing DSJ. Get someone talented to pair with Luka and KP. 

You are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to high on DSJ. They got nothing of value in this trade except for cap space. And if they don’t get Zion this is not a deep draft. It’s basically RJ Barrett and Zion. After that there is a bunch of guys like Reddish, Langford, etc.

23 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Soon every forum on Surly will have a dedicated ztejas thread, like 9.95. I’ve always held the belief that no poster could ever match Rocko’s unique combination of idiocy an irrational confidence, but I’ll be damned if he isn’t trying.

Idiocy? I called Durant to the Knicks in November. And called Bru to Texas in December. 

Not going to argue "irrational confidence"

Enjoy your thread.

Interesting.    I always thought how Ainge did IT4 was gonna come back to bite them.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25902808/anthony-davis-sr-want-son-boston-cites-treatment-isaiah-thomas

"I would never want my son to play for Boston after what they done to Isaiah Thomas," Anthony Davis Sr. told ESPN on Friday, referencing the former Celtics star point guard who was traded for Kyrie Irving amid his recovery from a hip injury. "No loyalty. Guy gives his heart and soul and they traded him."

Edited by d2o